PDA

View Full Version : Car Speakers/Amp for jukebox

Dannymh
10th August 2009, 04:37 PM
Righto. I was playing with some standard 5.1 ch speakers i had with my jukebox and decided they just arent beefy enough and the quality of sound just isnt good enough.

As such I went on a trip to office work and Hardly normal and tried out their other computer speakers on full ;)

all of them just seemed like computer speakers and were not going to cut it as speakers.

As such I was thinking another choice would be to set up a rig with car speakers and amp.

Say woofer and 2 tweeters or two 6inches and 2 tweeters.

Though not too sure.

Has anyone put car speakers in their jukebox?

If so what was the setup you went with?

Brad
11th August 2009, 08:47 AM
I have car speakers in mine but they are running off a PC Altec Lansing Sub.

Damn good sound but would really like an amp to pump out even more volume of a needs basis

Brad

stu
11th August 2009, 09:00 AM
Logitech Z5500.....try those pc speakers.

Nidzdotnet
11th August 2009, 09:42 AM
If you have a good stereo system why don't you just put a wireless audio sender in the jukebox and then the receiver on your stereo amp.. This will allow you to hook the system up wireless to any system. I personally use a Creative 5.1 system and I find it to be sufficient for my needs.

Dannymh
11th August 2009, 10:39 AM
Nah i want this as a self contained box outside the speakers.

I tried the z5500 but still wasnt what I was looking for.

Time to head to autopro on the weekend and start a wishlist methinks

biggeorge
11th August 2009, 10:39 AM
I have installed a full car stereo setup into an arcade cabinet. It works REALLY well.

Use all car stereo gear, do not mix and match with a regular amp, use a car stereo amp, car stereo subs, speakers, etc.. and run it off a separate PC power supply.

The sound is phenomenal.

Dannymh
11th August 2009, 10:44 AM
I have installed a full car stereo setup into an arcade cabinet. It works REALLY well.

Use all car stereo gear, do not mix and match with a regular amp, use a car stereo amp, car stereo subs, speakers, etc.. and run it off a separate PC power supply.

The sound is phenomenal.

What did you go with speaker wise?

I only have about a 510mm x 400mm area to play with, though I could go deeper

More looking for advice on the exact speaker and woofer sizes you went with

biggeorge
11th August 2009, 05:41 PM
I have used a pair of 6" speakers on the left & right channels of a 4ch amp. Then I bridged the other 2 channels to drive a 10" sub.

The sub was mounted in the back of an upright arcade cabinet below the panels that you can remove.

This might sound stupid but, Just shove 'em in wherever you can. Ideally you want the speaker facing outwards from the cabinet, but you can create some intersting sounds by mounting them onto a timber panel internally. You end up with a more boomy, boxy kind of sound when they are like that but it isn't ideal.

Maybe show us some pictures!??

spacies
11th August 2009, 06:14 PM
Forget it.

Buy a cheap older HiFi component system (my choice) or a new Midi system.
Car stereos are made for cars and that is where they should stay.

SPURR
11th August 2009, 09:12 PM
I have been using auto speakers in many projects for years and there great! I like the 3 way Pioneer 9 by 6's or Pioneer 6" 3way's. I put 2 of these speakers in series which gives you 8 ohms, make up a box and use it for a center channel for 5.1 surround systems. I have a home made one now under my lcd hi def tele sounds awesome. Ive also used them in pins, quality of the speaker is better than the originals.

wingtipvortex
11th August 2009, 09:26 PM
I put 2 of these speakers in series which gives you 8 ohms
Doing this should give you fantastic results. Left, Right, Sub, dont need 5.1 for music. As said before, a nice seperate power amp is your best bet.

MetalSkin
13th August 2009, 08:19 AM
I'm curious about your comments Spacies.

My initial reaction to using car audio equipment is wouldn't you be paying for features in the car audio equipment that is solely around solving problems that you experience in a car? Eg. vibration, heat, etc? I would have thought buying the speakers that are not prepackaged into a Car style enclosure would be cheaper. And as Spacies said, a second hand old stereo system would be damn cheap. I have no real idea when it comes to these things, but I'm really really curious. I know that car stuff is easy to install as you don't have to worry about sorting out cross overs and all that kinda stuff, but I was willing to jump in cause there is tonnes of resources about it on the net.

