PDA

View Full Version : I gots a juke !!!!

Bendragon
23rd August 2009, 06:53 PM
Now to get it working :P

It's an Rowe AMI Disco 200 from the Freebies post - Insanely nice for someone to give away something like this !!! Big thanks for the gift, it will get a massive workout when I get her up and running.

Project for me over the summer, I'll take some photo's tonight and post them up after I give her a clean.

B

Homepin
23rd August 2009, 07:04 PM
Well done - great score!

Mr Pubstuff
23rd August 2009, 07:15 PM
very envious it was so far away, so great score!

Davefjedi
23rd August 2009, 07:25 PM
Great score there pics asap now to go garage saleing to get the lp`s to fill her up

jyebow
23rd August 2009, 07:45 PM
Congrats, nice score.

Bendragon
23rd August 2009, 07:47 PM
Pix will be up...I've drilled the lock, expecting it to be a simple job, I was wrong - looks like there are several latches keeping her locked up and solid.

Brute force is always an option....right ?

Bendragon
23rd August 2009, 08:34 PM
Alright...this is driving me nuts !!! I'm about to move to Brute force mode and hope to pop it open.

any idea how to open this beast with the lock gone ?

arcadus
23rd August 2009, 08:57 PM
Do you know what model or year it is? There are more than one disco 200.

Bendragon
23rd August 2009, 09:20 PM
Some pics....the bit with the model and info has been ripped off...joy joy

http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/1845/img6591a.jpg

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/137/img6595g.jpg

Still needs a clean, but I really want to get inside, get the previous owners records out and hand them back....then get my hands dirty and get it pumping again.

@lien_Zed
23rd August 2009, 09:29 PM
i remember those units.... aint seen them for ages. they were quite popular at hamburger joints/cafe's once up on a time

arcadus
23rd August 2009, 09:49 PM
http://www.pinballrebel.com/archive/ami/r83/r83.htm
Looks like this one.
You can see the tabs. It probably uses a sliding bar arrangement. You'll have to twist the lock somehow to retract the bars.

Bendragon
23rd August 2009, 09:58 PM
I've drilled it out, and there looks to be a channel top and bottom - might have to use a bit more force on it in order to turn it.

It's sturdy as hell !

I'll see how it goes

**** Update - Lock bit with channels now just spins in place with no unlocking Grrrrr

arcadus
23rd August 2009, 10:04 PM
Get someone to push down on the front at the same time :unsure

Bendragon
23rd August 2009, 11:04 PM
And with the gentleness of a baby and a mashed fist, he's cracked her open !!!
Popped the locking tabs and I have seen the pearl...

Now that it's open, I can get the records back to the previous owner (cos I'm a tops bloke like that haha)

Looks like the locking device works fine, but may have popped off the lock at the back at some time, so I'm ff to bunnings tomorrow for a barrel lock to get that back into order (device seems to be smooth when I work it by hand.

Trouble shoot tomorrow - but lights work, search works, cancel works, buttons appear to work, however, the carousel simply spins on power up, and although cancel works, it goes right back to spinning.

Side note, Model number is R-83-B - so look out google, I'm searching.

Stoked Ben, signing off haha

daics3522
23rd August 2009, 11:07 PM
And with the gentleness of a baby and a mashed fist, he's cracked her open !!!
Popped the locking tabs and I have seen the pearl...

Now that it's open, I can get the records back to the previous owner (cos I'm a tops bloke like that haha)

Looks like the locking device works fine, but may have popped off the lock at the back at some time, so I'm ff to bunnings tomorrow for a barrel lock to get that back into order (device seems to be smooth when I work it by hand.

Trouble shoot tomorrow - but lights work, search works, cancel works, buttons appear to work, however, the carousel simply spins on power up, and although cancel works, it goes right back to spinning.

Side note, Model number is R-83-B - so look out google, I'm searching.

Stoked Ben, signing off haha

Pics ??????? :unsure:unsure:unsure

Bendragon
23rd August 2009, 11:14 PM
Stoopid battery...

