PDA

View Full Version : BeatBox - New JukeBox project

Dannymh
5th June 2009, 02:30 PM
All the various parts of the jukebox arrived this week so i can go buy the wood tomorrow to start the build over the weekend.

I still need to get some new speakers, but am starting with 5.1 junk speakers I have out the back on the fridge for when we have parties, which will be a good start.

So far I have purchased

- 15" touchscreen monitor, used $160
- 4 colour light chaser, sound modulated - $50

I already have an old p3 under my desk I will be using, but need to get a 500GB drive for it. to go into the machine.

I will likely be making some karaoke/singstar modifications for it later as well.

Should be a simple build and design....I hope.

Will keep you updated and post any pictures, still need to pick up some good looking speaker grills if anyone has any. And also need to get some cathode lighting for around the bottom.

Dan

AdamC
5th June 2009, 03:01 PM
Good to see a new project up and running. :)

If you are going to run a few programs, what kind of frontend will you be using ?

I have a bit of Ultrastar (Singstar) stuff here if you need it.

Dannymh
5th June 2009, 03:11 PM
Good to see a new project up and running. :)

If you are going to run a few programs, what kind of frontend will you be using ?

I have a bit of Ultrastar (Singstar) stuff here if you need it.

Not sure what front-end yet, or jukebox software.

I was thinking of Partytime. or SKJ or whatever it is.

I want the easiest for my friends to use, because I dont want to have to explain it all the time, and I have somewhere in the vicinity of 12,000 songs ready to go on there. So any advice would be great.

Well any advice on all software for it. I am building a keyboard draw into the setup so don't mind switching out to other applications when the mrs and her friends want a sing star contest.

Dan

Dannymh
7th June 2009, 05:08 PM
Ok so its not a massive start, but it is a start. Finally got some free time today to run up to Bunnings and get the wood and make 1 single cut. I need to clean this bit up a bit before I use it as the guide for second half. Have to go out in a minute so unable to do that tonight.

But here is a pic of the side.

It is 22.5" deep
the angle of the screen was meant to be 40 degrees but ended up 43 degrees because half way through I snapped a blade :) I will try to clean this up with a file or sand paper, or just take an extra CM of it to clean up the angle.

The screen i am putting in is 15" but the design so far would suit a 17 and 19" as well. I am going to come up with some ideas to fill in the space above and below the screen, but I am sure I can put an instruction card and some controls for the lighting etc there if not some form of Marquee will find it's way in.

I also have a shot of the disco lights that will be sitting about 10 - 15 CM below the angle cut. but will sort that out later.

I also bought some Blue Grill mesh for a car at Super Cheap Auto, I am going to cut out part of the front and stretch some white material over the hole, with speakers behind it and will put a black light shining from above it and then put the grill over that. These are semantics though and once the box is together in its basic form I will start making these fancy changes.

Dannymh
22nd June 2009, 10:44 AM
Finally got some more time to work on this over the weekend, and through a hung over haze got it standing upright by itself now.

Just to start adding a few more back panels to make it sturdy and can start adding all the rest of it.

Am still waiting for my white speaker cloth and casters to turn up too, though my cold cathode black light turned up on Friday

The two stains are from where is was resting against my paint storage rack, and some oil had soaked into the wood, it then soaked into the MDF. I am hoping it wont effect the final finish but can only find out going forward.

This is the first thing I have ever built so to get it to this stage, is surprising even me :)

I didnt even do woodwork in High School

Crafty
22nd June 2009, 01:18 PM
Looks like your making progress... Keep the updates coming....

Classic design so far.

Dannymh
22nd June 2009, 02:55 PM
Looks like your making progress... Keep the updates coming....

Classic design so far.

Very Classic design. It will change soon though. I am throwing in some nice disco lights etc.

I wonder how well it would operate from an External hardrive.....thoughts?

Crafty
22nd June 2009, 05:43 PM
I get lazy sometimes and play new songs from a thumb drive....

No issues so far :)

Don't forget to take photos of the light installation. Very keen to see that.:)

Dannymh
22nd June 2009, 06:29 PM
I get lazy sometimes and play new songs from a thumb drive....

No issues so far :)

Don't forget to take photos of the light installation. Very keen to see that.:)

to be honest I am pretty keen to see it too. Still working it out in my head.

I did the classic beginners thing and am kind of planning the details on the fly and only roughly put the idea on paper beforehand.

It should work out alright and hopefully i get some time in the week and on the weekend to do some more.

Cheers
Dan

pinballcrazy
22nd June 2009, 06:41 PM
Another place to check out for parts for your project is Jacar Electronics.
You be suprised on some of the cool things they have there.
Speaker grills, speaker cloth, cabinet protective corners.
Just an idea.

