PDA

View Full Version : Gamebox hard disk cloning

digstar
26th July 2009, 04:28 AM
:cryHi

I'm new to this forum and I have found some good info. I have a GameBox 200 in 1 that uses a hard disk and the disk is starting to die!! Sometimes makes strange noises. I am trying to clone the hard disk but to no avail. I have tried Ghost, HDClone and Winhex softwares. I would also like to add a few more games to the hard drive. Anybody got some advice?

sairuk
26th July 2009, 09:33 AM
Is the software not suitable or is the hdd too badly damaged for the software too read?

Not used it on a gamebox specifically but google for some 'dd' tutorials, it will clone anything. very easy too use, lots of guides around also. Grab yourself a knoppox boot disc and should be fine.

DevoDave
26th July 2009, 10:28 AM
For any Arcade-cloning I use Norton Ghost2K3 which runs in DOS mode (I boot it off a USB stick).

It has a 'forensic' mode (the '-ir' flag below) which performs an exact 1-1 duplication.

ghost2k3 -ir -clone,mode=copy,src=1,dst=2

However... be aware that it is possible to securely lock a HDD to a device a-la Xbox version 1 and a cloned disk will not have the same security code so may not work. This may have been done with some arcade gear..

Myny
19th October 2009, 07:28 AM
Generally the locking tends to only be with large volume manufacturers (like Microsoft for the Xbox), so I don't think we'll be seeing any non-cloneable HDD's soon.

If Ghost will not work, try DD as suggested earlier - otherwise it sounds like the drive is on the way out, too far gone to be cloned :(. What is the software based on - can you try and read off the roms/custom software and rebuild the Windows bit yourself?

elvis
19th October 2009, 09:05 AM
Many of the XXXX-in-1 manufacturers have simple anti-drive-cloning tools loaded with their systems. Most are a simple check of the hard disk serial number against a locally stored config file, which is enough to stop the system working on a cloned disk.

There are a number of AAers who've run into this problem, and so far nobody's been able to find a way around it.

Myny
19th October 2009, 09:14 AM
Oh don't say that, you'll bloody tempt me to look into cracking it now!

_Dan_
19th October 2009, 11:25 AM
Might be a silly question, but if you removed the HDD circuit board and placed it on the exact same model drive along with the cloning would that work?
Or is the firmware stored internally? :unsure

Doublemint
19th October 2009, 01:22 PM
Might be a silly question, but if you removed the HDD circuit board and placed it on the exact same model drive along with the cloning would that work?
Or is the firmware stored internally? :unsure

Yes that would work, providing that the problem is not with the drive's PCB (most of the time the PCB is fine though).

elvis
19th October 2009, 02:22 PM
Oh don't say that, you'll bloody tempt me to look into cracking it now!

Have a shot at it and share your findings. There'll be a lot of happy AAers if you break it.

@lien_Zed
19th October 2009, 03:42 PM
Have a shot at it and share your findings.

id like to have a shot with one of these

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/m1a1-980120-A-0000K-002.jpg

:lol:lol

Myny
26th October 2009, 08:31 AM
Have a shot at it and share your findings. There'll be a lot of happy AAers if you break it.
Just need to get my hands on one :).

ocdcsv
27th October 2009, 11:23 PM
Would be interested in having a go at this lockout system as well.

If anyone has a unit to borrow or one that is dead and not working would like to get access to it.

t1ckt0ck
28th October 2009, 07:59 AM
Here's me waiting for someone to say "stick the HDD in the freezer".

Emohawk
28th October 2009, 08:08 AM
I have found this quote it might help...

"serial number or whatever is the four bytes at offset 0x01B8 in the Master Boot Record; you can change it with a disk editor."

So you might be able to get the code off the old drive and inset it into a new disk to work around the issue. This of I guess will only work if you can read the drive in the 1st place...

@lien_Zed
28th October 2009, 08:01 PM
Here's me waiting for someone to say "stick the HDD in the freezer".

damn!!!

u beat the rest of us to it! :lol

if that fails , remember you can hit it with one of these

http://www.minihelicopter.net/AH64Apache/AH-64%20Apache.jpg

elvis
29th October 2009, 10:00 AM
I have found this quote it might help...

"serial number or whatever is the four bytes at offset 0x01B8 in the Master Boot Record; you can change it with a disk editor."

So you might be able to get the code off the old drive and inset it into a new disk to work around the issue. This of I guess will only work if you can read the drive in the 1st place...
Red herring.

I've copied these disks with dd (UNIX program that does sector-for-sector copies at a hardware level). That will include EVERYTHING on the original disk, including the MBR and any sectors around it.

This still doesn't work. They're obviously using something that probes the physical hardware device ID and uses that as the key to run the software.

The final solution will be a hex-edit of the binary that runs the custom front-end (removing the check, or always providing a "true" response to the check), and not something you need to do at time of cloning.

Emohawk
29th October 2009, 10:10 AM
Dam... There is the hardware serial number that you can't copy.

You would have to mod the front-end that sucks...

elvis
29th October 2009, 10:17 AM
If it's in the disk firmware you might stand a chance, but only if you used an identical brand disk I'd assume (maybe not?).

