PDA

View Full Version : Whats difference of 48-in-1 Multigame PCB versions?

Mika73
29th May 2009, 07:11 AM
Whats difference of 48-in-1 Multigame PCB versions like V305 and latest V309?

Just curious.. :)

AdamC
29th May 2009, 07:20 AM
i'd say .... 4 :lol

AskJacob
29th May 2009, 08:31 AM
The difference is WEIRD things.

Not new games, but odd things like the odd sound effect missing from a few games in the NEWER revision.

Keep in mind the revision is the EPROM version - you can always re-burn the eprom it to whatever version you want.

Dunno why the sounds are gone - perhaps they sounded too awful so they dropped them altogether?

Cheers
Jacob

rod71
29th May 2009, 09:36 AM
Wonder if there will ever be a 48 in 1 released with good sound.

AskJacob
29th May 2009, 09:54 AM
Wonder if there will ever be a 48 in 1 released with good sound.

I doubt it - unless they change the hardware. The sounds that are bad are ones that need a bit more grunt than the current hardware can provide.

Gyruss is a good example, with the stereo sound ... my favourite game on the 48-in-1, and it sounds like poo :(. Yes the 48-in-1 is not stereo, but the "emulator" still has to emulate both channels and combine them into 1, so maybe that is where the grunt is wasted?

All said and done though, the 48-in-1 is still a neat board, and games with iffy sound outweigh no games at all. Besides, I have played many games "in the wild" back in the day that had bad/poor/no sound, glitches, wavy monitors etc... so I can handle it :)

Cheers
Jacob

rod71
29th May 2009, 10:11 AM
I doubt it - unless they change the hardware. The sounds that are bad are ones that need a bit more grunt than the current hardware can provide.

Gyruss is a good example, with the stereo sound ... my favourite game on the 48-in-1, and it sounds like poo :(. Yes the 48-in-1 is not stereo, but the "emulator" still has to emulate both channels and combine them into 1, so maybe that is where the grunt is wasted?

All said and done though, the 48-in-1 is still a neat board, and games with iffy sound outweigh no games at all. Besides, I have played many games "in the wild" back in the day that had bad/poor/no sound, glitches, wavy monitors etc... so I can handle it :)

Cheers
Jacob

Yeah i tend to turn the sound down a fair bit on the really bad ones. The Namco titles seem to be the best by far.

Funny thing with the games that were originally on "Galaxian hardware" like Galaxian, Moon Cresta etc is that the sounds are in a lower key. If the pitch was raised somehow, they'd be pretty much spot on.

xygt
29th May 2009, 01:00 PM
I've got roms of a couple of 48 in 1 versions (old and new), and will be documenting what I find are differences between the two.

Just need to find some time to do it :rolleyes