PDA

View Full Version : Video: How to redecal a Pinball Machine

ClarkMills
9th August 2009, 07:30 AM
Hi all.

I've just redecaled my 3rd Fish Tales and thought I'd spend a bit of
time videoing it for others to get an idea how they might do it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zy_9zkrpg94

No, I don't have a garage / shed so the lounge is it.

Cheers... Clark

Arcade King
9th August 2009, 08:01 AM
cheers for sharing Clark

Shock_And_Awe
9th August 2009, 08:09 AM
A great vid Clark. You're obviously very efficient at it - looks like it's all done in an arvos work :) Thanks for posting it!!

Fish Tales
9th August 2009, 08:09 AM
The video got stuck at 9.06 for me. Must say you have it all down to a fine art, everything done as a one man job! Interesting that you decaled over the originals for headbox. I assume because there was no damage/no need to fill and sand in that area? I know some guys decal over the lower cab decals as well. Next time your in Australia your welcome to come to my place to do my Fish Tales ;)
Top video, ty for posting!

acejas
9th August 2009, 09:34 AM
awesome work...thanks for posting

ClarkMills
9th August 2009, 10:44 AM
Interesting that you decaled over the originals for headbox...

The backbox artwork is different to the body, I'm not quite sure how exactly. With Fish Tales, you'll notice that the backbox is never as faded as the cabinet. I *think* that the artwork is screen printed directly onto the backbox but I could be wrong. I have a vague recollection of trying to heat-gun / scrape the backbox to no avail in earlier FT's. Anyway, just make sure that the surface is filled, sanded & grease free. In the video I use window cleaner & a magic eraser as well as feel for any imperfections. The odd "bubble" can be dealt to with a pin. :)

Cheers... Clark

daics3522
9th August 2009, 11:45 AM
Good work Clark.....

AskJacob
9th August 2009, 12:04 PM
Thanks for going to all that effort to record this - I know it must have added time to the job too!

I still have my 1st decal job to do, and am happy to absorb everything I can!

Cheers
Jacob

knight76
9th August 2009, 01:00 PM
Looks like your a pro at it.

Good video.

shootar75
9th August 2009, 01:57 PM
nice vids cheers,

it gives me the confidence to totally root mine up now! :D

pinsanity
9th August 2009, 02:40 PM
Two thumbs up for the "dry" method. :cool:

You are more brave than I am, peeling off the backing paper so fast (my method is more removing an inch or so at a time).

Great to watch it done so quickly, thanks for sharing it. :)

Dice275o
3rd September 2009, 10:18 AM
How mesmerising. I could watch that all day. Must be very satisfying at the end...

spacies
3rd September 2009, 02:31 PM
Let me give you a couple of tips.

Firstly, you should have painted the cab before applying those decals then you could have done it wet :p (many long drunk discussions on this)
Secondly, you should use a longer blade when cutting out circles like around the start button. Seriously, it works much better.
Thirdly, its not like hanging wallpaper. Wallpaperers use TOOLS not hands! I am a painter by trade.
Forthly, you should use some of that double sided tape to hold the leg protectors in place. Something I figured out last night!

All my own opinion of course mate :p

Oh, pity you didn't show some pics after it was done 'cos we would have liked to see the final results. Great job!

stuba
3rd September 2009, 02:52 PM
geez i missed this when it was first posted but what a great vid. thanks for taking the time to record it, edit it and post it. cheers
:)