PDA

View Full Version : Reproduction Hankin Tabletop Project

Lazarus
17th July 2009, 09:28 PM
Long time follower of these forums, first time poster however.

I thought i'd chime in with some details of what I have been working on lately. I've been busy laying out and designing the machine in a CAD package and have come up with the following...

The build commences this weekend with the components being machined on a CNC machine.

Progress pics to follow.

Enjoy

Ballypinball
17th July 2009, 10:32 PM
I have had the files done for years

but there is already 8 people making the same thing now

Lazarus
17th July 2009, 10:54 PM
Thats great - and theyre all selling for over $3k

Not prepared to pay that to have one for the kids.

Ballypinball
17th July 2009, 11:50 PM
you will find the metal work and control panels will be expensive

you will find the metal work and control panels will be expensive

you say for the kids, you mean you, the kids don't care if it's a copy Hankin cabinet

there are many others out there new for under $1200 complete with games ready to go

Lazarus
18th July 2009, 12:42 AM
very presumptuous.

I'll still build it anyway, perhaps other members might appreciate the blow by blow build.

Ballypinball
18th July 2009, 12:56 AM
Gamemaster make the cabinets you can buy bare

there is another guy on ebay that was selling them empty

I think it was about $600 to $800 empty

Materials will be $500 odd + your time

Good luck with that, I have a CNC and a woodworking dept, But Guess what, I buy them already made.

Cheaper

Lazarus
18th July 2009, 01:23 AM
Guess what, I have a CNC also.

But I guess you want the last word, so feel free.

wingtipvortex
18th July 2009, 01:32 AM
Yep, this is how you treat new members to Aussie Arcade, with ignorance and arrogance:(

I thought you were better than this BP?

dezbaz
18th July 2009, 01:56 AM
Welcome to the forum, you will find a lot of help here, please ask if you need help.

There are quite a few members in adelaide, and help from other locations too.

You must be a cabinet maker to have a CNC

The Metalwork is the fun part, I guess, but you could always try to source second hand ones to restore??

Anyway, good luck, hope this makes amends, and you stick around to show us your creation

Brad
18th July 2009, 07:38 AM
Jesus Wayne could you even be more negative! :huh:

Welcome aboard BananaBoat. The vast majority of us love these build posts and look forward to the details and LOTS of photos to follow.

Cheers,
Brad

mxd
18th July 2009, 07:44 AM
welcome aboard, keep up the pics and show us see pics of your cnc in action (that it'll get most of us drooling)

Not too sure of the political comments above though ?

AdamC
18th July 2009, 07:47 AM
Welcome Bananaboat.
Id like to see your build on this. :)
:023:
I'll get around to building one of these one day, myself.

Foot
18th July 2009, 07:51 AM
G'day Bananboat :welcome: As Brad said we love a good build here.

Personally I find it much more satisfying to build something myself then to buy an soul less import

Arcade King
18th July 2009, 08:16 AM
Yep, this is how you treat new members to Aussie Arcade, with ignorance and arrogance:(

I thought you were better than this BP?

Ballypinball is now on a restricted account limited to posting in his own commercial section. We've had enough of his interference in general conversation on the forum which has been going on for years.
It seems BallyPinballs commercial interests are constantly conflicting with the general theme of AA which is solely for the benefit of the backyarder/collector/hobbiest.

Welcome to the forum BananaBoat

Lazarus
18th July 2009, 09:34 AM
Ballypinball is now on a restricted account limited to posting in his own commercial section. We've had enough of his interference in general conversation on the forum which has been going on for years.
It seems BallyPinballs commercial interests are constantly conflicting with the general theme of AA which is solely for the benefit of the backyarder/collector/hobbiest.

Welcome to the forum BananaBoat

I guess that'll learn him. I didnt think it was my place to point out he probably has some commercial interest at play - hence the attitude. Takes all sorts to make the world and that includes small minded attitudes too.

Thanks for the support everyone and general positive comments.
I'll try contribute as much as possible and provide plenty of pictures of the build as it progresses.

Thanks for the warm welcome.

maxpower
18th July 2009, 10:56 AM
Hanging to see pic's of the build. If you can do the wood work the legs will be easy as to make. The control panels will be a bastard to make but I have a spare set here if you need them. Good luck and looking forward to the pic's.:)

Lazarus
18th July 2009, 12:57 PM
MaxPower

i'd love to get my hands on your metal control panels - even if its just for referencing sizes and locations.

Can we organise something?

chriscross
18th July 2009, 02:45 PM
Welcome buddy

Some people are just ****ing tools....

There are heaps that would love to see the build

maxpower
18th July 2009, 05:54 PM
MaxPower

i'd love to get my hands on your metal control panels - even if its just for referencing sizes and locations.

Can we organise something?

Hi BB I can send one to you to copy if needed. I'm sure I have a spare set here somewhere..

Max

spacies
18th July 2009, 06:22 PM
Welcome and good luck with your build :D

Wob
18th July 2009, 06:30 PM
Welcome, good luck with the build. I just managed to pick myself up a Hankin Cocktail yesterday that needs a little work to get going. I'll post a thread with some picks when I get off my arse and take some.

