PDA

View Full Version : What i reckon play fields are sealed with.

Willie Wolf
10th September 2006, 11:46 AM
Tried an experiment last night. The busted playfield from a 1991 Gottlieb pinnie was treated with the following and the results were…In order of my perceived solvent power…
Water……..no effect
Ethanol (metho)…….no effect
Turpentine …..no effect
Lacquer thinners…..no effect
Ethyle Acetate (Nail Polish remover) …..no effect
Chloroform (usually does the trick)…..no effect
MEK Methyl Ethyl Ketone (Very strong plastic and paint solvent Melts everything. The mother of all solvents. Nasty stuff. Treat with care)…..no effect. I reckon a long soak might do something but the vapour would kill you.
MEK peroxide….(father of ALL solvents)….. didn’t have any.
Conclusion….It has to be Polyurethane. I was using 2 pack polyurethane commercially in the late 70’s so I reckon most playfields from the 70’s are sealed with it.

DKong
11th September 2006, 07:26 PM
You have been busy! Looks like most diamond plating is near bullet proof..

Here's some info on clearcoating playfields if you haven't seen it before..

http://www.marvin3m.com/restore/index2.htm#pf2

Savage
11th September 2006, 07:45 PM
The above link, I wouldn't personally use that varathane,,, Instead Automotive clear, from Marvin again:
http://www.marvin3m.com/clear/index.htm..
2 pack is similar to Polyurethane.
Main difference is Polyurethane is shiner, but if you **** up or get some dust / shit in the paint you will never be able to rub it out and buff it up to the same gloss.....

But both are very durable and both when cured have no effect to any solvents...

DKong
11th September 2006, 09:48 PM
Cheers for that info Savage.. i have never clearcoated before and the more info that is gathered is great. My thoughts would be to take it to an automotive spray place and get them to do it first ..But if you were in Car doing up bizz you would have all that gear ...sell those cars you were going to do up and buy a Pin..no rego.. can play it when pissed..rubbers are cheaper than tires.they don't use petrol.... what more can i say....

kramer
11th September 2006, 11:37 PM
the man makes a good point. mayby i should sell my pulsar, get the cash from that and buy a TZ. then just ride my motorbike everywhere.... naah fk that.:tomato

Mrvfone
15th September 2006, 07:49 PM
the man makes a good point. mayby i should sell my pulsar, get the cash from that and buy a TZ. then just ride my motorbike everywhere.... naah fk that.:tomato

I'd love to see 2 monitors and 2 chassis on the back of a motorbike ;)

Better keep the Pulsar..

Mrv.