PDA

View Full Version : Your choice of 5 SS pins

knight76
5th July 2009, 10:08 PM
So with the sale (hopefully) of my GT and a bit of an influx of cash and space. I am looking at changing my garage in to a bit of an arcade area.

I already have rollerball's excellent Road Show and would love 4-5 more really nice pins.

So, with this in mind, and sticking to SS pins only, what would be your 5 pins of choice? Money is no object etc etc. But you can only have 5.
Now, I already have a pretty good idea what pins I am after, but maybe something is out there that I don't know of and may expand my list, hence the purpose of this thread. To get some real pin heads opinions on their pics.

Edit for clarification. - DMD is included as I already have one.

DKong
5th July 2009, 10:10 PM
Mate PinBot is high on any ones list right now:p

daics3522
5th July 2009, 10:18 PM
Money is no object etc etc. But you can only have 5.

If MONEY was NO object I would seriously be considering any of these:

Batman Dark Knight
Monster Bash
Medieval Madness
Circus Voltaire
Family Guy
Addams Family
Indiana Jones GOLD
BLACK Spiderman
LOTR
Pirates of the Carribean
Simpsons Party Pinball

GEEE
5th July 2009, 10:27 PM
Lotr
cv
mm
tz
st:tng

DKong
5th July 2009, 10:32 PM
If MONEY was NO object I would seriously be considering any of these:

Batman Dark Knight
Monster Bash
Medieval Madness
Circus Voltaire
Family Guy
Addams Family
Indiana Jones GOLD
BLACK Spiderman
LOTR
Pirates of the Carribean unitionated
Simpsons Party Pinball

Um SS games:unsure which in Laymans terms means pre DMD after EM or for the Arse clowns unknown

knight76
5th July 2009, 10:53 PM
Um SS games:unsure which in Laymans terms means pre DMD after EM or for the Arse clowns unknown

See, im a pinball newb really, so to me you have EM and SS. So I guess I am looking at things similar to the Road show and simpsons party pinball etc. LOTR etc.

daics3522
5th July 2009, 10:54 PM

:lol:lol Didn't even pay attention to the SS bit.......... :lol:lol

See, im a pinball newb really, so to me you have EM and SS. So I guess I am looking at things similar to the Road show and simpsons party pinball etc. LOTR etc.

So then this list does actually count then......... :p:p

Ballypinball
5th July 2009, 11:23 PM
Classic Ballys

Playboy
Strikes & Spares
Six Million Dollar Man
Fathom
Eight Ball Deluxe

or Williams

Gorgar
Black Knight
Firepower

DKong
6th July 2009, 12:01 AM

Well in a nutshell SS are game's after EM and Pre DMD, correct me if I am wrong, pinball big balls:unsure

Fish Tales
6th July 2009, 05:21 AM
Own at least one classic, and then fill with DMDs.

hamish_nz
6th July 2009, 05:25 AM
Black Night
Flash Gordon
Haunted House
Hulk (only cos I love the artwork)
Eight Ball Deluxe

+ 1 FH did not really count it but it is

humpalot
6th July 2009, 05:30 AM
Haunted House
Funhouse
Flash Gordon
Joker Poker
High Speed

shootar75
6th July 2009, 06:35 AM
champion pub
medievil madness
Twilight Zone
Attack from Mars
Kiss

ask me tomorrow and that list may change :unsure

stuba
6th July 2009, 06:57 AM
Mm
wh20
sttng
bally playboy
cftbl

shansta
6th July 2009, 07:20 AM
Scared Stiff .
Circus Voltaire.
Dr Dude.
Simpsons Pinball Party
The Adams Family

OR, do what I did and check out IPDB's top 100 list - If you can't find inspiration in THAT list - check for a pulse....

Good luck - your shed should be pretty tasty by the time you are finished! :cool:

S.

knight76
6th July 2009, 08:17 AM
DMD is allowed and actually encouraged.

Beast
6th July 2009, 08:41 AM
TAF
TZ
ToM
MM
MB

If money was no object....<_<

And throw in a KISS or 6MDM for a SS.

shansta
6th July 2009, 09:03 AM
DMD is allowed and actually encouraged.

Ahhh blonde, senior moment! :redface

knight76
6th July 2009, 09:25 AM
Ahhh blonde, senior moment! :redface

Lol, EM - SS - DMD = NFI :unsure

I like bangs and whistles, animation on the score display, plenty of action and things to do, always something happening type pins.

shansta
6th July 2009, 10:12 AM
Lol, EM - SS - DMD = NFI :unsure

I wrote that in a report at work once - manager came (full of attitude) and asked me what "NFI" meant? As in "Machine stopped - no fault found... NFI?"

