PDA

View Full Version : Experiences with generic parts from Arcade Gaming Australia

TheYellowDart
12th September 2006, 11:32 PM
I'm interested in peoples experiences with the generic "retro style" joysticks and buttons which Arcade Gaming Australia stock. I emailed them asking which brand and model these parts are and got the following response:

They are generic branded products that are very high quality, the buttons
are made to Happ specifications and the joysticks are excellent value for
money.

This doesn't really give me very much information so I'm interested in anybody elses experiences with these products. I'm probably just going to end up purchasing the buttons and Sanwa stick from OzStick anyways for peace of mind as there's only about $7 difference but even if I don't end up using this information hopefully somebody else will.

These are the products in question:

Retro Style Joystick (https://www.arcadegamingaustralia.com.au/cms/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=57&category_id=1&option=com_phpshop&Itemid=5)
Arcade Button (https://www.arcadegamingaustralia.com.au/cms/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=39&category_id=1&option=com_phpshop&Itemid=5)

Thanks,

Dart

@lien_Zed
13th September 2006, 06:57 AM
Dart,
I have bought these joysticks from Joe at Arcade Gaming Australia and they are bloody great for the price.I will get some photos of it if you wish

Dont forget when comparing prices with Ozstick that you have to pay extra for postage.
With Arcade Gaming Australia, postage is free (Australia only)

elvis
13th September 2006, 07:28 AM
I would be seriously concerned about any retailer that can't be upfront and honest with you when you ask for a brand-name.

These generic parts ARE NOT made to Happ standards. And they certainly ARE NOT Happ. That is borderline false advertising.

[edit] Had a looksee...

That joystick you link to is a "Zippy" brand joystick. The same GameDude sells for $14.

The button is the generic Happ knockoff. I don't know the exact name of the company/factory that make them, but they are the same buttons used by the X-Arcade manufacturers, and they suck. China/Shenzen made, and cheap as buggery. Notice the microswitches are not Cherry branded, which is an immediate giveaway.

I'd personally spend the extra few cents on a Happ and save the hand-raping. If you play arcades once a month, you won't care. If you play them every day, you'll notice the difference in a big way. Especially after a few months of play, the cheaper buttons get sticky and unresponsive. Happ buttons (like all buttons) will lose their spring over time, but they'll still be responsive and won't stick.

TheYellowDart
13th September 2006, 09:10 AM
Thanks for the responses. I was quite wary of Joe not wanting to tell me the manufacturer as well.

I'm glad to hear that you're enjoying these sticks dezrae. I'm willing to fork out the extra cash for my project though as I'd hate to finish it and find I wasn't satisfied with the joystick or buttons.

Going a little off-topic here but may as well use the same thread. Does anybody know the manufacturer of OzStick's premium buttons? Also interested to know the differences between the standard Sanwa JLF sticks and the ones OzStick stock. From what I can tell they're just wired differently, but perhaps there's something I'm missing?

Dart

Davefjedi
13th September 2006, 09:16 AM
I have brought 6 of these and I cant complain about them for the price. The only thing I would be concerned about is the microswitches i had a couple of bad ones on 1 stick but I just replaced them with a couple of old ones.
HMmm Gdude selles them for 14 bucks hey intresting Im just about to do up 3 coctails:cool:

elvis
13th September 2006, 09:49 AM
HMmm Gdude selles them for 14 bucks hey intresting Im just about to do up 3 coctails:cool:
Arcade King has just bought 2 of them for a Hankin restore, and I'll be freighting them his way shortly. Look out for his upcoming post and thoughts on them if you want an unbiased opinion (ie: an opinion from someone who doesn't sell them, which is always a good thing to consider).

I brought along one to the Brisbane meet last weekend, and most folks there didn't mind them. I personally love my Sanwa, but some people can't justify the extra $40 per stick when they just want a cheapy stick that performs well enough for casual gaming.

Berty
13th September 2006, 09:59 AM
For the record, I saw this stick when elvis brought it on Saturday. It is a knock-off of the Seimitsu LS-32; my favorite joystick. Although i didnt have a real LS-32 there to compare with, it does look really really similar in design.

elvis
13th September 2006, 11:00 AM
Hey Berty, does the LS-32 use direct-on-microswitch, or does it have the metal arms that actuate the switch?

These Zippy sticks have the metal arms like the Sanwa JLWs that OzStick sells (ie: Ultimarc J-Stick). It makes the throw ever so slightly longer than a Sanwa, but I've found it makes them last a little longer as the microswitches aren't getting smashed about all day long.

