PDA

View Full Version : Late 70s early 80s Solid State pinballs

Virgil Tracy
21st August 2006, 06:11 PM
Over the past few moths I have played a number of machines and I have to say the sound effects suck. Compared to my EM machines this things only have one tone and it is annoying.

I am currenlty looking for a mid 80s onwards SS pinny with ramps I hope they sound better than the earlier machines.

I will now go and put on my flame suit.:073:

garuda
21st August 2006, 06:44 PM
I can see your point but there is enough there to keep me going on the early solid states. Some have great sound. Have you ever played a Flash Gordon? I am selling a Space Shuttle shortly. It has typical sounds speech and bells. I think it's a pretty cool machine, I love the effect you get with the bell.

Virgil Tracy
21st August 2006, 06:46 PM
I can see your point but there is enough there to keep me going on the early solid states. Some have great sound. Have you ever played a Flash Gordon? I am selling a Space Shuttle shortly. It has typical sounds speech and bells. I think it's a pretty cool machine, I love the effect you get with the bell.

I will put that on my list of games to try, let me know when you want to sell it I will come have a look.

garuda
21st August 2006, 06:55 PM
I will put that on my list of games to try, let me know when you want to sell it I will come have a look.
I'm currently shopping it. It is stripped down and the old mylar is being removed and then I'll clear coat it. Which older SSs have you played? I love the squawk and talk SSs also. They have pretty cool sounds.

Virgil Tracy
21st August 2006, 06:59 PM
I love the squawk and talk SSs also.

I havent tried these yet, so far it has been 79-81 Williams and Gottileb

Wotto
21st August 2006, 07:12 PM
HEY !!! Watch it :062:
I love my SS pins and I love the sounds on them:062:

Think of Flash - the first game with increasing/ dramatic sounds as you build points:062:

Time Warp has excellent sounds for it's time :062:

Firepower !!!!!:062:
Did I mention Firepower??:062:

What games did you play??

What's that noise I hear comin up the street? Is it the Home Ice Cream van dingin his bell.......oh .....no.......it's just an old EM pinnie getting played:lol

Virgil Tracy
21st August 2006, 07:16 PM
The most recent two are Hot hand and Solar Ride. I have not tired any later pins such as 1982 onwards yet

At least the chimes in the EM have three tones unlike the home ice cream man.:067:

Wotto
21st August 2006, 07:25 PM
Well then, theres ya problem - they do have ordinary sounds ( HH is fun to play but?? - U think? )

Try a few more - there are a LOT better out there than those 2 as far as audio goes.

I actually wish I had a :067: for my local Home Ice Cream guy- man- ALL DAY Saturday ALL we hear is that ****ing bell !! Might just settle for :tomato

Pop Bumper Pete
8th September 2006, 04:46 PM
I bought my CE3K BECAUSE of the simple sound system!

I think Gottliebs were the first SS machines I played, I just needed to have at least one machine that goes 'Boop,boop, boop'. 'Beep, Beep'

The early ballies can be anoying, but maybe I have had those machines for too long !

Na :p

DevoDave
8th September 2006, 10:58 PM
For some reason the sound effects of Black Hole stick in my mind.

That and 'Gorgar'!

4_ur_amusement
8th September 2006, 11:24 PM
firepower is just a cheap williams :o whats annoying is hankins fj

StevOz
8th September 2006, 11:26 PM
Well as unpopular as they seem to be I use to really like the early 80's Stern SS pinballs, especially for the sound QuickSilver and SeaWitch spring to mind.

4_ur_amusement
8th September 2006, 11:30 PM
and the somewhat out of place chimes on sterns stars