I told him it stood for "Need Further Information".... ;)

Playboy
Strikes & Spares
Six Million Dollar Man
Fathom
Eight Ball Deluxe
Gorgar
Black Knight
Firepower

Ahem, will they be in a container anytime soon Wayne? Please?

I'll do your housework for a month! (been doing my own for 3 months to try and get the wife on side - so no stress!) :lol

DARBS
6th July 2009, 11:16 AM
If money is no object - then go Nutz

But for great Pins at reasonable prices that I have played then -

Funhouse
Theatre Of Magic
White Water
Star Trek TNG
Terminator 2

Falcon
6th July 2009, 11:54 AM
Medieval Madness
Simpsons Pinball Party
Cactus Canyon
Funhouse
8 Ball Deluxe

Hard to just get 5, need more. :lol

hamish_nz
6th July 2009, 12:23 PM
I confused :unsure SS

EM = Electro mechanical 1930-1970s
SS = Solid State 1970 -1990
DMD = Dot Matrix Display 1990 - present

pinmike
6th July 2009, 02:15 PM
money no object!! i like your thinking :cool:

mm
tspp
totan
tz
tom

so there will be a cheap rs for sale after you get those new pins lol :laugh: :lol

Martyj
6th July 2009, 03:08 PM
My choices for SS

1. Fathom
2. Firepower
3. Black Hole
4. Medusa
5. Xenon

knight76
6th July 2009, 03:15 PM
money no object!! i like your thinking :cool:

mm
tspp
totan
tz
tom

so there will be a cheap rs for sale after you get those new pins lol :laugh: :lol

Nah, these will be in addition to the RS. Sorry mate!

I confused :unsure SS

EM = Electro mechanical 1930-1970s
SS = Solid State 1970 -1990
DMD = Dot Matrix Display 1990 - present

Ok, so I admit now, I know little about the acronyms of pinball life.

My main focus admittedly is on DMD, I was under the impression and had read previously that there were only two types of pins, EM and SS. You live and learn I guess :redface

arcadus
6th July 2009, 03:39 PM

My main focus admittedly is on DMD, I was under the impression and had read previously that there were only two types of pins, EM and SS. You live and learn I guess :redface

SS is a DMD without the DMD.
DMD is SS with a DMD.

There, that should clarify it..:D

rod71
6th July 2009, 03:41 PM
Nah, these will be in addition to the RS. Sorry mate!

Well technically DMD pins are Solid State, so ya know :)

MrMaloo
7th July 2009, 08:29 AM
Ok Just to clarify the terms in my opinion knight76 .

There are 3 main types of pins as you know . EM , SS , and DMD .

The easiest way to distinguish each type is by the score display:

EM (Electro-Mechanical):
The score reels are an actual mechanical reel with the numbers 0 - 9 on them .
eg. http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=828&picno=14423

SS (Solid State) :
The score display is a digital display much like a digital clock .
eg. http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=1062&picno=26081

DMD (Dot Matrix Display ) :
The score display is on a Dot Matrix Screen along with game animations etc.
eg. http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=1561&picno=14849

When you refer to wanting SS machines for your shed I think you may be actually meaning DMD's (like RoadShow).
If money was no option I would check out some of these titles from their respective categories:

SS:
- Kiss
- Playboy
- Gorgar
- Six Million Dollar Man
- Harlem Globetrotters

DMD:
- Medieval Madness
- Monster Bash
- Indiana Jones (the earlier Williams version .. Not the later Stern one)
- Twilight Zone
- Cactus Canyon

Some pins that are liked by some are disliked by others so your best bet would be to get around to some meets or pay some of the commercial guys a visit and play as many as you can before making a decision . After all you want a pin that you are actually going to enjoy.

Cheers.

hamish_nz
7th July 2009, 08:40 AM
yes technically DMD are Solid State :p

DMD my wish list if space was not issue :laugh:

MM
LOTR
RFM
SC
TOM

Railways
9th July 2009, 07:30 PM
Medevial madness , The Addams family , Lord of the rings , Creature from the B/ lagoon , Williams Indy Jones. Played all 5 and have owned 3 which were only sold due to my greedy nature;) ( I want them all at once - LOL). As far as SS goes I've gotta say you should have at least one to break it up I feel. There have been some good suggestions, i.e Kiss , playboy , strikes & spares , Fathom , Medusa for E.G.

