PDA

View Full Version : felt type substance that lives under glass

@lien_Zed
28th August 2006, 09:31 AM
where do you get the felt like substance that lives under the glass panel to stop it getting scratched.
on my lowboy cabinets ontop of the monitor there is a cutout to slide in a sheet of glass or perspex.
the felt substance is about 10mm wide and has got like a stickytape back on it to adhere to the cabinet.
the felt substance on my cabinets is knackered and i want to replace it

Viper
28th August 2006, 09:45 AM
Can't remember what it's called but it comes in a roll on a blister pack and I got mine at Spotlight (can't remember which section). Have seen it at BigW also from memory but was a while ago. Couldn't find black though so got what they had which was brown.

Will see if I can find it.

Smit
28th August 2006, 01:37 PM
Mohair might be what your after... I used to be a windows fabricator and we used this in long strips to protect the glass/ alumium from getting scratched...

Hope it helped,
Smit

@lien_Zed
28th August 2006, 06:31 PM
i rang around today, there is a place here in townsville called JR Rubber , 217 charters towers rd, 4725-2844
they have some stuff very similar they recon.spoke to them on the phone.if i get a chance tomorrow i will drop in and get some

OzStick
28th August 2006, 06:40 PM
Try Bunnings - look in the same aisle as flywire and sliding door fittings. They have "weather seal" which is self adhesive rubber strip that is sold by the metre in many different widths and thicknesses that may just do the job for you. Pretty sure they have felt type material as well.

@lien_Zed
28th August 2006, 06:59 PM
awesome, i drive past a bunnings warehouse everyday on my way to work.i will check it out tomorrow if i get a chance

Viper
28th August 2006, 07:24 PM
That could actually be where I got mine from. Same centre.

And I can't find it anywhere, looked everywhere I can think of. Must have tossed it out in the last cleanup. Sorry.

@lien_Zed
29th August 2006, 12:27 PM
Try Bunnings - look in the same aisle as flywire and sliding door fittings. They have "weather seal" which is self adhesive rubber strip that is sold by the metre in many different widths and thicknesses that may just do the job for you. Pretty sure they have felt type material as well.

You were correct.
Just bought some.
They have economy stuff from 3 bucks for a length about 2 lightyears long to 11 bucks per metre

OzStick
30th August 2006, 12:15 AM
You were correct.
Just bought some.
They have economy stuff from 3 bucks for a length about 2 lightyears long to 11 bucks per metre
Glad it did the trick Dez - I spend far too much time mooing around Bunnings......

miikeboyle
30th August 2006, 09:05 PM
hey guys

i am unsure of the stuff you guys are talking of, but i have a feeling im gonna need it real sool, does anyone care to post a pic of it

thanks
mike

OzStick
1st September 2006, 04:48 PM
hey guys

i am unsure of the stuff you guys are talking of, but i have a feeling im gonna need it real sool, does anyone care to post a pic of it

thanks
mike
I don't have a pic of it Mike as the stuff I use is for a different purpose hence not the same, but if you go to Bunning and wander down the aisle I mentioned above (the one with flywire and sliding door fittings) you will see it.

Cheers,
Chris