PDA

View Full Version : Kiosk projects

horseyboy69
3rd August 2009, 10:22 PM
A few AAers have bought the kiosks from ebay that were previously touch screen information booths for centrelink. I am curious as to what people will be doing with there's. If you feel like sharing your ideas and projects in progress please let us know.

I will simply be adding a decent set of 2.1 PC speakers, loading lots of music to the PC and adding some jukebox software and hopefully that will be that. I have thought about also adding a docking station so others can plug their ipods in and run directly off it but haven't worked out how I'm going to do that yet.

Issues with the kiosk: Firstly is the lock that comes with it. The key is a not available because it is apparently still in use or a master that they don't want out in the public, so job one is to disable the locking mechanism of the screen until you have removed and replaced the lock with your own. The old lock is really hard to get out because its hard to get a tool onto the locking nut. It's really tucked away. Has anyone got this off yet?

Adam, I can't get the wifi to connect up either. It is detecting the wifi but not connecting? That would be a great bonus to have it online wirelessly.

Well that's a start, let's see what's out there. Daics has put some photos up on the original auction thread. http://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php?t=25374&page=6
Cheers,
Ian

daics3522
3rd August 2009, 10:33 PM
Mine came with the key so dunno what happened to yours..... I have stripped the farkin heavy printer unit out of the cabinet and will also be removing the hydraulics that operated the printer....

OK..... Mine so far has got a 1 TB HDD added. It will have four or six speakers added for the sound and I am running a licensed copy of Partytime Jukebox.

I am also running a number of touchscreen pokie machines (4) which have already been installed.

Will also be running Ultrastar and MAME. The steel panel under the screen will be re-made into a 1 Player Control Panel for MAME.

I will keep you posted as further progress is made.

horseyboy69
3rd August 2009, 10:38 PM
Mine came with the key so dunno what happened to yours..... I have stripped the farkin heavy printer unit out of the cabinet and will also be removing the hydraulics that operated the printer....

OK..... Mine so far has got a 1 TB HDD added. It will have four or six speakers added for the sound and I am running a licensed copy of Partytime Jukebox.

I am also running a number of touchscreen pokie machines (4) which have already been installed.

Will also be running Ultrastar and MAME. The steel panel under the screen will be re-made into a 1 Player Control Panel for MAME.

I will keep you posted as further progress is made.

Hey Daics, sounds good mate. TB HDD holy crap that's a lot of music...:o Have you thought about the subwoofer. Do you think it will fit right down the bottom or will it have to go up the top where the printer came from?
I wonder if the keys are different from state to state? Adam, you got yours from Stafford too. Did you get a key?

AdamC
3rd August 2009, 11:07 PM
I got one key for the 2 machines .. so I will have to do something about a new lock for each.

Which version did you guys get? Both of mine have the large shelf with the keyboard built in. Schmake had the one with a little shelf and no keyboard.

I got a whole roll of paper in my first one :) - havent opened the other one yet.

I downloaded a few of those pokie programs the other day, so ill pop them in tomorrow.

Bendragon
3rd August 2009, 11:17 PM
Can I get a shot of one running ? I want to get one..and need to convince the wife :)

daics3522
3rd August 2009, 11:41 PM
Can I get a shot of one running ? I want to get one..and need to convince the wife :)

Here is a few pics of mine running "Gallop for Gold 5" Pokie Machine..... Tried for a couple of complete screenshots and a couple with the pokie scrolling.....

http://i366.photobucket.com/albums/oo104/daics3522/P8030406.jpg?t=1249306811

http://i366.photobucket.com/albums/oo104/daics3522/P8030407.jpg?t=1249306837

http://i366.photobucket.com/albums/oo104/daics3522/P8030408.jpg?t=1249306865

http://i366.photobucket.com/albums/oo104/daics3522/P8030410.jpg?t=1249306892

Davefjedi
4th August 2009, 07:35 AM
Aparently all machines are keyed alike I got 3 keys as I got 3 units
so far I have ripped the printer out (what a bitch getting at the gas strut) and given the whole new roll of thermal paper to my little miss 5 she thought all her Christmases had come at once
Have installed a Kenwood amp oldie but a goodie have purchased the av plugs and speaker connects to go on the back down near the lan in port With the front where the paper came out am going to fold up new front with usb ports and a small window to place an IR reciver for the volume up and down on the Pc
I am looking for a pci video card with AV \ Svideo out to run a tv for video clips any one have one??
I was tossing weather to use the software they had installed but even though it is a commercial one it IMHO does not match up to freebox
I may be going down to get another 4 or 5 of these units will ask about spare keys when I pick them up

