PDA

View Full Version : MGL - T9 Game 9: Dr Micro

DKong
21st September 2009, 09:02 PM
Game 9: Dr Micro
Rom: drmicro

Randomly selected from the MGL 9 game list, game 31 on the list (http://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php?t=25399)

http://www.arcade-history.com/images/game/685_1.png

No Current Hi-Score

Dr. Micro ? 1983 Sanritsu.
Main CPU : Z80 (@ 3.072 Mhz)
Sound Chips : (3x) SN76496 (@ 4.608 Mhz), MSM5205 (@ 384 Khz)

Screen orientation : Vertical
Video resolution : 224 x 256 pixels
Screen refresh : 60.00 Hz
Palette colors : 32

Players : 2
Control : 4-way joystick
Buttons : 1

Dr Micro Description

An early platform game in which the player must defeat a mad scientist, avoiding and destroying his evil creations in the process.

The game consists of 3 single-screen levels :

On the first the player must move from the left to the right of the screen, dropping dpown onto constantly moving metal pillars and shooting the enemies.

On the second level, the player must steer a floating ball around the screen, killing as many enemies as possible. Once enough enemies have been killed, an exit will open which the player must enter. The floating ball gradually dimishes and the player will have to drop to the bottom of the screen several times to get a replacment ball.

The final screen takes place on the scientist's production line; with machinary that must be carfully negotiated. Two large robots bar the route to the scientists and must be destroyed before the scientist can be reached.

()

Games are picked through a random generator from the list compiled in the MGL 9 thread. To have your games included in the pick you need to submit a score. You can add to this list at any time.
Remember to make your score valid you need to post your score in the subject line and don't forget your screen shot, any troubles let me know.
Mid week bonus of 10 MGL points are awarded to the highest submitted score as at Midnight Wednesday. The highest submitted score at the end of the MGL week will receive 100 MGL points.
Your scores need to be in by next Monday 28th of September BY 8PM (NSW daylight savings time).
DKong

DKong
22nd September 2009, 12:11 PM
Thought I had never played this game before , but that first screen seems vaguely familiar.
Seems to play OK on the keyboard, time to give it a go on the cab:)

Jed
22nd September 2009, 02:11 PM
heehee this is one of my nominations :)

Pretty basic little game, only three screens to learn but they are quite different. 2nd screen is my fave and there are lotsa bono's to be had for players who are looking.

Expect to see some big scores on this one, given the talent in this comp I reckon someone will get a million or above - probably Fringert, the 'Rain Man' of retro video games ? :lol

Game on.

DKong
22nd September 2009, 02:18 PM

Pretty basic little game, only three screens to learn but they are quite different. 2nd screen is my fave and there are lotsa bono's to be had for players who are looking.

Expect to see some big scores on this one, given the talent in this comp I reckon someone will get a million or above - probably Fringert, the 'Rain Man' of retro video games ? :lol

Game on.

Good game.
I have worked out the "point pushing" on level 2 :)

fringert
22nd September 2009, 05:11 PM

Game on.

Hey jammasized,kiss my :bum: :lol

Jed
22nd September 2009, 05:24 PM
Hey jammasized,kiss my :bum: :lol

Erm..... Fringert I was actually paying you a compliment... :laugh:

You're clearly the man to beat in MGL9 :p

fringert
22nd September 2009, 05:35 PM
erm..... Fringert i was actually paying you a compliment... :laugh:

you're clearly the man to beat in mgl9 :p As was i!:p

not after my wife stops studying, won't have all this spare time!<_<

kane
22nd September 2009, 07:28 PM
Decent little game, weird at first but getting more coordinated now, don't know about a million though, it gets a bit fast further along...

EDIT: OK, screenshots are of - 1 million part 45 - 2 million part 88 - part 100 - and death at part 104.

ostybeef
22nd September 2009, 07:53 PM
i had never heard of it before and happened to get a dr micro board in a pack of unworking boards.
i had a real hard time trying to find anything out about it over the net and started to think that the tag on it was wrong but then i found it on a small site in some corner of the net

i might go have to try find a mame version and have a game and see what its like

DKong
22nd September 2009, 08:01 PM
It does get fast fourth time around.

fringert
22nd September 2009, 11:08 PM
I concur with kane ,a million:o or maybe that should be 2 million
part 130 my index finger is buggered!

Jed
22nd September 2009, 11:24 PM
It would be a marathon effort to get a million I agree - but it's definitely doable when you see what happens after set 5 (or 6, cant quite remember) ;)

Edit: Score update. Mashed my previous best on this game, this MGL thing really is stretching me :)

2nd Edit: 2 million + :D:D

Final score update: Had the best game of my life on anything - crazy score that took almost 4 hours of play and left me in kind of a daze once I had finally lost my last man, at part 208.

