PDA

View Full Version : Pirates of the Caribbean, anyone played it?

garuda
22nd August 2006, 10:57 PM
Just wondering if anyone has played a Pirates of the Caribbean yet? If so, what did you think?

GEE
22nd August 2006, 11:00 PM
...and if you've played it, where was it...?

garuda
22nd August 2006, 11:03 PM
Particularly if it's on site somewhere in Brisbane.

DevoDave
4th September 2006, 01:57 PM
There is one on display at Bumper Action here in Melbourne. Had a quick go at it (as they are on freeplay) but didn't play long enough to get a solid opinion.

I know that my first impression on the look of the machine was put off a bit by the cheap-ass thin perspex. Immediate thought was that it was built down to a budget.

bwodie
4th September 2006, 02:13 PM
there is a very nice gentlemen on our forum that owns one

Pop Bumper Pete
4th September 2006, 04:36 PM
There are nice gentlemen here?

That's it, I am leaving

:p

Mickey Juice
5th September 2006, 11:38 AM
There's a good in-depth review here with videos and sounds too:
http://www.pinballnews.com/games/potc/index6.html

DialogPimp
5th September 2006, 01:24 PM
I know the person bwodie is referring to quite well and have played the machine on several occasions so I should offer my opinions. You should all have read the review on pinball news by now and so have a good idea of the basic machine.

The playfield layout is different enough to other machines to make it interesting and although people whine about flow, flow is not everything in my book. FFS if every game flowed like some people want, pinballs would be as boring as batshit - they'd all feel the same. Personally what I like is to have to change the way I play from machine to machine. It keeps it interesting.

The "sneeze guard" doesn't get in the way when you're playing and you really do need it. Those little green targets (a Nordman trademark in some ways) do make airballs more prevalent, particularly with hard shots. The ship is very cool as it sinks into the playfield, and you do need a decent sized hole for this, so that combined with airballs = sneeze guard.

The coolest thing about the ship is when you have to fight Davy Jones. Instead of just rocking back and forth like it does when you're about to sink the other ships (Dauntless, Interceptor etc), this time the ship rocks back much further so that the whole lane is wide open. You have to time your shots to hit the ship when it's "hittable", otherwise you just get the Kracken jackpot shot instead. Combine that with a "health meter" approach that regenerates if you're too slow and it's good.

The display effects are excellent - a leap above Sterns earlier efforts. The audio is superb - I couldn't tell it wasn't Depp doing the sound bites, and some of them are quite funny.

I think the thing I like the best is that there's always something to do. You're not restricted into one set of shots to complete the current mode. In fact, there is only one mode in the game. Want to sink ships? Then make those shots. Have a break and shoot Jack the Monkey (a hard hurry up) for a bit. Shoot some balls into the chest, light K-E-Y, then H-E-A-R-T for heart multiball. Nail those weird side lane shots halfway up the playfield for treasures and things like an extra ball. The only real mode is the mixmaster and timed ball lock. So far I've only ever managed to get 2 balls up in there within the 10 seconds, but you can get 3 and then have Tortuga multiball.

It's early days for the software and I hope we see at least one more revision that extends the gameplay in different directions. It's not as deep as say TZ or LOTR, but it's a fun game to play. Mind you I try to take every game on it's merits rather than continually comparing it to what people say were the best games ever made - you'll only ever be disappointed doing that.

bwodie
5th September 2006, 02:13 PM
awesome review mate
has given me a much better idea on the machine
now i want to play badly! lol

The Pinny Parlour
5th September 2006, 02:18 PM
I might be playing one shortly if all goes well. Op I know is considering purchasing one. Will keep you informed.

Crafty
5th September 2006, 03:59 PM
Sounds like a fun game....
x-lotto numbers really need to fall my way..

Although sounds like I would have more chance of winning at this game than picking 6 winning numbers..