Crafty
18th July 2009, 07:47 PM
Cool another adelaidean...

We need photo's, lots of photo's......

Welcome aboard...

RaMpAgE
18th July 2009, 07:47 PM
Welcome BB, looks like your the straw that broke the camels back - congrats!

Nice project too.

Cheers

scratcha
18th July 2009, 08:02 PM
Welcome Aboard BB... Enjoy your stay here, there are some great people here that make up AA...:)
Look forward to seeing plenty of pic's...
I really wonder if we need commercial sellers that are out to rag us BACKYARDERS..
Keep up the good work...

Lazarus
18th July 2009, 08:31 PM
Wow, the straw that broke the camels back... how do I get that phrase under my Username, lol!

well, I had to comment on the response and support, what a great community.

Now for some questions/advice.

I'm thinking of grabbing those Zippy joysticks from Ozstick. Has anyone had any experience with these?

As this build will be for a mame setup, i'll be using a LCD screen for a display. I'm open to suggestions for bezel ideas!

Any other comments/suggestions welcome

thanks

Arcade King
18th July 2009, 08:32 PM
Zippys are great when adjusted right. Make sure you get the short shafted ones.

Lazarus
18th July 2009, 08:40 PM
could you ellaborate on the adjustment?

Arcade King
18th July 2009, 08:43 PM
some times the metal strip on the micro switches need a little bending to make the joystick work correctly.
I've had zippys that wouldn't quite go diagonally in one direction so a little tweaking was needed. Very easy and quick to do.

Lazarus
18th July 2009, 08:54 PM
would these be suitable for a mame setup for various types of games?

Is it possible to set them to a 8-way setup and assume they will work for a 4way game?

Arcade King
18th July 2009, 08:56 PM
Yeah they have an adjustment to make them 2/4/8 way.
Personal preference really some people are pretty picky when it comes to sticks.
I like the short shafted zippys because they suit cocktails.

coolspot
18th July 2009, 09:03 PM
i had to shorten it but i changed it for you you can do it yourself in vbplaza but you dont have enough points and ill donate some points for you

Lazarus
18th July 2009, 09:15 PM
sorry, dont understand the last post, what am i missing?
ahh... the phrase under my username... lol

Thanks very much!

horseyboy69
18th July 2009, 09:18 PM
sorry, dont understand the last post, what am i missing?

Cool spot was saying that the name(Straw broke camels back) can be changed by other members. When you post threads and comments etc you earn points and you can go to the VB plaza and buy things, like change of name, arcade games, gifts for other members etc. He wasn't referring to the shortened joystick.

Welcome to the forum BB all the best with the build.
Cheers,.
Ian

spriggy
18th July 2009, 10:17 PM
Enjoy the build. Nothing better then sitting back and admiring your finished cab with a cold beer.. or 10 <_<

Bendragon
18th July 2009, 10:54 PM
I can't see the problem with the metal work really, it's just a simple box section assy to hold up and together the whole thing. Hell, you could make a mock up with wood and cut/measure/weld to suit.

Even the CP is a mock up, measure cut and fold job, any sheet metal place can hook you up - Stainless would look nice.

Look forward to see the progress !

Lazarus
18th July 2009, 11:00 PM
Hanging to see pic's of the build. If you can do the wood work the legs will be easy as to make. The control panels will be a bastard to make but I have a spare set here if you need them. Good luck and looking forward to the pic's.:)

Max

could you do me a favour and measure the thickness of the sheet metal?

thanks

Lazarus
20th July 2009, 11:06 PM
Well,
im getting some good assistance on bits & pieces from a few forum members, which is nice.

Currently sourcing parts for the build and pricing it up before I start cutting.

On the joystick front, had a play with a mag stick on a mates new cabinet, and i'm not sure if its me, but they seem very "springy" even though theyre magnetically centered. Is this anyone elses experience?

What is the best joystick to go for? Sanwa J-Stick?

narf_
20th July 2009, 11:13 PM
i like mcas personally and they did come on hankins also

can rip them nearly out there sockets and they still work

bumper stocks them new for around $35 on ebay

Mr Pubstuff
20th July 2009, 11:20 PM
yep, welcome to AA from another local. pics is what we want to see as if there aint pics, its never happened :lol

tnpshow
20th July 2009, 11:32 PM
Hey BB welcome fellow Adelaidian!

You don't know member PommiePaul by any chance do you?

Lazarus
20th July 2009, 11:38 PM

Is that Paul from A.Worx?
Do i know you?

dezbaz
21st July 2009, 12:12 AM
I like Zippy Joysticks, all i ever use

David at AVD makes an electronic circuit that electronically switches between 4 and 8 way by the way

here (http://www.audiovisualdevices.com.au/viewprod.php?catid=&productid=APC614)

tnpshow
21st July 2009, 12:46 AM
Is that Paul from A.Worx?
Do i know you?

I dunno if he's from AWorx - I don't think so.