Charging now

Bendragon
23rd August 2009, 11:47 PM
http://i733.photobucket.com/albums/ww331/Bendragon/Inside2.jpg

http://i733.photobucket.com/albums/ww331/Bendragon/Inside.jpg

Do these things have opto switches ? that might be why the carousel keeps spinning

arcadus
24th August 2009, 07:12 AM
Micro switches. I'm not familiar with this jukebox but there should be a switch somewhere for the operator to spin the carousel for changing records. Make sure that's in the right position first.

DKong
24th August 2009, 12:00 PM
Would love one of those, nice pickup, looks tidy enough inside :)

stuba
24th August 2009, 01:13 PM
hey ben,
thats identical setup to my AMI Rowe CD100's (except uses records of course). but same magazine and selector mech. the boards will be very similar.
its worth some serious dollars (estimate $1500 - $2500) in working clean condition. There is a company in Sydney that can do the board repairs and stuff - I used them to put new lasers in mine. they are not cheap but givcen what you paid then it won't matter! - having said that i'm willing to bet it won't take much to get it going. start with power supply and teste voltages and work your way along - does it have manuals?

Bendragon
24th August 2009, 09:36 PM
Nah, no manual - so I'm on the lookout for a copy :P people are trying to charge like 30pounds for a copy of one...

I'll check all the micros and I HOPE that it's just a switch issue, or a home finding one.

Stuba, look forward to some PM's in the near future haha

B

Bendragon
24th August 2009, 10:22 PM
Update number....whatever...

The good
Power - Check
Motor - Check
Keypad - Check
Display - Check
Lighting - Kinda check need replacing

The bad
I can get it to work...why is this a bad you ask...I can only get it to work if I manually turn the cam slightly, this contacts the micros and engages the motor, stops the carousel, selects the record, plays it....PLAYS IT !!!!!!! then at the end, replaces it back into the slot

Once it's finished, it goes back into it's place, and the carousel goes on it's merry way again.

From this, I've deduced that there may be an issue with one of the boards, either in getting the keypad info and sending it to the motor, or the motor understanding what to do with the signals.

Everything appears to be working, just not together.
Manual....is on the shopping list !
Anyone know what's going down, or are there any AMI/Rowe techs floating around :)

I'M STOKED !!! IT PLAYS !!!!

Bendragon
24th August 2009, 10:52 PM
http://img190.imageshack.us/i/moviecgv.mp4/

It's ALIIIIIIIVE

David_AVD
25th August 2009, 07:24 AM
I'd not noticed before that the tone arm is backwards compared to a regular turntable.

stuba
25th August 2009, 07:58 AM
http://img190.imageshack.us/i/moviecgv.mp4/

It's ALIIIIIIIVE

so cool. the next step is the manual. don't be a tight wad and buy one, remember the cost of the juke!! nada

my guess is the selector board - it should have LED diagnostic codes flashing on powerup?

you can send the board away for testing and repair (sydney firm) but it will cost $100 just to look at it. you'd want to make sure there was something wrong with it first..

Fish Tales
25th August 2009, 08:22 AM
We also have a member here in Newcastle who repairs Jukes. PM me if you want his details.

Fish Tales
25th August 2009, 11:32 AM
Rob has a spare manual that he will sell, here it is:

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e260/Gwind/manu.jpg

PM me if interested ;)

spacies
25th August 2009, 11:38 AM
I would take all that old junk out and put in a 32" plasma, a PC and some sound system with PMPO of 10 gigawatts.

dmworking247
25th August 2009, 11:44 AM
I would take all that old junk out and put in a 32" plasma, a PC and some sound system with PMPO of 10 gigawatts.

A car audio system right Spacies?

stuba
25th August 2009, 11:50 AM

thats all fine but you'll need a flux capacitor and they aint cheap. ;)

Bendragon
25th August 2009, 06:29 PM
I'll check the freebie section for a Flux Capacitor then I guess :P

PEEEEMMMMMM sent - I want that man...ual (went a bit Debby Harry for a bit then...must be the 80's music coming out in me)

Bendragon
26th August 2009, 07:27 PM
So now I've checked some connections and I have solved the "spinning on powerup issue"
Keypad does works and shows on screen, but I can't seem to get it to play an album that I select.

