PDA

View Full Version : Williams Officall baseball game resto

brook
24th July 2009, 04:56 PM
Hi everyone-this is my first post.
I have an old Williams Official Baseball machine in pretty good condition and I have got the thing to work for the first time in 28 years-this is an oldy as far as I am concerned.
My question is, all of the balls that are in the machine are corroded-where can I source new ones, what size should they be as well as the last clincher question;
I want to replace some of the fileders as they are cracked or missing-does anyone know where to get them?
What are the best paints to use for the repair of the base board also-that is the bonus question.
Thanks in advance for helping.

DKong
24th July 2009, 08:20 PM
This site is a good place to start. http://www.marvin3m.com/fix.htm

stuba
31st July 2009, 10:37 AM
only just saw this.I had similar problems with a baseball game. you can clean the balls up with some 800 grit and then put them in a tumbler. you can also source them from the pinball resource in the US but you can also take one to a ball bearing supplier and they'll sort you out. you need 3/4 inch.

I've never seen replacement men for sale. I would look at making a mould and making epoxy replacements and then hand painting them. hobby enamels would suffice and then spray then with krylon or another spray on clear.

once you touch up the baseboard you will probably need to clear coat it to protect your touch ups. if you want to try without clearing them hobby enamels, if you are going to clear then acrylics will be fine and easier to work with. if the touch ups are not minor then look at arcrylics and clear coat.

be great to see some pics..

dj10555
31st July 2009, 11:00 AM
If you buy the Top #2 This Old Pinball video it covers the repair of Baseball games.

Fish Tales
31st July 2009, 11:01 AM
Funny I didnt notice this thread either!
Welcome to AA, great first post.

machinestylist
2nd August 2009, 12:53 AM
Hey there, also my first post. That's a rarely seen game in Aust and one of the most desirable baseball games there is: wood rails - men on the field - man running unit in the back! Looks stunning and a great fun game to play too. I restored an example for my parents in 1989. All the fielders were broken so we showed one to our foundry and the quote was ridiculous!! So my father decided to take a Tafe course in foundry just to make the new set himself! Luckily we found a few bodies inside the machine, so I glued the feet back on and built up those puny calves with car filler. He also cast in bronze which is way stronger than the original diecast pot metal. None have ever broken. Sadly for you he only made a couple of spares. Now before you think how much trouble that sounds there is an easier option. Only a few months ago somebody was selling a machine on US eBay with a new set of cast alloy men, they hadn't bothered to paint them so that the buyer could customize. I got the idea he bought the men and didn't make them himself. So I'd try searching the net and asking some US collectors/dealers who might know? And you can always try taking agood man into a local foundry or even a hobby jewellery maker as they cast small pieces like that all the time.

The playfield on the machine is actually pretty impervious to wear as it's printed formica. I did some small touch ups from too long screws breaking the surface and used acrylic laquers - they work great for me. It's car paint so it's tough but can easily be removed with a rag and thinners in mins by some future owner if they decide to.
Hope this helps somehow, rory.

machinestylist
19th November 2009, 04:59 AM
Hi, recently sold my parents Official Baseball to a friend who has been after it since at least 1996! Anyway I'm currently servicing the machine before it goes and I was just searching the net for info. I came across this source for men that dates back to 2004.

Reproduction Baseball Men Figures Are Avalible through:
The Workshop of Norman Greene
PO Box 7657
Berkeley, CA 94707
510-524-1109

Should still be available.

stuba
19th November 2009, 06:21 AM
thanks for posting! i might drop the guy a note and see if he still does it. :)

bma
19th November 2009, 08:01 AM
http://shootagainamusements.com/baseball2.html

the info on this site might help.

cheers, bma

illawarra_steelers
19th November 2009, 09:40 AM
Good to see some love for old school baseball games.

I recently bought a Williams Super World Series from 1951:

http://marvin3m.com/baseball/sworld.htm

Arcade King
19th November 2009, 05:09 PM
only just saw this.I had similar problems with a baseball game. you can clean the balls up with some 800 grit and then put them in a tumbler. you can also source them from the pinball resource in the US but you can also take one to a ball bearing supplier and they'll sort you out. you need 3/4 inch.

I've never seen replacement men for sale. I would look at making a mould and making epoxy replacements and then hand painting them. hobby enamels would suffice and then spray then with krylon or another spray on clear.

once you touch up the baseboard you will probably need to clear coat it to protect your touch ups. if you want to try without clearing them hobby enamels, if you are going to clear then acrylics will be fine and easier to work with. if the touch ups are not minor then look at arcrylics and clear coat.

be great to see some pics..

Bling pinballs also sell those 3/4 inch balls same as what I bought for Hyperball.