PDA

View Full Version : Power tools what to use and not use???

@lien_Zed
31st August 2006, 09:03 PM
Well, i finally burnt out my arlec 10mm drill. lasted me 2 years and i used it on everything i could find, steel, wood, concrete...

it erupted in smoke tonight after drilling a hole in one of my cabinets...

smelt very expensive , got rather hot and a cloud of blue smoke it spun for its last time...

RIP arlec...

might save my pennies up and get me a GMC next.
2 year warranty, cant go wrong i recon

Viper
31st August 2006, 09:26 PM
Get whatever you feel comfortable paying for. I bought a middle of the road priced Makita hammer drill that has served me well but then again my $17 Bunnings cordless drills have as well (I bought 4 of 'em a couple of years ago and they're all still going).

Foot
31st August 2006, 10:30 PM
My old 13mm Black and Decker shit itself last year. I got a 1400W GMC from bunnings. I was using it to put hex head screws in predrilled sleepers. It had plenty of grunt and drove the screws in great, but the first time I put it reverse SNAP! a pissy little grub screw that holds the chuck in broke. Talk about cheap

Needless to say it went straight back (less than 1 hour from purchase) and I picked up an 1100W Ryobi and haven't looked back.

I also used a GMC cordless and a Makita cordless when I drilled all the holes in my deck and had no problems with it's performance, just got heavy after a while compared to the Makita

Foot

Darksoul
31st August 2006, 10:40 PM
I've been happy with GMC products. Air compressor, router, drill, etc.

Even got some "yum cha" brand drill from Bunnings a few years ago for about $15. Gyprocked my whole shed (6m x 6m), dropped it off the ladder several times and it is still going strong.

miikeboyle
31st August 2006, 11:05 PM
i use to work at bunnings, and the cheap tools are actually quite better than alot of people belive. they wont last for years, but i know alot of tradesmen who factor in the price of each job getting new cheap tools, not the $15 xu1, but around the ryobi, GMC and ozito range. they were sick of the aprentices stuffing the tools up and people stealing them.

I just bought a GMC router for $40 for my slot cutting on my cab and it did the trick, but only just had enough depth.

Mike

kramer
1st September 2006, 12:09 AM
if your arlec drill is like a 4.8volt one with built in flashlight model, i've got a motor here complete for it by chance !
i stripped it out last week. decent sized motor in it too. batteries were borked.

also worth noting, i've only ever used the cheap power tools ~$15 each, and they're all still working. obviously they're not as good as more exxy models but they're not used all that much by me, and i have had them years.
$50 for a electric drill, jigsaw and angle grinder. yes please!. the bits are sh1t but the tools are reasonable. get good bits.

had a dremel burn out on me pretty quick. $50 supercheap one. the bearing was shagged and caused ALOT of heat. only had mayby 4 hours use.

@lien_Zed
1st September 2006, 06:38 AM
the arlec drill i had was a electric drill...
i have gutted it already and kept the chuck,the rest is already in the wheelie bin.
one day when i win the gold lotto im going to buy myself a metal lathe and the 3 jaw selfcentre chuck will come in handy

spot
1st September 2006, 07:06 AM
i find my gmc (drill, orbital sander and router) all to be really good.
granted they won't last forever but for <100 bucks a pop (router/sander were $40 from big w,)
you can't beat em!!

RetroGame
1st September 2006, 07:50 AM
I know of some tradesmen who factor in the price of a cheap drill into the cost of the job, stick a business card sticker onto the drill and leave it with the customer at the end of the job.

Excellent advertising for repeat business.

Myself, I try to buy the best tool for the job. I find that the cheapies will do the job, but the more expensive brands do the job better. Sometimes it is hard to justify the fact that the router/drill etc you are buying is worth 10 or more of the cheap brand though.

catty
1st September 2006, 08:30 AM
Horse for courses. Buy what you can afford and what will do the job adequately. No use in buying a $600 dewalt to put some tek screws into a cab. However more expensive tools do last longer, give better performance and reliabilty. After my old drop saw finally shit itself while building a deck, I borrowed a mates ryobi saw. After 1 day using this piece of shit I went and purchased a good quality Makita drop saw. Again the ryobi cut the wood but you could not get a straight cut leaving big gaps in the joins etc. The Makita while about 3 times more expensive cut clean and true no problems.

I have had my Dewalt battery drill for over seven years and it has copped an absolute flogging. Renovated houses, built numerous decks, fences you name it and it is still going strong on the same batterys.

I also have a GMC reciprocating saw. I don't use it often and could not justify the expense of a $800 one compared to $99. It doesn't have to give precsion cuts so It does the same job as an expensive one. However I have had to replace it twice but the 2 year warranty starts over again.

For handyman use and fixing the arcade stuff, you couldn't go past GMC or equivalant brands.

OzStick
1st September 2006, 12:04 PM
I have a 22 year old Ryobi electric drill with a 100m chuck that still does what it's meant to, but at the start of last year I bought a Black & Deadly cordless and it has been great! It can with a spare battery and chearger and from memory it was about $80.

Cordless gives you a lot more mobility and they are more powerful than you'd give credit - mine does a much better job of cutting holes in MDF with a spade bit than the old Ryobi.

My suggestion is to go cordless, but make sure you get one with a SPARE BATTERY so you can swap and go.

Cheers,
Chris

Crafty
1st September 2006, 12:33 PM
Ok now I'm a backyarder/home handyman who also has the luxury of a bother-in-law who is a carpenter.