I point pressed almost every time 2nd screen to a certain extent then bailed. Once I figure out how to get INP files working on my multi-game cab setup, am going to do it all again and submit it as Twimn Galaxies lists 1.2mill as their #1, and MARP lists 3.3mill as their #1. Could do it again I think without trouble.

So the pics:

1: 1st rollback, Part 41, 1,019,520
2: 2nd rollback, Part 78, 2,011,030
3. 3rd rollback, Part 119, 3,022,000
4. 4th rollback, Part 162, 4,007,020
5. 5th rollback, Part 204, 5,002,790
6. Death, part 208, 5,081,070

Dkong, I took heaps more pics of the score climbing as I went along, so if you want further verification over and above than these 6 'milestone' pics, just ask I'll send you the whole lot. Have pics of the Parts rolling back from 99 to 00 twice but this site only allows 6 max uploads.

henrybulldog
23rd September 2009, 07:15 PM
obviously im bringing out the retard patrol by asking this question but so i shoot the frogs in level one. level two, im not even sure what im suppose to be doing. then again i can only amasse 52k on cc after one hour of grinding.

you sure you guys dont want to play for cash? dead money walking here.

DKong
23rd September 2009, 10:02 PM
A bit addictive this one, just realised I can move the platforms on level one <doh>, now getting stuck on level 2 point pushing ;)
Maybe the first incarnation of a Mega man type of game
1 . The Dr Evil
2. he makes Robots
3. you have a little man fighting the Evil :laugh:

We need more info on this game!!
Great game, love it, well nominated Jammasized, bonus midweek MGL hugs to you:p

Jed
23rd September 2009, 11:29 PM
A bit addictive this one, just realised I can move the platforms on level one <doh>, now getting stuck on level 2 point pushing ;)

Glad you're enjoying it! Dr Micro was a fave cocktail of mine back in the early 80's - a 'goto' machine when I was low on 20's as a high school wagger :laugh:

Updated my score - I reckon I can push a million by next Monday - hopefully...

I agree there's not much info on this game at all on the net, KLOV has nothing which is pretty rare.

PS Dkong dont point press too much on the 2nd screen - you invariably lose more lives than it's worth, as you probably have found out, chasing those bonos! I usually point press the bee-jesus out of it the first time through, then only take a few of the animals for the rest of the time, just keep getting through the screens instead, those floating things can be nasty.

Hint: Once you have killed the scientist 5 times, you're in for a very pleasant surprise. :)

DKong
23rd September 2009, 11:44 PM
Glad you're enjoying it! Dr Micro was a fave cocktail of mine back in the early 80's - a 'goto' machine when I was low on 20's as a high school wagger :laugh:

Updated my score - I reckon I can push a million by next Monday - hopefully...

I agree there's not much info on this game at all on the net, KLOV has nothing which is pretty rare.

PS Dkong dont point press too much on the 2nd screen - you invariably lose more lives than it's worth, as you probably have found out, chasing those bonos! I usually point press the bee-jesus out of it the first time through, then only take a few of the animals for the rest of the time, just keep getting through the screens instead, those floating things can be nasty.

Hint: Once you have killed the scientist 5 times, you're in for a very pleasant surprise. :)

HAHA agree on the point pressing on level 2, set my self a limit now (don't be greedy :laugh:)
I am guessing through 5 times goes back to original level 1 ..slow.:unsure
Mcloving the game though :)

SectionZ
24th September 2009, 07:06 PM
1 . The Dr Evil
2. he makes Robots

Am I playing the same game ? I don't see anything good about it :(

I'll always give a game a chance & I have had about 10 games, if anything i'm disliking it more everytime I play! 120k so far, I'll give it another go on the W/E.

kane
24th September 2009, 07:09 PM
I see what Jammasized is hinting around at now, I just cracked 700K and I guarantee a million or more out of me before Monday. Score updated on first page...

Jed
24th September 2009, 07:55 PM
Nice one Kane, I'll stand by my original statement, could be a few million plus scores on this one?

By the way - the #1 spot on Twin Galaxies for this game is around 1.1 million (A guy in South Aussie no less, Robert Macauley, has heaps of big scores on TG for many many games) - anyone know this guy or is he already here :) If I could do an INP recording on my multi-cab setup I'd love to, as I'd love to have a crack at the TG high. :D

PS That top score on TG is 100% completed. So it seems the game only goes through 3 times till it ends based on that. Part 45 is the final screen ? :unsure

Foot
24th September 2009, 08:07 PM
Soooo 20K isn't a real good score?

SectionZ
24th September 2009, 09:33 PM
Nice one Kane, I'll stand by my original statement, could be a few million plus scores on this one?

