View Full Version : Twin Cobra

Shock_And_Awe
9th September 2006, 10:10 AM
HIGH SCORES
1. Staceyamusements 1,422,170 - area 260
2. Feeras 1,356,450 - area 182
3. Shock 1,210,890 - area 167
4. bwodie 486,130

I haven't been doing much arcade gaming lately but like DKongs idea about game threads/high score challenges and what Smit started with Snow Bros.
I thought I'd start one up with Twin Cobra. I'm not sure what roms make any difference but I just used Twin Cobra (World).
What a great game! This is one I used to play as a kid.

I will post a score very soon, but let's keep 'em coming boys!!

476,740 - area 95
666,580 - area 120
863,160 - area 136
1,048,560 - area 155
1,210,890 - area 167

feeras
9th September 2006, 10:49 AM
I'm in! I used to play that game a lot. May not have time this weekend but during the week I'll give it a crack.. I'll try 1942 too..

bwodie
9th September 2006, 11:53 AM
can i input scores from playin on the pcb?
not sure if its the world or us board i have. can check for markings?

Shock_And_Awe
9th September 2006, 01:15 PM
yeah for sure. I'm not sure what the differences are but anyway a good gamer never blames his...er..roms.

bwodie
9th September 2006, 03:28 PM
greatest shooter EVER :D
great choice shock :)

Shock_And_Awe
9th September 2006, 04:41 PM
just thinking if you guys are keen, maybe if you wanted to start a challenge on a game you then need to maintain that thread and keep the high score and persons name in the title. If another player beats this score then they make a post, submit a photo (as MGL rules) then the title of the thread is changed to the current leader?? Dunno.....is there a better way?
The good thing about this kind of comp is that you can come and go as you please but also play what ever game you want to.
Any thoughts on this sort of concept??

feeras
10th September 2006, 06:36 PM
Had time for a couple games of Twin Cobra. The first was a shocker, the second better. The second was a score of around 1.3m. I think the area was 182. It was the last level however where the bullets seem to fly from all directions at you :) I'll have a go at 1942 during the week.

Shock_And_Awe
10th September 2006, 07:01 PM
Had time for a couple games of Twin Cobra. The first was a shocker, the second better. The second was a score of around 1.3m. I think the area was 182. It was the last level however where the bullets seem to fly from all directions at you :) I'll have a go at 1942 during the week.

1.3m :lol :lol I love it man!! Awesome score....****!! I've my work cut out for me but will get to it. I love a challenge like this. What's the go with this, a couple of goes and you scored 1.3m?? You obviously like your shmupps so try on some 1942 my high was 719k I think. Hey post a pic and I'll put it up as the high score.

feeras
10th September 2006, 08:14 PM
the key to twin cobra is keep moving! I've only got to the last boss once :) I'm pretty sure I can't do that for 1942 though. 1942 is all over the place last time i played (long time ago) and i think i worked out it was best to move only when needed.

Shock_And_Awe
11th September 2006, 07:59 PM
well I just cracked the tonne for the first time. It's a good game but not as good as Flying Shark for these reasons....
- when you die in Flying Shark it takes you back an area so you can't progress until you are good enough to clear the area.
- I hate games where the score keeps going when you continue. That's one of the things that annoys me about more modern shoot em ups. I remember I used to see the highscore on a game in an arcade and think **** someone's good, but it was only because they put more coins in.
I got up to area 155 and I'm guessing it loops at 200?? I'll just keep at it and see. I'm not in your league yet Feeras but I'm coming after you....
What a workout the game is....I'll have a rest 'till tomorrow and go again.

