PDA

View Full Version : Chicago Coin Riviera

David_AVD
30th July 2009, 09:44 PM
Well, I got an EM pinball today from a fellow AA member. It's a 1973 Riviera made by Chicago Coin. There's lots of work to do on it. I've put some before pictures in my gallery (http://www.aussiearcade.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=596).

I've spent a couple of hours on it tonight, removing the playfield, relay board, chimes, front door and everything electrical from the base. I've also removed the plastics for cleaning.

The Masonite floor is damaged towards the front so I'll see if I can replace that first. There's some other box wood damage, but that should be fairly easily repaired.

I haven't even looked closely at the backbox yet. I'm sure it will need plenty of TLC but that will have to wait until I get the chassis sorted out.

I don't have a specific time frame in mind to finish this project but I'm sure it will scrub up ok.

Fish Tales
30th July 2009, 09:55 PM
BG is nice Dave. Goodluck with the resto.
:cool:

arcadus
30th July 2009, 10:26 PM
Good one David! Bit of work there and a four player too.
Best to wipe pelican poo off first ;)

AskJacob
30th July 2009, 10:52 PM
Cool David, that will keep you busy.

Love the backglass!

the old wood filler in the saucer trick eh? what the hell!

Cheers
Jacob

Arcade King
31st July 2009, 06:17 AM
wheres the pics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

David_AVD
31st July 2009, 07:08 AM
wheres the pics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In the gallery (http://www.aussiearcade.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=596)doofus! :D

Foot
31st July 2009, 08:52 AM
Just a little bit of work to do :D Should be fun

Might have to put an EM on the to get list (when I finish the ones I have :b)

stuba
31st July 2009, 09:10 AM
good one david ;)

looking forward to seeing this one come back to life :D

chicago coin best known for their EM gun games and bowlers but produced plenty of pinballs as well. they went bust in 1977 selling their remaining assets to Stern but Stern electronics (not stern pinball). Stern electronics was wound up in 1984.
Parts would be tough for this one if you didn't know somebody with lots of CC parts ;););)

will follow with interest. also note that Travis and Dylan are EM Techs now too so plenty of help around as well :laugh:

David_AVD
2nd August 2009, 09:34 PM
I've cleaned all of the relay and stepper contacts on the "base board". There's a couple of broken metal wipers on the "Bonus Score" stepper, but I'm hoping Stuba may have something in his stash I can use to repair that. If not, I reckon I could solder a new piece from a spare leaf switch onto the broken arm with acceptable results.

To clean the relay contacts (and stepper wipers), I used strips cut from a ScotchBrite type pad. I think the key here is not to go to in too hard and risk damaging the contact plating. You can scrub the copper PCB tracks on the steppers until they're bright without too much fear of damage. Just don't bend the contacts too far from their normal position, otherwise they may lose their tension.

I've only taken a quick look at the head box so far and given it a bit of a clean out. Everything appears intact, but I imagine that the contacts will all need cleaning. The various mechanisms will most likely need cleaning and lubricating.

This machine came with original manual and diagrams as well as various score and instruction cards. The instruction card was in a bad way and fell apart when I removed it from the apron. I scanned all cards, sent them to Peter (Inkochinto) and he's already emailed me the reproductions. How good is that!

Since the manual is in near perfect condition and the IPDB doesn't seem to have a copy, I'll have a go at scanning it in due course. Scanning the schematic won't be easy due to the sheet size however.

Anyway, I'll update this thread as I go and upload more pictures to the gallery.

Foot
2nd August 2009, 09:42 PM
Any progress is good progress, keep the updates coming David. Peter is on the ball thats for sure.

stuba
3rd August 2009, 10:33 AM
, but I'm hoping Stuba may have something in his stash I can use to repair that.

no probs, plenty of spare wipers, the trick is getting the length and tension right. I'm sure we can find something though. :)

This machine came with original manual and diagrams as well as various score and instruction cards. The instruction card was in a bad way and fell apart when I removed it from the apron. I scanned all cards, sent them to Peter (Inkochinto) and he's already emailed me the reproductions. How good is that!

Since the manual is in near perfect condition and the IPDB doesn't seem to have a copy, I'll have a go at scanning it in due course. Scanning the schematic won't be easy due to the sheet size however.

Fantastic that you have thought to add the paperwork to Peters and IPDB resources for others to use. :023:

I have had sucess scanning large sheet schematics bit by bit and using photoshop to join them together. A bit slow but worth the while to get an electronic version of these when they are rare (or otherwise non-existent).

dj10555
3rd August 2009, 11:18 AM
My local MBE store has a scanner big enough for building plans/schematics and charges about $5-$6 a scan. I have been charged about $20/scan from other companies.

goodolddays
3rd August 2009, 12:31 PM
Congrats on your EM purchase David .
Looks like quite a big project you've got yourself there .
Will be interested to watch your progress
Cheers
Dave

Inkochnito
4th August 2009, 05:54 AM

Anyway, I'll update this thread as I go and upload more pictures to the gallery.