By the way - the #1 spot on Twin Galaxies for this game is around 1.1 million (A guy in South Aussie no less, Robert Macauley, has heaps of big scores on TG for many many games) - anyone know this guy or is he already here :) If I could do an INP recording on my multi-cab setup I'd love to, as I'd love to have a crack at the TG high. :D

PS That top score on TG is 100% completed. So it seems the game only goes through 3 times till it ends based on that. Part 45 is the final screen ? :unsure

There are scores of 3mil+ input recordings don't count on TG.

fringert
24th September 2009, 10:38 PM
1 . The Dr Evil
2. he makes Robots

Once you get through level 18 its easier,slower I assume from this point on ( just gotta get there ) with men in tow!

Jed
25th September 2009, 09:10 AM
There are scores of 3mil+ input recordings don't count on TG.

Check again, dr micro *mame* record is 1.1mill, inp files are the only method accepted for submission of mame high scores.

Edit: You could also have an offical TG referree witness, but for most an INP file would be easier :)

kane
25th September 2009, 04:16 PM
Check again, dr micro *mame* record is 1.1mill

Check these score out then...

http://replay.marpirc.net/r/drmicro

Jed
25th September 2009, 04:41 PM
Huge!

I'm only interested in the Twin Galaxies high though myself :laugh:

You gotta wonder why these kinds of scores aren't in TG, what's up with that ?

Also a bit confused that 1.1mill says 100% completed on TG whereas these scores of 3 mill would go well beyond 100% ? :unsure

4 million now my quest then :lol

kane
25th September 2009, 05:26 PM
Also a bit confused that 1.1mill says 100% completed on TG whereas these scores of 3 mill would go well beyond 100% ? :unsure

That % refers to the percentage of the #1 score, so the first score is always 100% and you can see that the #2 score is 32.26% of the #1 score.

1,106,210 divided by 356,820 = 0.3226 or 32.26%

Thus ends todays math lesson, i'm going to load mame now...

Jed
25th September 2009, 05:59 PM
Thanks Kane - always wondered what that % was, I thought it was % completion of the game :redface

kane
25th September 2009, 09:21 PM
Woo! Got the million, plus a bit more up to Part 57. I've never rolled a game back to zero before, I like it.

I'm spent now though, took about an hour and a half...

fringert
26th September 2009, 12:56 AM
Had a big crack at this one tonight, lost most men point pressing on second level:realmad: congrats kane! I couldn't keep going,"good game" had me more interested in the new beatles on guitar hero:laugh: and the dude who does mario's voice.:lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZuDtoEdVCQ

Rat
26th September 2009, 07:11 AM
Huge!

I'm only interested in the Twin Galaxies high though myself :laugh:

You gotta wonder why these kinds of scores aren't in TG, what's up with that ?

4 million now my quest then :lol

The scores are probably not on TG because the players have given up trying to get a score verified. I have submitted three different #1 place .inp files over a period of a few years. Not one was verified and I never got a reply. I have spent hours reading the rules to make sure i had everything right, stuffed if I know? Shits me because i wanted to make it into the book.

MARP on the other hand are great, they verify my scores, I have one there that beats a TG record. Although I have not submitted an inp for ages, these days I only have time for the occasional MGL game :)

Jed
26th September 2009, 10:46 AM
Kane - Gauntlet thrown, cracked 2 million + last night, score updated :)

First time I ever made a million - then the second million I got without losing a life :) Still had 2 men left after rolling it back 2nd time, but lost them all within 190k.

The tune I couldn't get out of my head all last night, my girlfriend was pleading with me to stop humming and whistling it all night :laugh:

kane
26th September 2009, 01:30 PM

Challenge accepted. I'll have to clear a few hours and have another marathon session. Looking at that first screen shot, looks like you got 1 mil on the same part as I did, part 40, how cool, we are in sync.

fringert
26th September 2009, 04:50 PM

First time I ever made a million - then the second million I got without losing a life :) Still had 2 men left after rolling it back 2nd time, but lost them all within 190k.

The tune I couldn't get out of my head all last night, my girlfriend was pleading with me to stop humming and whistling it all night :laugh:

WTF! ARE YOU TWO THE ONLY ONES CAPABLE OF A BIG SCORE! C'MON EVERYONE ELSE,LETS SHOW THESE TWO THEY HAVE COMPETITION:lol

Jed
26th September 2009, 05:19 PM
Geez Fringert, better lay off that Red Bull :lol

kane
26th September 2009, 08:38 PM
haha, lol, I just beat your score Jammasized, by a _massive_ 1030 points!! Talk about close!