Nah, it's just he was talking about making a few Hankin Cocktails aswell.

Mickey Juice
21st July 2009, 10:10 AM
I'd also research LCD's in cocktails... I've heard they're not the best ie can't be viewed properly from certain angles ie top

Crafty
21st July 2009, 10:23 AM
I have a 15" LCD in my redone LAI cocktail and for the players visibility is excellent. For spectators one side is worse than the other, but in the end it's the players that are important so no issue with an LCD from my perspective.

But different LCD's do have different viewing angles so check. also it will be under glass so factor that in as well.

Lazarus
21st July 2009, 01:21 PM
I think the trick with LCD's is that they need to be set at a level below the underside of the arcade's "lid" or "Top piece" say be about 2" or so.

This gives a better viewing angle, but of course means that a bezel of somekind is needed

andykmv
22nd July 2009, 06:17 PM
welcome BB! i'm (slowly) working toward some cab builds myself so interested to see the results!

from where i'm sitting the straw that broke the camels back made a cracking noise that was about as loud as a sack of wet mice. or a sparrows fart in a stiff wind. or a worm burp underground. as smelly as an astronauts fart in orbit. seeing a black cat on a moonless night. black ice.
Didnt see it comin but then I havent been lurking all that long either ! ;)

you'll have lotsa fun buddy 'cause they're a great crew ! whoo hoo! 93 posts! whaddoigetfapostin100posts ?

Cheers!

Lazarus
27th July 2009, 10:49 PM
ok well, this thread has been a bit tame so far, so i thought i'd spice it up a little.

I know how we all like to see photos, well.....look what arrived in the post today, compliments of in2 amusements.

Firstly, the ****wit courier thought he'd just drop these over my 6ft fence, in the flower bed coz no-one was home. It was raining all day in Adelaide today.
Luckily the packaging was done well, so no drams with the gear!

Man these sanwa buttons are deluxe. I would recommend spending the extra $$ as theyre worth it. And what can be said about these joystick, QUALITY!

It appears im approaching this from an ass about face way, but there is method to the madness. I need these parts for measurement to ensure the CAD designs will work.

I'm also after information on the following:
1. The brand/name of the laminate or veneer used on the original hankin machines, or a close estimate
2. The Hankin font for the glass top
3. Info on building a bezel to suit a LCD screen.

Enjoy!

Pommie Paul
27th July 2009, 11:33 PM
One of the members here mention me building a couple of these , due to work things have been slow last few weeks but i may be able to help out re control panels , done a fair bit of research an due to the folds being more round repro'ing them ain't cheap

pm me an i'll shoot you my number

Cheers Paul

Mr Pubstuff
28th July 2009, 07:42 PM

doesnt everyone in adelaide know him? :lol

Wob
29th July 2009, 03:42 PM
2. The Hankin font for the glass top
Enjoy!

I looked into this as mine cabinet doesn't have the logo's on it and the black boarders are in average condition. Thinking about replacing the glass and replicating the look with some vinyl stickers on the underside of the glass.

I don't think it's a generic or even a custom font that I can find. I think it was probably a hand drawn logo. Just wondering if someone out there that has this on there cabinet can take a nice close up photo. Preferable straight on and as high a res as you can. Then we can look at vectoring it.

Cheers,
Wob

Mikie
29th July 2009, 04:25 PM
Hey BB welcome! nice drawings , good to see a cocktail tracking along :cool: Mikie

Lazarus
31st July 2009, 07:23 PM
well, more parts ordered today, pics when they arrive.

Lazarus
8th August 2009, 12:17 AM
ok well today the MDF components were machined. I opted to go for the 2axis lazer cutter instead of the CNC.

Project is moving along nicely. Pictures of the components attached.

Comments welcome.

edit: need to make pics smaller, so will update post when available
Cant upload pics - keep getting over quota messages, anyone know what thats about?

dezbaz
8th August 2009, 01:07 AM
ok well today the MDF components were machined. I opted to go for the 2axis lazer cutter instead of the CNC.

Project is moving along nicely. Pictures of the components attached.

Comments welcome.

edit: need to make pics smaller, so will update post when available
Cant upload pics - keep getting over quota messages, anyone know what thats about?

I use my ISP to upload to.

I think newbies have a lower limit maybe?

Lazarus
8th August 2009, 01:31 AM
Try this link...

Reproduction Hankin TableTop (http://www.b16a.gotdns.com/hankin/)

Collection of photos of progress so far

dezbaz
8th August 2009, 02:21 AM
Well done

Great effort so far

Foot
8th August 2009, 06:55 PM
Nice, looks ready for assembly, get cracking :023:

prktkljokr
8th August 2009, 07:17 PM
Just get yourself a photobucket account, its free and just link the pictures.
www.photobucket.com

Lazarus
8th August 2009, 08:23 PM
Ok,
spent most of this afternoon (after lunch) on assembly.

First will be the dummy assembly for test fit of parts and screws. Once complete, I will tear it apart and undercoat & paint & laminate the relevant parts.