Again, I think hacking the software is a better/safer option, as it's going to be a one-off solution that helps everyone. From there, you could build an image for people to use globally on all hardware.

GameDude
29th October 2009, 12:17 PM
If it's in the disk firmware you might stand a chance, but only if you used an identical brand disk I'd assume (maybe not?).

Again, I think hacking the software is a better/safer option, as it's going to be a one-off solution that helps everyone. From there, you could build an image for people to use globally on all hardware.

Identical drives dont work either, its the serial number.
My bet would be to search all the config files for the serial number of the drive it was cloned from and change it to the drive its on.

David_AVD
29th October 2009, 12:19 PM
If you had the time (and inclination), you could always sniff the IDE buss and look for where / what it's looking for I guess. You'd also have a bit of reading up on the ATA spec to do. Not a 10 minute job I suspect!

Emohawk
29th October 2009, 12:41 PM
Over at http://www.400in1.com/ you can get Fraggal's Boot Cd Version 4.02F
This will load a new OS on the HDD. This might be easer then trying to duplicate the HDD.

I guess you will get a different menu etc.

elvis
29th October 2009, 12:49 PM
Identical drives dont work either, its the serial number.
My bet would be to search all the config files for the serial number of the drive it was cloned from and change it to the drive its on.
Sorry, I meant by "same drives" that you'd need to get two of the same brand, and copy the firmware from one to the other (or at least find the serial number from one, and copy/hack that to the other).

If it's just in a plain-text config file, that would be awesome. You could simply "grep" for it (assuming you know what it looks like, although device manager should assist there). Although if it was me hiding it, I'd put it somewhere binary/encrypted to make it that little bit harder.

If you had the time (and inclination), you could always sniff the IDE buss and look for where / what it's looking for I guess. You'd also have a bit of reading up on the ATA spec to do. Not a 10 minute job I suspect!
Agreed. Which ever way you tackle it (hardware, software or firmware), you're going to be spending a good whack of time at it, and it's not going to be a trivial affair.

Doublemint
29th October 2009, 01:52 PM
I doubt it would be in a binary, as different binaries would have to be compiled for each system. My bet is on an unecrypted file, but not in easy-to-read plaintext. I'm thinking something like a DAT file in C, or whatever.

Maybe some educated guessing and a hex editor is all it would take.

elvis
29th October 2009, 02:02 PM
Sorry, by binary I meant non-text, not necessarily an executable/library. (Like your DAT file theory).

Poor choice of words on my behalf.

ocdcsv
29th October 2009, 03:26 PM
I now have a red-box
Does the red box suffer from this as well??
It currently has a 10gig unit which I want to upgrade the size and replace the chinese windows with an english version of XP etc.

Most things can be patched to get around those hardware checks so that the image will work on any machine.

If someone has a non-working unit that I can borrow and also an image of a working unit then happy to waste my time on it to see if I can get it working.

narf_
29th October 2009, 06:00 PM
from memory a dog turd is better than a red box to modify

ocdcsv
29th October 2009, 08:36 PM
Not sure what that means??

A dog turd can be modified easily (i.e. step on it) but the redbox can not be modified.
Or
A red box is really crap even when compared to dog shit but nothing about it being modified.
Or
You think about dog turds alot and chinese food and ended up in this thread.
Or
You are really new age and "dog turd" is like saying its "really bad" which means "really good" so a dog turd means its the opposite.

So many ways to read that and I probably missed what you really meant.

narf_
29th October 2009, 08:38 PM
sorry mate long day with out much sleep

the redbox from what i have read is un modifiable. might be cracked now but in previous posts its said once there dead there dead ect

ocdcsv
29th October 2009, 08:41 PM
thanks for that.

Just what I needed to know. Time to do some investigation

Pauly404
13th November 2009, 03:33 PM
Complicated but worthwhile. Lots to do now!

grober
17th January 2010, 04:59 AM
I hope someone can understand what I write, my English is pitiful: (

I want to copy a version gamebox Bluebox 2008 MSDOS, 313 in 1, I make a clone with Norton Ghost, and I edit the HD volume ID with the parameter, it seems it will work, but selecting the games do not load just says "now loading" ..........
Some solution to clone the HD?

Thanks

Hewitson
18th January 2010, 03:49 PM
Lol.. 2008 system running MS-DOS? Sounds like a great design.

Anyway, I suggest you use a DOS/Windows port of the unix dd utility as suggested above. Norton software is of terrible quality (just try their AV).

grober
18th January 2010, 07:12 PM
clonezilla could do it?

Thanks for the help

Hewitson
18th January 2010, 07:33 PM
Using anything other than dd for this sort of job is nothing but a complete waste of time.

grober
19th January 2010, 01:45 AM
Using anything other than dd for this sort of job is nothing but a complete waste of time.

Have DD for Windows.

dd if=/dev/sda2 of=/dev/sdb2 bs=4096 conv=notrunc,noerror

so I do this?
Thanks

grober
20th January 2010, 07:32 AM
:unsure I can safely clone games family 1072 in 1, Redbox windows 1000 in 1, "I have the key generator to activate " but this gamebox blue 313 msdos, resists, the menu appears but the game is loading now loading text and is so is: (