PDA

View Full Version : LED's for Jukebox

Crafty
16th August 2009, 12:56 PM
Ok the latest Repco catalogue had a 20cm LED strip for $10, so I thought why not.

Now my simple question is how does one get 12v DC from a PC power supply.
This will enable me to add some cheap light's to the jukebox...

_Dan_
16th August 2009, 01:03 PM
http://www.helpwithpcs.com/courses/power-supply/atx-psu-pinouts.gif

:)

daics3522
16th August 2009, 01:23 PM
Ok the latest Repco catalogue had a 20cm LED strip for $10, so I thought why not.

Deal Extreme also have cheap 300mm LED strips all the time for $3.40 delivered......... I bought 20 of these for a project jukebox and all look mint when installed........

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5240

Crafty
16th August 2009, 01:35 PM
Thanks guys...

Will go and have a look at the power supplies that I stripped out of a few old pc's...

Lastly while I'm on the topic of PC power supplies, isn't there a loop you need to make to get the ATX power supply to think the pc has been switched on???

AdamC
16th August 2009, 01:55 PM
Thanks guys...

Will go and have a look at the power supplies that I stripped out of a few old pc's...

Lastly while I'm on the topic of PC power supplies, isn't there a loop you need to make to get the ATX power supply to think the pc has been switched on???

Connect the green wire to ground.

That will do it.

:023:

Johno
16th August 2009, 02:18 PM

did they have white ones crafty? How bright are they? Might be good for my jukebox marquee light!

AskJacob
16th August 2009, 03:59 PM
most, not all, but most "auto" led strips are rated for 14v.

They will work perfectly fine from 12v, but may not be as bright. A small difference, but one just to be aware of.

A lot of the LED strips from DX are really 12v rated, and do get run hard in cars (car voltage can be all over the shop, but around 13.4 - 14v when running) - so may look "super bright" but will kill the leds pretty quick.

LEDs can be a complicated thing, but fortunately cheap enough these days to just "whack 'em in and see" :D

Cheers
Jacob

Crafty
16th August 2009, 05:23 PM
did they have white ones crafty? How bright are they? Might be good for my jukebox marquee light!

They are very bright, and at 20cm fit perfectly behind the kiosk's screen shroud.

Colors were blue, and green only from memory. I just grabbed 2 blue ones to play with...

Mr Pubstuff
31st August 2009, 09:59 PM
ive seen crafty's led's and they are bright and very sweet:cool:

Crafty
1st September 2009, 08:37 AM
ive seen crafty's led's and they are bright and very sweet:cool:

Mate stop posting on public forums about our occasional meetings.

:lol:lol:lol

Nidzdotnet
8th September 2009, 06:35 PM
Yeah I just snip the power cable for the floppy drive and use the black and yellow for +12v... Easy as you like..