Just made a high score table in my first post....where's some more scores??

bwodie
11th September 2006, 09:14 PM
the pins to coin up on my harness are ****ed, so i cant credit atm
trying to sort it lol

DKong
11th September 2006, 10:46 PM
Had a quick game tonight played before but not under the Intsenity of the MGL..got 150,000 plus.. Have to say was a bit confused with what fire power to take and found it ruined my game....trying to decide what firepower to take.. Man got some work to do here......like it though:cool:

Shock_And_Awe
11th September 2006, 10:55 PM
Had a quick game tonight played before but not under the Intsenity of the MGL..got 150,000 plus.. Have to say was a bit confused with what fire power to take and found it ruined my game....trying to decide what firepower to take.. Man got some work to do here......like it though:cool:

stick with the blue weapon the whole way in my opinion. The green laser type weapon looks to be the most powerful but it is difficult in general play. I have tried switching to this before the end bosses but then would die with it before I could change back to the blue. I've decided now just to stick with blue.
After playing Flying Shark in the MGL I am sure you'll find your scores improve quickly.

bwodie
12th September 2006, 07:56 AM
red or blue depending what ya into i reckon :)

feeras
12th September 2006, 09:01 AM
blue for most of the levels. Green needed for a couple of bosses later on. It'd get to a point when your helicopter can't match the speed of the shots from the big bosses, so you'd need green. yellow is shite! useless and not even sure why it was included.

bwodie
12th September 2006, 09:23 AM
i like red because of the slight spread yet still keeping some good damage.
saying that, im sure my scores will be smallish compared to you guys lol

Shock_And_Awe
12th September 2006, 08:11 PM
I just changed to the green weapon for the boss at the end of the 4th stage and killed it quite easily. This is the first time I've got up to the 5th stage first man because it has always got me in the past. A new high score for me too 1.2mil

feeras
12th September 2006, 08:16 PM
Just had a few attempts at 1942. I'm hopeless as. Best was 235k Level 6.I'm unsure if preactice is the answer here. Also, i tended to die before i could roll :(

Shock_And_Awe
12th September 2006, 09:00 PM
Just had a few attempts at 1942. I'm hopeless as. Best was 235k Level 6.I'm unsure if preactice is the answer here. Also, i tended to die before i could roll :(

I was expecting you to say you scored 1 million points in 1942 - you seem to kick ass at all games so far. Yeah I used to always die then think **** I should've rolled!! It is practice too....I think I scored 200k or so at the beginning of the week when it was in the MGL and by the end of the week had 700k

feeras
12th September 2006, 09:59 PM
practice it is then!

bwodie
16th September 2006, 12:43 PM
486130 on my first game back

staceyamusements
16th September 2006, 03:01 PM
This was where all my pocket money went when i was teenager.
My first arcade machine i bought was a Twin Cobra.
I have 3 pcbs of the game.Two orginal Taitos and a bootleg.
i will allways have spares.
It took me a while to get to my old form,but this is what i call a shooter.

feeras
16th September 2006, 05:31 PM
god damn! :)

Shock_And_Awe
16th September 2006, 10:03 PM
yeah I don't like this one bit. This is my thread George just go and start your own thread and post your high scores there where someone cares:D
Highscores updated. I'll stay off the Wild Turkeys to keep my head clear tomorrow and will be back...

staceyamusements
16th September 2006, 10:12 PM
My tips.
Stick with the blue weapon and always if possiable get the p stars.
The p stars are worth 3000pts at the end of each stage.

Shock_And_Awe
16th September 2006, 10:14 PM
My tips.
Stick with the blue weapon and always if possiable get the p stars.
The p stars are worth 3000pts at the end of each stage.
yeah yeah I know all that but how the do you get to area 260??:lol It is a very nice score. Does it loop at area 200?

staceyamusements
16th September 2006, 10:34 PM
Yes the game does loop quite a bit.
I have heard but not provern yet.That when you play for quite a while you can get to level 1000.That would take at least a couple of hrs.Gameplay is still the same as level 200.It does tend just to repeat itself at a much faster pace.Also i have heard once you pass the 1000 level it does not click over to level 1001,it just credits just level 1000 on the scoretable.