Dannymh
23rd June 2009, 09:31 AM
Another place to check out for parts for your project is Jacar Electronics.
You be suprised on some of the cool things they have there.
Speaker grills, speaker cloth, cabinet protective corners.
Just an idea.

Yeah totally agree
I wish we had one local here. I am going to see what it needs when it is painted. It may be that I dont need anything else, though I doubt that :)

Dannymh
29th June 2009, 10:02 AM
Just an update. Had another few hours to work on this over the weekend and it is starting to take shape.

I am still grappling with precisely how I am going to fit the screen in but the math seems about right, give or take a few mm. Though if anyone has any suggestions on getting the screen cover in nicely would be happy to hear it :)

You can see the casing in place now, the area below is going to be white speaker cloth with UV lights behind it to back light it.

Will fit the castors hopefully before the weekend so it is easier to work with, though I need to go pick up some new washers for the screws.

Also need to pick up a few brackets to hold the speakers etc in place.. I may build some box shelving and mount them to the side so they can not slip around. I have already had a few people asking to borrow the thing for parties and offering to actually hire it. Now I have people asking me to make them one as well.

Its not perfect but good so far for the first wood working I have ever done in my life

http://alternateeagles.com/jukebox/juke.JPG

Crafty
29th June 2009, 11:00 AM
Mate that's looking excellent. You're woodworking skills appear perfectly fine to me..

Keep the photo's coming.

As for mounting the screen I would suggest making the MDF surround removable this will allow you to change/work on it as required. You can use some of those mirror screws with the shiny chrome caps over them to bling it up??

Just a thought.

Cheers

Dannymh
29th June 2009, 11:19 AM
Hey that is a great idea.

I was originally just going to either put plastic caps over the screws or even get some stripp LED lights and use double sided tape to put them over them running down the side over the screw caps.

The mirror screws would totally bling it up :)

Back to Bunnings in my lunch break methinks

mxd
29th June 2009, 11:28 AM
I am going through the same thoughts at the moment, I made a "surround" out of 45x20 which I will attach to the MDF front panel. I will use the surround as a "guide and support" when I insert the monitor. Now I just need to figure out what to use to "hold" the monitor in the surround.

Will try to take some picies as it might make a little more sense.

Dannymh
29th June 2009, 11:40 AM
This is how I will be doing it so far.

I will be using 16mm MDF to make a slide and support.

Basically cut it to fit the width of the jukebox and some of the length.

Cut a hole in the middle (can be rough) so the back of the monitor just slides through. I will then be screwing the monitor to the support, that I can then slide into place (hopefully from the back) and then I will be using battons to secure some 12mm MDF over the top of that.

Basically it is held in place by its own support and a neater 12mm MDF surround will screw over the top.

I am going to have a look at various things at bunnings this arvo so that I can perhaps line the edges of the upper surrond to make it neater. I was actually think that weather strips may be the best idea for this.

Nidzdotnet
30th June 2009, 08:48 AM
loo0ks good.. all you need now is photoshop so you can rotate and crop and resize your images :o

Brad
30th June 2009, 08:53 AM
loo0ks good.. all you need now is photoshop so you can rotate and crop and resize your images :o

Use this easy to use and powerful freebie instead.

http://www.photofiltre.com/

Brad

AdamC
30th June 2009, 08:59 AM
Use this easy to use and powerful freebie instead.

http://www.photofiltre.com/

Brad

I use this Microsoft powertoy to do mine..

http://download.microsoft.com/download/whistler/Install/2/WXP/EN-US/ImageResizerPowertoySetup.exe

Image Resizer

Just right-click the image (or images), and select which size you want the image to be, and its done !

Only for XP, tho. Wont work in Vista. :laugh:

Brad
30th June 2009, 09:00 AM
Yeah I've used the powertoys set for years. I just like photofiltre as it's a really easy simple image application to use, not just for resizing. Does batch jobs too =)

Brad

Dannymh
30th June 2009, 09:50 AM
I have all the tools for it already, it just sits in the "Cant be bothered" basket at this time of year, what with all my clients upgrading etc (I work for and Education software company) and upgrades are no small things, and the windows are very tight, so things like rotating images which most people aren't bothered about, sit pretty low on the list.

However I because I love you all so much. I just did it for you :)

Dannymh
6th July 2009, 06:19 PM
Ok got a whole lot done on the weekend, and into the fiddly screen surrounds and painting. (Put first coat of primer after work this arvo, no photos unfortunately)

The screen surrounds and the surround for the lights is made from plastic 90 degree moulding from bunnings, it's a pain to cut but worth it for finish I have 3 sizes. 12mm, 25mm and 19mm

12 for the screen, 25 for the speaker surround (not in place yet) and 19 for the lighting surround.

