Number of Simultaneous Players: 1
Maximum number of Players: 2
Gameplay: Alternating
Control Panel Layout: Single Player Ambidextrous
Controls:
Joystick: 4-way (up, down, left, right)
Buttons: 2
Sound: Amplified Mono (one channel)

As the story goes, three years have passed since this game's prequel. Now the Knight Arthur must fight against the true king of the Demon World, Lucifer, who has taken many souls including that of Arthur's beloved Princess Prin Prin.
The game play is very similar to Ghosts 'n Goblins, but there are new power-ups such as a Golden Armor that allows Arthur to take full advantage of his weapons. Additionally, unlike in Ghosts 'n Goblins, Arthur can fire his weapons up and, while jumping, fire them down as well.(http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?letter=&game_id=7939)

Games are picked through a random generator from the list compiled in the MGL 9 thread. To have your games included in the pick you need to submit a score. You can add to this list at any time.
Remember to make your score valid you need to post your score in the subject line and don't forget your screen shot, any troubles let me know.
Mid week bonus of 10 MGL points are awarded to the highest submitted score as at Midnight Wednesday. The highest submitted score at the end of the MGL week will receive 100 MGL points.
Your scores need to be in by next Monday 3rd of August BY 8PM (NSW daylight savings time).
Thought I would put it up early as its the first game DKong

kane
27th July 2009, 06:33 PM
Ok, I'll start this off. My first try, got up to the Flame Boss guy, 39700.

EDIT: New score 59,900. Must have done 10 or more games in the 50k-55k range, I really hit a wall there. Superb game though, fond memories of playing it as a kid on the Sega Master System.

AdamC
27th July 2009, 06:37 PM
Ok, I'll start this off. My first try, got up to the Flame Boss guy, 39700.

No bonus points for first score !!! :lol

Ill have a thrash at this later ... ;)

RaMpAgE
27th July 2009, 07:05 PM
I'll be watching this closely as I have been giving this a bashing on my generic cab.

Can't remember exactly the number but I'm around 300000 for an average score.

One of my fav's for sure.

Foot
27th July 2009, 07:29 PM
I'll be watching this closely as I have been giving this a bashing on my generic cab.

Can't remember exactly the number but I'm around 300000 for an average score.

One of my fav's for sure.

I just had a quick game and only got 3000 :lol

SectionZ
27th July 2009, 08:36 PM
I need more than 2 weeks for this one :laugh:

sairuk
27th July 2009, 11:06 PM
managed ~10460 3rd shot, furthest i've managed to get in either of the games ever.

Rev
28th July 2009, 12:14 AM
7,900 I think so far, Ghost n Goblins always sh1tted me on the C64 grrr :D

To have your games included in the pick you need to submit a score. You can add to this list at any time.

"Streaking" LOL

Brad
28th July 2009, 08:36 AM
Damn I was bad at the original...the sequel is a killer :o

brad

DKong
29th July 2009, 12:05 PM
I officially suck at Ghouls 'n Ghosts and Ghost and Goblins :laugh:

I keep getting stuck in movement controls, I think this game would be better with a 4-way.

Remember to make your score valid
Score must be in title of post and a screen shot added.

Mikie
29th July 2009, 03:18 PM
A nice game to even watch other's play, great artwork, when I get a chance will hava go. Its very hard game for me.

fringert
29th July 2009, 03:37 PM
A nice game to even watch other's play, great artwork, when I get a chance will hava go. Its very hard game for me.

patience grasshopper! practice,practice & more practice, and you'll have ghouls n ghosts saving mikie is too good for me!

DKong
29th July 2009, 06:43 PM
I just had a quick game and only got 3000 :lol

:lol. I'm with you my first 10 games were under 10,000
Played a bit tonight, and finally worked out what the gold suit does (hold down fire power to release a big firepower, made it to the first boss ( after ten games or so), and killed him first time, woo hoo then these bouncing head turtle things sort of tricked me<_< and then the platforms that disappear with no warning double<_<
Looks like a real memory game from what I gather so far, will stick at it, and loved beating the first boss ( Furthest I have ever got with this game).
Graphics and subtle humor make this game a classic, reminds a bit of Metal Slug for some reason.