Davefjedi
18th September 2006, 07:38 AM
This was where all my pocket money went when i was teenager.
My first arcade machine i bought was a Twin Cobra.
I have 3 pcbs of the game.Two orginal Taitos and a bootleg.
i will allways have spares.
It took me a while to get to my old form,but this is what i call a shooter.

HOLEY CRAPnow thats a dam good score I can see u standing there now .... OHHH need the loo where did I put that empty coke bottle damit:o :o

DKong
18th September 2006, 07:00 PM
I don't know what it is with this game..but it's got me Fked..Seems everytime I go for the "P" or power up..I end up in all sorts of shit..good programing I reckon.. the boss's are harder than they look...

Well 486000 level 76..

reckon I can go close to 1000,000 as I continued last night.:badgrin .just to see what happens ( and OMG the score continues too..hmmm don't like that)

BTW my score is not a continue...

staceyamusements
19th September 2006, 09:31 PM
HOLEY CRAPnow thats a dam good score I can see u standing there now .... OHHH need the loo where did I put that empty coke bottle damit:o :o

You are not wrong.
My faithful 2 ltr empty coke bottle.
Will try to crack the 1.5 million later this week.

The Pinny Parlour
19th September 2006, 09:38 PM
Arcade Game Record
http://www.twingalaxies.com/index.aspx?c=22&pi=2&gi=4660&vi=5009

M.A.M.E Record
http://www.twingalaxies.com/index.aspx?c=22&pi=46&gi=3009&vi=10781

bwodie
26th September 2006, 02:56 PM
like i said before, Twin Cobra and Bomb Jack are pretty much the main games that got me into arcade gear.
Always trying to collect original dedicated cabs of my fav games, i knew i would never come accross an original twin cobra in aus. looks like this:
http://www.arcadesforsale.com/twincobra3.jpg
I have had a mint marque for a fair while, I have NOS side art in near mint condition, and constantly stressed over wether to purchase repro art from classicarcadegrafix which i have heard so much mixed opinion about.
but finally i won the bezel, CPO and another marquee and pcb.
the CPO looks a little beaten up, and the bezel dont look to bad at all. Hard to tell from the pics, but for only 50US im as happy as larry
weeeeeee

now i just gotta start building the cab heh

hamish_nz
26th September 2006, 03:58 PM
Nice!!!!
You should be able to put together a great cab from the parts you have

Shock_And_Awe
12th January 2007, 05:54 PM
all this talk on the other thread about schumps...er....shmups got me thinking about one of the classics. A few Wild Turkeys to clear my head and my old form has returned!! First game scored around the 500k mark, 2nd game around 700k then my third game was my all-time 2nd highest score of 1.1B

I've got the shakes now and finding it difficult to type....a few bourbons will fix that:D

MegaA
12th May 2012, 11:55 AM
I'll ad my 2 cents worth and say my highest is 1,153,130 which is area 178. A very big relead reading that it finished at area 200.

MegaA
27th April 2013, 06:50 PM
ANybody know why sometimes (more times than not ) I cannot find the extra man in stage 5 ? Where is it meant to be ?? Also whats the tactic at beating the level 7 bosses ? I find them more diffciult than the level 8 boss.

Since pasting the below I have got a lot better at the game and now if i don;t get more than 1.15 million then thats a bad game. My highest now is area 219 with the score being 1.6 million. I am going to clock this game one day.

MegaA
21st April 2014, 07:49 AM
And what he said is what he did!!! Nearly a year has passed and I am excited and relieved to say that yes I have finally clocked this game. This was by far the hardest game I have ever clocked and the one that needed the most practice and attention to clock. Their will never be another game where I will put in so much effort to loop. However hard it was the satisfaction of knowing I beat one of the all time difficult games is great.

best score now (which will probably be my best score ever as once I finish a game i don't replay them generally) is 2,113,950 with reaching area 277. (The game loops at 240 and starts form stage one again).

Woody
21st April 2014, 08:51 AM
Bloody well done! It's one hell of a fun and tough game for sure. I have a PCB tucked away in the shed, I NEED to drag it out for some games.