Brad
4th August 2009, 08:53 AM
Once all the crap is taken out how heavy are they?

I'd love to see a photo of a complete unit against something for a comparison.

Cheers,
Brad

AdamC
4th August 2009, 09:16 AM
Brad - Heres my units against my Neo

http://www.aussiearcade.com/photopost/data/593/IMG_3795_Medium_.JPG

Brad
4th August 2009, 09:20 AM
Thanks Adam =)

Apart from the DAMN big keyboard tray, they aren't bad. Is that shelf detachable? I was looking at a jukebox/touch games machine for one?

cheers,
brad

daics3522
4th August 2009, 09:50 AM
Thanks Adam =)

Apart from the DAMN big keyboard tray, they aren't bad. Is that shelf detachable? I was looking at a jukebox/touch games machine for one?

cheers,
brad

LMAO............ I thought that style was ugly and looked like a robot with its tongue out........

Mine has the mini shelf and is a bit taller than a standard LAI Lowboy.

AdamC
4th August 2009, 10:01 AM
Ok, a question on how you guys are setting things up in these.... (ive never played with a touchscreen before)
If you are putting a jukebox program, and some pokie stuff in it - are you using some kind of menu? Or just having the windows shortcuts on the screen ? :unsure

Davefjedi
4th August 2009, 10:06 AM
Intresting Adam why did you go for the units with the big shelf??
The shelvs are detatchable 4 bolts holding them on
I am just useing the shortcuts on desktop for now I will play with a frontend maby mala when I get the software down pat

mxd
4th August 2009, 10:11 AM
here's a touch FE that I looked at, pretty easier to configure etc..

http://home.online.no/~llindga/

AdamC
4th August 2009, 10:11 AM
Thats what the guy gave me ... i dont think he had too many ready to go right away.

I wont be keeping these machines anyway .. Im setting one up for my old man as a xmas pressy , and the other is sold to our housemate for a jukebox. .. so ill probably take off the keyboard on that one if it still looks good.

Hey , thanks for that , MXD .. ill give that one a go ! :023:

stuba
4th August 2009, 02:44 PM
I bought two of these and after installing OS's I planned to use one/both as jukeboxes but I cam across a much better use. I have CBUS at home and clipsal sell their Colour Touch Screen controllers for cbus for $3K a pop. For $500 of 'homegate' software I have been able to convert them to colour touch screen controllers. given the screen is twice the size and resolution of the clipsal one then its a much better solution than the clipsal one plus you can run other apps such as music and video camera monitoring. very pleased with the purchase.

schmake
4th August 2009, 05:39 PM
I only had a quick look at mine yesterday after I got back home. Turned it on quickly to see if the trip back to Toowoomba in the trailer did any damage. Booted straight up and spotted an unsecured network somewhere at the back of my place.... the owner of 'shitown telstra' need to secure their network :laugh:

The model with the trackball and keyboard is a bit shorter than the other ones. What I did note is that they are pretty heavy. I will get rid of the printer (to shed some weight), and maybe look to move the PC towards the top as I would have liked to whack some speakers in the bottom.

