PDA

View Full Version : New 3GS Iphone

Ballypinball
4th July 2009, 05:39 PM
just pickup up my new IPHONE 32 meg today

t has everything under the sun

Dutchy
4th July 2009, 06:18 PM
Just happened to need a new phone (and provider) last week, now the proud owner of a 16GB, never been near an iPhone, or an apple before, but I'm impressed.
I'm going broke at the App shop though ! :cool:

gints
4th July 2009, 06:31 PM
got a iPhone 3G on virgins cheaper $45 plan cause the new one came out, and I'm loving it. Didnt want to become a fanboi but I cant help it. Its jailbroken and awesome

Brad
4th July 2009, 06:34 PM
:sleep

Brad
LOL

Krondorf
4th July 2009, 07:07 PM
I just bought a second hand white 16Gb 3G.
I love it, but i don't know what else i can do with it..
iMame maybe lol?

Bendragon
4th July 2009, 07:18 PM
I love mine...people write them off saying stuff like....all I need is a phone that rings..well that's fine, but I'd prefer to have a pocket pc...and as much as I hate apple...it's an amazing phone

Foot
4th July 2009, 11:25 PM
Apparently they overheat and shit themselves

narf_
5th July 2009, 01:50 PM
just got a nokia 5110

wow it has snake on it :lol

Daisjun
5th July 2009, 02:02 PM
I find most of the hataz have hardly used one. It has the best web browser I've ever seen for a phone, the ipod capability is great and it's as sexy as ****. If you're considering buying one then I definitely encourage you to do it.

Ballypinball
6th July 2009, 10:00 PM
OK i give up.

how do i get a downloaded ringtone from itunes to work on my phone

Regardless of downlosding it to the phone from itunes or direct to my PC

I don't seem to be able to work out how to make it work

Bendragon
6th July 2009, 10:16 PM
http://www.intomobile.com/2008/10/07/iphone-ringtones-create-free-iphone-ringtones-using-itunes-8.html

Make your own from your own songs, copy them into a folder and add them into the Ringtone library - I think you can only have 30 seconds worth, and it loops if required.
There is a vid that I might have, explains it all in real time and I just paused it where required to get mine done - Takes about 30 secs to do them once you know what you're doing.

YouTube - How To Create iPhone Ringtones Using iTunes
There it is, very easy.

Ballypinball
6th July 2009, 10:35 PM
cant get anything into my ringtone folders at all

Bendragon
6th July 2009, 10:42 PM
Did you save them in the right format and save them into somewhere ?
If so, just add them like you would a normal "song" and they will show up in the ringtone folder.
Mine is playing silly buggers now....looks like the last firmware upgrade might have changed things...I'll have a dig around (Edit, works fine for me)

Something else, you'll need to go into your phone while it's connected to itunes and sync them on the Ringtones tab.

Ballypinball
6th July 2009, 11:16 PM
My iphone does not have a ringtones tab

only via settings/sounds/ringtones and only has the default ones

Bendragon
6th July 2009, 11:23 PM
http://img44.imageshack.us/img44/703/iphoney.jpg

Note the Tab marked Ringtone and also the ringtone label under the "Radio" button.

Ballypinball
6th July 2009, 11:29 PM
cant get a ringtone into any of the ringtone folders
even ringtones downloaded from itunes

they all just sit in the downloaded section

Bendragon
6th July 2009, 11:32 PM
Hrm...I'll be honest...the last thing I'm ever going to do it pay for music or ringtones...so I'll always find a way to make my own, or get them from somewhere.
I've got no idea how to do it properly :P

shansta
7th July 2009, 07:51 AM
just pickup up my new IPHONE 32 meg today

t has everything under the sun

AND, you never showed it to me yesterday! Barstard! :(
I have 2gig card in my 6110nav - chockas full of all the funny ringtones etc etc. Could have bluetoothed them to you!

I will have to come down and have a coffee - on a quiet day... (do you have them?!)

P.S: Thanks for the chat Wayne, As always - very enlightening to the stupid!

S.

Something else, you'll need to go into your phone while it's connected to itunes and sync them on the Ringtones tab.

Hang on - So he needs to tell the IPhone to sync with ITunes? Shouldn't the sync button on ITunes do that?

Wayne: Was the Itunes install fresh? If you have an old version from owning an IPod as well - you probably need to uninstall and go again...
If you are really stuck - you have my mobile, I could call in on the way to work again?

Bendragon
7th July 2009, 08:56 AM
It will sync them, but only if you've clicked the radio button telling itunes to sync them. I think the default is to not sync stuff like that, just like contacts and calendar stuff.

Strydr
7th July 2009, 09:22 AM
If the ringtone is in the correct format, (m4r i think) import them from your pc into itunes.