Good to see the MGL back. Nothing better than going back to the root of Arcade games and actually playing them , and get those scores rolling in.
Want to see this 300,000 plus score :o

Very artistic especially for 1988, it is a 4-way joystick game so you maybe having the same problems as me getting stuck in movements (using an 8-way), especially as the landscape goes on degree's and I tend to push towards the degree, instead of left/right.

AdamC
29th July 2009, 07:01 PM
I need a time machine so I can jump into next week.

Ive never been any good at this game. <_<

DKong
29th July 2009, 07:52 PM
I need a time machine so I can jump into next week.

Ive never been any good at this game. <_<

Get into it and words of wisdom from the bible of AA

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd199/DKongAA/churchsign_htfu.jpg
:lol

Time to work this game AdamC :p

wingtipvortex
29th July 2009, 07:57 PM
Get into it and words of wisdom from the bible of AA

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd199/DKongAA/churchsign_htfu.jpg
:lol

Time to work this game AdamC :p
Thats classic:laugh:

RaMpAgE
29th July 2009, 08:15 PM
Want to see this 300,000 plus score

You'll have to make a trip north so I can teach you the ways of the force.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=AU&hl=en-GB&v=qgOtZohj69Y&feature=PlayList&p=C30E809B18C1DCBB&index=0

This is how I got my training.

sairuk
29th July 2009, 08:21 PM
slowly but surely making it further through this game. 19k was well before the furthest i've managed. Game can be played somewhat cheaply for score, not the way i'm trying to play. Made it up to the first snake looking thing with the fire bats so far.

update: bit more of a score, not much though. Few cheap moments imo in there.
update: lil more
update: lil more again, made it up to the second boss, hell hound type thing
update: woo finally broke 30k, smashed it too, managed to actually carry the bloody gold armor through the first level for the first time too =)

MamePatrol
29th July 2009, 08:53 PM
This would have been a mad money spinner back in the day...................
So damn hard yall.................makes me wanna ::067:

DKong
29th July 2009, 09:18 PM
You'll have to make a trip north so I can teach you the ways of the force.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=AU&hl=en-GB&v=qgOtZohj69Y&feature=PlayList&p=C30E809B18C1DCBB&index=0

This is how I got my training.

Well after watching those vids it will take time to learn the force, but yeah take you up on that if I ever make it north!
What is that new saying around here " Patience is Virtue ", stick to this game and it reaps rewards, they don't make them like this anymore:p

This would have been a mad money spinner back in the day...................
So damn hard yall.................makes me wanna ::067:

not so forgiving like console platformers's :laugh:

sairuk
29th July 2009, 10:15 PM

what kind of evil bastards developed this game :o

Mikie
29th July 2009, 11:12 PM
so damned hard, took me like 20 goes to get this far, -lol

DKong
30th July 2009, 12:50 AM
so damned hard, took me like 20 goes to get this far, -lol

Your with me on this one, nothing like a challenge ;)

what kind of evil bastards developed this game :o

Agree +2

DKong
30th July 2009, 01:47 AM
Midweek points go to KANE with a score of 39,700.
10 bonus points will be added to your score this week.
Shows we are not so good at the old games, much work to be done lads:p

wingtipvortex
30th July 2009, 01:57 AM
Well done Kane, I couldn't manage 10K:lol Some good gaming there mate!
300K....i wanna see it?:D

kane
30th July 2009, 06:02 AM
Well done Kane, I couldn't manage 10K:lol Some good gaming there mate!
300K....i wanna see it?:D

I'm a bit shocked actually, I got that score on my very first try, about 10 minutes after DKong posted the game.

I have been on the lookout for a PCB for this game if anyone wants to sell or if they know of one...

Brad
30th July 2009, 06:43 AM
I don't have time during the week to play so it's only weekends for me.

Brad

Mikie
30th July 2009, 09:42 AM
well done kane, your brain must be wired for this one!
a ghosts and goblins pcb would be nice too

fringert, you're right about patience, its infuriating to die so cheaply and start again only to make an even worse mistake

dkong, damned if this game won't let me get at least a bit further! -lol

MamePatrol
30th July 2009, 02:10 PM
24,000 so far................

http://i759.photobucket.com/albums/xx238/mamepatrol/High%20Scores/0001.png

sairuk
30th July 2009, 06:11 PM
Midweek points go to KANE with a score of 39,700.

congrats lad, crazy stuff

kane
30th July 2009, 06:44 PM
Just realised something DKong, in the first post you have the rom listed as "Rom: (US set)" which is ghoulsu.zip. I've been using the ghouls.zip which is the (World Set).
Most games it probably wouldn't matter, but I had a go at the US set and it is much easier than the World set, mainly because you start from where you die rather than returning to the last checkpoint.