I was thinking about having this on wheels, but I'm not sure if that is possible? :unsure

David_AVD
4th August 2009, 07:35 PM
If anyone local to me is going to dump the printer from their machine, I'll have it! :D

Davefjedi
4th August 2009, 08:42 PM
If anyone local to me is going to dump the printer from their machine, I'll have it! :D
I have 6 here if anyone wants the printers

daics3522
4th August 2009, 11:10 PM
I have 6 here if anyone wants the printers

I am dumping my printer too if anyone wants it............

horseyboy69
4th August 2009, 11:25 PM

David, if you are going to the meet next week I'll bring mine up for you. If anyone has a spare key, I would love a copy (If it fits??) Can you get those keys cut?

daics3522
5th August 2009, 12:16 AM
here's a touch FE that I looked at, pretty easier to configure etc..
http://home.online.no/~llindga/

I have downloaded this and it seems you can only utilise the games in it and not jukebox software or MAME.... :unsure:unsure

Also once you assign the games folder to config01 how do you access the setup screen again to configure more??

David_AVD
5th August 2009, 07:26 AM
David, if you are going to the meet next week I'll bring mine up for you.

Sounds good. I'll be there for sure! :D

AdamC
5th August 2009, 07:29 AM
How many are you after, David ?
Ill be taking one printer out .. not sure about the other yet.

David_AVD
5th August 2009, 07:30 AM
How many are you after, David ?
Ill be taking one printer out .. not sure about the other yet.

How big are they? Does anyone have a picture?

ostybeef
5th August 2009, 07:47 AM
where the hell you guys snapping these up from??
and for how much you getting them?

AdamC
5th August 2009, 07:54 AM

First talked about here .....

http://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php?t=25374

But they havent got any on ebay now :unsure

David_AVD
5th August 2009, 07:55 AM

You musta been livin' under a rock! LINK (http://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php?t=25374)

WOKA
5th August 2009, 01:37 PM
David, if I decide to keep mine you can have my printer too.. I think they are A4 thermal..

horseyboy69
5th August 2009, 05:39 PM
How big are they? Does anyone have a picture?

There is a picture of the printer on this thread. http://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php?t=25374&page=6

David_AVD
5th August 2009, 06:10 PM
There is a picture of the printer on this thread. http://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php?t=25374&page=6

Thanks for that - I must have missed that post. They look heavy!

Mr Pubstuff
5th August 2009, 07:31 PM
hey osty, im picking up 8 prob friday (altho i just seen the forecast, so it may not be friday in the ute) but may be able to add to that at 250 a piece and they are already in adelaide so no freight. :cool:
i can ask tomorrow or i can give you the guys contact number (he is the boss of the company selling them). i spoke to him today and they have been asked to remove the logo from the front of the machines (which is why they may be off ebay at present) so he asked me to make sure i did it myself. i asked him if he really thought anyone would want to keep that poxy logo anyway and he laffed, but said he had been asked to do so before selling any more.:o

AdamC
5th August 2009, 08:47 PM
Thanks for that - I must have missed that post. They look heavy!

Put my one on the scales after I pulled it out ...... 12kgs !! :blink:

David_AVD
5th August 2009, 08:49 PM
I'll happily take any that people bring to the meet. Hope I can park close, otherwise just look for the box carrying guy with the hernia! :laugh:

Davefjedi
5th August 2009, 09:00 PM
hey osty, im picking up 8 prob friday (altho i just seen the forecast, so it may not be friday in the ute)
8 in a ute good luck with that these things weigh a ton well I would say around the 150 kg mark anyway so make sure ya springs are up to it:)

daics3522
5th August 2009, 09:26 PM
I'll happily take any that people bring to the meet. Hope I can park close, otherwise just look for the box carrying guy with the hernia! :laugh:

Dont POP A POOPER VALVE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:lol:lol

Johno
6th August 2009, 05:30 PM
has anybody in adelaide got one of these they dont need and want to do a trade for my playstation 2, 120 gig hdd (copy/load games to hdd), official hdd software, network adapter, 2 controllers, dvd remote and mod chip and maybe $$ difference if that;s not enough? please pm me!

Dannymh
6th August 2009, 10:11 PM
I am making a trip to Brisbane to pick one up for a mate in 2 weeks it's just going to be a juke though

ostybeef
6th August 2009, 10:20 PM
hey osty, im picking up 8 prob friday (altho i just seen the forecast, so it may not be friday in the ute)

if all else fails i might be able to pick it up myself, let me know how you go mate