PDA

View Full Version : Defense Command to Defender

Arcade King
7th September 2006, 09:48 PM
Welp I've finally worked it out. I bought a couple of Defense command Rev2 pcbs off jumpydoctor awhile back which i fixed up.
One of the things I wanted to do(just for the sake of doing it) is get the Defender program running on defense command.
Basically Defense command is exactly the same as defender. The bottoms boards are almost identical to the old revision defender ones like what the White Label run on. The top board combines Defenders ROM, IO and sound boards all into 1 neat little PCB.
The Rev2 has some good improvements over the Rev1 as in all the setups buttons are on the pcb, common sound amp and best of all no stupid molex plugs.
Hardest part was working out the rom order. The Rev2 defense command which I've never seen before uses all (8) 4k 2732 while The older Rev1 boards use 3 2532 and 7 2716s exactly the same as what the Defender White Label is. When you join the Rev1 defense command roms in the right order they match the Rev2s perfectly.
Using the MAME source I was able to work out rom order and then join the necessary roms to work on the Rev2 board.
Welp anyway it worked and I'm pretty damn pleased with myself. Only problem i encountered was all the player buttons were stuck down except ADV, AUTO, HSR, coin and plr starts. Was a simple mod of grounding a pin on a 74ls240 to enable the chip again. For some reason with the defender code it messed this circuit up..weird.
Pic one is the older Rev1 pcb belonging to Tom, Pic 2-4 is my Rev2 running defender.
I do have a original Red label defender board I was going to use in a dedicated cab in the works but think I'll use this little beauty instead :)

UPDATE
Here are the rom files. Defender on Defense HW.zip (http://www.aussiearcade.com/uploads/Defender on Defense HW.zip)

buzzbox
7th September 2006, 10:09 PM
Holy Crap !!! Well Done !! :)

StevOz
7th September 2006, 10:16 PM
Congrats on getting it all up and running, you have my envy, best game ever IMO.:cool:

The Pinny Parlour
7th September 2006, 10:29 PM
Well done Trav. :)

4_ur_amusement
7th September 2006, 10:58 PM
i have one of those boards in a tatio its never been 100%

Arcade King
8th September 2006, 06:21 AM
Just edited my post to correct some errors. its actually a Revision 2 not mk2 lol.

i have one of those boards in a tatio its never been 100%

I find 99% of the time its the 4116 rams which cause the problem. My board can me very flakey at times and its due to the very poor quality single wipe sockets they used for these rams back in 1853. I can preactically just pull the rams out of the sockets with my fingers with little effort. If you move the board I get graphic glitches. There like 24 sockets to replace so its on the "to do " list but on my board ive narrowed it down to about 2 realy bad sockets.

Stevo
8th September 2006, 10:11 AM
Well done

:)

andykmv
17th May 2009, 07:03 PM
Whatdayaknow! It turns out i have a set of the Revision 1 Defense Command PCBs! It was lookin a bit lonely in defense command world for a while there. Have not yet found any info on these board sets though.

Any clues on where to look for schematics or other info (I have scrounged a lot of Defender stuff but still looking for Defense Comand stuff.) ? And any photos or details of the taito defense command cabs anywhere ?

Arcade King
17th May 2009, 08:11 PM
Only things I could find are attached, I haven't really working on a revision 1 before.

defense-command.pdf (http://aussiearcade.com/uploads/defense-command.pdf)

VectorGlow
18th May 2009, 12:46 AM
Just found the attached pinoout plus info for Defence Command on my PCB. Have had it for ages and forgot about it, can't even remember where I got it from.

Enjoy. :)

andykmv
18th May 2009, 07:15 AM
Thanks for the extra info ! A few more weeks prep and i'll be ready to fire it up :{)

necroscope
20th December 2011, 08:59 AM
Anybody with one of these PCBs interested in having this done give me a yell.

I know it's a long time ago trav but i just got a revision b working and was wondering if you still had the rom files you made up to convert to defender?

cheers ben.

visy
20th December 2011, 10:02 AM
Never played defence command. Is it much different from Defender?

necroscope
20th December 2011, 10:31 AM
Never played defence command. Is it much different from Defender?
Pretty well identical it contains around 85% defender code according to the lawsuit filed by williams against artic in the 80's bit of a write-up here.http://www.arcade-history.com/?n=defense-command&page=detail&id=615
the only differences i can tell are some colours and titlescreens ect.

