PDA

View Full Version : First pinball purchase help

feeras
4th September 2006, 07:12 AM
Hi all,

Just need some advice. I've never been a pinball person but have enjoyed software pinball from time to time. Now I've decided to take the plunge and purchase my first pinball and have been eyeing a Firepower pinball:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=016&item=260025844066&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=016&item=260025846688&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

As you can see it comes in two parts and two separated auctions (which irritates me somewhat). Also, the header does not have the backglass. I've read great things (including Wotto's review on his dad's machine) about this particular pinball and from the ebay description suggest it's in reasonable condition.

Could anyone please advise the condition of the whole pinball, what is a reasonable price I should be bidding at, how much it'll cost to bring it up to scratch, or whether I'm over my head here as I'm a complete pinball newbie...

At the moment I'm going at $1000 for the whole lot.

Appreciate any(!) help here,

Virgil Tracy
4th September 2006, 07:19 AM
I would recommend you start with a fully working pinball until you get to know them. $1000 not working plus it needs a backglass, I think you would be past the price of a decent running pinny buy the time you are finished.

Thats my 2 cents worth.

DialogPimp
4th September 2006, 07:54 AM
Probably not a good idea for a first machine. It's be a good project machine but you need to walk before you can run. Budget $1500 if you can and get something where you can learn the ropes by changing bulbs, coils etc first.

feeras
4th September 2006, 08:07 AM
Thanks for the replies! Just wanted to clarify, $1000 was the figure mentioned to get the items on ebay. I'm certain it'd blowout when I need to fix it up.

Ric
4th September 2006, 08:50 AM
the backglass will be the problem

I believe someone else on the forum is looking for one too - you would be looking possibly at getting one from the US - where shipping alone is US$100

from briefly looking at the photos the game looks like it is in decent cosmetic condition

however, like other said for a first time project complete is the key - nothnig more frustarting to get a game going only not to have a backglass - took me nearly 18 months to source a backglass (eventually got it from San Francisco) for a project of mine

jumpydoctor
4th September 2006, 06:56 PM
I think Virgil has hit the nail on the head. Keeping a fully working one fully working is the best way to get your head around them. Start there and build into project pinnies. I have seen a lot of first time project pinnies "go South" without much progress.

Mickey Juice
4th September 2006, 07:06 PM
I think Virgil has hit the nail on the head. Keeping a fully working one fully working is the best way to get your head around them. Start there and build into project pinnies. I have seen a lot of first time project pinnies "go South" without much progress.

Yup. Even working pins need to be maintained.
"Pinball: If it's not broken, it will be!"

feeras
4th September 2006, 07:34 PM
Thanks all. I'll keep an eye out for a working machine. It seems now the Firepower is out of my reach as bidding has (nearly) surpassed my budgeted $1000 mark.

Thanks again!

4_ur_amusement
5th October 2006, 11:00 PM
if your still searching for one in a few weeks i will have afew thta need work for around the $300 mak

kramer
6th October 2006, 12:16 AM
might be worth mentioning boxerdogforever is a member on here

feeras
6th October 2006, 07:00 AM
4_ur_amusement,

Definitely interested! Let me know when they come in.

Cheers,