DKong
6th September 2006, 01:11 AM
What I read from the reviews is that the voice is not Johny Depp..aghh bad mistake for future value for a game of such production I can't believe they skimped on this..Aggh.Think of the Arnie game who tells you where to go.The Heart may go on in this chesty game due to combining a bit of every part of pinball magic, but for ever=more it will be just another SPP MM etc ( funny thing is I have never played any of the games mentioned so don't take this as a review just an ASS out of U and ME thing ) Go play it!! find one!! If they don't have it ask for it!! Tell them...Where is my POTC ..Where is my POTC!!! C'Mon!!!!

Pinball will be back when I see a new one in Tasmania......

DialogPimp
6th September 2006, 07:49 AM
You won't pick that it's not Depp. Consider the target audience and location for these machines. Stern could have spent the extra licensing dollars and got him to do the voice overs, but in a pub/arcade environment with a high noise ratio, no one is going to tell (or even give two shits) if was really him or not. And that's where most of these machines are going to go.

It would hardly have been worth it except to the HUO crowd, and it's not like the voices are crap (say, like Johnny in JM - now that's so obviously not him).

bwodie
6th September 2006, 07:56 AM
(say, like Johnny in JM - now that's so obviously not him).

i think it sounds like Keanu, infact i thought it was lol :tomato

DialogPimp
6th September 2006, 08:49 AM
Mmmm yeah OK. I think there are some that sound like him, some that don't. Just goes to show how senile old fogeys like me hear things different to you young 'uns!

bwodie
6th September 2006, 10:42 AM
lol dialog
tbh i just assumed it was him so i probably havent listened close enough!
now T2, they had to get arnie.. tough to do a completely accurate arnie voice. i love his lines in it
GET OUT
GET THE JACKPOT
ITS PAYBACK TIME
sorry.. :)

Daring33
6th September 2006, 01:37 PM
Has anyone spotted one in SA yet? Reports on their arrival in Australia claimed that a couple were heading down here.

Pop Bumper Pete
11th September 2006, 12:58 AM
I got to play it!

I like it!!!

Though I did not like the use of photos where drawn artwork would have worked so much better. eg the main playfield, all the plastics

GEE
12th September 2006, 01:54 AM
I got to play it!Where?

con
12th September 2006, 10:35 AM
There is one on display at Bumper Action here in Melbourne. Had a quick go at it (as they are on freeplay) but didn't play long enough to get a solid opinion.

I know that my first impression on the look of the machine was put off a bit by the cheap-ass thin perspex. Immediate thought was that it was built down to a budget.

Yeah i also had a go on it on sat at bumper. Not a huge fan of the pin. Top half of the playfield seems to be cluttered.
Feel of pin and flipper accuracy was very ordinary. Spent most of my time playing the Whirlwind that was there.

terry007
12th September 2006, 04:22 PM
Has anyone spotted one in SA yet? Reports on their arrival in Australia claimed that a couple were heading down here.

Played one today at Amusementworx. Nice looking pin, but as mentioned a bit bare in the lower half, also has a cheap (tinny) feel about it, that all new Sterns have IMHO. Although having said that I would have a Sopranos tomorrow!!

Played about 4 games, and it was quite enjoyable.

Get in quick though they said it was only in there for a week.

silverbak
12th September 2006, 11:21 PM
Any spotted in Sydney yet?

Daring33
13th September 2006, 12:45 AM
Played one today at Amusementworx. Nice looking pin, but as mentioned a bit bare in the lower half, also has a cheap (tinny) feel about it, that all new Sterns have IMHO. Although having said that I would have a Sopranos tomorrow!!

Thanks mate, I have to head out that way for other business so I may just drop in and 'pretend' I want to buy one;)

pinsanity
13th September 2006, 03:54 AM

Went in there a couple of weeks ago before POTC arrived and had a couple of games of LOTR (not too bad considering:cool: ). The guys there said that one of the other POTC coming to SA may be going to the Aberfoyle Pub/Tavern/Sports Bar.:unsure . Can't confirm as haven't been out that way in last couple of weeks but just a heads up to anyone out that way. Maybe check it out.