If I move the switch to Continuous, it will spin for a bit, get a random record (or where one should be, play it and work fine, kind of like a shuffle ipod, just MASSIVE)

Getting closer, manual will be here in a few days (THANKS EXTRA BALL !!!!) so I can trouble shoot a bit more.

B

4_ur_amusement
26th August 2009, 11:37 PM

NiNJA
27th August 2009, 09:07 PM
put me down for a flux capacitor too .... need to go back in time and buy up arcade machines and pins before Gibo and Etch started their collections :lol

Actually .... could be quite expensive as I'll need a DeLorean as well :D

Fish Tales
27th August 2009, 09:38 PM
Actually .... could be quite expensive as I'll need a DeLorean as well :D

does anyone remember the Back to the Future competition to win a Delorean? Think it was a pepsi one. Anyway guess I was about 15 at the time, and I literally filled-out hundreds of competition forms. I can honestly say I cried when I didnt win it. :lol

Bendragon
28th August 2009, 06:42 PM
Well, after ONE night of it WORKING PERFECTLY !!!! I turn it on last night...and it's back to it's old tricks again.

I got a Manual in the post (thanks EB and Robert !!!), and decided to take a look INSIDE the memory unit...Ewwww

http://img188.imageshack.us/img188/6603/pic002h.jpg

Toast, or fixable ? I got one night out of it, so I think I might try to clean it before I send it overseas and get a new one.

It obviously still passes a current (17V light gets power), the cancel button works, the switch (continuous option one) works. The back of it looks SHOT.

I've cleaned it up as best I can, put it back in and still nothing other than - carousel spinning, when put on continuous, it will randomly play songs like a big dumb ipod...

Overseas, here I come.

B

arcadus
28th August 2009, 07:02 PM
Fixable, depending on tracks other side- it was working :)

stuba
28th August 2009, 07:03 PM
try a 50/50 water vinegar mix with a paintbrush and give it a good 24 hours to dry off. get rid off all of that corrosion. then you need to test each component with a meter. the corrosion localised to the centre top of the board. the only component i would be worried about is that z702 IC - see if you can find out what it is in the manual. if its a common IC then that board should go again without too many probs when you replace if its not working/intermittent. I'd recap the electrolytics. whats the trace side like?

I have a couple of speakers with an ipod docking station you can borrow meanwhile ;) just sit them inside and close the lid..

Bendragon
28th August 2009, 08:17 PM
Will try the water vinegar thing tonight.

Another question - Can it run without the batteries that plug into it (I'm picking that they simply keep a memory of tracks when the power is off, which I have no interest in)

Also, do I put the 50/50 mix on sparingly - or do I really give it a bunch ?

B

arcadus
29th August 2009, 09:18 AM
Give it a good scrub especially around IC legs, if paintbrush doesn't do it use an old toothbrush. Must rinse off and dry thoroughly.
Same guess as yours with the batteries, should work with out them.

stuba
29th August 2009, 05:27 PM
yep what he said.

unfortunately you will need the batteries, it's more than a record of tracks played, its the pricing settings (free play), memory of what slot has a record in it and which doesn't etc etc.

furballx
13th September 2009, 10:54 PM
Hey Ben, PM me your postal address. I finally got around to packaging up 6 or 8 Angels 45s for you. Will get 'em out as soon as I hear from you.
Dave.

Bendragon
28th February 2010, 12:13 PM
Well this has been sitting around locked up, as my lock busted off again locking the cab closed... combine that with a wife that wants things done and fixed and it kinda was put on the back back back back burner...

however, I have located a guy in England that tests, repairs and replaces these...so the boards are coming out tonight/tomorrow to be sent to the land of the warm beer...
here's a pic of the state that she was in
http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/7404/23906597.jpg

Only iPhone pics, but you get the idea

Furbs hooked me up with some tops 45's but I'm yet to give them a spin.
More to come, I may replace all the wiring looms just incase - that will be a fun bunch of hours over the soldering iron...

Bendragon
7th March 2010, 06:43 PM
Jsut cleaning up at the moment, removed the front lower door and pulled that apart, took the glass and insert out and gave them all a clean.

It's basically a waiting and cleaning game until I send the boards off and get them looked at (this week for sure :))

My wife wants to know how to get rid of the "old person smell" I actually don't mind it, it gives the room a little more "character" haha