Make sure you select Sync ringtones, sync the phone and they should appear as selectable under your Sounds settings.

Here is where i get my ringtones from. Good for music ones, just search by artist.

http://audiko.net/

spot
7th July 2009, 09:27 AM
i use iringer - it will chop an mp3 down to the required 30 secs.
and it will save in the correct format in the correct folder.
you then go into itunes and then sync it on.

Strydr
7th July 2009, 09:27 AM
Sorry to repeat what others have suggested, it's still early and I didn't see page 2. Doph !:)

Also Wayne, make sure that under settings, sounds, Lock Sounds is set to off, otherwise syncing will not add the new ringtones.:D

stuba
7th July 2009, 02:43 PM
cant get a ringtone into any of the ringtone folders
even ringtones downloaded from itunes

they all just sit in the downloaded section

check the fuses and the connectors first..

Ballypinball
8th July 2009, 01:03 AM
OK so the itunes ringtones are not 4r type, so i have a converter that converts mp3 to 4r and they work fine.

still need to work out how to convert the itunes ones

shansta
8th July 2009, 09:09 AM
IF they are not protected using DRM (Copy protection).

Right click on the ringtone in ITunes and select "show in windows explorer".

Once you know where ITunes stashes the file - it should be simple to convert using the program you already have?

Any in particular you after? I got hundreds of the things I D/L'd from Nokia's old MOSH website...

Womble
8th July 2009, 10:05 AM
My office rolled out the original 16GB iPhone 3Gs a while ago now, can honestly say it is an awesome piece of kit. The GPS, web, email sync and tethering have all saved my arse more than once while out on the road. Yes you have to charge it every night, and there is no MMS but I can easily forgive it all that.

spot
8th July 2009, 10:15 AM
there is MMS with the 3.0 firmware.

Bendragon
8th July 2009, 10:24 AM
Yah, 3.0 = me now having a "proper" phone
I do hate the battery "life" on them though, a real letdown. But for all the positives about it, it's 100% WIN in my books.

A lot of people really seem to hate them, and I can't for the life of me find out why. I've asked the question, and one mate said it's a brick, and far too large...I asked what he had, and it was a Blackberry Bold, when I brought it to his attention that the iPhone is 5mm smaller overall (total dimensions) he didn't know what to say.

Womble
8th July 2009, 10:32 AM
I think a lot of the hating stems from the theory that apple = overpriced, and that as it is expensive it must be a cunning rip off. Haven't upgraded to 3 yet, hacked an app on mine to get tethering working without the carrier knowing. Will put 3 on when I can do the same.

Brad
8th July 2009, 11:03 AM
As someone who isn't a fan of apple let me clear it up.

It's usually I.T literate people who hate apple and its almost universally because of the following:

Ipods are a piece of marketing shit:

- Overpriced
- DRM
- iTunes is a dodgy piece of shit unless you put it on a mac.
- They've dumbed down their products so much that most knowledgable people have difficulty doing much with them
- replacing a battery anyone?
-iTunes store, don't get me started.

The only reason Ipods are the default purchase for most is not sexiness, reliability or a good choice is that it became trendy to own one. thats enough to piss any smart person off.

iPhone - inherits a bad rap from the above
- Add the immediate lack of MMS and copy/paste/flash etc and it was an easy mark.

I have no issue with the design....damn sexy phone and the rest but it's riding a wave of anti-apple propaganda inherited from the iPod.

Honestly for me personally the only thing I think Apple are superior to anything else on the market is their design. The rest mostly is overhyped marketing. It reminds me of the 80's and nike runners. You can get all the iphones functionality on other devices without lockdowns or dodgy software. In fact a lot of it was available before apple

Brad

Bendragon
8th July 2009, 11:32 AM
As much as I hate apple for pretty much most of the above...
Please, point me at the person that pays for music, and I'll keep my mouth closed as to not insult them...so DRM point it moot.
If you know what you're doing, you can jailbreak an iphone in under 5 mins and SSH into it and run from there doing anything you want.
At first I hated Itunes...and to some point, still do...it's nowhere as good as Winamp and some other ones out there MMJB was good too. But I'm starting to warm to it a little more (probably due to lack of options)

Overpriced - hell yeah
Battery replacement....GRRRR

As for Apple computers...they are for 2 people and 2 people only... Students and teachers - I like to play a game, when I see someone using an apple, I ask them what they're studying...I think I've only had one person not in school or teaching haha

Side note...I want a HTC touch Pro...but can't stand Windows Mobile

Brad
8th July 2009, 11:41 AM
My point is that you shouldn't have to put up with that and why people choose to is almost exclusively because it's a damn sexy looking phone that all their friends have OR it's been marketed damn well.