Cheers.

kramer
21st September 2006, 11:44 PM
if anyone cares about me up here in woop woop ( toowoomba qld)
there's one in the top level of grand central shopping centre. discovered it today hehehehe. $10 later...

The Pinny Parlour
18th October 2006, 10:16 PM
On the Gold Coast.

Getting to help pull one, brand new out of the box in about 10 days. Will let the GC guys know where it's going to be sited as soon as I play the first game on it. (ok a few hours after that). :) ;)

frs
18th October 2006, 10:26 PM
Great news!

can't wait to have a crack at it

NMD
26th October 2006, 02:27 PM
Any spotted in Sydney yet?

Galaxy World George st has one, its really clean and $1 for 3 balls.

I met my sister in the city for lunch today and dropped in on the way back to Town Hall. Put 2 bucks in and was there for 1 1/2 hours, it must have been set to easy because it seemed like 75% of the game was a multiball mode. Extra balls were easy to come by aswell. Its a nice game to play, the artwork looks cheap, its quite fast. The flippers seemed to have good power compared to other sterns ive played.

The Mixmaster? :badgrin is good especially during mutliball when you can get a couple of balls going at the same time but it seems kinda of pointless because the player has no real control over it, and it was also very loud with a metal on metal sound when the ball was in there. The upper playfield is pretty cluttered and i wasnt really a fan of the skillshot into Parlay, seems like alot of wasted space in the upperhalf of the playfield. The game sure keeps you on your toes though, the playfield had a real nice fast slope on it.

The game does get repetative, so many heart multiballs!

High score there was 550Mil and the highest i got was 220Mil and from memory the lowest high score was 500+

Ill be back for sure, i enjoyed playing it and now that i know some of the shots i guess ill enjoy it even more and want to spend some more time on it.

DialogPimp
26th October 2006, 04:26 PM
A lot of the clowns on RGP whinge about heart multiball / chest being just the same shot over and over again. The point they miss is that to maximise your earnings, you make a chest shot, then shoot the jackpot shots in turn, progressively raising the point value, *then* make the chest shot when you've scored.

That's the secret to massive scores ;)

The Pinny Parlour
26th October 2006, 05:51 PM
Help pulling one out of the box new, next Tuesday. ;)

silverbak
31st October 2006, 01:41 PM
Just played the Sydney one at Galaxy World during my lunch break. Played 3 games and was getting nowhere and then came the last ball of my last game - ended up stacking about 4 extra balls and ended the game at 585Mil which is the top score so I got to put in my name. Would have scored higher if i knew what I was doing. Ended up leaving it there with 3 credits as I had run out of time

Overall I didn't like it as it seemed a tad easy and lots of muliballs...too many. It Feels cheap & the ship looks shit and is jerky in how it moves. Flippers were weak (although still playable) but I think all Sterns are like that. It didn't even make a proper pop sound on a replay as instead you get a loud ping through the speakers - just not the same!!

NMD
2nd November 2006, 07:48 PM
Went back for a game today, first ball lasted a long time and got 2 EB's. 90% of the first ball was multiball and ended up getting about 320 mil from it [replay was 61mil]. I was going 2 player with a mate, hes noob to pins and it was soon my turn again. Second ball didnt last long and the flippers, especially the right one seemed to be getting weaker and weaker. The new GC score is 950mil there not by me of course, the highest i could manage was 450mil.

The machine looks like its getting a fair bit of play.

DKong
2nd November 2006, 08:20 PM
Well without seeing one or playing one it looks fun but a bit easy?? When I play firepower I think wiould this have the same appeal today..not..do we need sinking ships??

The Pinny Parlour
21st November 2006, 10:42 AM
Just a heads-up for Tweed Heads people. My op friend has a POTC at Seagulls West Tweed, kiddies area.

I was horribly sick a couple of weeks ago when he recieved it so I never got to pull it out of the box and play it. :cry he told me it's sited at Seagulls.

gunigoogoo
2nd January 2007, 04:01 PM
Just a heads-up for Tweed Heads people. My op friend has a POTC at Seagulls West Tweed, kiddies area.

