PDA

View Full Version : cheap chinese GPS heads up (a good one)

narf_
26th May 2009, 06:44 PM
got this in the mail today

postage is excessive for what it came in (bubble wrapped and then in a padded bag but overall its still cheap

it cost me around $89 posted and would be less with the aussie $ going up

it also has igo 2008 software loaded (not route 66 as shown). Going to road test MP3s and Movies tonite

as a sat nav it works well so far clear to read and very informative.

comparing it to my tom tom i like this one alot

a heads up for anyone after a cheap run around unit

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=260406027493

Fish Tales
26th May 2009, 07:07 PM
got this in the mail today

postage is excessive for what it came in (bubble wrapped and then in a padded bag but overall its still cheap

it cost me around $89 posted and would be less with the aussie $ going up

it also has igo 2008 software loaded (not route 66 as shown). Going to road test MP3s and Movies tonite

as a sat nav it works well so far clear to read and very informative.

comparing it to my tom tom i like this one alot

a heads up for anyone after a cheap run around unit

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=260406027493

I am about to buy a sat nav, and having never owned one, and only hired one once dunno what to look at/for. Main thing that concerns me is the cost of updating the maps. Does that one talk Narf?

what_the
26th May 2009, 07:20 PM
I would imagine it runs navngo IGO 8. Probably the 8.0 software. If it has a plg in SD card then you just need to look around on the net for the australian .FBL (map) file. copy and paste it with a card reader and you have the latest maps, POI's, Building info.

I have just installed IGO 8 on my samsing omnia, and I would have to say it is probably the nicest I have used out of Tom Tom, Garmin, and Route 66.

Good score!

And tyo answer your question EB, IGO 8 does offer "turn by turn" navigation. Just avoid the US voices(erghg!)

narf_
26th May 2009, 07:23 PM
yeah guys it does talk

spun me out says at 30m turn right into gibbs street i was like WTF

the maps are loaded according to your country in your paypal account so mine is fully loaded with ozzie maps

it does have a SD card yeah what the

narf_
26th May 2009, 08:39 PM
also this is windows based

i havent tested yet with another SD card but it is quite full due to all 25 available world maps on the card

plus it has snake and breakout :laugh:

coolspot
26th May 2009, 08:43 PM
damn that is cheap ours cost us 2 grand alpine we didnt have to pay for it same as the 2 dvd players total package worth over 10 grand

narf_
26th May 2009, 08:47 PM
my tom tom was 279

compared to a $19 ubd and the wife navigation unit it was alot of money :lol

spaceballs
26th May 2009, 08:48 PM
Can i suggest ppl contacting infinite1977 as he can source good quality gps' for you guys if needs be. Sure he wont mind me mentioning this...

serviceit
26th May 2009, 09:07 PM
bought a similar one 6 months ago - it lasted 3 months before the screen went blank, went back to the good old Tom tom. had the Tom tom for 4 years had to replace the battery $45, still going strong.

kitty
26th May 2009, 09:11 PM
i have a Tom Tom... it's good, and have new maps already.

we have cartman as our voice... "Turn left at Kyle's mums vagina" :lol

Savage
26th May 2009, 11:07 PM
I have a TomTom One.
IS about 3 year old, has latest maps, latest firmware custom icons etc. And doesn;t cost me a cent to do these upgrades....
! :D

dmworking247
26th May 2009, 11:23 PM
i have a Tom Tom... it's good, and have new maps already.

we have cartman as our voice... "Turn left at Kyle's mums vagina" :lol

:lol where'd you get that voice from Kitty? Can you share the source?

Unrelated side note: I wish I could get GPS working on my E71 phone. Sigh.

However, I bought a GPS unit for about $140 from DealExtreme about 1.5 years ago and its going strong. It uses TomTom software on Windows Mobile, but I can load any GPS software I like on it... I might try this iGo or Garmin for a change.

damn that is cheap ours cost us 2 grand alpine we didnt have to pay for it same as the 2 dvd players total package worth over 10 grand

No mate, it wasn't worth 10 grand, that was just its ridiculous price. :lol

Fish Tales
27th May 2009, 06:18 AM

this is why some high wage earners whine that they have no money
:blink:

kitty
27th May 2009, 08:17 AM
:lol where'd you get that voice from Kitty? Can you share the source?

just from the TomTom upgrade software stuff. It's all free :D

it's hilarious... it's a very very well impersonated voice though. I literally laughed the whole way to work the first day i got it.

"Cross over the circle-road thingy"

The best part is when you reach your destination... then cartman really goes off!

I'm on the hunt for more voices though. There's some good ones, but not awesome.

The only thing with the TomTom that i don't like is that there is only one voice that will give you street names... and it's a sucky voice :(

Savage
27th May 2009, 09:05 AM
just from the TomTom upgrade software stuff. It's all free :D

it's hilarious... it's a very very well impersonated voice though. I literally laughed the whole way to work the first day i got it.

"Cross over the circle-road thingy"

The best part is when you reach your destination... then cartman really goes off!

I'm on the hunt for more voices though. There's some good ones, but not awesome.

The only thing with the TomTom that i don't like is that there is only one voice that will give you street names... and it's a sucky voice :(

That depends if your got Vocalizer or Loquendo TTs. I have Vocalizer, takes less CPU, not as good as Loquendo's but still very good and have two Voices that do TTS, when I was running Loquendo I had about three TTS voices.

The Funny Voices you can get don't do street names as they aren't TTS (Text to Speech)

kitty
27th May 2009, 09:09 AM
i dont know which one i have Savage....

Nidzdotnet
27th May 2009, 09:18 AM
www.dealextreme.com

They got em on there. Widescreen too for like $108US ~ About 140AU free shipping.

AdamC
27th May 2009, 09:35 AM
I just found a page where you can get all different types of voices

http://gps-data-team.com/pda-gps-navigation/links/index.php

I dont have a Tom Tom ,so i cant try them out.
Mines a Mio, and i dont think the voices will work in mine.