I have updated the photo gallery with the assembly so far...

Reproduction Hankin TableTop-Update (http://www.b16a.gotdns.com/hankin/)

comments welcome.

Dice275o
14th August 2009, 07:30 PM
Really nice design, I like it!

Lazarus
15th August 2009, 12:12 AM
Thanks, appreciate the feedback

More work to come this weekend.
Picking up control panel test piece this weekend and will finish dummy assembly before tearing it down for routing and painting.

Will also try test mount the CRT tube for location & fitment.

Cant wait!

cejay
15th August 2009, 08:40 AM
Looks awesome!! looking forward to more progress :)

Lazarus
16th August 2009, 08:01 PM
update 16/8/09:

Spent the weekend working on the arcade - in particular the monitor removal, discharge and install into the cab.

Discharge was very easy, but very scarey given its the first time ive ever attempted this.

I also got the test piece control panel to check fitment, looks like some minor adjustment is needed - nothing major, just needs to be wider by 2mm each side.

Problem: I ordered a 20" monitor bezel from Jason however it looks like the its really a 19" bezel (viewable area) - I wonder if he'll take it back....
If anyone knows where to find a true 20" monitor bezel, of the wide variety, like this one, please let me know

http://www.users.on.net/~mmem/images/4frame_6.jpg

anyway, pics updated, enjoy

Reproduction Hankin TableTop update 16Aug09 (http://www.b16a.gotdns.com/hankin/)

BB

pistonsix
16th August 2009, 08:27 PM
Great job but Is the monitor only in the hole for test fitment or is that its final position...

Correct me if i am wrong but does the tube sit too high for the glass to be fitted.. :unsure

daics3522
16th August 2009, 08:28 PM
Looks good so far...

I am sure Jason will refund the bezel if its no good........ :unsure:unsure

dezbaz
16th August 2009, 08:30 PM
If anyone knows where to find a true 20" monitor bezel, of the wide variety, like this one, please let me know
BB

Try Gamemasters (That's his user Name)

Lazarus
16th August 2009, 08:34 PM
Great job but Is the monitor only in the hole for test fitment or is that its final position...

Correct me if i am wrong but does the tube sit too high for the glass to be fitted.. :unsure

yea it's only test fitment, I cant continue until i get the bezel issue sorted so I just left it as is for now....

TheGuru
16th August 2009, 10:25 PM
I've got an original Hankin 20" cocktail. Not sure if you realise but the joysticks and buttons are leaf switch. I personally prefer them to all that noisy clicking B.S. After you play a few games with the clickey-clickety-clicking switches you'll want to rip them out and burn them :D
Also the Hankin cocktail has a plastic bezel. You can use the same bezel from any common LAI lowboy, they're the same type and screen size. Good luck trying to find a reproduction one.
The top glass has a black mask painted on it to hide the inside on the edge of the bezel. I can do you a pic if you need it and/or other pics of various parts. Let me know...

Lazarus
16th August 2009, 10:32 PM
thanks for the info, what i'd really love to know is

a. is the border painted on glass or is it a decal?
b. I'd love a HiRes closup photo of the "hankin" logo on the glass.

and general pics wouldn't go astray...

Lazarus
18th August 2009, 09:05 PM
Today I spent the day finalising the cabinet construction, monitor height and placement, bezel and a few other bits and pieces.

The only thing left is to screw in the hinges for the top (didn't have correct size screws handy) and then i'm ready for paint and laminate.

Unfortunately I didnt have the camera with me today, so i'll take some pics tomorrow.

On the electronics front, the Arcade VGA and I-Pac have arrived and expect Joey's chassis to arrive tomorrow.

It's all coming together nicely.

maxpower
18th August 2009, 10:47 PM
HI BB I forgot to measure the bezel for you. I have a hankin bezel here if you need pic's. If you want to borrow it yell out.

Lazarus
18th August 2009, 11:34 PM
Thanks Max

I think im sorted with all the gear.

Undecided if I will T mould this cab...

maxpower
19th August 2009, 08:33 AM
T- Mould is a must. You have gone this far. I'm glad you canned the LCD. They look crap.

Lazarus
19th August 2009, 08:43 AM
remember these pieces were laser cut intentionally, and so the edges are nice and neat, which i guess is what the purpose of t-mould is (to hide rough edges). other than that what is the benefit if it?

Davefjedi
19th August 2009, 08:57 AM
remember these pieces were laser cut intentionally, and so the edges are nice and neat, which i guess is what the purpose of t-mould is (to hide rough edges). other than that what is the benefit if it?

Tmoulding protects the edges from bumps and eventual chipping swelling

AskJacob
19th August 2009, 08:57 AM

The edge of ply, mdf and chipboard is very prone to wear and damage, so the t-moulding is to provide a buffer between it and the real world. Also a tiny help to avoid ingress of water (maybe beer, maybe coke, but mainly sweat [yuck!]) all which will have a cab looking tattered in no time. Ply is the toughest of the lot, but unless you use marine ply is still likely to weaken, delaminate and loose hunks of wood over time.

