View Full Version : Gamers to get a show on the ABC

frs
5th September 2006, 03:38 PM
http://australianit.news.com.au/articles/0,7204,20356693^15306,00.html

Seems to be more console and PC based than arcade

elvis
5th September 2006, 04:21 PM
Seems to be more console and PC based than arcade

No offense, but what did you expect? Arcades are dead for anyone bar we crazy collectors.

It'll be all mainstream XBox 360 crap. Don't expect anything even remotely exciting, unique or rare.

frs
5th September 2006, 04:43 PM
No offense taken - I won't be watching it myself. Just thought some of the crew here might find it interesting.

elvis
5th September 2006, 04:53 PM
Don't get me wrong... I hope it will be something unique and interesting. But based entirely on the last 20 years, anything that makes TV or radio is going to be mainstream crap and nothing more.

The intarweb is the only place for folks wanting to share a unique interest. Particularly small user forums like these.

I'll watch the first few episodes all the same (and I should say thanks too for bringing it to everyone's attention - my first post came across far too grumpy) and judge it after that. But I'm not holding my breath.

Mickey Juice
5th September 2006, 05:01 PM
Im with you Elvis, but beggers can't be choosers. At least we get *something*!

(I'd rather re-runs of 'The Zone' for nostalgia ;))

oh well :)

*goes back to playing Pheonix Wright on the DS*

XiTaU
5th September 2006, 06:43 PM
im suprised they dont have one of these types of shows aimed at kids because they are a huge hunk of the audience and are usually good at getting mummy and daddy to shell out and buy anything thier heart desires.

elvis
5th September 2006, 07:28 PM
im suprised they dont have one of these types of shows aimed at kids because they are a huge hunk of the audience and are usually good at getting mummy and daddy to shell out and buy anything thier heart desires.

Ironically gaming shows in the US that actually do cover non-mainstream games tend to get fairly high ratings, but these sorts of things are usually confined to US cable TV providers only, and of those most of them get canned after a few seasons because they aren't pulling in billions and billions of dollars.

But then again: we're talking about the same industry where 5 of 7 shows nominated for "best show" style categories at the latest US Emmy Awards were actually no longer on the air as it was decided by the powers that they weren't bringing in enough cash. Yes you heard me right - they can win awards, but it's not enough unless they are making buckets 'o' cash ala "Survivor" and "Idol" style shite.

Anyways... I'm smelling a soapbox again, and I did promise to put that away.

buzzbox
5th September 2006, 07:40 PM
Well im looking forward to it :) I love all types of games and gaming consoles

Mickey Juice
5th September 2006, 07:49 PM
I think this looks promising.
Mainly because (don't laugh!) the ABC make some of some of the best local shows on TV atm eg The Chaser's War on Everything, Spicks 'n' Specks, The Glass House, Collectors etc etc So I think it won't be commercial driven (as much), especially being on ABC2 only.
If they have the right people behind it I think it will work eg JTV looks like it's doing well, and I like it ^_^
They're doing plenty right ATM eg you can download missed episodes of JTV and The Chaser.

You can check out a sample of the show here:
http://abc.net.au/tv/goodgame/

The Pinny Parlour
5th September 2006, 07:57 PM
I agree. The ABC is great. God I'm getting old. :cry :rolleyes :) :confused:

Mickey Juice
5th September 2006, 08:08 PM
LOL. There are still shows on for young whipper snappers!
http://abc.net.au/jtv/

bwodie
5th September 2006, 08:53 PM
survivor aint shit! lol
love that show
i watch it with my old man whos a psychitrist, a few seasons there were some real smart fellas on it, he loved some of the mind games

elvis
5th September 2006, 09:53 PM
survivor aint shit!
Mate, I had full respect for you as a fellow DoDonPachi lover. Please don't make me take that back. :lol

ABC have the luxury of not having to answer to a room full of corporate wankers. In a way that gives them a lot of leniency when it comes to opinions - hence such shows as The Chaser and whatnot.

I would hope that this new show is at the very least unbiased and able to rate games fairly without the need to please some corporate sponsor. I've seen enough games sites lose all of their reputation due to such things (IGN = the world's greatest advertising portal).

But with that said, Australia has a shocking choice of games on local shelves. If you like FPS or driving games, you are well catered for. If however you are sick to death of Ghost Recon 15, or Battlefield 39, or EA Sports golf/football/hockey/****ing-whatever 2007, then you are shit out of luck for gaming in this country, and forced to import all your games. I personally fall into said "shit out of luck" category. Mainstream gaming bores me shitless 99.99% of the time. And I'm hoping any video game centric TV show caters at least for 5 minutes an episode to gamers like myself.

buzzbox
5th September 2006, 11:38 PM
I agree. The ABC is great. God I'm getting old. :cry :rolleyes :) :confused:

ABC was always great !!! Dr Who -- Goodies -- Monkey !!!! :lol

elvis
6th September 2006, 06:06 AM
Mysterious Cities of Gold and Astroboy for the win!

Virgil Tracy
6th September 2006, 07:00 AM
. If however you are sick to death of Ghost Recon 15, or Battlefield 39,

:062: :067:

Leave my games alone, Linux freak:p

elvis
6th September 2006, 07:21 AM
No offense intended to those who love them. I've been playing network (and before network, null-modem) FPS games from day dot. 13 years later, there's little innovation and I'm getting bored.