Here are some more pics

The speaker mesh not on the speaker frame yet
http://alternateeagles.com/jukebox/juke_no_speaker.JPG

Speaker Cloth in place around the frame now (Will be re-doing this as I found a mark that shows up under UV light, plenty of extra cloth though.
http://alternateeagles.com/jukebox/no_prime_speakers.jpg

p.s. You can see where the Mrs got sick of the messy garage and whilst I was playing with putting the parts together cleaned the garage, my work bench etc. This jukebox is for her, so I was stoked.

Dannymh
8th July 2009, 08:27 AM
I cant decide on a colour. At first I was going to do it metallic charcoal but put some on yesterday and dont really like the look.

I am now thinking of Blue Hammered metal.

Any thoughts?

Brad
8th July 2009, 11:50 AM
A mate of mine just rebuilt his and used hammertone paint for his and it looks pretty damn good!

Brad

Dannymh
8th July 2009, 12:18 PM
which colour, blue or greymetal?

Brad
8th July 2009, 12:26 PM
Its grey metal. He didn't do it all over but it does look nice. For instance, it might pay to use say Semi-Gloss black on the sides and the hammertone on the front panels or something?

Brad

Dannymh
8th July 2009, 12:34 PM
hey thats a great idea. The varying tones will make it look more interesting that just a flat colour

Dannymh
11th July 2009, 05:31 PM
After putting a cote of hammered metal on I decided it looked too dull and after all this is for the Mrs so I let her decide, I gave her some options and she liked the idea of Candy Apple Red like a cadalac.

Candy Apple Red was hard to come by and I am rolling instead of painting so we decided on a fire engine red.

I put 3 base coats of white and one base coat of Grey. You need to put grey under red or you will get a blotchy finish (I did so many coats so that I could get a smooth as vynil finish with a Mohair roller. My Dad is a painter by profession so he gave me the tip. You do one coat one way say up and down, then another side to side and repeat, this should give you a pefectly flat finish if done right, you do it with a tiny bit of paint and a light touch)

Anyway. So I put 1 coat of the red on today, it is oil based so I have to wait until tomorrow morning to put the second coat on. I may put a 3rd coat on, we will just have to wait and see how the snd top coat finishes off.

I also cut the checker plate to size and put it against where it will sit so you can see the effect. I wont be gluing it into place until the paint is set.

I have the tape which are the two strips which you see going over the screen, these have a gloss white spray paint underneath so the effect should be pretty good.

Hopefully tomorrow it should be ready to put the finishing touches on and put the equpment inside. I need to put some shelves etc in there but thats simple stuff once it is ready to go.

I look forward to your thoughts. The completion of this and my tax returns, means my Mrs will let me buy a Buck Hunter kit, so I am a happy camper.

http://www.alternateeagles.com/jukebox/juke_red.jpg

Crafty
11th July 2009, 07:24 PM
Looks good to me..

Red is a nice touch and better than a black cabinet IMO...:)

Dannymh
11th July 2009, 07:30 PM
i agree. We are going to the markets tomorrow to see if we can buy some old vynil records or cheap and we are going to stick them on the sides etc which should also add to the overall effect. Will post photos once done Hopefully we can have a test run tomorrow night

Crafty
11th July 2009, 09:28 PM
Salvo's or Vinnie's are also good places to find old records...

IMPURE
12th July 2009, 04:00 PM
I rekon cd's would look better than vinyl, just my opinion :)

Dannymh
12th July 2009, 08:18 PM
We bought a mix of them at the markets today for $5 so will put both on. Hopefully can get it finished this week, 16 hours between coats is annoying, and 2 coats so far, but needs at least 3 by the looks of it

Dannymh
13th July 2009, 01:51 PM
Who would have thought painting would be the annoying part. Looks like whilst I was painting my Mrs was having a smoke by the car outside the garage and managed to get ash on the paint which is now set. Am going to give it a light sand tomorrow break out a brand new roller and put a coat over the top and hopelly that should do it. Otherwise its staying as it is :)

spacies
13th July 2009, 04:00 PM
Looks cool!

Can't wait to see the video of the lights working :D

Dannymh
13th July 2009, 04:11 PM
Looks cool!

