View Full Version : MGL - T8 Game 12: Phoenix

Amy
18th May 2009, 11:17 PM
Game 12: Phoenix

Top 100

http://www.klov.com/images/11/118124215054.png

No current high score for this game

Shoot things

Games are picked through a random generator from the list compiled in the MGL 8 thread. To have your games included in the pick you need to submit a score. You can add to this list at any time.
Remember to make your score valid you need to post your score in the subject line and don't forget your screen shot, any troubles let me know.
Mid week bonus of 25 MGL points are awarded to the highest submitted score as at Midnight Thursday. The highest submitted score at the end of the MGL week will receive 100 MGL points.
Your scores need to be in by next Monday 25th OF May BY 8PM (NSW daylight savings time).
Amz

Foot
19th May 2009, 06:18 PM
Mmmmmm Phoenix :applause:

xygt
19th May 2009, 11:27 PM

One of my favourite games.

spaceballs
20th May 2009, 09:23 AM
Hadn't played this for ages and got right back into it last night. Anyone know how many "sheilds" per level you get??

By the way Amy nice discription on how to play...."shoot things" :lol

MonoJoker
20th May 2009, 09:27 AM
Hadn't played this for ages and got right back into it last night. Anyone know how many "sheilds" per level you get??

By the way Amy nice discription on how to play...."shoot things" :lol

I don't think there is a set number of shields per round it just takes a few seconds to recharge - maybe 4-5 - but has unlimited uses per round?

I enjoy playing this game too but not sure how good I am in relation to others - will be interesting to find out - or embarrassing LOL.

Cheers
LT.

spaceballs
20th May 2009, 09:36 AM
usually i find embarrasing, but i got a bit over 7000 last night. With a bit more practise hopefully more. the mother ships are tough with slow fire power. mashing the button endlessly doesn't seem to make it fire more quickly...hehe

DKong
20th May 2009, 10:05 AM
Check out this unusual Phoenix cab :)

Jed
20th May 2009, 12:55 PM
The 200,000 isn't a bug, it's a gen-yoo-ine bonus. If you can get it, good luck to ya, I reckon.

DKong
20th May 2009, 01:17 PM
Hey all,

Only joined Aussie Arcade recently and to my joy, found the gaming league. Great idea :) I have one of those xxxx-in-1 systems in a cab.

Here's my first posted score, 11,610 for Phoenix. The game definitely gets a fair bit tougher tougher from screen 11 onwards. The third saucer is tough. Never made the 4th saucer...

Welcome,
Have you ever got the 200,000 bonus in Phoenix

Jed
20th May 2009, 04:59 PM
I never knew about the secret bonus in Phoenix. Googled it just now though. Will give that a shot ;) Sounds easy but I bet it's not. Will give this game another shot with that tip, cheers.

I'd say anyone that can pull off that triple trick shot, will take out the Phoenix challenge...

Foot
20th May 2009, 06:55 PM
Welcome,

I haven't but I believe The Prof can do it, just don't tell him we're playing this week :p

Amy
20th May 2009, 07:04 PM
"Shoot things"

I thought it was a great description....I wrote it all on my own!

SectionZ
20th May 2009, 07:10 PM
Welcome,

200k bug/cheat rather than bonus, I was shown it in the early 80's.

Didn't think it could be exploited in MGL?

Classic game :cool:

MonoJoker
20th May 2009, 09:10 PM
200k bug/cheat rather than bonus, I was shown it in the early 80's.

Didn't think it could be exploited in MGL?

Well I guess it might just be a little obvious :o

SectionZ
21st May 2009, 01:36 PM
Score :Edit update from 46,690

kane
21st May 2009, 06:16 PM
Okay, so I managed to get the 200K bonus. If it is decided that it's not cool to do this in MGL, then put me down for my previous high of 28,220 which can also be seen it the same screenshot there.

So here's what happened - Did it completely by accident, didn't even read up on how to do it, just doing what the instructions said, "Shooting Things". I was on the 1st saucer level and 4 phoenix's came down attacking side by side. They reached the bottom and then all 4 proceeded back up the screen all flapping their wings as they do. I shifted across them, shooting, and I suppose I hit 3 of them in a row and was awarded the 200K. Cool!

Good luck players :p

MonoJoker
21st May 2009, 09:37 PM
Hmmmm I could do with a 200K score boost :)

Cheers
LT.

SectionZ
24th May 2009, 07:01 PM
I'm going for my hi score, to me the 200k trick :lol is a bug in the scoring.

But it seems most info available suggests it's a bonus. (Mame history file tells it a little better).

I prolly should of posted one of these midweek, I got it twice on one of em while I was on 215k, score went backward - some bonus :rolleyes

WR is only 987K - 'smoke me a kipper'

DKong
25th May 2009, 06:03 PM
Playing some of my best phoenix, seems to happen when you play the same game for a while similar to when it would of been stuck in the Fish and Chip shop for weeks, no other option.
Couldn't get a 200,000 bonus anyway IMO it is a bug and shouldn't be included in the scores:p

Score :Edit update from 46,690

46,690 now thats a good ( Fair dinkum) score, well done, How many times completed?