I just picked up this 5.1 system (http://www.yamahamusic.com.au/products/avit/htsystems/AVX-S20.asp) second hand for $50. Seen heaps of stereos at cash converters over the years (though haven't been in one for quite a while). Plan to maybe use this in my Jukebox I'm going to build, however I'm not sure about the speakers, so I may keep the speakers to use in cabs that I build in future :)

Brad
13th August 2009, 09:12 AM
That looks awesome. Is it a built in amp? I'd love to put something like this in mine as the current set don't get enough power.

brad

MetalSkin
13th August 2009, 12:49 PM
Not sure. I dont have it with me now, picking it up this sat. I'm presuming that the box in the pic is the amp but not sure if the subwoofer is active/passive (don't even know if you can have a passive subwoofer).

People sell stuff all the time at work but generally goes damn fast. If something like this comes up again, want me to grab it for you?

Brad
13th August 2009, 01:46 PM
Definitely at that price and if I can output sound from the PC into it! Let me know how you go.

What I'm looking for is something that has a decent sub and can drive car audio speakers with plenty of grunt. The Altec Lansing I have works really well, just doesn't drive enough sound out =/

Cheers,
Brad

David_AVD
13th August 2009, 02:00 PM
20W per channel should be reasonably loud. 50W - 100W would give you more headroom (party loud), but it all comes down to what's available and how much you want to spend.

Speaker efficiency can play a big part too. A smaller amplifier with more sensitive speakers can do the job just as well as a big amp and inefficient speakers. It's not the whole story, but you can compare sensitivity ratings (expressed in dB/1W) to get an idea - higher numbers are better.

spacies
13th August 2009, 02:37 PM
I'm curious about your comments Spacies.

My initial reaction to using car audio equipment is wouldn't you be paying for features in the car audio equipment that is solely around solving problems that you experience in a car? Eg. vibration, heat, etc? I would have thought buying the speakers that are not prepackaged into a Car style enclosure would be cheaper. And as Spacies said, a second hand old stereo system would be damn cheap. I have no real idea when it comes to these things, but I'm really really curious. I know that car stuff is easy to install as you don't have to worry about sorting out cross overs and all that kinda stuff, but I was willing to jump in cause there is tonnes of resources about it on the net.

I just picked up this 5.1 system (http://www.yamahamusic.com.au/products/avit/htsystems/AVX-S20.asp) second hand for $50. Seen heaps of stereos at cash converters over the years (though haven't been in one for quite a while). Plan to maybe use this in my Jukebox I'm going to build, however I'm not sure about the speakers, so I may keep the speakers to use in cabs that I build in future :)

My theory is very simple.
Complete midi-systems are proven and don't sound too bad.
Sure it sounds good in a car but what wouldn't when all you have to fill is 5 odd cubic metres.

Something like this fighter pilot thing would be great in a juke. (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Sony-HiFi-System-PowerMax-LBT-Amazing-Sound-System_W0QQitemZ320410693864QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_ hifi_system?hash=item4a99f730e8&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14)

Couple of reasons:

It works.
No need to worry how it is going to sound.
It has a remote control.
It plays LOUD (ish)
You can remove all the drivers and mount them to the jukebox itself if you wanted. Like tweeters at ear level etc.
It is simple to throw in a CD (probably plays MP3s too) that your mate brought over or Nana's cassette tape.

IMO its a cheap and simple solution. Who wants to listen to a juke that sounds shit? For $300 you are done and won't be dissapointed. You could go pro-sound gear if you really wanted it to pump but its probably OTT.

This is just my 2c though.

Dannymh
13th August 2009, 03:45 PM
My friend up here is a bit of a car and audio nut.

Whenever he builds speakers or audio equipment he generally goes with standard home amp and car speakers.

His suggestion for my box was an 8 inch woofer with 2 tweeeters and make sure that no base is getting to the tweeters etc.

The other bonus of car audio equipment is that often it is compact and high quality for its size.

biggeorge
15th August 2009, 07:03 AM
Use whatever you have available to you...

If you go with car stereo stuff, you do not need to use the head unit at all.

Just use a 3.5mm stereo -> 2x RCA lead and plug the PC straight into the car stereo Amp.
It will be a good learning experience for you if you use it to set up the crossovers, EQ's, etc.. You can get it to sound incredible if you do your research.