OOO
21st April 2014, 11:52 AM
And what he said is what he did!!! Nearly a year has passed and I am excited and relieved to say that yes I have finally clocked this game. This was by far the hardest game I have ever clocked and the one that needed the most practice and attention to clock. Their will never be another game where I will put in so much effort to loop. However hard it was the satisfaction of knowing I beat one of the all time difficult games is great.

best score now (which will probably be my best score ever as once I finish a game i don't replay them generally) is 2,113,950 with reaching area 277. (The game loops at 240 and starts form stage one again).

Congratulations MegaA ... a terrific accomplishment ... MegaA

Almost two years since your first post on this game, and like you say, one year in the making.
Can you please post a screenshot of the score?
I would like to register your name in the MGL high score for Twin Cobra.
So there goes another Shock_And_Awe record at 1,141,360.

Oh, and I made this up for you, for making such a great effort over a year and doing it ... you certainly deserve it ... :038:

http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l500/sno-bee/TwinCobraMegaA_zpsfea43940.png (http://s1120.photobucket.com/user/sno-bee/media/TwinCobraMegaA_zpsfea43940.png.html)

:)

MegaA
21st April 2014, 08:51 PM
Thanks heaps - just to clarify I have been playing it for years not one year. Played it when it was at the arcade sin the mid 90's then didn't start playing it again till 2009. Since then its been on and off. Thanks for the congratulations message and the graphic. Thought the most appropriate people to tell is you guys as my friends and family don;t share the same enthusiasm about arcade games as you do.

As for posting a picture of the high score I can't as this version of my mame doesn't save the scores and have reset the computer since then - therefore deleting the score HOWEVER you have given me incentive to play it again. I will play it again using one credit and loop it and then post a screen shot.

This should be in the coming weeks. Watch this space.

Thanks you and I'LL BE BACK!

- - - Updated - - -

MegaA
23rd April 2014, 07:03 AM
Without sounding arrogant I can beat that Shock and awe record of 1,141,360 Pretty easily. I will come back in a few days with a score which beats that - i'll post a screen shot. Then i'll continue at trying to loop it and get it better / close to the 2 million one I posted.

MegaA
7th May 2014, 07:42 PM
Without sounding arrogant I can beat that Shock and awe record of 1,141,360 Pretty easily. I will come back in a few days with a score which beats that - i'll post a screen shot. Then i'll continue at trying to loop it and get it better / close to the 2 million one I posted.

Would somebody be kind enough to tell me how to post a picture in the forum ? I want to post a photo of a score !!

Rat
7th May 2014, 07:46 PM
Click reply...........look at the icons at the top of the reply box.....select the "insert image" one, navigate to your image and post.

MegaA
7th May 2014, 07:53 PM

WOKA
7th May 2014, 07:55 PM
So how long would that game have taken..?

MegaA
7th May 2014, 08:23 PM
Roughly about 50 minutes I guess it takes to loop it. Are you a fan of the game ?

- - - Updated - - -

Congratulations MegaA ... a terrific accomplishment ... MegaA

Almost two years since your first post on this game, and like you say, one year in the making.
Can you please post a screenshot of the score?
I would like to register your name in the MGL high score for Twin Cobra.
So there goes another Shock_And_Awe record at 1,141,360.

Oh, and I made this up for you, for making such a great effort over a year and doing it ... you certainly deserve it ... :038:

http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l500/sno-bee/TwinCobraMegaA_zpsfea43940.png (http://s1120.photobucket.com/user/sno-bee/media/TwinCobraMegaA_zpsfea43940.png.html)

:)

Hi mate - I went back and looped it again and have posted a pic of the score on one of the other posts as you suggested. If you do end up registering it - then if you could give me the links that would be great. Would love to see it.

I actually clocked it again a couple of days after I said I would but haven;t been on the net much so haven;t uploaded until now.

Thank you OOO