I was horribly sick a couple of weeks ago when he recieved it so I never got to pull it out of the box and play it. :cry he told me it's sited at Seagulls.

Played one on new years eve at the Beach House here in Adelaide. I liked it alot. Got a replay on my first game and 3rd on the top score list. I must say the flippers on the Sterns have improved since I last played one (LOTR) but that could be because it's relatively new. It had a Bally/Williams feel to it. My son commented that it reminded him of Medieval Madness. Can't comment as I haven't played that one much either.

Guru-Choc
2nd January 2007, 04:03 PM
One in Brisbane at Strike Bowling Bar in the Wintergarden, I played it Saturday last week, could of only come out of the box on Friday night, was not a mark or scratch on it, all high scores were still default by the looks of it, well until I played my one game that is, NON is my initials.

I get to play one game of pinball these days, POTC is bloody amazing. After half an hour on my first ball I had to let the others drain as the wife and kids wanted to bowl. All the ramp shots are where they should be, the game flows beautifully with no dead spots at all. Only thing I can fault is maybe the ship won't hold up over time, gets a flogging during Davey Jones Jackpot and gets hit in many different places when it is moving around, when it is static it only gets hit in one. The only other problem is they have used the traditional "credit" sound as a effect during the game, this cheapens the game immensely in my eyes.

Definitely a step up from Stern. I don't think it will have the longevity of TZ, TAF or MM, but it will be up there and collectible in the near future.

I'll have to take a trip back there when I have some spare time and no-one else wanting to do something so I can fully appreciate the game.

MadMikeAU
3rd January 2007, 05:47 PM
OK, we all had a go on this at the last Sydney meet. By all, I mean myself, Mark "OMG the flippers are weak" Shock_and_Awe, Greg "FFS the flippers are weak" Maverick and Neil "OMFGFFS the flippers are weak" Jackpot.

The cabinet is marked as Disney and thats apt as it all looks Mickey Mouse. The header has good art, but the cabinet art looks like it was done on a cheap ink jet printer. Very low res, blurry and shithouse art. The playfield art consisted mostly of a scrolled map, which was mostly plain yellow with little/no art at all (texta renovators delight).

The game has a shite load of ramps, and although the guys whined about the flippers, it rewarded timing as opposed to smashing the ball around. I had one ball of 106Mill and I suck at pinnies. So maybe it is a little easy.

The whole game seemed derivative of other pinnies: the turbo charger from Getaway, the pop target punchup from Indy, etc ... and then there was that upper playfield where you had no control over where the ball went : down the hole, off the side, or down a ramp.

Dont think it has much longevity. Definatly a dust collector.

Darksoul
4th January 2007, 12:48 AM
I get to play one game of pinball these days, POTC is bloody amazing. After half an hour on my first ball I had to let the others drain ....

Half an hour? Are your people Jedi or just have your hands in your pants?

pinsanity
4th January 2007, 01:18 AM

In his best Grandpa Simpson voice says:

"A little from column A and a little from column B" :D

Guru-Choc
4th January 2007, 11:17 AM

Ok, I ain't too shabby in the pinball playing department. A misspent youth has helped there and owning 20 or so of the suckers. I play a game about once a year these days so I am way out of practice. It is all about not making bad shot choices and being in control of the ball 100% of the time. POTC is quite an easy machine to play.

I often find your first game on a new machine is the best you will have for a while, mainly because you don't know where anything is. In subsequent games when you know what to do you tend to score less as you are actually trying to do something which makes playing harder. Aimlessly shooting a ball at things that are flashing makes for great high scores.

frs
6th January 2007, 05:09 PM
Played the Pirates at Strike today

Is it just me or does the ball "float around" a lot on the new Sterns? Especially on the lower half of the PF. Methinks ops need to set them a bit steeper than what Stern must recommend, just to keep the ball flowing.

Anyways, not a bad pin at all. LOTR has the edge on it, but it'd be welcome in my gameroom