Oh, and my experience shows that T-mould does not hide rough edges - it "enhances" them and makes them stand out horribly ;)

Cheers
Jacob

Lazarus
19th August 2009, 09:43 AM
anyone have a cheap source for the router bit ?

locals want like $50 for it.

Crafty
19th August 2009, 10:55 AM
Mate I got one you can borrow.

Live at Broadview

Lazarus
19th August 2009, 11:58 AM
bro

could you give me a buzz on .......PM sent

im on my way to pick up a bit as I type, so hopefully you catch me...

fingers crossed

BB

spriggy
19th August 2009, 02:25 PM
I use to get my router bits from here. http://www.apworkshop.com.au/index.html Trade and Industrial Quality bits. You'll still be around $42 though, ($37 bit, $7 delivery) ... so prob not worth the 8$ effort.

But a reference anyway. <_< :rolleyes

Haven't use them in 4 years though as all the bits are still going strong.

Lazarus
19th August 2009, 10:00 PM
Progress was frustrating today...

spent all morning chasing down 20mm T-mould (I now have 100m of it if anyone wants any) and the router bits only to have the router die on me after 2 cuts.... back to Bunnings she goes!

Anyway, today I fixed the lid, set the monitor height adjusted cabinet door hinges and cam lock.

All that is left now is to tear down, router the edges for T-Mould and laminate & paint.

Im going away for a week so no progress this week.

Pics updated.
Reproduction Hankin TableTop update 19Aug09 (http://www.b16a.gotdns.com/hankin/)

Lazarus
1st September 2009, 08:43 PM
ok Boys & Girls

back from holidays last week and have been quietly busy at work with this machine.

progress as follows:
1. laminated and trimmed control panel supports
2. undercoated (2 coats) mdf
3. 1st coat of black satin enamel applied today to the underside (or inside) of the mdf. External surfaces to follow tomorrow.
4. Joey's chassis, ipac, arcade vga and video booster have all arrived.
5. Donor PC for mame is setup awaiting for install.
6. Control panels and all brackets powdercoated.

Pics updated
Reproduction Hankin TableTop update 01Sep09 (http://www.b16a.gotdns.com/hankin/)

I am not sure I have chosen the best paint for the job, being oil based, so would like to hear from people regarding their experiences with either enamel or otherwise. I'll know how if i'll be happy with the finish tomorrow in the clear of day.

If anyone has ideas on final topcoat layer finish techniques for enamel i'd surely love to hear them.

spriggy
1st September 2009, 10:00 PM
ok Boys & Girls

I am not sure I have chosen the best paint for the job, being oil based, so would like to hear from people regarding their experiences with either enamel or otherwise. I'll know how if i'll be happy with the finish tomorrow in the clear of day.

If anyone has ideas on final topcoat layer finish techniques for enamel i'd surely love to hear them.

How did you apply it? Hard to tell on the pics.
If you rolled it ... enamel is perfect. Add some Terabine to speed up the drying. Some lads thin it slightly as well. I don't. http://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php?t=23951&highlight=roller

Sprayed? Spacies comments.. http://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php?t=18015

dezbaz
1st September 2009, 10:24 PM
Nice attention to detail BB

Lazarus
1st September 2009, 10:33 PM
Spriggy, I hope mine turns out as nice as yours. I think the gloss gives a better finish than the satin, however gloss isnt the look i'm after.

With regards to rollers, I'm using a $9 cheapy from Mitre10. Should I invest in something better quality, if so any suggestions? I dont want to get carried away with expensive rollers if they're going to be throw away...

Do you recommend wet-sanding the final coat, then polish? or just roll it on and let it dry?

Thanks,
BB

Edit: Also, any pointers on how to bend T-mould around those tight curves? what a bitch!

Wob
1st September 2009, 10:43 PM
Nice work BB, just out of interest, what did the powder coating set you back?

Lazarus
1st September 2009, 10:47 PM
Coating was for :
4x control panels (inside and out)
4x glass brackets
2x lid hinges
2x lid clasps

all for a bargain $50.

spriggy
1st September 2009, 11:12 PM
Spriggy, I hope mine turns out as nice as yours. I think the gloss gives a better finish than the satin, however gloss isnt the look i'm after.

With regards to rollers, I'm using a $9 cheapy from Mitre10. Should I invest in something better quality, if so any suggestions? I dont want to get carried away with expensive rollers if they're going to be throw away...

Do you recommend wet-sanding the final coat, then polish? or just roll it on and let it dry?

Thanks,
BB

Edit: Also, any pointers on how to bend T-mould around those tight curves? what a bitch!

$9 for a foam roller :o . I pay'd $5 for my last quality foamy. The blue 'Rokset' Prestige Tradeline rollers preferably or the Grey Bunnings foamys are good (the more expensive one is around $4 I think. Sometimes they sell cheaper ones around $2. Don't get them.)

