PDA

View Full Version : Frontends

mikep2000
6th September 2006, 12:39 PM
Just embarking on a cabinet... Thought I'd get the computer stuff sorted first... Also give me time to read and digest all the advice on these forums.

Got a AMD Duron 950 with XP, seems to run MAME32 fine, next question is frontend, but seem to be quite a choice out there.

I like the idea of a jukebox, as the cabinet will be in the rumpus and it can double up for music then.

GameEx looks like a good choice, but what do others use?

Also would 98SE be a better choice, after all the OS doesn't really matter and its smaller than XP?

Cheers
Mike

Foot
6th September 2006, 12:49 PM
Hello there Mike, Welcome aboard!

I'm almost positive your find what your looking for here! :D

Foot

The Pinny Parlour
6th September 2006, 01:09 PM
Just embarking on a cabinet... Thought I'd get the computer stuff sorted first... Also give me time to read and digest all the advice on these forums.

Got a AMD Duron 950 with XP, seems to run MAME32 fine, next question is frontend, but seem to be quite a choice out there.

I like the idea of a jukebox, as the cabinet will be in the rumpus and it can double up for music then.

GameEx looks like a good choice, but what do others use?

Also would 98SE be a better choice, after all the OS doesn't really matter and its smaller than XP?

Cheers
Mike

Hi mikep2000.

Welcome mate. :)

If you want a windows MS OS then try win98 or a stripped XP (TinyXP).

Personally I like DOS. FreeDos is good http://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php?p=27086#post27086

Try Fraggals Boot CD, it tends to do most for you http://www.fraggals-boot.tk/

Front Ends? ah now theres along debate.

Enjoy!
Ian

Crafty
6th September 2006, 01:51 PM
Frontends is like trying to compare Holden with Ford (Holden Rules OK)

Whatever suits your purpose is the best for you. Starting with the computer side of things allows you plenty of time to experiment with the various frontends available.
The options are numerous all with pro's and cons.
Look around at some of the completed cabinets and see what front end they used...

Davefjedi
6th September 2006, 02:13 PM
there is a good selection of FE`s here
http://www.mamedownunder.com.au/

Viper
6th September 2006, 05:45 PM
I just downloaded TinyXP a week or so ago. Haven't installed it yet but it's only 70MB (less if you get the version that doesn't have IE).

Virgil Tracy
6th September 2006, 06:11 PM
I just downloaded TinyXP a week or so ago. Haven't installed it yet but it's only 70MB (less if you get the version that doesn't have IE).

I have a few on tiny xp and it works well.

As for front ends I am very impressed with Atomicfe

Smit
6th September 2006, 07:18 PM
I`use mamewah.. very happy with it.
But i am sure there are probabally better, easier to configure frontends out there.

Smit

elvis
6th September 2006, 08:08 PM
I was a MAMEWah user in my Windows days. Great piece of software.

Wah!Cade is a Linux clone of MAMEWah, and quite well done. It aims to even use the same config files where ever possible:
http://www.anti-particle.com/wahcade.shtml

But generall I use AdvanceMenu for the simple reason that I can force it to generate any 15KHz modes I like, which means I can get proper low-res graphics without awful interlacing:
http://advancemame.sourceforge.net/menu-readme.html

LOTR4U
6th September 2006, 08:31 PM
I have a few on tiny xp and it works well.

As for front ends I am very impressed with Atomicfe

THANKYOU GOD!!!!!!!

A MAME FRONT END I FINALLY GOT WORKING AND NO ISSUES SO FAR!!!! HOOORAYYYYYYYYY!!!!

I think I owe you a big sloppy kiss virgil when I see you mate mmmmmMMm ;)

I tried and had a number of issues from stalling, missing dll's, wont run, can't see roms etc etc and yes I have all the latest files etc!

I have never used a front end until now. years ago I installed Mame32 and it was fine.

Problem Front Ends.

Advance Menu
Mamewah
EasyMame
Emuloader
MameFe
Turbo Mame
UltraStyle
Mamefe

Virgil Tracy
6th September 2006, 09:03 PM
I think I owe you a big sloppy kiss virgil when I see you mate mmmmmMMm ;)

Mate,
In Qld we dont do that sort of thing, that only happens in Sydney.

The Pinny Parlour
6th September 2006, 09:28 PM
XPlite will take a normal install of XP and strip the _ _ _ _ out of it. It is configurable and you can strip out most features at your choosing.

Do a search if your interested. TinyXP does it for you though.

elvis
7th September 2006, 06:52 AM
can't see roms

AFAIK MAME 0.107 introduced a few new flags that affect frontends, and some authors haven't updated yet. If you're stuck on a frontend with a new MAME build, try scaling back to 0.106 or earlier.

Assuming you're going to keep stuffing around now that you've found a working setup. :)

Smit
13th September 2006, 11:17 PM
Hi All,
I noticed you guys mentioning TinyXP earlier in this thread.
Any ideas where to download it from.. looked in google and just a whole heap of shit just comes up.. nowhere to download it though!!:x

Any help would be appreciated.

Smit

Viper
13th September 2006, 11:38 PM
Got mine as a torrent. Can't remember where from. Some info though:
http://www.unlocker-forums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=47842

RETROVAMP
24th October 2006, 08:13 PM
I have used:
Mamewah: to me it seems a little unstable still and needs an update! this is still a great fe
Game ex : quite good but wanted to steer away from the windows feel even though you can skin it quite well and it has regular updates.
MALA : Top notch FE in my books bloody great and getting better all the time i use this quite a bit and it can also use mamewah skins if you are lazy or have no imagination or artistic touch.
SewerGears: is not bad as well lacks in configurations for this fe though but still snazzy and hasn't been updated in a very long time.
:evil MAXIMUS ARCADE :evil : This is the future of all front ends it rocks its a multi fe aswell it has just had a recent beta update and has a skin designer aswell which is ok still needs more freedom i use this the most...oh and this one costs you:unsure but you get free updates. you can download an evaluation copy though with 30 days use.. it cost around $30 i think, i paid a few years back and well worth it!:cool:
Have used many others but these are the one that stand out and hid the OS that you use which is what i like!:rolleyes

@lien_Zed
24th October 2006, 10:04 PM
I use Gamex by Tom Spiers and i love it.

It plays the games i want, and i need to register it for a small $12 USA and i can do all sorts of other cool stuff.

love it!!:055: :060:

loadman
27th January 2007, 02:06 PM
Try MaLa

Easy as...

:-)

headkaze
27th January 2007, 07:56 PM
Hey loadman o/ and hello everyone!

I'm a GameEx user, forum moderator, developer and author of the GameEx Setup Wizard, Theme Editor, several plugins and the New User Guide. And fellow aussie :)

I have known about these forums for a while but loadman has ressurected them for me so I decided to join.

I'm also a big fan of Mala and the work loadman does for it. We tend to bounce ideas off each other for the plugin's were developing. The latest plugins were writing are to support the LEDWiz device by goodgamegear.

As a poll on BYOAC indicates the top FE's by vote are GameEx, Mala, MameWah and Atomic. Try them all out, and check out the BYOAC wiki for features.