Also read up on speaker box design, volumes (as in, cubic volume), bass porting, etc. You can make good speaker sound like shit with the wrong box size, wrong bass porting, etc..

chriscross
16th August 2009, 01:13 PM
Car gear is lame IMO

Why would you use a 12V system when second hand home audio gear for a good price that sounds 20 times better

Unless you want DOOF DOOF hectic sick bro style

Johno
16th August 2009, 06:06 PM
I used the Altec Lansing Expressionist Bass FX3022 Speakers for my wall mounted jukebox as space was an issue re having pc speakers with a spearate sub and I don't know enough about car speakers/amps/subs etc etc ...they have built in subwoofers and are just pc speakers..they are fairly small but the sound from them is really, really good and I am definatley not disappointed with them. as tehy are pc speakers they are quick and easy to connect to a pc.

Dannymh
17th August 2009, 09:43 AM
space is a bit of an issue with mine too. I guess I am looking for fairly loud...party loud and space savers

Dannymh
28th August 2009, 03:14 PM
I am still planning on going this route but on the look out for a PSU from a computer that will put out enough AMPS.

I currently only have an 8.0A PSU here, on the 12v rail.

So that likely wont be enough to power any decent car amp and will see the PSU fried.

Otherwise I am wondering whether something like the following item can be wired to power an Amp since it out puts 20amps on 12v, and whether I would need to put a car PSU in between or whether I could direct wire to the Amp?

spacies
28th August 2009, 04:20 PM
To drive a medium size car amp to high levels you need something pretty stable.
Maybe THIS (http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/4a97760b03fbed32273fc0a87e0106a4/Product/View/Q1755).

A small car battery is something like 200amps and a good amp will make the lights on your car go dim!

Mr Pubstuff
30th August 2009, 03:16 PM
i was toying with car amp/sub/speakers, as i have a pretty neat set out of the old car packed away and i still want to hear of guys going this way successfully, but some times things change..

i picked up a 150w us audio powered sub from ebay for 56 (cost the guy over 600) and it had low level inputs and outputs also so i got my 8 year old computer speakers that ive been looking for a reason to replace and plugged them into the low level output of the sub. plugged the sub into the rotten old sound out on the pc and turned the bass on the speakers down and the gain on the sub up and let rip. ......

ummm, it rattles the windows badly as well as the glass in the pinballs and to be honest is too loud to turn all the way up cos the kids cant stand it unless they have their ears covered and my ears ring after a minute or 3. :023:

good investment for sound power, but the sub is big and heavy and didnt fit where i wanted it to, so it will maybe become the home theatre sub and i'll use the smaller one in a juke if i can, dunno yet.

Dannymh
8th September 2009, 03:14 PM
I was wandering around the re-use centre today and saw a Hardan / Kardon 6150 so decided to pick it up and ask how much. I bargained the guy down to $10......it wasnt until i got home and had a look around that I realised I may have picked up a real bargain.

My mate is bringing around a set of speakers he built tonight to test it out. Lets hope it works, but either way $10 cant go wrong really

vantheman18
16th September 2009, 09:27 PM
I have car speakers in mine but they are running off a PC Altec Lansing Sub.

Damn good sound but would really like an amp to pump out even more volume of a needs basis

Brad

I have a cheapo Computer sub which works well. Can i just hook up standard car speakers to the sub. The guy at jaycar told me i couldnt because of the ohms or something like that. You can probably tell i got no idea about electronics. Could i just hook up the car speakers to my computer sub using standard speaker cable?

The back of the computer sub has the 2 black and red clips to clip in the wires

David_AVD
16th September 2009, 09:41 PM
A stand-alone sub won't have the extra amplifiers to drive the left & right speakers.

If it does have outputs for them you're all set, assuming your speakers are not lower in impedance than what it can handle.

Does it have separate controls for bass and treble?

vantheman18
16th September 2009, 09:48 PM
A stand-alone sub won't have the extra amplifiers to drive the left & right speakers.

If it does have outputs for them you're all set, assuming your speakers are not lower in impedance than what it can handle.

Does it have separate controls for bass and treble?

Hi David

The sub has power on button, voulume control and bass control

i have some old tv speakers running off them at the moment

David_AVD
16th September 2009, 10:06 PM
As long as the car speakers are not lower in impedance than what it's designed for, go for it. I assume the car speakers are 4 Ohm. Are the TV speakers 4 or 8 Ohms?