Can you confirm which one we should be using? I would have thought we should be using the World set rather than a clone rom, agreed?

MamePatrol
30th July 2009, 08:32 PM
Your right kane, the world set is harder.......
I was kinda glad it was the US set we were using......

wingtipvortex
30th July 2009, 09:29 PM
Usally what we do is play the set stipulated, whether its jap set, us set and so on.
As DK has said US, i would think this is the one we play.

I dont think id like it any harder than it is:laugh: Im shit at this one already:lol

But, its up to the man of course:cool:

fringert
30th July 2009, 10:35 PM
32700 that fire jumper thingo is driving me nuts!!!!:realmad:

DKong
31st July 2009, 10:16 AM
Usally what we do is play the set stipulated, whether its jap set, us set and so on.
As DK has said US, i would think this is the one we play.

I dont think id like it any harder than it is:laugh: Im shit at this one already:lol

But, its up to the man of course:cool:

Yep, play the set stated, as Kane wasn't sure (and played the Harder set) he will still get the midweek points.

Mikie
31st July 2009, 10:30 AM
-lol, im on the world set, go kane

fringert, im struggling to carry the amour to the devil on the bones stage 2 :redface

sairuk
31st July 2009, 03:59 PM
Yep, play the set stated, as Kane wasn't sure (and played the Harder set) he will still get the midweek points.

might be worth posting the rom filename in the future so there is no confusion.

Mikie
31st July 2009, 04:47 PM
Heres my score .... im not playing this game any more :lol

http://www.aussiearcade.com/photopost/data/597/GnG.png

that's ghosts and goblins adam :laugh:

the us version is also very generous giving back armor
, still, only got this far ;)

sairuk
31st July 2009, 05:38 PM
the us version is also very generous giving back armor

bloody yanks are soft ;)

AdamC
31st July 2009, 07:03 PM
So I suck at both versions ? lol

fringert
31st July 2009, 10:30 PM
-lol, im on the world set, go kane

fringert, im struggling to carry the amour to the devil on the bones stage 2 :redface

patience "wax on wax off" :)

DKong
31st July 2009, 10:47 PM
Remember to post your score in the title of the "score post" and add your screenshot.
Also update your previous score posted if you get a better one. You will have to hit advanced to edit your title score. :)

Rev
31st July 2009, 11:55 PM
A shit score, but I'm banging my head against the wall trying to get far in this.

Foot
1st August 2009, 07:22 AM
Yea I'm on fire now....

Fell in twice in the same spot, short memory must have shooorrrt memory

Score: 11700

Brad
1st August 2009, 05:00 PM
LOL Oils RUle.

**** this game is hard. Best score so far is 18500. It ****ing sucks mightily.

Brad

stu
1st August 2009, 05:11 PM
Both these games are awesome :)

Foot
1st August 2009, 05:26 PM
LOL Oils RUle.

**** this game is hard. Best score so far is 18500. It ****ing sucks mightily.

Brad

:lol Amen Brother!

sairuk
1st August 2009, 05:59 PM
Both these games are awesome :)

Yeh, I can feel the old 2D platformer addictions kicking back in. Like an old friend .. lol

Just cracked into the 3rd level, was a bit slow on the uptake moving to the right mid level, shame.

Mikie
1st August 2009, 11:01 PM
the small sword/dagger seems to help a bit but couldn't carry the gold armour to the fire beast stage 2.

i had a sneek peek at the cloud stage, omg, that's ridiculously hard! -lol

SectionZ
2nd August 2009, 12:27 PM
Yeah this game is hard, and you have to complete it twice to defeat it!

I prefer Ghosts 'n' Goblins over this anyday.

