PDA

View Full Version : 3 Internal HDD Help Needed

Crafty
1st August 2009, 05:21 PM
Ok, I am computer literate but this has me stumped..and like most things it is probably something very simple.

I have 2 WD500GB HDD already installed via SATA and have just connected a 1TB Hitachi via SATA as well.

The new drive is recognised in hardware wizard but not on my computer for read/write access.

Is there something I'm missing???

any help appreciated....

Thanks In Advance
Crafty

AskJacob
1st August 2009, 05:32 PM
have you gone into disk management and formatted it yet?

:cool:

Brad
1st August 2009, 05:36 PM
have you gone into disk management and formatted it yet?

:cool:

snort :blink:

I hope he's right crafty. If not also make sure that a drive letter is assigned.

Brad

Crafty
1st August 2009, 06:41 PM
Ok thanks for the help...

I knew it would be something simple I missed and that someone here would help....

Without making me feel too much like a dill.....

It's formatting now and will take ages......:)

AskJacob
1st August 2009, 07:08 PM
:lol happens to us all sometimes.

Glad it was simple...

Cheers
Jacob

Brad
1st August 2009, 08:08 PM
Funny how many times the simple things have tripped us up. Happened to me enough =/

You should use Quick Format crafty. Takes about 30seconds

Brad

AskJacob
1st August 2009, 08:25 PM
yeah, but sometimes you can't if the drive is virgin.

I also use the full drive format as a good "soak test" for a new drive - helps confirm it is not faulty before I put stuff on it!

Cheers
Jacob

Crafty
1st August 2009, 10:49 PM
I've heard good and bad things about quick format on 1TB drives...

So did the long process, but it's done now and I have lots more space for all my back-ups....:)

elvis
2nd August 2009, 07:44 AM
Sounds like there's the usual misinformation flying around out there about disk formatting.

Quick formats are fine (and yes, you can always do them on a virgin disk). If you're really concerned about the health of your disk, and long format won't do much to help you. You're much better off getting Ultimate Boot CD (http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/) and running the proper manufacturer checks on your disk. That will check far more than a "touch sector, read sector" test from a "long format".

AskJacob
2nd August 2009, 10:34 AM
Sounds like there's the usual misinformation flying around out there about disk formatting.

Quick formats are fine (and yes, you can always do them on a virgin disk). If you're really concerned about the health of your disk, and long format won't do much to help you. You're much better off getting Ultimate Boot CD (http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/) and running the proper manufacturer checks on your disk. That will check far more than a "touch sector, read sector" test from a "long format".

<_<

Well, OK then, but I was really referring to the "bathtub curve" of hardware failure rather than the health of the disk surface. By bathtub curve, I mean the initial high failure rate that can happen with equipment - DOA, early death, followed by a plateau of good service, followed by another peak at the end of life of equipment.

The manufacturer's real tools don't do much exciting stuff either - HDD's have not allowed low level access for years (I better qualify this for my experience with consumer drives only), they will go through the motions and everything, but don't do much more than "touch sector, read sector" either, but do report a little more than windows format. Don't get me started on the sham that SMART ended up being either :rolleyes

So, I may have oversimplified my statement, and if in doing so I lead to misinformation I apologise.

Cheers
Jacob