PDA

View Full Version : Medusa Fixes

stuba
19th August 2009, 11:24 AM
Medusa stopped working at the mega meet at some stage sat night. Problem reported was upper right flipper was dead.

When I powered it up (monday) it came on with no sound and dead upper right flipper.

Checked the fuses and the 20 amp 3AG on the rectifier board had blown, replaced it and this brought the sound back on.

I tested the URF coil and it reported 44 volts (all good). Grounded the coil and it worked fine indicating problem was not with the flipper or coil itself. Grounded the flipper connector pin at the sloenoid board and right lower worked but no upper. This effectively has told me the problem lies between the solenoid board and the flipper (i.e in the wiring). Started tracing the wiring and found that a wire had come off the ground/driver loop (at the lower flipper) - re-soldered and this fixed the problem.

This is the 3rd wire that has worked loose from a coil on this machine. Its worth noting that coil lugs generally have holes through them - if you poke the wire through the coil lug hole and then loop back to itself and then solder the lot together you have both a mechanical AND solder connection and can reduce the problems of poor solder joints.

Fish Tales
19th August 2009, 12:02 PM
Glad it was an easy fix Stu. I had a few games on it, and yeah its a tough game but fun as well.

AskJacob
19th August 2009, 02:12 PM
if you poke the wire through the coil lug hole and then loop back to itself and then solder the lot together you have both a mechanical AND solder connection and can reduce the problems of poor solder joints.

nice fix.

A little note on the soldering - I know a lot of ops never looped as it made desoldering a pain in the butt - yes, at the cost of not being a strong joint.

My tip is to put the wire through the eye, then bend it 180 degrees (no more!) so it is somewhat mechanically strong, but can still be "pulled away" when the solder is molten.

Stuba you are getting a mighty impressive collection - both of games and smarts!

Cheers
Jacob

acejas
19th August 2009, 03:42 PM
was looking forward to a good bash on it...what a great game...once i figure it out...you know that you have to get a paragon sitting next to it now

Fair Dinkum Dan
19th August 2009, 04:39 PM
Cool Stu. Glad you were able to trace and find the loose wire connection.

Cheers,

Dan

stuba
19th August 2009, 04:44 PM
My tip is to put the wire through the eye, then bend it 180 degrees (no more!) so it is somewhat mechanically strong, but can still be "pulled away" when the solder is molten.

thats a good tip and saves hassle on the next time you have to look at the coil.