PDA

View Full Version : MGL - T9 Game 8: Circus Charlie

DKong
14th September 2009, 08:38 PM
Game 8: Circus Charlie
Rom: circusc3 (This is the Konami no level select version)

Randomly selected from the MGL 9 game list, game 22 on the list (http://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php?t=25399)

http://www.klov.com/images/10/1048792417.jpg

http://www.klov.com/images/11/118124207031.png

Current HiScore held by Shock_And_Awe 210,220

Manufacturer: Konami
Year: 1984
Class: Wide Release
Genre: Platform
Type: Videogame
Monitor:

Orientation: Vertical
Type: Raster: Standard Resolution
CRT: Color
Conversion Class: Konami Classic
Number of Simultaneous Players: 1
Maximum number of Players: 2
Gameplay: Alternating
Control Panel Layout: Single Player Ambidextrous
Controls:
Joystick: 2-way (left, right)
Buttons: 1 [Jump]
Sound: Amplified Mono (one channel)

Circus Charlie Description

Guide Charlie through six different circus events including Fire Rings, Tight Rope, Trampoline, Ball Walk, Horse Back, and Flying Trapeze. Timer bonus points are added for finishing a level and more points are awarded for completing a round without losing Charlie. The game is over when all Circus Charlies are lost.

(http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?game_id=7341)

Games are picked through a random generator from the list compiled in the MGL 9 thread. To have your games included in the pick you need to submit a score. You can add to this list at any time.
Remember to make your score valid you need to post your score in the subject line and don't forget your screen shot, any troubles let me know.
Mid week bonus of 10 MGL points are awarded to the highest submitted score as at Midnight Wednesday. The highest submitted score at the end of the MGL week will receive 100 MGL points.
Your scores need to be in by next Monday 21st of September BY 8PM (NSW daylight savings time).
DKong

Jed
15th September 2009, 12:00 AM
Someone actually nominated this game as one of their favourites :lol

henrybulldog
15th September 2009, 12:44 AM
is there a quota on how many games people can nominate? if not maybe introduce it to avoid circus charlie incidence in the future?

cant wait for t10 im itching for it and its not the herpes.

EMupp
15th September 2009, 02:26 AM
I can't even work out what the hell to do on the tramampoline level.

MamePatrol
15th September 2009, 08:18 AM
The second time round is a bitch.

http://i759.photobucket.com/albums/xx238/mamepatrol/High%20Scores/0011.png

Brad
15th September 2009, 08:57 AM
I mught have nominated this game. Damn good game and my daughter is addicted to it.

Unfortunately my mame cab died the first week of the comp so I had to pull out =(

Brad

DKong
15th September 2009, 10:24 AM
I mught have nominated this game. Damn good game and my daughter is addicted to it.

Unfortunately my mame cab died the first week of the comp so I had to pull out =(

Brad

I like this game as well, controls/movement are smooth, graphics are great ( for the time :)) bonus's a plenty, no room for mistakes and a good challenge.

Get into it peoples :) At least its a platform game for all that were hanging for one:p

is there a quota on how many games people can nominate? if not maybe introduce it to avoid circus charlie incidence in the future?

cant wait for t10 im itching for it and its not the herpes.

I'm thinking for the next MGL, only people who played the previous can nominate games for the next MGL and limit it to say 5 games:unsure

Other MGL'er thoughts ?

wingtipvortex
15th September 2009, 10:40 AM
I think Dk introduced me to this some time ago, i was happy to see it come up and gave it a good few hours last night. Your right.....NO ROOM FOR ERROR!

Brad
15th September 2009, 10:50 AM
I played this at a corner shop as a kid. Quickly became a favourite.

Brad

Jed
15th September 2009, 03:47 PM
I really must tip my hat to you guys in reverence. I'm clearly nowhere near as hardcore a retro gamer, that I would welcome the prospect of playing Circus Charlie for a whole week :laugh:

All in good fun. 200k high score ? Good Lord :blink:

fringert
15th September 2009, 11:55 PM
Not a bad game! Learning more every game;)

Jed
16th September 2009, 02:56 PM
For some reason (my alzheimers/oldtimers) I thought this was that jump on the seesaw and pop the balloons game, the one you always used to find in at sideshow alleys - along with that draw-the-gun-and-shoot-the-hologram-cowboy-game :)

Happy to find it's actually completely different and quite enjoyable :redface

Almost through it after a couple hours of practice and if it starts again only slightly harder next time through, then I reckon ballpark high score is doable ?

