PDA

View Full Version : MGL - T9 Game 7: Defender

DKong
7th September 2009, 08:06 PM
Game 7: Defender
Rom: defender.zip

Randomly selected from the MGL 9 game list, game 25 on the list (http://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php?t=25399)

http://www.klov.com/images/11/118124210296.jpg

http://www.klov.com/images/11/1181242102101.png

Current HiScore held by no-one

Manufacturer: Williams
Year: 1980
Class: Wide Release
Genre: Shooter
Type: Videogame
Monitor:

Orientation: Horizontal
Type: Raster: Standard Resolution
CRT: Color
Conversion Class: Williams
Number of Simultaneous Players: 1
Maximum number of Players: 2
Gameplay: Alternating
Control Panel Layout: Single Player
Controls:
Joystick: 2-way (up, down)
Buttons: 5 [Fire|Thrust|Reverse|Hyperspace|Smart Bomb]
Sound: Amplified Mono (one channel)

Defender Description

Defend the human population from swarms of attacking aliens. Extremely popular even though it was deemed a flop at a 1981 Chicago arcade machine trade show because of its difficulty. The attract mode for the game was programmed in just five hours.

(http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?letter=D&game_id=7547)

Games are picked through a random generator from the list compiled in the MGL 9 thread. To have your games included in the pick you need to submit a score. You can add to this list at any time.
Remember to make your score valid you need to post your score in the subject line and don't forget your screen shot, any troubles let me know.
Mid week bonus of 10 MGL points are awarded to the highest submitted score as at Midnight Wednesday. The highest submitted score at the end of the MGL week will receive 100 MGL points.
Your scores need to be in by next Monday 14th of September BY 8PM (NSW daylight savings time).
DKong

Can someone advise which Rom label to use I have NFI:)

spacies
7th September 2009, 08:43 PM
Defender Red Label = defender.zip

Jed
7th September 2009, 08:48 PM
is there such thing as voting for a new game pick in the mgl :)

this is the same as last game, only horizontal...

DKong
7th September 2009, 09:14 PM
is there such thing as voting for a new game pick in the mgl :)

this is the same as last game, only horizontal...

When it came up I couldn't believe it, as I had said in the Juno first thread like a vertical Defender. Thought about selecting another game but that would sort of ruin the randomness.

Defender Red Label = defender.zip

Cheers mate, is this the best rom version to play of Defender :unsure

DKong
7th September 2009, 11:29 PM
This is a completely different game to Juno first :lol, have loved this game for eons, and how cool is it to watch someone who can play it well :o
Surprisingly the first time it has come up in the MGL, so scores will be interesting.
Really want to spend some time on it this week.
Anyone have a preference for button setup on there mame cabs when playing this game:unsure
I am using left/right for thrust and buttons for the rest:unsure
Well here is my first pissed effort :lol

Think my top is around 32,000 , time to get some game on guys ;)

MamePatrol
8th September 2009, 06:43 AM
These games are getting harsher...........:confused:

Jed
8th September 2009, 11:31 AM
These games are getting harsher...........:confused:

Amen to that, Defender is wayyyyyy harder than Juno First :o

Hopefully get some practice this evening. My best times for these league games are whenever 'So you think you can dance' or 'Australian Idol' comes on the telly. Then it's "I'm off to the Garage!" :D

MamePatrol
8th September 2009, 03:50 PM
Amen to that, Defender is wayyyyyy harder than Juno First :o

Hopefully get some practice this evening. My best times for these league games are whenever 'So you think you can dance' or 'Australian Idol' comes on the telly. Then it's "I'm off to the Garage!" :D

Man, anyone who likes this game is lame. Full Stop.

I mean, i wish we could play Juno First for another week.............

The only thing Defender has got going for it is the credit noise........Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr r r r r r r r

spacies
8th September 2009, 04:04 PM
LOL.

Defender and Pacman are the number 1 grossing video games of all time with estimated earnings of over $1 Billion usd. (that would have been declared earnings too!)
Its also voted one of the hardest video games ever!

Jed
8th September 2009, 04:22 PM
LOL.

Defender and Pacman are the number 1 grossing video games of all time with estimated earnings of over $1 Billion usd. (that would have been declared earnings too!) Its also voted one of the hardest video games ever!

#1 grossing that's kinda weird, seeing as it is so hard. Guess people just kept feeding coins cause you could be game over so quick ? I stayed away from it in it's arcade days, had better, more fun things to spend 2 bob on.. joker poker and 6 million dollar man pins, to name a couple... not forgetting space wars, oh my, space wars.