Can't wait to see the video of the lights working :D

I cant wait till its at that point either. I can put that project to bed for a while then and start work on the deck

Dannymh
14th July 2009, 11:56 AM
aaarrrrggggggggggghhhh

We had a rathe dewy and cold night last night and somehow water got to part of the jukebox. and the paint has cracked in 1 spot. I now need to wait another 24 or so hours until it is 100% dry or dryer at least and sand that part back. Its going to need another 2 coats or more on that part now :(

Not a happy camper at this stage and am wishing I had just been satisfied with an ok paint job not a perfect one!

Oh well, looking like we have to wait until the weekend now

Crafty
14th July 2009, 05:04 PM
Chin up mate it will be worth it in the end....

Patience is such a hard thing when you have a new toy... I feel your pain...

Dannymh
3rd August 2009, 10:59 AM
still not 100% complete have not had much time to work on it. Still have to build a new speaker system from car audio parts next.

However it is functioning with a set of 5.1ch speakers I had laying around.

The lights can be turned on and off independently as well, via an RFID controller to the power board. I turned it off halfway through to demo.

Here is a video so far. (i can not get it to embed)

Please excuse the fact it is stretched, the video editing software did that, but you get the idea at least
YouTube - beatbox almost done

Dannymh
6th August 2009, 09:51 AM
As a "Something to do" project I am writing my own jukebox software for this that will run off PHP and mySQL and use iTunes as the player which runs in the background

Essentially have written a quick application that extracts the iTunes library and throws it into mySQL, all of this runs from a batch file and takes around 7 seconds for a library of 4150 tracks (my jukebox has 95,000 songs on it though, so this will take around 150 seconds to run that library through, probably longer, but the script creates .sql files in 4Mb batches and starts a new file every 4Mb this is so that each import doesnt overload the memory.

This is all running on the machines local server.

The reason I am doing this in PHP?

I just like PHP its a nice language to work with and I swore off .net a few years back after I left a job.

I have some unique requirements for the jukebox which is why I am writing my own and I also want to "See if I can do it" well.

Also having the library that you search in and everything seperate from the actual player and player library, it means that the search will not interrupt the player and visa versa.

It also allows me to run more detailed reports and algorythms than the iTunes SDK will allow.

If anyone has any suggestions for a better, lower memory/cpu usage player than iTunes that has a decent com interface or API let me know

kandiman
6th August 2009, 05:41 PM
damn you guys have major skill, are you going to be selling this?

spacies
6th August 2009, 06:22 PM
Wicked man. I want those lights!

Congrats on a job well done!

Dannymh
6th August 2009, 08:55 PM
I am flattered that you think it good enough to sell, but it certainly needs more work. I am happy to talk you through making one or I may be talked into putting one together for the right price ha ha.

It's the first thing I have ever built and to say I am happy with the out come is an understatement. :)

would I do it again?
Absolutely I enjoyed everything but the painting of it.

Dannymh
18th August 2009, 09:23 AM
Was all set bar the final speakers, put it all together and the monitor carcked it....$150 and 2 months and its dead and nothing I can do.

So on the look out for another one

Mickey Juice
7th September 2009, 09:29 AM
Got any pics mate?
The progress ones throughout the thread seem to be missing...

Dannymh
7th September 2009, 10:07 AM
I will repost them later in the week. The site I had them on, I let expire the other week :)

They are still around I just need to move them over. Its 99% finished I just want to put a better sound setup into it, but other than that it's all good to go

AskJacob
8th September 2009, 04:42 PM
If anyone has any suggestions for a better, lower memory/cpu usage player than iTunes that has a decent com interface or API let me know

hmmm is winamp any good for that anymore? It was back in the day...

Shame about the monitor - but it is looking good so far!

Cheers
Jacob

Nidzdotnet
8th September 2009, 08:35 PM
Well Partytime Jukebox is a frontend for Winamp so I would say that is a good solution..

Dannymh
9th September 2009, 09:55 AM
I am happy with Touchjams at the moment. It isn't perfect but it's doing the job. I am trying to teach myself c# but things are a bit too busy at the moment, however in a couple of weeks I should be ok. Then I can look at using c# with iTunes SDK or some of the other player libraries out there and start writing one that suits my needs.

Also I bought a brand new touch screen monitor for $340 and it's working a treat.

I also found a Hardan Kardan HK6150 amplifier for $10....thats right $10 at the re-use centre. I plugged some spare speakers into it last night and it was going great, until I decided to push the envelope a little bit.......I pushed it so far that I I blew the speakers....they were on loan from a friend, so looks like I owe him a new set....it was so totally worth it though :)

I'll get some new photos up over the weekend and will be also trying to get the speakers I want for it. Looking at 2 6x9's and maybe an 8inch sub :) that should hurt a few ear drums