Quite addictive!

EDIT: I spent hours and hours on this addictive game today! It's of the kinder games in MGL9 so far I think but man does it suck you in. (except for the swings, hate hate hate) Found it hard to stop playing, the advantages of working from home :D Getting 10k time bonuses on the early levels help a lot. Wanna give that high score a nudge by next Monday!

wingtipvortex
16th September 2009, 03:43 PM
Had a few more games today, a few little secrets in there.

DKong
16th September 2009, 08:11 PM
My best score ever, must be the new Sanwa's over the 20 year old MCA's :p.
Damn trapeze, must be one of the hardest levels for swinging :lol never was one for heights :lol, master this last level and I get to do all again;)
One game I have never completed, but hopefully will by Monday.

Must be a circus in town lets shut the shit down :laugh:

For some reason (my alzheimers/oldtimers) I thought this was that jump on the seesaw and pop the balloons game, the one you always used to find in at sideshow alleys - along with that draw-the-gun-and-shoot-the-hologram-cowboy-game :)

Happy to find it's actually completely different and quite enjoyable :redface

Almost through it after a couple hours of practice and if it starts again only slightly harder next time through, then I reckon ballpark high score is doable ?

Quite addictive!

It is an addictive game, and quick too ( money puller in its day I bet ;) ), damn was hoping for midwek points this week now I will have to play some more.

The trapeze spins me out :lol

It is one of the best Golden Era Arcade games ever :)

kane
16th September 2009, 09:22 PM
Best Riding-A-Lion-Through-Flaming-Hoops game ever!

That Lion just cracks me up, I like reversing and making him do the Lion moonwalk. :lol

EDIT: Finally cracked 300K, got the hang of the trapeze in this game and finished it four times!

DKong
16th September 2009, 09:29 PM
Best Riding-A-Lion-Through-Flaming-Hoops game ever!

That Lion just cracks me up, I like reversing and making him do the Lion moonwalk. :lol

I went through a burning ring of fire, I went down down down :p but flames went higher, haha
some good scores coming out, time to go jump some monkeys again :)

Jed
16th September 2009, 11:13 PM
My best score ever, must be the new Sanwa's over the 20 year old MCA's :p.
Damn trapeze, must be one of the hardest levels for swinging

Those damn swings, you sure can't play it like jungle king :laugh:

Sanwas are just too good, just got my first pair a couple months back - ball top 4/8 way, the switchable thing is a must - especially for game like this one ;)

DKong
16th September 2009, 11:28 PM
Those damn swings, you sure can't play it like jungle king :laugh:

Sanwas are just too good, just got my first pair a couple months back - ball top 4/8 way, the switchable thing is a must - especially for game like this one ;)

YEaH X 2 on the trapeze, thats why I put one of these in on the CP

http://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php?t=22773&page=14

Now no excuses :laugh:
Only just realised this time around Circus Charlie is 2 - way

fringert
16th September 2009, 11:40 PM
Is everyone going through 1-6 then repeating? I've been repeating 5 times then moving on to the monkeys etc etc

Rev
16th September 2009, 11:43 PM
Never seen this game before, those purple Magilla Gorillas kinda get me jumping out of my seat getting past them

DKong
16th September 2009, 11:46 PM
Is everyone going through 1-6 then repeating? I've been repeating 5 times then moving on to the monkeys etc etc

No! still stuck on the first levels here, damn you :lol. looks like I will have to play sober, nice score mate ;) BTW we are using the the no level select as in the first page of this thread ;)

The trapeze , the trapeze , agghh , maybe a sober mind will help me swing :p

Jed
16th September 2009, 11:54 PM

hang on, you mean you are playing the level select version ? That's not the version we are playing I thought, we are playing the non level-select version ?