Davefjedi
13th September 2006, 11:11 AM
Hi Elvis I was speaking to Trav about the stick you had (the green balltop) is that a zippy stick? it looked a bit shorter then the ones from Joe. I was going to turn the sticks i got down on a lathe. I find them a bit to long for the Hankins
what is the height from the cp to the top of the ball. I am intrested in these if they are shorter then the others from Joe

elvis
13th September 2006, 11:32 AM
what is the height from the cp to the top of the ball.

From mounting plate to bottom of ball: 27mm

From mounting plate to top of ball: 60mm

The mounting plate itself is 1.5mm steel. You would normall remove it if you were mounting it into a candy cab that had it's own mount system. It's only added if you need to bolt/screw it into your own plain panel (which you would on a generic cocktail).

Depending where you buy the Zippy's from, you can get different length shafts. We have zippies on our LS-Sound 29 cabs and they have a slightly longer shaft but slightly smaller balltop. The actual base is identical.

Berty
13th September 2006, 12:01 PM
Hey Berty, does the LS-32 use direct-on-microswitch, or does it have the metal arms that actuate the switch?

These Zippy sticks have the metal arms like the Sanwa JLWs that OzStick sells (ie: Ultimarc J-Stick). It makes the throw ever so slightly longer than a Sanwa, but I've found it makes them last a little longer as the microswitches aren't getting smashed about all day long.

Yeah, LS-32's have got bladded micro switches.

elvis
13th September 2006, 02:53 PM
Yeah, LS-32's have got bladded micro switches.
Well then, that makes these almost direct bloody knock-offs! :)

Hooray for China!

intrasonic
15th September 2006, 10:53 AM
Ah yes, the zippy sticks from ArcadeGamingAustralia.

I actually bought both a zippy and a real seimitsu LS-32. As mentioned before, the zippy sticks are a a pretty cheap alternative, but thats not to say that they are bad copies. The one i got from arcadegamingaustralia has a longer shaft than the LS-32, though.

Both sticks use bladed microswitches (unlike the sanwa JLF sticks), however the zippy one is slightly harder sprung than the LS-32. The dust cover of the zippy isn't quite as well fitted as the LS-32s either.

Ball tops are perfectly interchangable as are the restrictor plates (if i remember correctly). In fact, the 2/4/8 way restrictor plates are ALMOST exactly the same. I remember playing around with the zippy and managed to remove not only the restrictor plate, but also the rounded-squarish plastic guide underneath it. Beneath that is a bare circular metal hole (which might not be so nice to the shaft, as opposed to the plastic square thing), so if you've got a fetish for circular restrictors, you'll be set.

I ended up making a weird hybrid stick, using the microswitches and balltop from the LS-32 on the zippy shaft/body. I'd prefer the softer spring of the LS-32, but in my (WIP) project, the longer shaft length was needed.

Going a little off-topic here but may as well use the same thread. Does anybody know the manufacturer of OzStick's premium buttons? Also interested to know the differences between the standard Sanwa JLF sticks and the ones OzStick stock. From what I can tell they're just wired differently, but perhaps there's something I'm missing?

Dart

I think you need elvis to confirm this, but to my knowledge the ozstick sanwas are the JLW sticks and use bladed microswitches like the LS-32 sticks, and come with a square restrictor. JLF sticks don't have bladed microswitches (ie shaft hits the little button on the microswitch directly), also come with a square but are softer sprung. Also, they come with the microswitches soldered to a pcb with a 5pin for connection to stuff.

elvis
15th September 2006, 12:42 PM
The best person to ask about OzStick stuff is OzStick. :) Seriously, send the guy a PM. :)

OzStick joysticks are the Sanwa JLW units. They differ to the JLFs in that they have a slightly bigger balltop and use bladed microswitches that are direct-connect. The JLFs alternatively have direct connect microswitches and use a custom connector (that you can solder to easily if you don't want to pay Sanwa's ludicrous price for their connection cable). JLWs also have a slightly longer throw. I can't offer any more factual information that isn't personal opinion based on "feel" and other such subjective terms.

Quality wise however, anything Sanwa is worth your cash. This is some high-quality stuff.

Last time I bought the "premium" buttons from OzStick, they were genuine Happ buttons with concave heads. From memory these used to be called "Happ Competition" buttons, until they added the convex heads to that model and called the concave models "Happ Horizontal buttons". Confused? Well I don't blame you. Happ are a bit silly like that. :)

Reguardless, Happ buttons are some of the best in the world for reliability no matter what head they shove on them. They use Cherry brand microswitches which are damn near bulletproof.

It's probably worth your time reading the "Arcade Input Hardware Documentation Project" I started. It covers a lot of these parts in more detail than this thread:
http://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php?t=890