Some jobs I use my own crappy tools other jobs require the better tools.
Some tools have no crappy alternative like the Paslode NailGun...
And let me tell you using a gas driven battery powered nailgun it a hoot. Makes me spoiled when I want to nail anything else using a hammer...

Ultimately if money was no option the expensive tools are better to use.
For example the battery life on a DeWalt cordless is impressive as is the torque produced up until the last minute..

OzStick
1st September 2006, 12:36 PM
....a bother-in-law.......
Never heard them called THAT before!

Crafty
1st September 2006, 01:54 PM
Never heard them called THAT before!

Ooops Typo

Oh Well at least if someone reads the post they should get a laugh :lol

Savage
3rd September 2006, 10:32 AM
For me I try to get the better know brands that tradies use (I'm a tradie in spray painting). And a top notch DIY'er :cool:

Anyway I use to buy Black and Decker that was a few years back (6) until I burnt out 3-4 drills, drilling through 4mm RHS, needed to drill over 64 holes.. After that I bought a smaller Makita and it's still going strong this very day....

My Choices are - Makita, Bosch, Rupes, and gotta love my Dremel... I do have some cheapies, like my jig saw, but it's shit, the bottom isn't square, blades sits in a bit crooked etc.....

Also unfortunately cost is an important factor, otherwise I'd buy DeWalt..

The wrenching stuff, I try to get Repco or King Chrome, cheaper than Snap-On (which I believe is over rated) and have no issues

terry007
3rd September 2006, 11:31 AM

The wrenching stuff, I try to get Repco or King Chrome, cheaper than Snap-On (which I believe is over rated) and have no issues

I agree. I am an Aircraft Maint Engineer by trade, and although I have some Snap On tools, cant go past Sichrome/Kincrome/ Repco (especially nice) even Supatool on the price-value for money scale.
If you know anyone going to the US, Craftsman tools are excellent also, and have that Snap On/Repco look and finish about them. Available from Sears.

Savage
3rd September 2006, 08:19 PM
I agree. I am an Aircraft Maint Engineer by trade, and although I have some Snap On tools, cant go past Sichrome/Kincrome/ Repco (especially nice) even Supatool on the price-value for money scale.
If you know anyone going to the US, Craftsman tools are excellent also, and have that Snap On/Repco look and finish about them. Available from Sears.

I actually needed long tube sockets a bit back and bought SupaTool set, the dearer stuff of the range and was impressed by the quality...

Smit
3rd September 2006, 09:41 PM
I have found that in general, while the cheaper tools do an OK job, you just don't get the accuracy that you do with the better quality... especially with saws.

Smit

Prof
3rd September 2006, 10:07 PM
It all boils down to the fact that you get waht you pay for.

There are exceptions, but in longivety in tools, money does talk

I have tools that where 3 times the price of the cheap stuff that has lasted 15 years. And yes, they do cope a lot of abuse and use :)

Crafty
4th September 2006, 11:23 AM
they do cope a lot of abuse

Cheap and Nasty
Expensive and Nice

In my experiance all tools cop some abuse..(!@@##$$%)
Hmmm might be user related... :lol

elvis
4th September 2006, 03:29 PM
My tools range from cheap shit to expensive good stuff. Depends on the job I'm doing and what I buy it for.

Back when I was renovating my house, I bought some better stuff simply because I needed it. I was ripping through tools with just a few day's use, so I needed to up the budget a little to get some decent use out of them. But then again, my house is all ironbark hardwood, and it literally is like trying to work with iron. Bloody tough shit! Doesn't stop the ****ing termites tho! :x

When working on home-built cabs and MDF, the cheap stuff is fine. Plus I do that sort of thing so infrequently that spending hundreds and hundreds is a waste.

About the only thing I consistently spend money on for good quality are drill bits. I've destroyed so many cheap nasty ones that a few years back I vowed never to scrimp on them again (which also happened to be a period when I was working with stainless steel, which is an utter bitch). So I went out and got myself all good quality bits, and they've treated me very well ever since.

Foot
5th September 2006, 07:33 AM
My 3 year old gave me a 12 volt drill for Fathers day, MAXIMATE from KMart for $13.99:D

Foot

Davefjedi
5th September 2006, 08:34 AM
Kid must have a paper round :badgrin

@lien_Zed
6th September 2006, 02:36 PM
I was at bunnings today and i picked up a GMC 1200watt circular saw for just under $50 including a brand new cutting wheel.The crate they came on had been knocked over and the boxes damaged.the tools are fine and still have normal 2 year warranty.
i also bought a ryobi 550 watt electric drill with 13mm keyless chuck and carry case and 5 drill bits for just under $50 as well

catty
7th September 2006, 12:25 AM
I bought a $600 dewalt router to build and fix some cabs with. Way overkill, an inexpnsive one would probably have done, although I haven't used one so I don't really know. This was not money well spent as I haven't really used it much after that.

Viper
7th September 2006, 01:00 AM
I bought a $600 dewalt router to build and fix some cabs with. Way overkill, an inexpnsive one would probably have done, although I haven't used one so I don't really know. This was not money well spent as I haven't really used it much after that.

Yeah, but I'm sure it looks pretty sitting on the shelf!

Crafty
7th September 2006, 11:09 AM

Family Heirloom .....

@lien_Zed
14th September 2006, 09:44 PM
I was at Big W today and noticed they have a quite decent selection of GMC tools including a 4 inch angle grider (http://www.gmcompany.com.au/index.cfm?module=products&pid=469) in carry case with 50 dics included for under $50

They also had a GMC router (http://www.gmcompany.com.au/index.cfm?module=products&pid=299) for under $50 as well

They have a quite a good selection of accessories as well