Just roll-on and let dry. Try to the have the painted surfaces standing vertical when drying to help limit dust settle. As for finish .. like u said .. whatever your after. Plus colors effect how the gloss tands up under normal ambient light. That green I did is quite dull compared to high gloss black for example (:o a bit 2 much bling imo) The High Gloss 'nam will noticeably dull over the first 2 weeks of proper drying anyway.

T-mold corners? Find the center of your bend on the underside ribbed leg of the t-mold and then cut a small 'v' in it. Don't cut the 'v's point too close to the underside of the t-mold face though. Can cause slight transperancy in the T-mold face when moulded around 'tight' corners.

Lazarus
1st September 2009, 11:54 PM
Problem

tried installing the A-VGA card in my P4 and found that there is not signal detected by my LCD.

I then change the Monitor cable to the onboard video and that doesnt work either, so I remove the AGP card - and hey presto, there's a signal....

WTF is going on? any ideas?

EDIT: nevermind, sorted - need a dvi to d-sub connector to make it happen.

Lazarus
2nd September 2009, 07:38 PM
Problems...

Today went outside to check out the first coat of Enamel and to my dismay it was terrible.

This coat had attracted severe dust and just looked average. I also noticed that the surface would score easily as it was still not yet "dry".

Luckily these coats were of the inside faces of the box and not the external sides.
I'm now contemplating going for Acrylic instead, but am not sure if this will be any better?

Help???

Lazarus
3rd September 2009, 10:21 PM
Went and had a chat with the guys from the local Solver store, they recommended I just use spray cans.... $8 a pop for enamel in a can :)

Today was a productive day, spray painting is much easier than a roller.

A few tips for anyone looking for the rippled finish... undercoat with a roller and paint with a spray can - looks great.

Pics updated.
Reproduction Hankin TableTop update 03Sep09 (http://www.b16a.gotdns.com/hankin/)

Crafty
3rd September 2009, 10:28 PM
+1 for the enamel spray can. Did all my metal bits on my cocktail with gloss black and it came up nice...

Lazarus
8th September 2009, 11:24 PM
Updated pics below
Reproduction Hankin TableTop update 08Sep09 (http://www.b16a.gotdns.com/hankin/)

Everything is now painted and laminated - some minor painting on the cabinet lid still required but now almost there.

Now I need to start with the fiddly part - the wiring and electrics....

Hopefully by the weekend she'll be fired up, cant wait!

Foot
9th September 2009, 09:50 AM
Looking good, the final result should be great

spriggy
9th September 2009, 12:16 PM
Nice work m8 :cool:

GORGAR 1
10th September 2009, 02:00 PM
Cannot view you pics..

Peter

Lazarus
10th September 2009, 10:30 PM
Cannot view you pics..

Peter

yea server was down today, try again

Lazarus
23rd September 2009, 10:25 AM
OK so the machine is now working.

There now only remain two issues to iron out and I sure could use some imput from anyone with
a) A Mame setup
b) Mame setup with Arcade VGA.

The two issues are:

1. Resolution of indivudial roms and vertical arrangement of CRT.
I adjusted the monitor settings on Joey's chassis to fit windows XP at 640x288 (non interlaced) resolution, however once I launch the front end, and also the individual roms, specifically, 1942, twin cobra, these dont take up the entire screen. I have adjusted the mame.ini to look for a seperate ini folder in which individual ini files specify the resolution of each game but still no luck. Each game uses different resolutions and occupy different screen space.

2. Blurry and pulsing image
Image under windowsXP, mame and ingame is always blurry - not sharp at all, and I can not really make out any of the text in the ingame mame setup menus, ie where you adjust dip switches and video params by hitting the tab button.

If anyone has any input, I could surely do with a helping hand...

Thanks
BB

Brad
23rd September 2009, 10:40 AM
Make sure that hardware stretching is turned off in Mame and see how you go?

Brad

Lazarus
23rd September 2009, 11:02 AM
it's definitely off.

I used these directly from Ultimarc's site
Configuring Windows Command-Line MAME (MAME.EXE)

NOTE THE DEFAULT SETTINGS OF MAME WILL NOT GIVE GOOD RESULTS. YOU NEED TO DO THIS STEP:
You will need to check/edit the MAME.INI file, which should reside in the Mame folder. If this file does not exist, you will need to run from the command-line:
MAME -CREATECONFIG
After the INI file is created, open with Notepad and check the following (this is from MAME 0108. Earlier versions do not have all these options)

#
# VIDEO OPTIONS
#
video ddraw
numscreens 1
window 0
maximize 1
keepaspect 1
prescale 1
effect none
pause_brightness 0.65
waitvsync 0
syncrefresh 0

#
# DIRECTDRAW-SPECIFIC OPTIONS
#
hwstretch 0

#
# FULL SCREEN OPTIONS
#
triplebuffer 0
switchres 1

Brad
23rd September 2009, 11:23 AM
I had the same issue during a rebuilt and weirdly I changed it to hw stretch on from memory and it worked. Humour me and give it a go?

Brad

Lazarus
23rd September 2009, 12:22 PM
OK I'll give that a go - I assume this is to fix the resolution and screen issue, but what about the fuzzy/blurry screen?