Arcade King
22nd December 2011, 05:02 PM
sorry for the late reply. Will try and dig them up over the weekend for you.

necroscope
22nd December 2011, 05:06 PM
sorry for the late reply. Will try and dig them up over the weekend for you.

Thanks Trav,no hurry mate it's xmas:) awesome that you still have them after all this time too :cool:

Arcade King
23rd December 2011, 06:32 AM
Here you go mate just found them. I still have my PCB in my Defender cab so if you need help with rom positions let me know I can pull it out (hasn't been used in years)

necroscope
23rd December 2011, 08:03 AM
Thanks trav will have a look at it tonite.

necroscope
30th December 2011, 04:13 PM
Here you go mate just found them. I still have my PCB in my Defender cab so if you need help with rom positions let me know I can pull it out (hasn't been used in years)

Just got around to this last night,but my revb board only has 8 roms :unsure The file has 10 roms,so do i have a different version or am i missing something obvious,any help would be appreciated trav.

BoardMan
11th September 2012, 09:20 PM
Just got around to this last night,but my revb board only has 8 roms :unsure The file has 10 roms,so do i have a different version or am i missing something obvious,any help would be appreciated trav.

I also have the 8 ROM Defense Commander top board. Any more news on the 8 ROM conversion?

I bought my defense commander for $22.50 and spent about $15 repairing it. ($11 was the bloody audio amp!)
I'd love to now make it DEFENDER.

necroscope
12th September 2012, 08:58 AM
I also have the 8 ROM Defense Commander top board. Any more news on the 8 ROM conversion?

I bought my defense commander for $22.50 and spent about $15 repairing it. ($11 was the bloody audio amp!)

Small world hey.I just sold my pcb to a guy in qld for $22.50..I only ever wired it up to test the game was working in attract mode,If i could have figured how to convert it to defender i would of made a full harness for it but i lost intrest and then went through one of my i have too much shit building up stages so onto ebay it went.sorry about the amp mate i had no-idea it was not working,Hope you work out how to get it running defender.

BoardMan
12th September 2012, 05:15 PM
Small world hey.I just sold my pcb to a guy in qld for $22.50..I only ever wired it up to test the game was working in attract mode,If i could have figured how to convert it to defender i would of made a full harness for it but i lost intrest and then went through one of my i have too much shit building up stages so onto ebay it went.sorry about the amp mate i had no-idea it was not working,Hope you work out how to get it running defender.

Did it have a split in the battery holder? Sounds like you sold it to me, I'm in Qld. That sounds exactly like the description in the auction.
No hard feelings about the amp. I could have got one for $4 but I couldn't wait 2 weeks to get it.
I glued a metal bracket around the battery holder, replaced 3 x 4049 chips to get the inputs working and replaced the audio amp, volume pot and all the electos just to be safe.
Works like a charm now!

Arcade King
12th September 2012, 05:28 PM

I don't have the Rev 1 board so unfortunately I never got around to working it out. As long as you can work out the rom locations I bet it wouldn't be too hard.

necroscope
12th September 2012, 05:42 PM
Did it have a split in the battery holder? Sounds like you sold it to me, I'm in Qld. That sounds exactly like the description in the auction.
No hard feelings about the amp. I could have got one for $4 but I couldn't wait 2 weeks to get it.
I glued a metal bracket around the battery holder, replaced 3 x 4049 chips to get the inputs working and replaced the audio amp, volume pot and all the electos just to be safe.
Works like a charm now!

Yep i described it like that in the auction,at least that way some idiot didnt buy it and give me negative feedback when it never worked with his jamma harness,way i figured was it was running in attract mode and that is half the battle,really glad it is up and running properly for you and hope you get defender running on it.Might be an idea to back those roms up to just incase they arnt dumped and only AK's revision is dumped.

Arcade King
10th December 2014, 04:04 PM
Update
I've been asked about this so many times over the years I've just added the Rom's to this thread.
I can't remember the specifics of this mod or the rom order but DaveB now owns this PCB so he may be able to help.

dav000616
10th December 2014, 05:18 PM
Thanks Trav, from what i read in the thread it seems to be a xmas request.