PDA

View Full Version : Monitor tubes - what do you suggest?

@lien_Zed
10th September 2006, 08:27 PM
Im keeping my eyes peeled for second hand tubes no bigger then 21 inch for one of my lowboy cabinets.

In particular id like to get a 2nd hand 21 inch telly tube and attach it to a universal monitor board from jomac.

Any brand names that i should avoid?
Whats brands are ok?

@lien_Zed
5th October 2006, 09:08 PM
i have found a few second hand 21 inch tellys for about $60.
a philips and a samsung.
picture qulaity looks good on both.
what tube is the better of the two or are they as bad as each other?

Berty
5th October 2006, 09:59 PM
Keep an eye out for Toshiba tubes and Panasonic tubes, i have had both and both are very good.

Johns-Arcade
5th October 2006, 10:19 PM
i have found a few second hand 21 inch tellys for about $60.
a philips and a samsung.
picture qulaity looks good on both.
what tube is the better of the two or are they as bad as each other?

The Phillips tube would most likely be the better brand, but I think it comes down to where the tubes were made. That said Samsung are now bigger than Sony, so I don't think it makes much difference, especially if they are both displaying nice pictures.

As for arcade monitor tubes, the only ones I use to have problems with were the ones made by Orion.

Personally though I wouldn't buy a working TV just to get the tube out of it. Try your local TV repair shop and see if you can get one for free. :)

Regards,

JWG.

@lien_Zed
6th October 2006, 11:34 AM
There is a few local tv repair shops. i did not even think to ask them about tubes.what a great idea. thank you i will try that

@lien_Zed
6th October 2006, 03:29 PM
i tried the local tv reapir shops and they told me to go to the dump as they chucked all their monitors out last week and the majority of then were 21 inch!!!

so i went to dump...

did not find a 21 inch tv monitor...

BUT

I bought a 21 inch IPEX montor for $10.
the power light comes on but no picture. it is a samsung tube. i have a mate of mine who knows about monitors and im going to get him to look at it.
if it turns out the main monitor circuit board is kaput can i use one of the jomac universal monitor chassis to drive the tube with?

@lien_Zed
6th October 2006, 03:56 PM
i called jomac. unfortunatley i can not use one of their universal chassis to drive my monitor tube with:cry
hopefully the friend of mine i have organised to look at it can do something with it

danny_galaga
6th October 2006, 06:55 PM
i called jomac. unfortunatley i can not use one of their universal chassis to drive my monitor tube with:cry
hopefully the friend of mine i have organised to look at it can do something with it

did they say why? im interested in doing this too but it would be good to know in advance why certain tv tubes might not be useful...

Prof
6th October 2006, 07:12 PM
I know you cant use any flatscreen tubes (like Trinitron) as they drive them differently to normal tube.

@lien_Zed
6th October 2006, 08:57 PM
did they say why? im interested in doing this too but it would be good to know in advance why certain tv tubes might not be useful...

the monitor i got is a VGA monitor not a tv tube.
the universal chassis from jomac will drive tv tubes no drama, but not vga monitors :-((

danny_galaga
7th October 2006, 01:00 AM
cool, ill only be going for regular tellies anyway. and a flat screen kinda defeats the retro look, doesnt it? (",)

@lien_Zed
7th October 2006, 09:03 AM
keep your eyes peeled in the news papers you can find cheap 53cm tellies for about 60 bucks.
make sure you see the telly working so you can see if the tube is ok or else keep moving and go find another telly.
i found a few tellys at second hand shops here for just $60 and they are 53cm (21 inch)
if i can not get the vga monitor repaired, i will return it to the dump and buy the telly.
i have my fingers croess i can get the $10 vga monitor working.

i have a 17 inch ipex im looking at now and it works fine.
i wonder if the chassis in the would drive the bigger tube or go kaput?:unsure

Prof
7th October 2006, 02:13 PM
Hard rubbish nights is a good source for 20" tubes :)

Also, recycling centers, or go to a tv repair shop or retail store (most retail places will take the old tv away) and ask if they have any 20" tv's they are throwing out. Most will glady give them to you

@lien_Zed
7th October 2006, 05:24 PM
hate to sound silly, but what is a hard rubbish night???

danny_galaga
7th October 2006, 07:17 PM
theyve just been talking about it on byoac. its when, several times a year the council picks up ALL rubbish. this is when you can drag out old mattresses and washing machines (and tvs :) ) onto the nature strip and the council will collect.

@lien_Zed
7th October 2006, 08:01 PM
aaaaahhhhhh....
yes they have it here in townsville.
we have a jiant clean up before cyclone season...

and that should not be too far away!!!;)

Crafty
7th October 2006, 08:14 PM
So I'm just going to jump in here and ask a stupid question...

If I had a non-working TV, stripped it down to just the picture tube, I could get it going with this universal chassis from Jomac???

Johns-Arcade
7th October 2006, 08:22 PM
So I'm just going to jump in here and ask a stupid question...

If I had a non-working TV, stripped it down to just the picture tube, I could get it going with this universal chassis from Jomac???

Provided the picture tube was ok, yes.

Regards,

JWG.

Crafty
7th October 2006, 08:25 PM
Hmmm

We just has a hard rubbish night and I just offloaded a TV :cry

@lien_Zed
7th October 2006, 08:55 PM
Provided the picture tube was ok, yes.

Regards,

JWG.

and providing you had some way of driving the tv be it with an arcade vga card for your pc to give a 15Khz signal or a jpac as you can feed a standatd vga signal to it and it will divide the 31k signal and let it run a tv with the jomac chassis.

jpac
http://www.ultimarc.com/jpac.html

arcade vga
http://www.ultimarc.com/avgainf.html