Foot
25th May 2009, 06:10 PM
Score: 17550 meh

Love this era of games :D

wingtipvortex
25th May 2009, 06:12 PM
This game is not fair with shield use! I press it and die when i shouldn't.

DKong
25th May 2009, 06:16 PM
Score: 17550 meh

Love this era of games :D

The Golden Era!

Yeah I try to only use the shield as a last resort and then its only 50/50 unless you are ramming some low hugging enemies that keep crawling along the bottom. Pity you can't move once you activate the shield.

MonoJoker
26th May 2009, 07:55 PM
I'd agree it's the golden age of arcade gaming for sure. The early-mid 80s when playability was king but they still managed to break new ground with so many cool games.

wingtip - at least you can still shoot through the shield! But having said that I'm always either too late to press it when relying on it - ie sitting under a load of fire to get that last hit on the enemy saucer with the alien inside - and so I die in a hail of Xs, ^s and /s - heheh the debris makes me laugh every time :laugh: Still an awesome score mate :o

World record near on 1 million - holy f***!!!!

Cheers
LT.

SectionZ
26th May 2009, 08:07 PM

I found keeping the shield button depressed longer helped.
I had a few games on Galaxians inbetween games, but kept going for the shield button :lol

MonoJoker
26th May 2009, 08:16 PM
I had a few games on Galaxians inbetween games, but kept going for the shield button :lol

Forget Galaxian I want GALAGA with shield!!! :) Now that would be awesome.

Cheers
LT.

wingtipvortex
26th May 2009, 09:36 PM
lShit...i didnt have time to "depress" the shield so to speak, I was banging and slapping it like a 3 dollar Thai hooker:lol But ill take your advice and try to hold it longer:cool:

SectionZ
26th May 2009, 10:41 PM
Shit...i didnt have time to "depress" the shield so to speak, I was banging and slapping it like a 3 dollar Thai hooker:lol But ill take your advice and try to hold it longer:cool:

Just be careful you don't get the 200k bug

wingtipvortex
26th May 2009, 10:45 PM
Just be careful you don't get the 200k bug
I think it would put me off if i got it, tooo much pressure:cool:

Amy
27th May 2009, 10:03 PM
MGL - T8
Game 11 Results

Game 12 is officially over

Congratulations to those who participated and submitted scores

Results for Game 12: Phoenix

SectionZ now holds high score of 218,314

1. SectionZ 218,314
100 points

2. kane 207,353
125 points (95 score, 25 midweek)

3. wingtipvortex 52,340
24 points

4. MonoJoker 25,850
12 points

5. DKong 22,680
10 points

6. Jammasized 20,370
9 points

7. foot 17,550
8 points

8. xygt 10,720
5 points

Leaderboard (http://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php?t=21740) has been updated

Scoreboard (http://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php?t=13631) has been updated

Hey Guys,

Just in regards to this 200K bonus/cheat/bug I just wanted to let you know why I decided to include it in the scoring even though I have never played the game.

From what I gather it is a trick you can do to get some extra points. I decided to include it because MGL has always been about playing the game "as it comes" and in this case the scoring bug comes with the game.

I apologise for not making a decision ealier, I have been sick the last week and haven't really been following the thread.

I also want to thank you all for your participation, it has been heaps of fun. Well done DKong for your comfortable win once again.

It's probably a good time to say that I don't think I'll be around to do the next MGL (whenever that may be). There are a few reasons for this but I won't bore you with details. Hopefully someone else may want to have a turn of being in charge and continue it on.

Thanks again Guys
Amy

DKong, SectionZ and foot can you please PM address details please.

Rat
28th May 2009, 12:30 AM
That's cool by me Amy, I only really participated in one MGL, but I really enjoyed winning a trophy for gaming. Thanks for everything, enjoy your retro gaming in the future :)

Although my busy lifestyle prohibits me from playing as much as I would like to, I would still like to see some contests here.

There seems to be a waning interest in the current format, perhaps a game of the week contest with a score next to your avatar would suffice?

Foot
30th May 2009, 09:12 PM
Well done DK on another win, next time we'll handicap you :D

Nice one SectionZ winning the last game to relegate me to third (again)

Big thanks to Amy for running the show :041:

You up for it next time DK?

DKong
31st May 2009, 09:58 AM
Well done DK on another win, next time we'll handicap you :D

Nice one SectionZ winning the last game to relegate me to third (again)

Big thanks to Amy for running the show :041:

You up for it next time DK?

Thanks Foot, and thanks Amy for all the time you have put into the MGL.

I don't mind doing the MGL, if Amy is not doing it anymore, will be a hard act to follow:)

Was thinking of a different setup ( slightly ) but will have to get input from fellow MGL'ers.

Will start a new thread when we/I have confirmation of who is doing it .

shabu
18th July 2009, 09:20 AM
I know I'm late to the party but I wanna play. :) Is there a new game or tourn next week ?

DKong
18th July 2009, 12:30 PM
I know I'm late to the party but I wanna play. :) Is there a new game or tourn next week ?

Should be up an running next week!

Rat
18th July 2009, 03:32 PM
No hurry, DKong is running this one, so he is still riggin' his box so he wins and outsourcing the biggest trophy he can find ;)