Why should you have to jailbreak your phone to make it work like normal? Mention SSH to the average joe :o

Why should you need to send your ipod back to a service centre to replace a battery...something most sub-normal people have been able to do for over 50 years? This alone is purely a money making scheme and nothing else.

I think you've missed the main point I made. For the average joe who knows nor cares nothing for these sorts of techie details, what I've stated means nothing.

To the people who do know, they have to hack the phone and void warranty to make is useable in a normal way. That my friend is pretty ****ed up.

Brad

dazza1975
8th July 2009, 01:18 PM
i dont have the newest iphone but the one before and have the lates official iphone 3.0 firmware i think it is. can you jailbreak this? If so how? and do you recommend doing it

spacies
8th July 2009, 06:54 PM
As someone who isn't a fan of apple let me clear it up.

It's usually I.T literate people who hate apple and its almost universally because of the following:

Ipods are a piece of marketing shit:

- Overpriced
- DRM
- iTunes is a dodgy piece of shit unless you put it on a mac.
- They've dumbed down their products so much that most knowledgable people have difficulty doing much with them
- replacing a battery anyone?
-iTunes store, don't get me started.

The only reason Ipods are the default purchase for most is not sexiness, reliability or a good choice is that it became trendy to own one. thats enough to piss any smart person off.

iPhone - inherits a bad rap from the above
- Add the immediate lack of MMS and copy/paste/flash etc and it was an easy mark.

I have no issue with the design....damn sexy phone and the rest but it's riding a wave of anti-apple propaganda inherited from the iPod.

Honestly for me personally the only thing I think Apple are superior to anything else on the market is their design. The rest mostly is overhyped marketing. It reminds me of the 80's and nike runners. You can get all the iphones functionality on other devices without lockdowns or dodgy software. In fact a lot of it was available before apple

Brad

+1 and throw in the price of the Macs which are also hideously overpriced junkers.

Apples marketing guys have sucked in a LOT of people.
iphones, ipods and imacs. 3 things I would NEVER buy!

Ballypinball
8th July 2009, 09:00 PM
Our G5 macs are 5 times faster than our PC for graphics and running our printers

and never lock up or crash

Bendragon
8th July 2009, 09:14 PM
Sadly...Macs and of all things, Amiga's were the big guns for graphics and early CGI

Brad
9th July 2009, 09:32 AM
The Amiga's were so far ahead of their time it's unbelievable but they suffered from poor management decisions and a closed system. Apple also shot themselves in the foot with a closed system. Apple almost opened the hardware up and backed out at the last minute. Some would say rightly so given the revenue streams they're now making via iPod, iPhone and iStore but it relegated their Macs to second class citizens in the computing world and gave their fanboys a stink of misplaced elitism.

Jesus I sound like an arrogant cock here...I think I'll have to start stepping off my soapbox for a bit ;)

Again though I DO think the macs are damn sexy but they had their chance and blew it imo.

Brad

MetalSkin
9th July 2009, 12:55 PM
havta agree with you Brad, iPod saved Apple's arse. Apple always claimed to be hip but they had some very bad (and still do) attitudes that caused a lot of alienation. If they didn't have so much buyin with the educational market and the music industry, I reckon they would have folded way before the iphone came along.

Well to be honest I now have a iPhone and a apple lappy. I got the iPhone cause I wanted to write apps for it, and I got the lappy because you need an intel based apple mac to write apps for the iPhone.

btw, if you want to see fanboy craziness just google iphone dev windows and see all the apple fanboys justifying apples choice of using Objective C and a apple only environment to develop apps... god and these people think they're smart! It's like they're so smart they've gone through smart and into super dumb!

I do like the lappy, overpriced that it is. It's nice and it's reliable (ignoring a few wakeup quirks). Would never have got it if I couldn't salary sacrifice to get it and if I didn't need it for iphone development.

The pone I love, I don't use MSS so that never bothered me (though it's avail now in 3.0 as others have pointed out). Syncing with non MS/Apple calendars and note management systems is a pain in the ass, that I do hate. Inability to create/edit playlists on the go is something that I find incredibly frustrating. Only being able to get apps via iTunes is ludicrous, and their self censoring of what goes into it is again crazy. I haven't and most prob wont jail break mine, cause I need to use it to develop, but am sooo tempted cause of it's self imposed limitations.

acejas
17th July 2009, 06:04 PM
Jesus I sound like an arrogant cock here...I think I'll have to start stepping off my soapbox for a bit ;)
Brad

Dont bro, cos then Id have to jump on the soapbox but i might break it and im lazy...agree with everything you say...but geez they are damn sexy (what a nerd)