PDA

View Full Version : Tools & Supplies (Hardware)

@lien_Zed
12th September 2006, 04:45 PM
This afternoon i had some spare time and i checked out prices on wood at Bunnings in Townsville and went to the Mitre 10 at Willows Townsville as well.

The sheets of wood be it MDF, particle board, ply wood are half the price of bunngings at Mitre 10!

I kid you not.
one example 18mm ply wood 1200x600x18mm bunnings 32.95, mitre 10 - $14.95

Also, if you are like me and have a shed full of gmc tools, at Mitre 10 they sell ICON tools. ICON tools are GMC tools, just in a white/maroon trim rather then blue like gmc.and still have 2 year warranty and around the same price as well.

Hope somebody benefits from this.

From now on, i buy all my woods from Mitre-10!:D

elvis
12th September 2006, 05:00 PM
The sheets of wood be it MDF, particle board, ply wood are half the price of bunngings at Mitre 10!

There's a very simple reason for that:

For a long time Mitre-10 had exhorbitant pricing on everything. Bunnings was nothing but a little 5-store timber supplier back then.

The folks who ran bunnings decided to take Mitre-10 on at their own game. They expanded quickly and pulled the rug out from under Mitre-10 for some time, making sure they stocked more and had it for cheaper. Mitre-10 actually came pretty damned close to going bust. I would regulary drive past my local Mitre-10 and see the place dead empty while Bunnings was packed.

Mitre-10 have had no choice but to compete hard. Just like computer stores and pizza shops, price slashing was the only way to get customers back.

Long story short: competition is always good. The consumer wins when everyone fights for their business.

feeras
12th September 2006, 05:41 PM
Bunnings inundate you with ads that suggests they are the cheapest but they are not. Guess it could be worst, they could be like a Harvey Norman...

Viper
12th September 2006, 05:42 PM
I'd never even heard of Bunning till our local BBC Harwarehouse became one a few years back. Apparently the company that bought Bunnings in 1994 bought the company that owned BBC in 2001.

elvis
12th September 2006, 05:50 PM
Bunnings inundate you with ads that suggests they are the cheapest but they are not. Guess it could be worst, they could be like a Harvey Norman...

Ironically they used to be the cheapest. Until they won the customer trust, and then decided to rip them off.

Every company goes through the same motions no matter who they are. From single stores to multinational conglomerates. When they need the customers, the prices are low. When the customers need them, the prices are high.

There's no such thing as morals nor ethics any more. Sad but true.

Viper
12th September 2006, 06:33 PM
Yeah, it's all about profit but what do ya do. I go to Bunnings because the majority of prices are reasonable and I can be relatively confident of getting everything I need there. I have other stores around and still frequent them but Bunnings is always my first port of call and usually only port of call. They will still match any quoted price from another retailer on the same item. Problem is most of the cheaper stuff is only sold by that retailer beit Bunnigs or other (it's cheap because they get it in bulk).

Yes, I love my Bunnings!

Ric
12th September 2006, 06:47 PM
i have to say i do like Bunnings- except that they don't cut wood to size (GRRR)

they are not the cheapest around perhaps but that is the price of convenience - they really do have almost everything you need hardware wise and you can always find something you probabyl don't need and will buy it in anycase

Ric

Viper
12th September 2006, 07:16 PM
i have to say i do like Bunnings- except that they don't cut wood to size (GRRR)

Mine does (or did last time I asked). The saw is still there but I haven't had the need in a while.

Foot
12th September 2006, 08:41 PM
I'm pretty sure the Brisbane Cannonhill Bunnings cuts to size, might not be free if you want them to do too many cuts though. Best of getting in there when it's quieter, they'll do more for you.

Foot

@lien_Zed
12th September 2006, 09:25 PM

Ric

Ric,
The Bunnings in townsville does and at no extra cost.They can not do it at the moment as their saw is broken, but you can buy a $50 GMC Circular saw like i did with 2 year warranty and you can use it when ever you like!:D

Ric
12th September 2006, 09:34 PM
i went to the one at mascot - lateral cuts only

miikeboyle
12th September 2006, 10:16 PM
i use to work at bunnings and they are the cheapest, as if you find the price lower somewhere else on a stocked item, then they will beat it by 10%

With the plywood, theres 1000s of different plywood types out there and it would have to be a different type. for that kind of difference.

Bunnings have staff thats sole purpose is to check prices against the competition and make sure bunnings is lower

Mike

elvis
13th September 2006, 07:35 AM
You're allowed 1 cut per sheet. I bought some 1200x2400 MDF sheets a few years back, and got them all cut in half so they'd fit in the back of my crappy hatchback.

But honestly... they aren't a woodcutting shop. They are a materials shop. You cut your own bloody wood! :lol

catty
13th September 2006, 08:52 AM
I like the fact that they have everything there in one shop. Smaller shops just don't have the range and I am one of those types of shoppers thats likes to look at products. Bit of an impulse buyer. If it is there and looks good then I might buy it. If your chewing the fat with a salesman or owner of another store and they say they will have to order it, no sale.:)

@lien_Zed
20th September 2006, 09:58 PM
I got a Home Hardware catalogue today.
for just $99 you can get a GMC 1200 watt router with 25 bits plus carry case and a 1/2 inch plunger router bit, plus normal 2 year warranty.
i dont know much about routers, but looks like a 1/2 inch unit is the way to go rather then 1 1/4 inch unit.i have seen 1000 watt gmc router with 1/4 inch bit at big w for $50