PDA

View Full Version : Most important factor when buying?

Willie Wolf
6th September 2006, 06:48 PM
I'm restoring my first machine. Class of 1812. I brought this on a gut feeling and it's turned out great. Thinking about it last night over a beer etc I was wondering what criteria other pinballers use to select there machine restoration project. Is it overall warm and fuzzies or are the mechanicals, electronics, cabinet, plastics, playfield or other things more important. What I'm asking most probably, what is the most important thing? Or is it price? or the GAME? or something more zen.

DialogPimp
6th September 2006, 09:01 PM
Single income, wife plus kid = not much budget to make silly mistakes. So I have a checklist for any machine I'm looking at. Sort of like:

Cabinet - chips, splits, decals faded, touch ups, wear near flipper buttons, coin door, been drilled, siderails not bent, legs rusty, levellers shit, traslite condition.
Playfield - plastics cracked or missing, wear, mylar issues, insert lifting, hacks (like screws through the p/f)
Electronics - GI connectors toasted, board serials match, major burns on the driver, any other obvious hacks.
Tests - switch, lamp and coil.

It sounds really anal but you end up with a much better idea of what the machine condition is really like, and how much it's going to cost you to get it up to your standard.

Pop Bumper Pete
7th September 2006, 02:51 AM
Playfield
If the playfield has too much damage, I wont even consider the machine
Now days everything else can be replaced, but reproduction playfields are still rare

Mickey Juice
7th September 2006, 09:18 AM
Yeah, I'd say one-off stuff like playfield toys and artwork. Mechanics (to a degree) is easier to fix than shitty artwork

DevoDave
8th September 2006, 11:15 AM
Playfield. Worn or crapped out and it's a junker.