Williams had great sound effects in their games for the time. I'm playing a fair bit of Tutankham at the moment, same hardware, smart bomb, it's also DAMN hard. You gotta be Stern to play these games :rolleyes

kane
8th September 2009, 04:45 PM
I can see why it was so popular, I mean 5 buttons and a joystick in 1980, that would have seemed cool back then I bet.

WOKA
8th September 2009, 06:54 PM
Its a brilliant game, shame I can't play it though..! :cry

fringert
8th September 2009, 09:22 PM
I can see why it was so popular, I mean 5 buttons and a joystick in 1980, that would have seemed cool back then I bet.

Defender rocks! Like galaxians one of my favourite games to put on for the young ones who claim (Awwww those 80's game so easy, so boring!) $5 none of you get to the second screen. That same $5 note awaits on top of my cabinet unclaimed:lol A great game and a top looking cabinet!

Foot
8th September 2009, 09:42 PM
Its a brilliant game, shame I can't play it though..! :cry

We'll just add that to the list shall we? :p

wingtipvortex
8th September 2009, 10:20 PM
:o
YouTube - Williams Defender Arcade No death before 50k+ White Hard dp

MamePatrol
8th September 2009, 10:33 PM
LOL.

Defender and Pacman are the number 1 grossing video games of all time with estimated earnings of over $1 Billion usd. (that would have been declared earnings too!)
Its also voted one of the hardest video games ever!

It's all because of that coin noise..... take that away and no cash and el lamo lame lame.... :D

(The games sending me mad, see...!!!)

fringert
8th September 2009, 10:48 PM
Just warming up, I friggin love this game! It's :cool:

There's a hell of a lot more going on in this game, compared to juno!

Jed
9th September 2009, 11:33 AM
Glad at least one person is ecstatic to play Defender straight after Juno First :boring:

I take it back, I'd forgotten how much fun Defender can be, it's been so many years now.

Edit: score update, personal best :)

kane
9th September 2009, 09:01 PM
Getting there....

Rat
9th September 2009, 09:47 PM
Great game, I remember finding a cocktail cab of this at a local pizza parlour, dunno if it was set on easy dips, or if it was the close button layout but I could kick ass on that one.

Have not played enough this time to get in the zone, it's a real workout this one.
Hopefully will get to have another game on Monday, but probably won't beat this score. LOL got my extra at 40k and must have shot one more dude, or probably just crashed into one.

I remember watching a bloke clock this in an arcade in Melb in the day, reflexes :o

wingtipvortex
9th September 2009, 11:24 PM
Any tips on setting this up on a keyboard for normal play? Hard game, but an awsome game IMO.
Just need to get the right combination:cool:

henrybulldog
10th September 2009, 03:36 AM
i want in! when does T10 start? wizard of wor will have to make the list, right? what do folks think of playing for 5/10/20 bucks a week/season?

DKong
10th September 2009, 09:10 AM
i want in! when does T10 start? wizard of wor will have to make the list, right? what do folks think of playing for 5/10/20 bucks a week/season?

Not long after T9 :)

I am thinking on people who played at least 3 games in the previous MGL should be the only ones who nominate the games for the next. We seem to get a heap of nominations for games but only a few regular players:unsure

What isn't a trophy good enough :p, we have discussed money before and decided it wasn't the best idea. Always good to bring it up again, maybe this group would be keen :unsure
I am happy just with the trophy's .
Thanks for your input and Welcome to the MGL:)

Jed
10th September 2009, 10:20 AM

I think a trophy is good enough incentive, if you need one, for me I play for the fun of the comp and hanging out virtually with like-minded folk, and seeing some of the insane scores that eventuate is pretty cool.

A Game suggestion Dkong? Something me and a friend played the other day, what seemed at first like quite a naff platformer with a flying duck (maybe a chicken), turned out to be quite addictive: Flicky!

MamePatrol
10th September 2009, 12:30 PM
Damn stupid game..... :x blah,blah,blah.....

http://i759.photobucket.com/albums/xx238/mamepatrol/High%20Scores/0001-1.png

DKong
10th September 2009, 02:44 PM
Midweek points go to Rat, well done.
Hey Rat, come around Sat afternoon , Wingtipvortex should be up from Hobart, we can have a bit of a Defender/ Pinball / Beer session :)

henrybulldog
10th September 2009, 05:57 PM
thats all good re no cash, just putting it out there. now i dont know if this is a stupid question or not bt since im asking whether it is then it probably must be. since the cabinet i am getting is jamma does that make me ineligible for the mame league?

fringert
10th September 2009, 09:04 PM
I'm happy just to play for fun!:)

DKong
10th September 2009, 09:15 PM
thats all good re no cash, just putting it out there. now i dont know if this is a stupid question or not bt since im asking whether it is then it probably must be. since the cabinet i am getting is jamma does that make me ineligible for the mame league?

