PDA

View Full Version : test mode

mickaz
18th July 2009, 06:33 PM
can you put a pcb into test mode, if so what does this tell you? i have a rastan saga board which the graphics sort of break up vertically and flicker but the scores and text all come up fine. also it seems like the sound needs to be turned up, and it is not the cabinet. will the test(if you can test) fault these problems?

spacies
18th July 2009, 06:38 PM
Yes you can.
It will tell you if you have bad ram/roms but thats it really.

mickaz
18th July 2009, 06:41 PM
how do i put it in test mode? cheers, mick.:blink:

Womble
18th July 2009, 06:46 PM
Is this the board that was on ebay last week with the gfx issues? Saw that board in action when I was over at borderstacys house.

Test mode is rarely as useful as it sounds unfortunately, you might be able to get it to test the roms and the ram, but games usually do that on boot anyway, plus I have known bad RAM pass all tests and still be screwed.

What features the test mode has depends on the board itself, some have very in depth options, others have virtually nothing of use. To get it into test mode you usually just push the service button in the cab - if it has one and is wired that is. However it looks like Rastan Saga may not have a service mode, F2 usually triggers it in MAME and it does nothing when RS is running. Onboard dipswitches are another option but RS has no dips for service mode either. Some games just didn't have a service mode, looks like RS is one of them.

You probably have a RAM fault, either that or bad RAM support logic.

Whereabouts in Vic are you, happy to take a look at it for you.

mickaz
18th July 2009, 06:56 PM
yeah it is that board. i live in frankston vic. theres a rastan saga on ebay in uk also, thinking maybe cheaper to get that? not sure. would like to try and fix my one . just dont know exactly where to start. did check over the board a couple of times with a mag glass.

Womble
18th July 2009, 07:02 PM
Its most likely that you have a bad SRAM chip, or a stuck line on a data bus somewhere. You really need a scope or at the very least a logic probe to get anywhere with it tho.

I have bought boards from the UK before, you are looking at about 50-60 postage, perhaps more for RS which is a bit of a chunky boardset.

I am happy to look at it for you for free if you can get it to me, its quite probably fixable, I considered buying it myself to repair but wasn't a great fan of the game in MAME.

mickaz
18th July 2009, 07:06 PM
HELL YEAH, that would be awsome womble. where abouts do you live? regards, mick.

Womble
18th July 2009, 07:10 PM
Am in Newport, between Williamstown and Yarraville.

mickaz
18th July 2009, 07:10 PM
sorry womble my lift is here, im off to the pub for a couple of beers. ill check my thread ASAP. cheers, mick.

horseyboy69
18th July 2009, 07:36 PM
Hi Mick,
How was the pub?

I just bought a lowboy with a Rastan Saga game board in it and I will be putting in a 48 in 1. I was going to sell the board but it seems to have a problem. It starts up fine and you can put credits, start the game and then just as it is about to start playing it goes back to the start screen with no credits. I have no idea whether this is a big deal or not. If womble can't fix yours and you need another one to try and get working properly then let me know.
Cheers,
Ian

mickaz
19th July 2009, 10:45 PM
thanks horseyboy69, pub was great. only just got up. with RS, ill let you know. womble i work in the city every day so maybe we can organize i drop to newport or would you prefer i send? cheers, mick. :D

horseyboy69
25th July 2009, 03:05 PM
I also have a Rastan Saga marquee for $5 plus postage if you want it. Has a crack in it but apart from that its not bad. Here it is here. http://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php?p=312854#post312854
Cheers,
Ian