PDA

View Full Version : River Patrol Repair

Arcade King
28th May 2009, 08:52 PM
Dezbaz sent me his River Patrol boards to have a look at.

Game is based on hacked Crazy Kong hardware. Pinout is pretty much the same except controls.

Dez sent me out 2 sets, swapping top and bottom boards over I managed to get 1 working set with some faults.

Problem: theres 2 of main boat sprite showing on the screen one where it should be and the other on the right. This eventually degraded to fussy horizontal lines.
Fix: Faulty TI 74ls161 @ 2A bottom board.

Problem : Running game for a few hours a new fault developed. Displays BADRAM 8800 80 with a blue screen and a big square of garbled graphics taking up 1/4 of the screen in the bottom right.

Fix: Bad 5101 ram @ 5C on the bottom PCB, replaced with AM9101/2101

Problem: Game sound is not right.
Fix: Faulty AY3-8910 on the top board @ 6S

Will leave the PCB running over night to make sure shes 100%

I've also worked out the pinouts and attached them.

Foot
28th May 2009, 09:07 PM
One of my all time favourites, nice save

narf_
28th May 2009, 09:08 PM
looks fun trav

dezbaz
28th May 2009, 09:29 PM
Amazing Travis

Cheers mate!

danny_galaga
28th May 2009, 09:41 PM
i'm constantly amazed at how you guys figure these things out! I'm interested in picking up a few games one day, but can imagine them just sitting in the garage once something goes wrong...

Arcade King
29th May 2009, 05:08 AM
Amazing Travis

Cheers mate!

no worries mate. Ran the game over night and shes still 100% so I'll send it back Tomorrow for you.

i'm constantly amazed at how you guys figure these things out! I'm interested in picking up a few games one day, but can imagine them just sitting in the garage once something goes wrong...

nothing more satisfying to me than getting these old game up and running again :) MAME is fantastic but its still not as good as the real deal :)

dezbaz
29th May 2009, 08:14 AM
I've also worked out the pinouts and attached them.

Do you think it is worth submitting the PCB pinouts file to coinop? or KLOV?
I'm pretty sure there is no listing anywhere to date. There is a silverland pinouts here (the falcon original)

http://www.coinop.org/kb_dl.aspx/KB/Pinouts/silverland.txt

Similar . . .

Anyway if you like I can send your text file to the 2 sites mentioned??

dezbaz
8th October 2009, 08:49 PM
Finally fixed the board after stuffing the ram with an incorrect harness

I think I will test this in my cab, as the test bench shows too much red

http://www.dsbelec.iinet.net.au/DezRiverPatrolWorking01sm.jpg (http://www.dsbelec.iinet.net.au/DezRiverPatrolWorking01.jpg)

Got ram from the US, fitted a socket, fitted the ram & hey presto! :cool:

Thanks again Trav!

Womble
8th October 2009, 09:17 PM
Its not actually too much red, its too little of another colour, usually the total loss of one, as all the colours you see on the screen are made up of mixing the RGB signals the loss of one colour ends up looking like too much of the other.

Looks like you are missing the blue signal.

First thing to do is to triple check your harness that you have the RGBs going to the right pins, its easy to get them arse about face, have done in many times myself.

dezbaz
8th October 2009, 11:52 PM
Its not actually too much red, its too little of another colour, usually the total loss of one, as all the colours you see on the screen are made up of mixing the RGB signals the loss of one colour ends up looking like too much of the other.

Looks like you are missing the blue signal.

First thing to do is to triple check your harness that you have the RGBs going to the right pins, its easy to get them arse about face, have done in many times myself.

Yeah I think you're right womble

I tried this PCB in my other cabs, and it has a black background, whereas in MAME the background is blue

There is blue. When I disconnected the blue wire the screen changed and blue actually dissappeared.

I must have crossed green and blue or something

EDIT: I just tried swapping R, G & B around, ALL combinations

Still no blue background

Do you think the blue background is controlled by a chip? IE a faulty chip?

Arcade King
9th October 2009, 07:25 AM
yeah mate either your missing the blue all together or theres another fault there.

Well done for getting it up and going again! :D was my pinout correct?

dezbaz
9th October 2009, 08:15 AM
yeah mate either your missing the blue all together or theres another fault there.

Cool, cheers for that
When the blue wire is disconnected the screen goes darker, and small bits of blue dissappear, so blue is working a bit. That leads to a fault as you say

Well done for getting it up and going again! :D was my pinout correct?

There is a "36" labelled on the PCB edge connector, so I had to invert the pins

IE what you had as pin 1, was 36
and what you had as V was 1, and A was 18

I worked out the pinouts and will post them up tonight.

I also found a cocktail mode in the dip switches, so screen flips if dip 5 is ON :cool:

These Crazy Kong boards (Pinouts) must be all designed by different people, so you have to be aware of these confusing things.

(I have seen this B4 with a few of my other CK boards)

I also found out this is NOT ORCA, as orca has a opening credits in the attract mode (I was looking at MAME)

Interesting!

EDIT 2: Pinouts

http://www.dsbelec.iinet.net.au/RiverPatrolPinoutsV2.jpg

Womble
9th October 2009, 08:37 AM
Pinout labelling schemes are a pain in the arse, many board manufactureres decided not to use some of the letters in case they confused people, have seen boards where it I O and G are skipped, makes it dangerous if you are making a harness and dont notice it when you are counting the pins.