DKong
16th September 2009, 11:55 PM
And yeah Fringert you are playing level select and playing the first level five times ( ie PM).
I did state the rom and ( no level select) in the header of this game, so no excuses this time.
So no you can't play the same level over and over, thats why I put the no level select Circus Charlie Rom as the one:banned:

fringert
17th September 2009, 12:03 AM
And yeah Fringert you are playing level select and playing the first level five times ( ie PM).
I did state the rom and ( no level select) in the header of this game, so no excuses this time.
So no you can't play the same level over and over, thats why I put the no level select Circus Charlie Rom as the one:banned:

Apologies :redface I have the konami & centuri versions so I played the konami version & realised by accident that I could play the same level several times (the centuri version is the same) Where can I D/L the non select version? Again innocent mistake!

DKong
17th September 2009, 12:05 AM
Will have to say Fringert's midweek score is invalid, due to playing the wrong game;)

fringert
17th September 2009, 12:07 AM
Will have to say Fringert's midweek score is invalid, due to playing the wrong game;)

I have removed the score:redface

Jed
17th September 2009, 12:08 AM
will have to say fringert's midweek score is invalid, due to playing the wrong game;)

:)

DKong
17th September 2009, 12:16 AM
Okey Dokey Matey Blokey, we have some Midwek scores :p

Top score midweek Jamasized 192,580 ( Well done mate midweek points to you), you are the AA Clown now :p

2nd kane 108,260, great score as well, I'm sure we will see more from this man, just warming up ;)

3rd MamePatrol 87,960 coming from nowhere look out MGL'ers this guy can play ;)

I have removed the score:redface

Its all cool mate, I fixed your score when it was just on the dot, we are a family here, love and kisses :061:;)

fringert
17th September 2009, 01:08 AM
non select version
:D

I guess a bit of practice of the other levels (earlier last week )didn't hurt ;)

EMupp
17th September 2009, 01:16 AM
This game is incredibly frustrating.

DKong
17th September 2009, 03:27 AM
non select version
:D

Must say, good comeback :), considering , must of been all that practice on the wrong roim:p

BTW to all the MGL'ers I have cleared up the mud about Fringert's scores, and there is no animosity.
The man can play.

Just wanted to clear the air once and for all:) so it was clear to everyone reading this.:)

Jed
17th September 2009, 10:33 AM
Must say, good comeback :), considering , must of been all that practice on the wrong roim:p

That's not a bad idea actually for this game. Just for interest's sake I had a look at the level select version - can see practicing on the level select version definitely gives you a heads up on the differences in the individual level difficulty changes, without actually going through the game in a linear fashion/losing lives to find out. Hmmm, interesting.

It's usually the swings that bring me undone in an avalanche of lost lives... :realmad:

MamePatrol
17th September 2009, 11:10 AM
I just wanna finish that last stage and do them all again. I think thats the key to a really high score. I'm getting 70,000 - 87,000 just doing the first 5 then crashing out on the last........... :x

Jed
17th September 2009, 02:55 PM
I just wanna finish that last stage and do them all again. I think thats the key to a really high score. I'm getting 70,000 - 87,000 just doing the first 5 then crashing out on the last........... :x

You're dead right mamepatrol - as the levels really aren't that much harder second time through. The second set monkeys threw me at first, but then really it's only the horse and the dreaded swings to worry about - the fire rings, rolling balls, and drums are all not too bad at all, 2nd time through.

fringert
17th September 2009, 03:46 PM

Thats where most of mine went too, on that trapeze level! But the first 4 OK the horse level been applying the brakes to double up. Watch the attract mode before playing,it gave me a few tips on how to play the levels

MamePatrol
17th September 2009, 06:14 PM
Yesssssss........!!!!!!!

I just finished it. :cool:

But my score was shit :cry

No stopping me now.... mwaaaahahahahahahhah

Jed
18th September 2009, 03:38 PM
I'm out, going to be away for the rest of this comp and haven't managed to improve my 192k.

Nice score Fringert, new high too, must have been those days spent playing the same levels over and over :lol

All in good fun :laugh: Good luck all, may the biggest clown win!

Rat
18th September 2009, 03:53 PM
Ummmm, by finished it I assume you mean one time through? not completing the whole game to end?