Of course the same can be said about fighting games. I still don't understand why I haven't grown tired of them. :unsure

I think the biggest reason of all for me leaving the FPS genre behind was the cost. Playing them on console sucks (low res TVs and control pads are not cool for headshot-aiming FPS titles). Keyboard, mouse and hi-res monitor is the only way. But with that said, dropping $1k+ onto my home PC every year just to play a few games that updated eye-candy and not actual gameplay was a novelty that wore off quickly.

Still... if anyone organises an original UT LAN, I'm there. None of this slow-arsed shit. Unreal Tournament the original, set to 150% gamelpay speed, with instagib mod. Frags Per Second baby. Blink and die.

The Pinny Parlour
6th September 2006, 08:14 AM
No offense intended to those who love them. I've been playing network (and before network, null-modem) FPS games from day dot. 13 years later, there's little innovation and I'm getting bored.

Of course the same can be said about fighting games. I still don't understand why I haven't grown tired of them. :unsure

I think the biggest reason of all for me leaving the FPS genre behind was the cost. Playing them on console sucks (low res TVs and control pads are not cool for headshot-aiming FPS titles). Keyboard, mouse and hi-res monitor is the only way. But with that said, dropping $1k+ onto my home PC every year just to play a few games that updated eye-candy and not actual gameplay was a novelty that wore off quickly.

Still... if anyone organises an original UT LAN, I'm there. None of this slow-arsed shit. Unreal Tournament the original, set to 150% gamelpay speed, with instagib mod. Frags Per Second baby. Blink and die.

Will give you some info on that, I'm a UT nut and still prefer it over anything else. Still got a brand new BF2 that lasted 20mins before it was removed. (never even took it on line either.

Mickey Juice
6th September 2006, 09:36 AM
But with that said, Australia has a shocking choice of games on local shelves. If you like FPS or driving games, you are well catered for.

True. Being a big DS user atm, just look at the local releases Vs the AAA titles available overseas. It's a disgrace. You'll never see Trauma Center, Pheonix Wright or similar (Atlus ;) ) games on local EB shelves.
I hardly buy any games local, only ones like NSMB or Castlevania (mainly for collectability.. they don't bring many into the country). The rest I import :|

I used to be a big PC gamer, but after HL2 I dont really use it to play games :(
Just cool stuff like Darwinia from Introversion.
I've got back into console gaming and got far more fun from raiding the GameCubes back catalogue eg Res Evil 4, Chibi-Robo etc
But IMHO the best modern gaming machine atm is the DS... Lots of innovative games, region free, free online game play and is bringing back plenty of old skool click 'n' point adventure games...
Arcade gaming also provides me with some good gaming in short bursts.

elvis
6th September 2006, 10:06 AM
Handheld import gaming is cool because there's no stupid region encoding. GBA and DS games from any country work on all consoles from any other country.

I do seriously hope that non-handheld consoles start to offer the same. I'm sick to death of modding my consoles and being told I'm a dirty pirate because I want to BUY games that don't appear on local shelves. (Where the **** was the PAL release of SF3:3S for PS2???).

Mickey Juice
6th September 2006, 11:18 AM
Region free would be a smart option for the new consoles.
You won't need to install a modchip to play imports, thus less likely to pirate games. Plus the excuse that pirates use "I mod-chip to play imports" will be void.

Ahhhh Scurrrveyyy!!

elvis
6th September 2006, 11:36 AM
Region free would be a smart option for the new consoles.
You won't need to install a modchip to play imports, thus less likely to pirate games. Plus the excuse that pirates use "I mod-chip to play imports" will be void.
100% bang on. The only reason modchips are legal in certain countries (Australia, Germany, France, etc) is because all these countries have bodies that keep an eye on anti-competative behaviour (ie: our own ACCC). If region coding didn't exist, modchips wouldn't exist.

The problem of course is that Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo etc need to keep their distributors happy. As always, it's the middle-men that **** it up for everyone. Distributors get pissy if people buy games from overseas. The companies developing and publishing the games get their bucks whether I buy their title here for from Japan. But the local distributors get cranky if I don't pay their local $20 markup.

Beyond that, I hate playing PAL games at 50Hz. That will change however with all the new consoles supporting 480p or greater, as that's the same no matter what country you live in.

But honestly, there could be a lot of money, time and effort saved if the console manufacturers made one console for worldwide release. Plus these days games are released on DVD or some other high-density media. Squashing a dozen languages on the disk (even if they are subtitles to play over the spoken FMV) shouldn't be an issue. International gaming is a very strong possibility that is limited by politics and marketing, and not technology.

But I guess if the big corps are happy enough to give the populace a reason to keep turning to modchips, then it's their problem. I laugh when I imagine a cranky old fogey in a suit slamming his hand down on his solid oak desk, scattering his corporate embossed stationary as he screams out in anger when their brand new console hits the stores, and the low-budget modders have chips already waiting for the supposedly "uncrackable" multi-million dollar technology.

Long live the hackers.

skid
6th September 2006, 12:07 PM
(I'd rather re-runs of 'The Zone' for nostalgia ;))

Whoa, I remembered the show, but you remembered the name of the show!

Mickey Juice
6th September 2006, 12:09 PM
Whoa, I remembered the show, but you remembered the name of the show!

http://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php?t=589&highlight=zone ;)

Mickey Juice
19th September 2006, 12:55 PM
don't forget it's on tonight at 8.30!!!

http://www.abc.net.au/tv/guide/abc2/200609/programs/WY0601H001D19092006T203000.htm