Rat
2nd August 2009, 12:41 PM
They really missed the mark with the difficulty curve in this game, far too hard. Turns it from a skill game into a memory game. Ghosts and Goblins had it just right, but this game is so tough it discourages me from trying, pity as I really like the graphics.

I will post this score now as I might not play again.

Brad
2nd August 2009, 03:58 PM
Well I gave up on this horrible game this morning. Seriously they ****ed this one up big time. I went to get my score from the mame machine only to find that the PC has died on me. I'm kinda bummed and may not bother trying to revive it for the snap atm. Only got something like 19,000 anyway:cry

brad

sairuk
2nd August 2009, 04:38 PM
Well I gave up on this horrible game this morning. Seriously they ****ed this one up big time. I went to get my score from the mame machine only to find that the PC has died on me. I'm kinda bummed and may not bother trying to revive it for the snap atm. Only got something like 19,000 anyway:cry

brad

ahh bugger, thats a damn shame. :( fix it up for the next round.

wingtipvortex
2nd August 2009, 04:45 PM
Yep, is annoyingly hard. Havn't got much more than 10k yet, but im finding it hard to get into.

MamePatrol
2nd August 2009, 05:21 PM
Thats it, no more........

I'ts not that i didn't like it.......... It just felt like i was playing game after game, just for the MGL... I doubt i will jump back on this for a while...

I found it just too hard to enjoy...

http://i759.photobucket.com/albums/xx238/mamepatrol/High%20Scores/0007.png

Brad
2nd August 2009, 05:24 PM
Thats it, no more........

I found it just too hard to enjoy...

Yep, thats what I found. Hated the game but dammit the HDD of my mame box is ratshit after some diagnosis. I can't complain, it's been rock solid for almost 7 years but bloody bad timing. Now I have to build a new one. Fortunately I have an image of my setup but still a pain.

Brad

Shock_And_Awe
2nd August 2009, 05:26 PM
I really like this game but not as good as Ghosts n Goblins. Ryan / LOTR4U and I both finished this game earlier in the year but on lots of credits!
Like so many games, this is really frustrating to play with Sanwa joysticks - not really designed for these games I think.
I'm not sure if I will get an opportunity to play many games in this MGL but anyway here's week 1 done for me.
Just thought I'd sneak in a shot of when we both finished the game :D

Jed
2nd August 2009, 07:59 PM
I tend to agree with most, this game is a pale followup to the classicfantastic Ghosts and Goblins which I still love, nowhere near as fun or the same quality of levels in this game.

Put in 3 sessions, hated the first session, started getting into it the 2nd session, went all out for the third, gave up now though.

Using Sanwa's is fine as long as you switch them to 4-way, 8 way is a nightmare with this game it's like you get your foot stuck in something a lot of the time :realmad:

BTW where is Mr 'I get 300k for an average game' or does he just want to dump the score last minute Billy Mitchell style :laugh:

Game on.

Rat
2nd August 2009, 08:05 PM
Blahhh

Foot
2nd August 2009, 08:19 PM
Anyone who has more than 20K has done a great job, well done guys!

AdamC
2nd August 2009, 08:34 PM
http://www.aussiearcade.com/photopost/data/597/0000.png

Im worse at this version !

wingtipvortex
2nd August 2009, 08:54 PM
Pfftt.......Rampage, if you can "average" 300k on this.......you ARE the king:sm1:

RaMpAgE
2nd August 2009, 11:02 PM
BTW where is Mr 'I get 300k for an average game' or does he just want to dump the score last minute Billy Mitchell style

Geeez guys I'm not even entering the comp.

Have not played it for about 3 months, the board is out of the cab as I sold it.

So now I'll load it up on the x-box and see how I go since I'm getting some grief.

:rolleyes

Stand bye!:p

wingtipvortex
2nd August 2009, 11:38 PM
Geeez guys I'm not even entering the comp.

Have not played it for about 3 months, the board is out of the cab as I sold it.

So now I'll load it up on the x-box and see how I go since I'm getting some grief.

:rolleyes

Stand bye!:p
Hey man, i wasnt calling you out, im just impressed at that mammoth score.....its a hard game for sure!

But, id like to see some game play on this:p

Rat
3rd August 2009, 06:48 AM
There is one score of 500k that was recorded 7 years ago at MARP, and a couple of 400k.