The schematic should not be a problem.
I've done the schematic for Williams Jackpot from A4 scans.
Stitched them all together to make 1 big image.
I can do this for you if you like.
There has to be a 5 cm overlap on each scan to make them fit together.
High res, gray scale and all pages on the same scale (no shrinking or enlargement).

Peter
www.inkochnito.nl

David_AVD
4th August 2009, 10:14 PM
I've just finished scanning and joining the schematic together. It's about 30MB as a png, 40MB as a gif or tif and about 10MB as a jpg. Seems big but then again it's a huge piece of paper!

rod71
4th August 2009, 10:40 PM
I've just finished scanning and joining the schematic together. It's about 30MB as a png, 40MB as a gif or tif and about 10MB as a jpg. Seems big but then again it's a huge piece of paper!

Can you convert it to PDF?

David_AVD
5th August 2009, 07:25 AM
I had one go at that but it truncated the page size. Will have another go tonight.

stuba
5th August 2009, 08:51 AM
I leave mine as high res jpg's. given the fact you can get 1 gig on a fingernail these days its not a big deal and believe me that you need to zoom right in sometimes...

if you can actually understand them <_<

David_AVD
12th August 2009, 04:53 PM
I repaired the bonus score stepper unit today. The stepper had two damaged contact fingers. The left one had been repaired before and the middle had the contact tip broken off.

Stuba had a few spares (like the right one), so I was able to just replace the longer (badly soldered) one and make a new short one by carefully cutting down and overlap soldering a good long one.

The diagram in the manual came in handy to line all the fingers up. You also have to make sure you take note of where everything goes in the stack of fingers. On this stepper, the fingers were in groups of two (one long and one short) with a insulating washer in between each set.

http://www.aussiearcade.com/photopost/data/596/Stepper_Contacts.jpg

David_AVD
17th August 2009, 10:47 AM
Last night I connected all the wiring back up and gave it a look over to make sure there were no gross shorts likely to make it go bang. I then switched it on and was greeted by a cycling noise wouldn't stop.

A quick look at the mangled coin door revealed that the tilt switch was mashed together. Once I straightened that out and fired it up again, the cycling stopped after a few seconds, but then a very loud buzz emitted from the coin door area. I tracked that down to the coin lockout solenoid. It seems ok electrically, but probably is being stopped from engaging fully because of the mangled door. A cotton wool tip jammed in there (for now) reduced it to a low hum.

Pressing the start button had no effect. I thought for a moment then realised I would need to push some credits onto it. A few taps of the coin micro switch brought forth more clanking and then pressing start set the reset process off. Most of the digits reset, but some are either not moving or jammed on. I left it on for a minute and saw that some parts of the scores did advance when various play field switches were triggered.

My attention then turned to why the score reels were jamming on. Since I hadn't seen to the two stepper units (one a double-decker type) in the head box yet, I carefully cleaned them and the various relays. The relays still need a couple of parts as the "actuator card" (that pulls the contacts) is badly cracked on one.

I then pulled one of the score reel units out. The contact PCB & wiper as well as the leaf switch are easy enough to clean and check. I removed the plastic reel as there's a lot of grime on all of them. By trial and error, I found that a citrus cleaner ("Orange Power" I think) and warm water worked the best at getting rid of the greasy coating. The one reel I've done looks like new now!

Anyway, that's as far as I got, as I needed some very light grease to lubricate the reel stepper arm and didn't have any at home. I figure I only want to pull each reel out once as there's 16 of the buggers!

Stay tuned for the next exciting (not) episode!

stuba
17th August 2009, 11:04 AM
nice one. you are not far away now. congrats to AA's newest Em tech :)

David_AVD
17th August 2009, 11:08 AM
Might have to do a (minor) parts raid at your shed when I pick up the stuff from the meet. ;)

stuba
17th August 2009, 11:28 AM
Might have to do a (minor) parts raid at your shed when I pick up the stuff from the meet. ;)

No probs ;)

7020gary
18th August 2009, 02:20 PM
well done on your restore, i have a sound stage that needs one too, will give it a go one day

David_AVD
30th August 2009, 05:55 PM
Over the last week or so I've been working my way through cleaning and lubricating the score reel units. Only a one set (of 4) left to do now. I also have some tinkering to do to make all the reels line up nicely.

I found that some of the score reels are being jammed on (after reset) by something to do with the play field scoring relays. After checking (and adjusting) a lot of them, only one is still jammed. There's some other damage (caused by previous bodged repairs) that I need to sort out too. Hopefully that will clear the remaining faults.

dezbaz
30th August 2009, 06:17 PM
Good ambitious resto, what I love to see, good 1 David