I've asked google about this and it appears to be rather common - but with no real solution offered??!!

Brad
23rd September 2009, 12:41 PM
If you get the right resolution, mame games will look great. Mine do.

Windows looks fuzzy because I'm using 640x480 but like I said previously I only go into windows for rare maintenance so I don't care.

Brad

Lazarus
23rd September 2009, 12:51 PM
ok so just as a comparison, If you set windows resolution to 640x480 or 800x600 interlaced - is text legible? for me it's completely blurred!

Mame interface (Maximus arcade in vertical setting) is very legible, but pulsates somewhat (its livable but just doesnt seem right) and the mame games are blurry.

I did notice however that a game like F1 dream, or wonderboy which are side scrollers are much much clearer to play than the vertical ones like 1942 so perhaps this is in fact a resolution setting issue for each individual game.

I need to mess with it some more.

Another question - is there a database for mame games outlining their native resolutions?

Brad
23rd September 2009, 01:18 PM
At 640 x 480 on my 19" arcade monitor text is fuzzy but readable. Don't get me wrong it's horrible but like I said I don't use windows on it so don't care.

All my games look awesome so when I get home if I get a chance I'll copy my config over and let you have a look.

I use Mamewah in my upright and Mala in my cocktail but the cocktail uses a PC monitor so I can't help you with that.

I have no idea about Maximus Arcade so can't help you but I'd make sure that you use a good arcade resolution layout for it. For resolution databases try maws OR generate your own list using the mameres tool.

http://maws.mameworld.info/maws/

http://mamewah.mameworld.info/downloads.htm

Brad

Lazarus
23rd September 2009, 01:26 PM
good info, thanks.

for vertical games on a vertical monitor, do you rotate the game 90deg or do you rotate the windows desktop 90?

DKong
23rd September 2009, 01:43 PM
good info, thanks.

for vertical games on a vertical monitor, do you rotate the game 90deg or do you rotate the windows desktop 90?

In the MAME ini, you can rotate the screen left or right ( from memory)

Brad
23rd September 2009, 02:03 PM
good info, thanks.

Mala has a feature that rotates for you so you check off using Vertical Monitor, select rotate left or right and it's done.

I have to say this is the first time I've used Mala and its pretty damn awesome.

That being said it essentially makes the mame setting change for you which you can easily do yourself manually

Brad

Lazarus
23rd September 2009, 02:19 PM
I really like Hyperspin, but unfortunately doesnt come in vertical config... what a shame, its the best interface by far

Brad
23rd September 2009, 02:22 PM
I love the look of Hyperspin and was considering putting into my cab rebuild but with most of the Mame Themes yet to be done I deemed it pointless. Very sexy yes but way to many missing =(

Brad

spriggy
23rd September 2009, 03:51 PM
I really like Hyperspin, but unfortunately doesnt come in vertical config... what a shame, its the best interface by far

IMO .. don't mix up interface sexiness, with operational requirements. Yes it may look great ... but if it's CPU intensive (causes emulator slugishness) and glitchy.. then it's useless in my books.
You only look at the interface menuing to pick a game. In the end ... all you want to do is play your favorite arcade games, via an emulator, too as close as the original as possible.
I talk up Mamewah all the time... maybe cause I've used it since it's inception. I've tried a shitload of mame interfaces. Mamewah has always been no 1 for me because of it's balance of nice easy interface with small windows footprint. Sure there are smaller footprints like Gamelauncher or Dos based ... but Mamewahs balance suits me to a tea. Easy to copy and paste to different systems.
As an example... I've just upgraded my old Bartop from an ancient AMD 450mhz to a P4 1.8 with 1gig DDR333. Xplite rev9. Mamewah(& system files)/Mame0.71 was copied over and running in 15-20minutes. Rebuilt a new theme in 40 minutes. Instant Shelled (Instantsheller) in 5 minutes. So far ... played everything I've thrown at it.. including the infamous test of NBA Jam and newer games.

Lazarus
23rd September 2009, 03:57 PM
At the moment, my fuzzy image is the primary concern... frontend second.

Brad
23rd September 2009, 04:02 PM
IMO .. don't mix up interface sexiness, with operational requirements. Yes it may look great ... but if it's CPU intensive (causes emulator slugishness) and glitchy.. then it's useless in my books.
You only look at the interface menuing to pick a game. In the end ... all you want to do is play your favorite arcade games, via an emulator, too as close as the original as possible.
I talk up Mamewah all the time... maybe cause I've used it since it's inception. I've tried a shitload of mame interfaces. Mamewah has always been no 1 for me because of it's balance of nice easy interface with small windows footprint. Sure there are smaller footprints like Gamelauncher or Dos based ... but Mamewahs balance suits me to a tea. Easy to copy and paste to different systems.
As an example... I've just upgraded my old Bartop from an ancient AMD 450mhz to a P4 1.8 with 1gig DDR333. Xplite rev9. Mamewah(& system files)/Mame0.71 was copied over and running in 15-20minutes. Rebuilt a new theme in 40 minutes. Instant Shelled (Instantsheller) in 5 minutes. So far ... played everything I've thrown at it.. including the infamous test of NBA Jam and newer games.

