PDA

View Full Version : Sanwa Joystick Advise

Shock_And_Awe
17th August 2009, 03:16 PM
Hi Guys,

I've got a couple of Atomiswave cabs that have Sanwa joysticks. I'm not sure what model the joysticks are but they don't have the restrictor plate thing that allows them to be switched from 8-way to 4-way.

This drives me crazy when playing all my old 80s favourites so basically now I just want to fix the problem.

Just some questions which I'm not sure can be answered by the info I'm providing....

1. Can I buy a restrictor plate to fit to these joysticks. You can buy restrictor plates here ( http://www.excellentcom.net/catalog.asp?catid=43693&subcatid=43692 ) Would these fit to my joysticks or are they for a different model? A pic of my joysticks are below.

2. If I can't fit these adaptor plates to mine, are the Sanwas on that page at Excellent Com the type that you can switch 8 to 4-way? I can't really tell from the pics. If so, I'll just get new joysticks if I can't get a restrictor plate.

Thanks for any help.
Mark.

spacies
17th August 2009, 03:23 PM
Hey Mark,

Yep your sticks are tough! Hamish, Ando and I could not play Robotron to save ourselves ( I should blame the alcohol). I think you should ditch them and buy some LS32s from Excellentcom.
They have the restrictor you are looking for:

http://www.excellentcom.net/imageResizeLibrary.asp?gen=1&f=ExcellentCOM&file=Tree\Picture\Joystick20.jpg&MaxWidth=189&MaxHeight=189

Playing the 4 way games on those sticks is just far too hard and takes away the fun.

:D

Shock_And_Awe
17th August 2009, 03:44 PM
Thanks Malcolm. The LS32s are Seimitsu brand which I've never used before. I am very happy with the Sanwas and like the feel of them. Do you think I'd be happy with the Seimitsus over the Sanwas?
Also how do you change them 4-way to 8-way? Is it just a twist of the restrictor plate or does it require unscrewing etc?

Btw it was definitely the sticks and not the alcohol. That's the excuse I've been using for years and probably why I've been putting the decision off to change them over :D

spacies
17th August 2009, 04:03 PM
No probs. LS32s and JLF Sanwa are extremely similar. They are slightly stiffer (minimal) and have a shorter shaft. The LS32 is very popular in Japan for all the fighting games. Until I used one I was a Sanwa fan but I am now a convert.

Yeah you do have to take out 2 screws. They are the ones in the pic which are above and below the joystick shaft base. They are only short and take about 20 seconds to swap the restrictor.

I think you will be happy with them and if you aren't you could sell them off very easily.

Brad
17th August 2009, 04:30 PM
Keep your current joysticks and install one of these instead?

DavidAVD's store

http://www.audiovisualdevices.com.au/viewprod.php?catid=&productid=APC614

Brad

spacies
17th August 2009, 04:37 PM
Those are great but if you really want to get a high score and joy a 4way game, you need to set the joystick to 4 way so you don't hit the diagonals.

Brad
17th August 2009, 04:47 PM
Your probably right although I haven't used a true 4 -way with restrictor in years so I seem to get by. I wonder if my scores would get amazingly better if I wacked in a proper 4 way LOL!

Brad

Claude
17th August 2009, 04:48 PM
I have the same joysticks on my Atomiswave and you can switch them from 8 way to 4 way but you do have to remove the large clear plate and then pop out the middle smaller restrictor plate and rotate it 45 degrees. Or did you know that already and you want a stick that can do it easier.

edit:
Actually, you don't pop the middle smaller plate out as it is spring loaded so you push it out slightly and rotate 45 deg. You might be able to do this without removing the larger plate if you had a tool that could pull on that smaller piece while you rotate it.

spacies
17th August 2009, 04:56 PM
Your probably right although I haven't used a true 4 -way with restrictor in years so I seem to get by. I wonder if my scores would get amazingly better if I wacked in a proper 4 way LOL!

Brad

Yeah mate, try it. It makes a HUGE difference.

Claude
17th August 2009, 05:19 PM
And here's a video that explains what I was trying to explain.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jQLXRD-0GBg&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jQLXRD-0GBg&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Shock_And_Awe
18th August 2009, 12:17 PM
Thanks a lot guys for all the help and suggestions. I have some great news that I just checked my joysticks and just as Claude said, mine can be switched from 8-way to 4-way all in about 20 secs tops!
I've had these cabs since 2005 and thought it couldn't be done. I had actually looked before but didn't realise that the plate that comes off is in 2 pieces and has the inner ring to twist.
That's great because I didn't really want to change these joysticks over and have to spend the $$s. Thanks Claude - you're a champion! and thanks again to everyone :)

I reckon some new high scores are coming my way - at least I hope because my 8-way joystick excuse has totally been blown away now :D

WOKA
18th August 2009, 01:18 PM
Shock_And_Awe = Arcade tech.. ;)

Claude
18th August 2009, 04:07 PM
Good to see we've solved your problem.

I think Savage let me know about that little bit of info just after I bought the Atomiswave from him.