Its hard to tell from your photo whats going on as the screen looks like it needs a degaus, so what shows up as blue may not be caused by the blue gun. However if screen changes when you disconnect blue that suggests a more serious fault. It could be the 1st chip upstream of the blue output or it could be a dozen chips back. Its hard to predict the damage that can be caused by squirting power up the wrong tracks. Its worth checking no tracks were burnt out tho.

dezbaz
9th October 2009, 09:01 AM
Pinout labelling schemes are a pain in the arse, many board manufactureres decided not to use some of the letters in case they confused people, have seen boards where it I O and G are skipped, makes it dangerous if you are making a harness and dont notice it when you are counting the pins.

Its hard to tell from your photo whats going on as the screen looks like it needs a degaus, so what shows up as blue may not be caused by the blue gun. However if screen changes when you disconnect blue that suggests a more serious fault. It could be the 1st chip upstream of the blue output or it could be a dozen chips back. Its hard to predict the damage that can be caused by squirting power up the wrong tracks. Its worth checking no tracks were burnt out tho.

That pin I put 12V down is connected to a thin trace, going right up to the ribbons onto the other boards, I will follow it properly as a next step.

Womble
9th October 2009, 09:22 AM
Am afraid you might need to post it off for some TLC again, tracking down issues like this can be very simple, (see my Midnight Resistance repair), or a real pain in the arse (see the Legendary Wings repair). The more troubleshooting tools you have the easier it can be, if you have a logic probe its a start but even that can be misleading.

dezbaz
9th October 2009, 08:19 PM
Am afraid you might need to post it off for some TLC again, tracking down issues like this can be very simple, (see my Midnight Resistance repair), or a real pain in the arse (see the Legendary Wings repair). The more troubleshooting tools you have the easier it can be, if you have a logic probe its a start but even that can be misleading.

I hava a CRO also, and an electronics background, if that might aid me.

I will try a few things and keep posting here

Hey Womble,

Hows your IC number id knowledge?
If I post a Hi Res pic of the top and bottom boards, any chance of some help to identify chips please?

I may get some clues to the likely cause and where to start. I am guessing I am looking for proms?

Also, a reminder I do have a spare board set, (Almost complete)

dezbaz
11th October 2009, 01:12 PM
I am looking for proms

I looked at the Pacman Proms and found they are 16 Pin and are Not 74LS

I have looked over the boards in detail, and found there are 14 x IC's which are not "74LS"

Of the 14 IC's, 2 of them are 22 Pin RAM, 10 of them are 16 pin, 2 are 14 pin

Of the 10 x 16 pin IC's there are DM74367N x 2, and MB7051 x 3, D2125 x 4 and D2115 x 1.

D2125 and D2115 is RAM, so rule them out

I found a site which says a Galaga used a TBP18S030, (an equivelant to the MB7051)

When I looked it up, the TBP18S030 is a PROM
The other one (DM74367N) is a quad input OR Gate

So the 3 PROMS on the board are in spots 9L, 9M & 8C

Any advice guys on how to safely remove a soldered IC, from another board without damaging them (Or is this unrealistic?)

Getting somewhere I think

narf_
11th October 2009, 01:22 PM
solder sucker unit perhaps?

seen joey use his and takes him seconds

dezbaz
11th October 2009, 01:30 PM
solder sucker unit perhaps?

seen joey use his and takes him seconds

Cool, thanks for that Narf

May have to give Joey a call

narf_
11th October 2009, 01:47 PM
gibo and morrie got 1 each also.

dezbaz
11th October 2009, 02:37 PM
I actually have removed 2 safely using this baby

http://www.dsbelec.iinet.net.au/Sucker.jpg

I have to give up for the day and pick up some o/seas rellies from the airport

More in next few days

dezbaz
11th October 2009, 03:36 PM
I notice in MAME that ALL versions of river patrol have no mension of proms 9L, 9M and 8C

They mension Proms at 9P, 9N and 9C - But my board doesn't even have any IC at them 3 points :unsure:unsure

May be fun trying to burn roms from mame

Arcade King
11th October 2009, 05:15 PM
Since the board is hacked crazy kong hardware its possible the dumps were taking from a single layered boardset.

dezbaz
11th October 2009, 05:51 PM
Since the board is hacked crazy kong hardware its possible the dumps were taking from a single layered boardset.

I am on the right track Trav?

dezbaz
11th October 2009, 09:59 PM
I worked out the pinouts based on AK's pinouts

That little "36" on the PCB really messed me up originally, but I have recovered and recorded the correct pinouts at post 12 of this thread

Pinouts (http://www.aussiearcade.com/showpost.php?p=333592&postcount=12)

Still working on the blue background

Arcade King
12th October 2009, 07:12 AM
I am on the right track Trav?

I'm just saying that its possible the rom positions wont match mame because they could have been taken off a different boardset IE single layer one.
I'd just dump the roms you have and verify the CRC if you havent already.

dezbaz
10th January 2010, 08:17 PM
OK, the good news is . . .

Sean came over today, and we worked out which prom was bad.

He has an old prom burner, and it told us the location based on the data on them

This means
1. My de-soldering didn't destroy the removed proms :)
2. The correct location was identified

Since 2 roms were good and one was bad, we burnt the mame info into a blank PROM and hey presto

Prom 8C was the faulty one

Replace with new burnt prom and

http://www.dsbelec.iinet.net.au/DezRiverPatrolWorking05-sm.jpg (http://www.dsbelec.iinet.net.au/DezRiverPatrolWorking05.jpg)

Thanks Sean :)