PDA

View Full Version : FreeDOS 1.0 released

elvis
5th September 2006, 10:28 AM
FreeDOS is (as the name suggests) a completely free (GPL) MSDOS replacement. After spending a long time in beta, it's finally hit a 1.0 release:

http://www.freedos.org/

FreeDOS is written from scratch, from the ground up to be a 100% compatible MSDOS replacement.

Improvements over normal MSDOS include:
- Full LBA32 support for large hard disks (ie: more ROMs)
- UDMA and XDMA drivers for full speed disk access
- Compiled to take advantage of PPro/MMX/SSE/3DNow! if available (not necessary - it will still work on a good old 386-SX)
- Built in CDROM driver
- Installable via CDROM

If you're a DOS user for your emulation systems, check this release out.

The Pinny Parlour
5th September 2006, 12:41 PM
FreeDOS is (as the name suggests) a completely free (GPL) MSDOS replacement. After spending a long time in beta, it's finally hit a 1.0 release:

http://www.freedos.org/

FreeDOS is written from scratch, from the ground up to be a 100% compatible MSDOS replacement.

Improvements over normal MSDOS include:
- Full LBA32 support for large hard disks (ie: more ROMs)
- UDMA and XDMA drivers for full speed disk access
- Compiled to take advantage of PPro/MMX/SSE/3DNow! if available (not necessary - it will still work on a good old 386-SX)
- Built in CDROM driver
- Installable via CDROM

If you're a DOS user for your emulation systems, check this release out.

That is VERY handy to know. Thanks for sharing that. I can feel a redo of my mame cab coming on.

RetroBorg
5th September 2006, 12:53 PM
Thanks for the heads up.

spot
5th September 2006, 01:02 PM
thats awesome!! thx for the heads up, been waiting for this.

Ric
5th September 2006, 02:00 PM
will definitely try it out - have never liked DOSBOX

DevoDave
5th September 2006, 03:02 PM
I'll refresh my vertical MAME cab with it if it's any good.

(If it helps get SoundBlaster working nicely then I'm all for it!!)

Davefjedi
5th September 2006, 03:07 PM
I'll refresh my vertical MAME cab with it if it's any good.

(If it helps get SoundBlaster working nicely then I'm all for it!!)

what soundblaster card??

DevoDave
6th September 2006, 11:57 AM
I think from memory it is an SBLIVE PCI board. It was a bitch to get going properly in DOS.

elvis
6th September 2006, 04:02 PM
I think from memory it is an SBLIVE PCI board. It was a bitch to get going properly in DOS.

PCI cards in general have poor DOS support due to their high IRQ allocation by the system BIOS.

Try and find an ISA card if you can. They'll generally be assigned a low IRQ (5 or 7 most frequently - if you have a system with onboard parallel port, disable it to free up IRQ 7) and your general SET BLASTER environment variables will work better, and be picked up properly by DOS software that expects an IRQ of 7 or less.

(This is the part where I'd tell everyone to use Linux, but I promised myself I wouldn't do that for the next month).

DevoDave
6th September 2006, 04:45 PM
Agreed. However ISA motherboards are getting scarce.

I'm now leaning towards older CPU/Mobos on DOS just for vertical games, and running another cabinet with a bleeding-edge CPU on Windows for the horizontal's.

elvis
6th September 2006, 04:52 PM
I'm now leaning towards older CPU/Mobos on DOS just for vertical games, and running another cabinet with a bleeding-edge CPU on Windows for the horizontal's.
I've kinda done that, speaking hardware wise. I have one faster MAME cab for horizontal games (AthlonXP 2000+) and one slower cab for vertial games (1GHz something-or-rather). Software-wise both run Linux, again for the out-of-the-box support for PCI audio, network cards, newer chipsets, etc.

I play some more recent verticals (Gunbird2 and DoDonPachi) so I needed a bit more grunt than your average Pacman/Donkey-Kong cab. But for one of those I'd probably look at FreeDOS on a crappy old 486/Pentium board I have lying around.

I recently had the pleasure of benchmarking a brand new Conroe Intel Core 2 Duo Exteme machine clocked and a mind bending 3GHz (remembering that these things perform roughly twice as fast clock-for-clock as a P4/PentiumD). All the 3D games performed full speed (except propcycl, which nobody plays anyway). Radian Silvergun on Sega STV hardware, Street Fighter EX on Sony/Namco ZN hardware, even Cruisn' USA - all full speed with frames to spare. Very impressive. Pity about the $3k price tag on the barebons bx, but oh well. :)

http://benchmark.mameworld.net/

The Pinny Parlour
28th September 2006, 01:01 PM
Anyone tried to setup a mame sys with FreeDOS 1.0 yet?

Davefjedi
28th September 2006, 01:30 PM
Anyone tried to setup a mame sys with FreeDOS 1.0 yet?
Im planing on doing so very shortly will let u know how i go

spot
28th September 2006, 01:57 PM
i have install freedos on a p3 933 - just have to get around to putting mame on it.
also i am running it off a Compact Flash card via an IDE adapter.
freedos boots very quickly and will be quicker once i redo the autoexec and config files to remove stuff i don't need.

The Pinny Parlour
28th September 2006, 04:25 PM
Sweet. Keep me updated. Thanks :)