No mate, we accept original boards (and I for one encourage it, keeps the arcade scene alive), but as most of us don't have access to original boards for our cabs MAME is good enough.
Shame there is not more done like the 48-1's , old software on new hardware, seems popular enough, plus makes it easier for us guys that just want to play the games, how they were supposed to be played, through an arcade cabinet.
So many people download roms, if you you could buy a board with the games you want, plug it into the JAMMA, and your away, would stop so many hacked up cabs.
Just buy a Jamma cab and the board with games on, sounds simple enough to me, now just wish I could make these JAMMA all in one boards would be on a goldmine ;)

DKong
10th September 2009, 09:47 PM
Not my best ever score, but getting close.:lol (by 200 points)

Would love to play this on a dedicated setup, infact would love a dedicated Defender, just one of those games that keep you coming back for more for the sheer hardness.

I'm sure some of thoise Guitar hero types could rock this game :p

Jed
11th September 2009, 08:54 AM
I'm sure some of thoise Guitar hero types could rock this game :p

That's you, isn't it ? :laugh:

fringert
11th September 2009, 02:48 PM
For the dedicated players!:lol
http://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php?t=26666

SectionZ
11th September 2009, 04:05 PM
Hard game, that's my highest ever score.

spacies
11th September 2009, 04:56 PM
I'm not bad at this game. Might wire up a panel and have a crack.

DKong
11th September 2009, 08:58 PM
I'm not bad at this game. Might wire up a panel and have a crack.

Good stuff, you might be able to show us how to play :)

SectionZ
13th September 2009, 07:22 PM
50k + :) Got to wave 5 a couple of times.

After +25 yrs since my first defender game, I can now play it, kind of ;)

Rat
13th September 2009, 08:35 PM
Was away for the weekend so didn't see your invite till now DKong, thanks anyway.

Yeah I will have a look at the roster soon and run a few possible game night dates by you.

Can't believe that 40k was enough for midweek, I was expecting to see some big scores on this game.

Foot
14th September 2009, 12:28 PM
I got 2700 on the keyboard, only took me one go to get that, I'm on fire........

kane
14th September 2009, 06:22 PM
Why does the Donkey Kong music play when you get the No. 1 Highscore? Defender programmers like DK?

I'm using the keyboard too, for some reason this game never worked on my MAME cabinet setup, I think the joystick would be easier.

wingtipvortex
14th September 2009, 07:27 PM
Bleh.....way too much going on for me in this game, best i could manage today. Williams definatly have the sounds covered though:cool:

sairuk
14th September 2009, 07:32 PM
managed a couple (3?) of games tonight, nothing for the entire week. Great game though. Had a better game than this one but had to pause when one of my daughters started screaming the house down.

DKong
14th September 2009, 08:09 PM
MGL - T9
Game 7 Results

Game 7 is officially over

Thanks to those who participated and submitted scores

Results for Game 7: Defender

SectionZ now holds the Highscore for this game 52,525

1. SectionZ 52,525
100 points

2. fringert 45,300
86 points

3. Rat 40,150
86 points includes 10 point midweek bonus

4. Jammasized 32,500
62 points

5. DKong 32,275
61 points

6. Wingtipvortex 27,025
51 points

7. kane 23,275
44 points

8. MamePatrol 15,225
29 points

9. sairuk 5,825
11 points

Leaderboard (http://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php?p=317848#post317848) as been updated.

Scoreboard (http://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php?t=13631) has been updated[/QUOTE]

sairuk
14th September 2009, 09:10 PM
missed a few scores on the board there lad

DKong
14th September 2009, 10:40 PM
missed a few scores on the board there lad

Which scores :unsure

fringert
14th September 2009, 11:02 PM
I think he ( sairuk ) means wingtipvortex's & mame patrol

sairuk
15th September 2009, 12:30 PM

yeh, thats all. nothing critical to leaderboard or anything, I tend to like seeing that gaps between each score in the summary.

DKong
15th September 2009, 12:34 PM

yeh, thats all. nothing critical to leaderboard or anything, I tend to like seeing that gaps between each score in the summary.

Thanks guys fixed now, I thought you meant the leaderboard, all good :)