This time I did no point pressing at all, just ran straight for the exit every level, got upto part 101, rolled the part = number back to zero aswell.

err, gauntlet thrown back I suppose...

Jed
27th September 2009, 10:24 AM
haha, lol, I just beat your score Jammasized, by a _massive_ 1030 points!! Talk about close!

Oh, man... 1030 points!!! Well done though.

Well, it looks like I'll have to park myself in front of the machine for a couple hours before cutoff tomorrow.

I'm sure there's others holding scores back though! Once you get into the groove on this game, it's almost like you feel you can keep going and going an going...

DKong
27th September 2009, 10:32 AM
I feel tired hearing about these marathon game sessions, although a bit inspired;)

fringert
27th September 2009, 10:58 AM
Oh, man... 1030 points!!! Well done though.

Well, it looks like I'll have to park myself in front of the machine for a couple hours before cutoff tomorrow.

I'm sure there's others holding scores back though! Once you get into the groove on this game, it's almost like you feel you can keep going and going an going...

Jammasized do you listen to this when your in the groove ? :024::020:

Into the groove, Madonna - Music Video on Yahoo! Video (http://video.yahoo.com/watch/225015/1217481)

Jed
27th September 2009, 11:27 AM
Jammasized do you listen to this when your in the groove ?

No Fringert, I don't. :lame2:

kane
27th September 2009, 04:15 PM
Alright I'm done, no more Dr micro for me, beat me if you can! Score updated on first page.

MamePatrol
27th September 2009, 07:18 PM
What a lame score......

I've just been too busy to have a real crack at this game this week.
Seem's kinda cool, don't know about the music....??

http://i759.photobucket.com/albums/xx238/mamepatrol/th_0000.png (http://s759.photobucket.com/albums/xx238/mamepatrol/?action=view&current=0000.png)

Does anyone else have a 10 month old baby.............. :022:
How much toast do you think i'll find in this.....?

http://i759.photobucket.com/albums/xx238/mamepatrol/Ala.jpg

Rat
27th September 2009, 08:32 PM
I enjoy this game, don't think I will dedicate the time needed for a big score though.

SectionZ
28th September 2009, 11:10 AM
Had another game after this, got to part 16 & then the demo took over my game :confused:

Jed
28th September 2009, 03:28 PM
What a lame score......Seem's kinda cool, don't know about the music....??

Does anyone else have a 10 month old baby.............. :022:
How much toast do you think i'll find in this.....?

http://i759.photobucket.com/albums/xx238/mamepatrol/Ala.jpg

Ha ha very cute :)

The music is chitty chitty bang bang, and it's my dark passenger.

Kane - gone over the top in an absolute marathon late yesterday. Post when I get pics organised after work today. Game went almost 4 hours :o

kane
28th September 2009, 06:57 PM
6. Death, part 208, 5,081,070

Truly a mammoth effort for so many reasons. The difficulty in staying focused for that long and averaging over a million points per man, Dr.Micro just got his ass kicked!

Enough said, Jammasized is the man!

fringert
28th September 2009, 07:18 PM
Well done jammasized! can't see that score being beaten.

DKong
28th September 2009, 07:19 PM
:o:o Was going to play a last game, but after seeing that score reconsidered :laugh:

Fantastic scores Jammasized and kane :041::041::041::041::041:

Jed
28th September 2009, 07:45 PM
Thanks Kane :D Yeah my mind really started to wander after the 4th million, it was hard to keep focus. My last death was pretty stupid - never died that way before - fell into the water on the first screen, was getting kinda frazzled :120:

Thanks too DKong and Fringert, just seen your 2.9 - I knew you had one up your sleeve ;) Big score there too. And I agree about the index finger :)

DKong
28th September 2009, 07:49 PM
Whoops missed fringert's 2,947,460 well done all you guys .

MGL - T9
Game 9 Results

Game 9 is officially over

Thanks to those who participated and submitted scores

Results for Game 9: Dr Micro

Jammasized now holds the highscore for this game 5,081,070

1. Jammasized 5,081,070
110 points (includes bonus midweek points)

2. fringert 2,947,460
58 points

3. kane 2,373,920
47 points

4. SectionZ 633,640
12 points

5. DKong 224,000
4 points

6. Rat 174,460
3 points

7. MamePatrol
1 points

Wasn't 100% sure who took out midweek points please advise if incorrect :)

Leaderboard (http://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php?p=317848#post317848) as been updated.

Scoreboard (http://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php?t=13631) has been updated[/QUOTE]

sairuk
30th September 2009, 12:49 PM
bah, I completely missed this week. ah well.

Foot
2nd October 2009, 09:22 PM
bah, I completely missed this week. ah well.

Me too, I was off camping.

I might have got the first ever Zero if I did enter my score