This is one of my old fav's from the day, a good value game, not nearly as hard as it seems at first once you get in the swing, excuse the pun ;)

Being a clown myself I have always wanted to FINISH this game, have got about two screens away a few times. The last swings and trampoline screens are really hard. It was the trampolines and dolphins that bought me unstuck this time. I seem to remember invisible dolphins also?

First game in years, tired after night shift so reflexes a bit slow, but it's coming back. Need to re-learn the trampoline patterns then I might be in with a chance of finishing.

Got 358k so far, but I know I will beat that, should be able to get a good session in on Monday.

Just to confirm, the "no level select" circusc2 rom does let you select levels after the first time through the swings. That is the way mine plays anyway.

I can't believe that some of you people complained about Defender and now you complain about Circus Charlie also? Perhaps some of you need to re-evaluate your "retro gamer" status to "someone who used to play Galaga sometimes". :laugh:

Jed
18th September 2009, 06:45 PM
I can't believe that some of you people complained about Defender and now you complain about Circus Charlie also? Perhaps some of you need to re-evaluate your "retro gamer" status to "someone who used to play Galaga sometimes". :laugh:

Don't believe in labels or status myself :lol Live and let game.

kane
18th September 2009, 07:23 PM
It was the trampolines and dolphins that bought me unstuck this time. I seem to remember invisible dolphins also?

AH, I just got upto the Dolphins, killed me off pretty quick, they suck. Need a keen eye to see them coming...

Just to confirm, the "no level select" circusc2 rom does let you select levels after the first time through the swings. That is the way mine plays anyway.

I think you mean circusc3 rom, but yes, it does after the first time through, until you get the NO MORE messages.

Rat
18th September 2009, 07:56 PM
Ahhh thanks for the tip, I was using 2....just downloaded 3

SectionZ
19th September 2009, 08:06 PM
The trapeze is tricky, got through for the first time.

Had 1 more try, got to the dolphins.

Rat
19th September 2009, 08:31 PM
Just managed to find the time for another game before close.

This is almost my best, I leave the dolphins and the swings till last, then I die.

horseyboy69
20th September 2009, 08:23 AM
This is a classic favourite of mine from mid 80's. I even named my daughter Charli. :D Anyway the swings at the end can certainly do your head in. I got to them heaps of times without loosing a man and then disaster. I wish I had more time to put into this one. I will post this score and see if I have time to do another one. I am hoping for the wooden spoon this tourament. I think I will have to problems! :laugh:
Cheers,
Ian

Foot
21st September 2009, 06:51 PM
Score: 27960

Do I get participation points? :lol

sairuk
21st September 2009, 07:07 PM
Score: 27960

Do I get participation points? :lol

no they are reserved for me :lol

had a higher game but really wasnt worth the effort of taking another screen

SectionZ
21st September 2009, 08:21 PM
no they are reserved for me :lol

had a higher game but really wasnt worth the effort of taking another screen

Not like you put much effort in the screenshot you did submit :lol

sairuk
21st September 2009, 08:52 PM
Not like you put much effort in the screenshot you did submit :lol

now c'mon ... i got off the couch and walked the entire 3mtrs to the tv, that has to be worth something :lol

DKong
21st September 2009, 09:18 PM
MGL - T9
Game 8 Results

Game 8 is officially over

Thanks to those who participated and submitted scores

Results for Game 8: Circus Charlie

fringert now holds the highscore for this game 362,640

1. fringert 362,640
100 points

2. Rat 342,410
94 points

3. kane 333,900
92 points

4. SectionZ 212,350
59 points

5. Jammasized 192,580
63 points includes 10 pt midweek bonus

6. MamePatrol 136,140
37 points

7. horseboy 123,570
34 points

8. DKong 101,840
28 points

9. Wingtipvotex 37,740
10 points

10. Rev 35,000
9 points

11. Foot 27,960
8 points

12. sairuk 19,900
5 points

Leaderboard (http://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php?p=317848#post317848) as been updated.

Scoreboard (http://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php?t=13631) has been updated[/QUOTE]

henrybulldog
23rd September 2009, 07:11 PM
having mocked/bagged/ridiculed cc in prior posts it was only appropriate that it was the first game i played once my challenger pro became operational. one hour later and 52k is all i have to show for it. cc one. henrbulldog zero.