MrMaloo
21st August 2009, 03:33 PM
Title: Judge Dredd
Manufacturer : Bally
Year : 1993

furballx
21st August 2009, 10:33 PM
Common problems with Judge Dredd.
1) Topper is often missing or broken. As at mid 2009 repros were available for $175US (approx) not including the mounting bracket.
2) There is often slack in the motor for the deadworld due to wear. Replacements are hard to find if it is not working at all.
3) Crane is often damaged as a result of playfield being lowered with it in the out position. This can range from damaged plastic to a bent arm assembly
4) There is a popular mod for the Deadworld which makes it function as it was originally intended in trial versions of the game. Most players agree that this is a positive feature in a machine. Deadworld mod cost is around $150US and is a bonus if already installed.
5) Dredd suffers from a fault where extra lights will go on for no apparent reason. If you check the switch matrix the bottom light in a row will be on when ANY other light in the row is on. Same for ALL rows in the matrix. Look in the backbox in the driver board for J136. If there is a two prong plug attached at this pin pull it out. The plug is used in the backbox as a jumper, but is often plugged in because it looks like it goes there. Leave it in the BB unplugged.
Dave

GIBO
21st August 2009, 10:59 PM
4) There is a popular mod for the Deadworld which makes it function as it was originally intended in trial versions of the game. Most players agree that this is a positive feature in a machine. Deadworld mod cost is around $150US and is a bonus if already installed.

Hey mate Deadworld mod can be bought a lot cheaper than that from Pinbits
http://www.pinbits.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=13_8&products_id=249

furballx
26th August 2009, 08:13 AM
Thanks Gibo.

Cut and slightly edited from Askjacob's thread in Indiana Jones, the following applies to Judge Dredd as well..

"opto trough problems - this early revision of the opto PCB set was prone to vibration damage from the ball popping mechanism. A revised board set has rubber grommets to help minimise vibration damage. Another common issue is the IR LEDs failing - they are run hard in the trough, and quite often die - this causes the odd behaviour such as launching 2 balls in play when not in multiball."

This also casuse so wierd broblems if playing a super game in Judge Dredd. Well worth replacing if problems arise.
Dave

spaceballs
26th August 2009, 09:02 AM
This is great, thanx guys for putting in your tips. Furballx, are ALL these playfields diamond coated, or is there something to look out for like the Getway HSII that you posted?

furballx
26th August 2009, 05:26 PM
This is great, thanx guys for putting in your tips. Furballx, are ALL these playfields diamond coated, or is there something to look out for like the Getway HSII that you posted?

To my knowledge, with the possible exception of trial games (prototypes put on site to see how the game was recieved by players and how well it held up to play) all JD's are Diamond Plate finished. Getaway was just being produced as DP became the norm, hence the two types of PF's
Dave

furballx
13th February 2011, 07:16 PM
Judge Dredd update. I finally got around to fitting the Dead World mod to my JD to bring it back to the original design. This mod replaces the virtual lock ("locked" ball returns to playfield) with an actual lock of the balls in a custom Deadworld ring. The replacement ring you fit for this mod has holes in it that cradle the 3 locked balls as they rotate around the planet. They are then released at the start of multiball one at a time by the crane, and a fourth ball is launched from the shooter lane. A custom eprom is needed to run the game in this mode.

All of this is well and good, but there are a few things you need to look at before fitting this mod.
1) you May need to bend the wireform that directs the ball into the modified ring a little bit. Mine let the ball slip out the side onto the playfield, but a little adjustment directed the ball into the locking ring flawlessly every time.
2) The Deadworld mod relies VERY HEAVILY on the ball trough optos (and a number or other optos) to keep track of where balls are located within the game. This is especially true if a ball is left locked in the Deadworld ring at the end of a game. Triple check that all optos are reporting correctly before installing the mod.

The Dead world mod was a bit of a pain to install for me, but it is pretty cool, and well worth the effort.
Dave

narf_
13th February 2011, 07:20 PM
played one last night at gibos for the first time

his has the mod and i did incur once it started having the opto trough issue with the balls in lock

besides a few niggles was a nice game to play

furballx
13th February 2011, 09:21 PM
Now that you have jogged my mamory Narf, there is another common problem with JD, but it is not related to the Deadworld mod. Even though the trough sensors may be working perfectly well, it will often give an error on 2 ball trough sensors. If the trough is not emptied of all 6 balls every now and again (as it is in the 6 ball multiball in Supergame), it will report a switch error for the last 2 ball trough sensors. This is easily fixed by activating the sensors in test mode, or playing supergame every now and again and getting multiball.
Dave

GORGAR 1
14th February 2011, 10:22 AM
Well done Dave playing Blairs game with the mod is so much better-a mate and I bought a JD about 10-12 years ago when there wasn't much love for the game and they where cheap so its nice to see Judge Dredd getting much deserved love as it is good fun game to play.

Peter