Agreed as I too have used Mamewah since inception and still do on my upright. It's no good for vertical monitors OR cocktails too without a LOT of dicking around with software so I use Mala for that.

Hypersping IS resource intensive but it's still sexy ;)

Brad

Lazarus
23rd September 2009, 04:48 PM
So who's going to ship me some fancy custom MALA skins for my vertical tabletop?:unsure:p

Brad
23rd September 2009, 05:01 PM
So who's going to ship me some fancy custom MALA skins for my vertical tabletop?:unsure:p

I'll send you the one I use if you like? Leaving work shortly so I'll see how I go.

Cheers,
Brad

Lazarus
23rd September 2009, 05:04 PM
you keep your mame skins at work? lol

Brad
23rd September 2009, 07:02 PM
LOL no I mean it's at home so I couldn't do it straightaway.

I used this guys one for my vertical cocktail cab.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLysvlEAmBw

http://www.johnsarcade.com/

It's 25meg as the archive contains a lot of the marquees required else I would have attached it here.

My current mame.ini for Mamewah attached also

Cheers,
brad

spriggy
23rd September 2009, 07:55 PM
Agreed as I too have used Mamewah since inception and still do on my upright. It's no good for vertical monitors OR cocktails too without a LOT of dicking around with software so I use Mala for that.

Hypersping IS resource intensive but it's still sexy ;)

Brad

point taken

Mickey Juice
23rd September 2009, 08:00 PM
LOL no I mean it's at home so I couldn't do it straightaway.

I used this guys one for my vertical cocktail cab.

YouTube - My Vertical MALA MAME Frontend custom Layout with video and marquees (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLysvlEAmBw)

http://www.johnsarcade.com/

It's 25meg as the archive contains a lot of the marquees required else I would have attached it here.

My current mame.ini for Mamewah attached also

Cheers,
brad

Looks good.
Tho I'm not sure if all those lists he has would be n00b friendly

Brad
23rd September 2009, 08:53 PM
Depends really. I have 2 custom lists in Mamewah apart from the complete list.

Favourites which are generally all my faves. Approx 300
2 Player - Which are all the 2 player games either Co-Op or versus at the same time. This good for visitors.

Switching between the lists in 1 button press. Mala can be set the same way.

Brad

Lazarus
30th September 2009, 08:11 PM
Reproduction Hankin TableTop update 30Sep09 (http://www.b16a.gotdns.com/hankin/)

Thought i'd post an update on progress so far. Arcade is now working, and only outstanding items are now:
1. Order Glass
2. Minor paint around door and lid.
3. Wire up coin mech (not fussed, was always for looks only anyway)
4. Install T-mound

and it's finished.

Attached are some updated pics, or take a look at the above link for entire project.

Thanks everyone for the help along the way - very helpful bunch of people!

spriggy
30th September 2009, 08:36 PM
Well done m8. Nice job :cool:
Nice feeling to sit back and admire your own handy work isn't it? Addictive!

Lazarus
30th September 2009, 09:08 PM
it sure is, and the learning experience is invaluable.

cejay
1st October 2009, 08:44 AM
Wow!! That is a fantastic reproduction. I love the Hankin style!! Well done.

Now... where's mine? :P

Lazarus
1st October 2009, 09:03 AM
Thanks Bru..

mate, if there's enough interest I may consider cutting kits for you guys. Word of warning tho, given theres so many bits on these they tend to get expensive.

Having said that however, given a lot of you guys are crafty - it might be worth just cutting the wood for a small price and you guys finishing them off...

just a thought.

Wob
1st October 2009, 09:19 AM
Look real good mate, can't wait to see it with the finishing touches

maxpower
1st October 2009, 03:31 PM
Thanks Bru..

mate, if there's enough interest I may consider cutting kits for you guys. Word of warning tho, given theres so many bits on these they tend to get expensive.

Having said that however, given a lot of you guys are crafty - it might be worth just cutting the wood for a small price and you guys finishing them off...

just a thought.

Nice job mate. I'd get a kit from you if you go ahead!!

Brad
2nd October 2009, 04:13 PM
It's beautiful....nice job =)

Brad

Lazarus
16th October 2009, 07:09 PM
Glass was picked up today, all excited until I got home, where to my HORROR, the shop made it 5mm TOO SHORT in each axis.

YOU WOULD THINK THESE PLACES CHECK THEIR WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NOT HAPPY JAN

Crafty
16th October 2009, 07:27 PM
Excellent work on the machine.. Shame about the glass, I know how you feel excitement then frustration......

Absolutely brilliant repro though. Will be trying this one day.....

Hmmmm well I would like too....See how i go.:)

Lazarus
16th October 2009, 07:51 PM
Ill give them a chance to make it right before I publicly shame them...

As for your attempt to making a hankin, let me know if you do, i'll give you hand if/when you need one.