But there are no official scores at twingalaxies, if I could average 300k I would be going for a world record for sure.

Shock_And_Awe
3rd August 2009, 08:14 AM
Using Sanwa's is fine as long as you switch them to 4-way, 8 way is a nightmare with this game it's like you get your foot stuck in something a lot of the time :realmad:

I can't switch my Sanwa's over. I'm sure I have seen some Sanwa's that have an adaptor type plate that you turn. I should swap these jpysticks over because it is very frustrating. The worst part is a section when you ride on those tongues - you just can't get the joystick to do what you want :realmad:

Jed
3rd August 2009, 10:32 AM
I can't switch my Sanwa's over. I'm sure I have seen some Sanwa's that have an adaptor type plate that you turn. I should swap these jpysticks over because it is very frustrating. The worst part is a section when you ride on those tongues - you just can't get the joystick to do what you want :realmad:

Definitely. I only recently bought a pair of Sanwa's to replace my generic joysticks and what a difference - a lot more precise. Mine have that circular plate that you basically rotate to switch from 8-way to 4-way, which is real handy for the 4-way games.

DKong
3rd August 2009, 04:10 PM
Good to see some old MGL'ers back and some new ones too. :)

I think I'm giving up on this one 17,200 has been my best score.

Mikie
3rd August 2009, 05:37 PM
is mgl 9 over or is there an hour to go?

Well done dkong, we'll after giving it a rest for a while, came home and made it to stage 3 !

kane
3rd August 2009, 06:26 PM
People, make sure you only have ONE post in this thread with your score and screenshot, or DKong will likely include only your first score, Mikie I think you have 3 or 4 up?
Read the rules for instuctions on how to edit your posts accordingly.

Thanks.
Kane, unofficial MGL nitpicker...

DKong
3rd August 2009, 06:40 PM
People, make sure you only have ONE post in this thread with your score and screenshot, or DKong will likely include only your first score, Mikie I think you have 3 or 4 up?

Thanks.

Yes thanks for reminding people of this. It makes it so much easier to work out who scored what. You can always add a post with your new score in the main text, but update your original score in the title section of your original score post.

is mgl 9 over or is there an hour to go?

Well done dkong, we'll after giving it a rest for a while, came home and made it to stage 3 !

Game finishes 8pm AEST, so just over an hour to go :)

Mikie
3rd August 2009, 08:14 PM
ah sorry, done, but will i get kaned by the kong? -:)

DKong
3rd August 2009, 09:05 PM
Congratulations to MamePatrol for winning this game, and well done to kane for taking out the midweek points.
Looks like we have quite a few players for this tournament :)

MGL - T9
Game 1 Results

Game 1 is officially over

Thanks to those who participated and submitted scores

Results for Game 1: Ghouls 'n Ghosts (US set)

MamePatrol now has the Highscore for this game with a score of 94,100

1. Mame Patrol 94,100
100 points

2. Jammasized 78,000
82 points

3. SectionZ 66,300
70 points

4. Shock_And_Awe 65,500
69 points

5. kane 59,900
74 points (64 + 10 midweek bonus points

6. sairuk 40,800
43 points

7. Rat 32,700
35 points

8. Mikie 29,400
31 points

9.DKong 17,200
18 points

10. Foot 11,700
12 points

11. wingtipvortex 10,100
11 points

12. AdamC 9,400
10 points

Scoreboard ("]Leaderboard[/URL] starts next round :) other wise look above.

[URL="http://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php?t=13631) has been updated

Rat
4th August 2009, 09:25 AM

Thanks.

I tried for ages to edit my score using the advanced edit option. I have done this successfully in the past, but this time I kept getting a database error from the website.

Mikie
4th August 2009, 10:12 AM
congrats mamepatrol and well done everyone, need real staying strength to continue ghouls & ghosts !

DKong
4th August 2009, 03:49 PM
I tried for ages to edit my score using the advanced edit option. I have done this successfully in the past, but this time I kept getting a database error from the website.

Looking into it.

kane
4th August 2009, 04:09 PM
Advanced Edit worked fine for me yesterday.

DKong
4th August 2009, 05:07 PM
Advanced Edit worked fine for me yesterday.

Worked for me as well, seems to be working for some people and not others. Maybe a post count thing :unsure