PDA

View Full Version : Marquee ideas

@lien_Zed
27th August 2006, 08:17 PM
Folks,
I have a few cabinets im doing up and im chasing ideas for the marquee.

I dont want the standard boring "mame" logo or the likes. been done too many times :sleep

i was thinking something with leds or cold cathode lights like you can get for pimping your pc with :cool:

any suggestions?:unsure

ZXR
1st September 2006, 12:28 PM
I've got a mate who's dad is a signwriter, and they've got all the etching gear I need to get a piece of perspex engraved with what I want (still not sure) and then I'll get some funky LED light action happening around the sides of it so it sort of glows.

Am also getting a brushed steel control panel made up with a perspex cover, with the back of the perspex (the bit that's facing the steel CP) engraved with the various arrows and Player 1/2 stuff that's normally printed on a CP. Should look cool once done. :)

-ZXR

@lien_Zed
1st September 2006, 03:48 PM
i thought about etching...
but...

i have seen here in town on a few commercial buildings glass doors you can get like a stick on adhesive sticky sheet that looks just like etched glass.you just cut out the design and stick it to the glass and instant etched glass with what ever you cut out.

i have also seen in a spray can a silver type paint that when sets looks just like etched glass as well.

maybe a sign writer her in town can help me out....

OzStick
1st September 2006, 05:30 PM
Hi Dez,

As I have suggested in a couple of other threads, you could use expanded mesh (like that used in security doors) then use some of that 12v 'spaghetti' neon tubing from Supacheap Auto. You can get it in different colours and with a bit of experimenting you'd get the light to 'bleed' through the mesh and give it a nice dull glow.

Cheers,
Chris

@lien_Zed
2nd September 2006, 11:01 AM
one of my daughters helped me with another solution last night one ofht em pulled the desklamp off my table when i was not looking...

smashed it...

but i scrounded the light fitting and cord and will use it in the cabinet.
there is some funky incandesant lamps i saw the other day at bunnings with all sorts of colours and dobs of glue all over it.very low wattage and should look good

Davefjedi
2nd September 2006, 11:43 AM
I've got a mate who's dad is a signwriter, and they've got all the etching gear I need to get a piece of perspex engraved with what I want (still not sure) and then I'll get some funky LED light action happening around the sides of it so it sort of glows.

Am also getting a brushed steel control panel made up with a perspex cover, with the back of the perspex (the bit that's facing the steel CP) engraved with the various arrows and Player 1/2 stuff that's normally printed on a CP. Should look cool once done. :)

-ZXR
and then strip lighting on the top of the cp so all the arrows and what not glow too that would be :cool: sweet

@lien_Zed
2nd September 2006, 07:41 PM
maybe add extra leds inside the buttons as well so they glow....

you could get every fancy with that like the poker machines and have a led chaser the cruises round the buttons...

you can get a led chase kit from tricky dicky or jaycar

ZXR
7th September 2006, 11:36 AM
and then strip lighting on the top of the cp so all the arrows and what not glow too that would be :cool: sweet

That was the plan. Should look awesome when finished. Even my girlfriend is starting to see that it'll be pretty cool once done. Helps with getting the finances approved for it. :)

bwodie
7th September 2006, 11:39 AM
your girlfriend has to approve your finances? lol
when you get married you are ****ed

Potato King
7th September 2006, 02:52 PM
you could get every fancy with that like the poker machines and have a led chaser the cruises round the buttons...

IMHO there is a fine line between cool cab lighting & something Santa's going to leave little presents around at christmas time. I think a flashing led cabinet may just be a little hard to pull off tastefully.:)

OzStick
7th September 2006, 04:20 PM

I thought that STOPPED when you got married???

Prof
7th September 2006, 04:38 PM
I thought that STOPPED when you got married???

That happens when the kids come along, then your left with hallway sex

@lien_Zed
7th September 2006, 08:30 PM
your girlfriend has to approve your finances? lol

I thought you got married cos you were already ****ed and she was pregnant?

Daring33
9th September 2006, 02:14 PM
I always liked what this guy achieved with extra lighting - http://www.knievelkustoms.com/index.htm