PDA

View Full Version : My Cocktail restoration / mod project

Black Tiger
10th May 2009, 01:47 AM
Ok I haven't got any work in progress photos mainly because I have been working on this for so long that I forgot to take any. It's been a tricky job actually - a few major and minor hiccups along the way, but I gained lots of help from the great people on this forum and i've finally finished it!!! I must say it was harder to do than my first restoration (NEO-GEO upright)

So the cab I sourced was an old Taito cocktail from 1980/81 that originally had a Space Invaders type clone game in it originally - it would have looked something like this:

http://www.aussiearcade.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=10890&stc=1&d=1241879625

It wasn't exactly looking like that though - the glass was heavily scratched up, the legs were rusty, there was nothing internally, the CP's were still intact - though the joystick were left and right function only, implying that it was a Space Invades type game.

First up was getting a CRT monitor mounted inside - I was pretty sure I could get it sorted as I managed to install a monster 21" Sony Trinitron CRT monitor into my Neo-Geo cab and that wasn't easy.
As luck would have it, I found a very newish looking CRT monitor in the store room at work. My boss said I could have it for free (nice boss huh?) so I got it home, decased it, and set to work building a mount for it out of wood and aluminum 'T' angle - after a lot of trial runs and chiseling, I got it to fit perfectly, no movement rock solid mount.

http://www.aussiearcade.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=10891&stc=1&d=1241880686

As you can see everything else went in around it and this is where the problem started - my monitor was 'quirky' - it would only work when you booted up the system and pressed the ON button on the monitor at the same time - it wouldn't register as picking up the signal - even then it wouldn't work every time It was driving me bonkers, Lots of people on this board gave me lots of suggestions and where very helpful with ideas, but nothing worked - I even took it to a electrical repair bloke that I know who said it would be cheaper just to buy another one.
I tried changing the video card but it still played up with it's quirk, I didn't particularly want to get another monitor as I had painstakingly built a custom mount for my existing one and the chances of finding an exact matching model didn't look promising.
I ended up biting the bullet and found another monitor that looked new and was similar in size, decased it and tweaked the mount to try and make it fit . After a bit of cutting here, bit of chiseling here I managed to get it bit just as nice as the old one and it's the monitor picture you see in the picture above.

The next setback was the CP's - I replaced all the buttons with new ones and changed the joystick from two way (east-west directions) to the eight way arcade sticks. Put it all together with the CP's back into they're flush recess in the side of the cab - then I took it for a test drive UGH!!! how awkward! you are working the joystick and the buttons at a terrible angle and as for playing a game that didn't have left/right control only, it was almost uncontrollable, I thought I may adapt and get used to it after a while, but i didn't.
Back to the drawing board, I took out the CP and inset them into a panel that goes the traditional way (upwards) and you can see it in the pictures below.
I thought I might add an extra button while I was at it.

So here it is in all it's glory, it's a shame I don't have any work in progress photos, I gotta tell ya - it was a challenging job, that's for sure!!!
It pays off though:

http://www.aussiearcade.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=10892&stc=1&d=1241882585

http://www.aussiearcade.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=10893&stc=1&d=1241882585

http://www.aussiearcade.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=10894&stc=1&d=1241882585

The exhaust extractor fan on the side I need to paint black or disguise it somehow - the LED's next to it are a neat touch I thought - one is to say it's on, the other one shows hard drive activity - not really necessary, but I thought it was a cool / different thing to have.
The box with the four inputs in it on the left is a USB hub so I can plug in a keyboard and mouse for maintainable - also for flash drives for adding more stuff on if I need to.

For the sound, I did some surgery on some desktop computer speakers to get the amp / driver circuit out (which was pretty beefy) and hooked it up to a set of two Kenwood 2-way car speakers - the controls for the speakers are mounted on the side of the cabinet so I've got control of the volume and bass boost.

Now as it's finished, i'm on the look out for some retro Caroma arcade stools! i've seen them on e-bay and they're well sort after! always selling for quite a large price too! If I can't get any I may have to call into Ikea and get something similar.

AdamC
10th May 2009, 07:15 AM
Another good job. :023:

Looks like youre starting to get a nice playroom sorted.

What size monitor do you have there ?

Which front end are you using?

WOKA
10th May 2009, 07:43 AM
I like the job on the control panels, looks like you built your own and flipped around the CP shroud, very nice.. Certainly overcomes the shitty playing angle of Taitos as they are originally..

maxpower
10th May 2009, 08:58 AM
Great job. I agree the angle of the control panel sucks. The stools try garage sales if you can. I got 2 last week for 20c ea!! Was a house full of apex or lions club stuff and when I saw the stools I grabbed em and said how much are these? The chick said I'll just ask John, and John yells out 20c ea. I gave them $5 and told them if you ever get any more let me know. Have 5 now so still looking.

danny_galaga
10th May 2009, 05:42 PM
I like the job on the control panels, looks like you built your own and flipped around the CP shroud, very nice.. Certainly overcomes the shitty playing angle of Taitos as they are originally..

by jove youre right! freakin great idea! good job all round. one tip, probably obvious now; test everything BEFORE you put the effort in ;)

Black Tiger
10th May 2009, 07:16 PM
What size monitor do you have there ?

Which front end are you using?

17inch Monitor - easy to come by, fits perfectly behind the surround, costs next to nothing to buy usually ;) thought about a LCD when I was having problems with my first CRT but they tend to not look very good from a side angle

I tried just about every front end in the book with mixed results - I did have AtomicFE running in it and it was great, but when I got the latest version and installed it, my system didn't like it at all and I lost the original build I was using.
So I settled on MALA for it's current frontend. Simplicity and good looks - and it has the vertical monitor option too of course!

Well spotted sir! :cool: that's exactly what I did. Yeah the original shrouds where in excellent condition so I thought I would utilize them.

Great job. I agree the angle of the control panel sucks. The stools try garage sales if you can. I got 2 last week for 20c ea!! Was a house full of apex or lions club stuff and when I saw the stools I grabbed em and said how much are these? The chick said I'll just ask John, and John yells out 20c ea. I gave them $5 and told them if you ever get any more let me know. Have 5 now so still looking.

20c!!!!!!!!! 20 freaking cents!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o I think I better go and have a lie down

one tip, probably obvious now; test everything BEFORE you put the effort in ;)

I'm certainly learning (the hard way in this case) :rolleyes