TheGuru
9th July 2009, 08:27 PM
you'd also need to take into consideration the playfield condition. If you want something nice then you'd need to stay away from early pinballs that didn't use a playfield mylar and/or diamond coating. That means all early Bally games are out (not to mention most are battery damaged beyond repair).
Does anyone actually have an early Bally 6800-based game with a perfect playfield and mint PCBs? I don't think it exists :D

I've repaired/played 100's of pinballs from all the main manufacturers.
The 5 games I would buy are...
Back To The Future
Addams Family (this is way over-rated though)
Medievel Madness (ditto)
Firepower or Firepower II (can't remember which is better)
Funhouse (great game but, oh, the playfield)

Unfortunately I've never seen a Funhouse playfield in good condition.
I have a Bally-Midway Eight Ball Champ (nice playfield and mint PCBs/backglass) and very easy to repair but the game isn't terribly exciting to play.

I'd also stay away from early Gottlieb SS pinballs too (System1, Sinbad/Hulk/Cleopatra etc). You'd end up having to buy a replacement CPU board for sure and the single level pinballs are a bit boring.
Haunted House is a classic for sure, but as with most pinballs nowadays the prices are just stupid. There's no way anyone is going to pay $10k for a Medievel Madness or Addams Family no matter how good it is, unless money really is no object, meaning you'd have to be earning at least $200k p/a to justify spending up to $50k on 5 pinballs. And that's assuming you can actually get hold of them. What you want and what you get are totally different....

Pinmem
9th July 2009, 08:57 PM
Not in Any Order

Creature from the black Lagoon
Jurrasic Park
Tales of the Arabian Nights
Star Trek Next Generation
Star Trek 25th Anniversary

DKong
9th July 2009, 11:17 PM
you'd also need to take into consideration the playfield condition. If you want something nice then you'd need to stay away from early pinballs that didn't use a playfield mylar and/or diamond coating. That means all early Bally games are out (not to mention most are battery damaged beyond repair).
Does anyone actually have an early Bally 6800-based game with a perfect playfield and mint PCBs? I don't think it exists :D

I've repaired/played 100's of pinballs from all the main manufacturers.
The 5 games I would buy are...
Back To The Future
Addams Family (this is way over-rated though)
Medievel Madness (ditto)
Firepower or Firepower II (can't remember which is better)
Funhouse (great game but, oh, the playfield)

Unfortunately I've never seen a Funhouse playfield in good condition.
I have a Bally-Midway Eight Ball Champ (nice playfield and mint PCBs/backglass) and very easy to repair but the game isn't terribly exciting to play.

I'd also stay away from early Gottlieb SS pinballs too (System1, Sinbad/Hulk/Cleopatra etc). You'd end up having to buy a replacement CPU board for sure and the single level pinballs are a bit boring.
Haunted House is a classic for sure, but as with most pinballs nowadays the prices are just stupid. There's no way anyone is going to pay $10k for a Medievel Madness or Addams Family no matter how good it is, unless money really is no object, meaning you'd have to be earning at least $200k p/a to justify spending up to $50k on 5 pinballs. And that's assuming you can actually get hold of them. What you want and what you get are totally different....

Hmm, you mentioned Back to Future Pinball at the the top of your list, any reason why. As no one mentions that game and may be able to get one myself, but have never played one. Need more information ;)

pinmike
10th July 2009, 04:12 PM
hmmmm..... tough choice..:cool:

shootar75
10th July 2009, 05:40 PM

asshole :p

:worship:

DARBS
10th July 2009, 11:46 PM

Wicked

Ando77
13th July 2009, 08:07 PM
Black Night
Flash Gordon
Haunted House
Hulk (only cos I love the artwork)
Eight Ball Deluxe

+ 1 FH did not really count it but it is

SS Agree with Hamish
- Hulk, sorry mate swap with firepower :D

DMD

Thats easy :p

MM
MB
SS
LOTR
AFM

TheGuru
18th July 2009, 10:31 AM
Hmm, you mentioned Back to Future Pinball at the the top of your list, any reason why. As no one mentions that game and may be able to get one myself, but have never played one. Need more information ;)

I played one to death about 7 years ago. I am a fan of the BTTF movies. The sound is great and the game play isn't too bad either :D
The only worry with those is the score display. 16 digit alpha-numeric thing IIRC, not common, so if that goes bung you're up a creek without a paddle. I recall some years ago Mr Pinball had spares of those but not sure if they are still available.
The first thing I did when I got my Eight Ball Champ pinball was buy 4 new score displays and turn down the voltage setting :D

Bendragon
18th July 2009, 07:10 PM
Well...I've got my STTNG on the way so the other 4 would be in order.

Scared Stiff
Adams Family
Twilight Zone
Tales from the Crypt

Not so much for the playability, as it's been years and years since I've played any of them, but more the themes and memories they would bring back.