PDA

View Full Version : Black Tiger's Elusive Jukebox

Black Tiger
9th May 2009, 06:31 PM
Time to unleash my Jukebox project to the AA board :cool:

It all pretty much started when I spied an old, beat up Aristocrat poker machine from 1973 - it was called "Moon Money" and it was pretty much beyond repair.

Still, the original glass front was all intact and the whole unit was built like a WW2 Lancaster bomber!! they built things to last back then!! nice and sturdy - perfect to house some sort of Jukebox setup inside.

It only just occured to me that I stupidly only started to take photos of my project half way through, so unfortunately I haven't got a 'before' photo to post and I really regret it ;)

Oh well, down to business

First of was the control panel. I wanted something that looks cool but was also nice and solid so I got some stainless steel look MDF paneling from a bloke I know who builds kitchens. It's AWESOME!!! it looks like stainless steel but it's hell thick and is also a hard durable surface.

http://www.aussiearcade.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=10875&stc=1&d=1241852650

As you can see, being MDF, I could drill the holes for the buttons and chisel out the recesses for the triangular and oblong rectangular buttons (try doing that with an inch think piece of stainless steel!)

http://www.aussiearcade.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=10876&stc=1&d=1241853049

This is the finished control panel, mounted onto the poker machine front (over the chute where the money used to gush out) I got another piece of MDF to go under it and made the edges nice and flush by using the matching "stainless steel look" edging that is made for the MDF
This control panel was very much inspired by AdamC's excellent work on his Jukebox - it was a perfect fully functional layout and I sort of copied it, though I used the big rectangular buttons. They were supplied by Chris at Ozstick (http://www.ozstick.com.au/) who did an exceptional job on the button labels!!

http://www.aussiearcade.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=10877&stc=1&d=1241853704

This is pretty much the empty shell with the new front on it - you can see that good old '70 wood laminate ;)

http://www.aussiearcade.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=10878&stc=1&d=1241853876

Ok this is where I got creative - a while back I was talking about Tolex and how I wanted to try covering the sides of my Jukebox in it - originally I had my sights on using American Tweed - an cloth-type Tolex that they used on vintage guitar amplifiers like Fender in the 60's .......but then I found something that really caught my eye - SNAKE SKIN!!!!!!!!!! It's a red python textured snake skin Tolex!! I had to have it!! So I measured up what I needed and ordered it, which happened to come direct from the manufacturer way over in Detroit USA.
It's the actual tolex that they use on Marshall guitar amplifiers and it looks amazing - you would swear it's real, very high quality stuff, not what you would find at place that sells vinyl and material.

http://www.aussiearcade.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=10881&stc=1&d=1241857064

Here the jukebox on my 'operating table' with the completed sides - I'd just finished putting the black molding around the edges - it's not T-mold though - it's black laminex strip that you 'melt' onto the edge with a household iron turned up as hot as it goes. You can buy it in big rolls. Apparently the strip with the self-melting adhesive is not made anymore though and you have to glue it on with contact adhesive. But of course, my mate in the kitchen building industry got a hold of some. It's great having mates like that!!! ;)

http://www.aussiearcade.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=10879&stc=1&d=1241854472

A close up-shot of the snake skin Tolex and the black trim! very sexy :D

AdamC
9th May 2009, 06:57 PM
Ahh , about time you posted something on this ! :)

Is there pics missing between the paragraph about the MDF panel and the rectangular buttons, tho ? :unsure

Looks really good !
Does anything light up in the top part (Original pokie part) ?? might be an idea ;)

Good to see some of my idea's popping up here and there around the place in other projects. :D

Black Tiger
9th May 2009, 07:19 PM
http://www.aussiearcade.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=10882&stc=1&d=1241857982

And here it is in my shed, getting near finished with the LCD screen & front glass in place, the front loaded speakers installed - also the bottom speaker grille that replaced the old piece of woodgrain panel that used to be there. Behind it lies the active sub woofer.

http://www.aussiearcade.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=10883&stc=1&d=1241858149

This is from the rear of my jukebox with the door open. It's a big hinged door that has a lockable latch on it so it can be closed up nicely when it's in operation.
From the bottom is the sub woofer - a deep throw active woofer that really kicks when you crank it up, I had to make sure there was nothing loose that would rattle when it was loud!!
Above that is the powerhouse, the computer that used to run my MAME cabinet before I upgraded it, above is the LCD screen which was very time consuming to install!! I had to build a mount out of steel and cut a hole for it in the steel frame too! that was a lot of hard work, but I got it to sit perfectly flush and sturdy.
Above that, you can see the rollers/tumblers for the poker machine which i've cleaned up and kept all in original condition. They all have their actuators still in them so if they operate on 12 volts I much look at getting them working so they spin! that would be pretty freaky!! :D

http://www.aussiearcade.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=10884&stc=1&d=1241859224

my neat little wiring job, hooking ever thing up to the IPAC and getting 12 volts to all the illuminated buttons - wasn't as much of a headache as I thought it would be ;)

http://www.aussiearcade.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=10885&stc=1&d=1241859463

this is a picture of when I booted up the machine for the first time! a very exciting moment for me! I nearly wet my pants I swear!!!!!! :112:

http://www.aussiearcade.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=10886&stc=1&d=1241859786

Here I am, looking very pleased with myself with the finished product! :D my very own jukebox in my games room that I have dreamed of having since trying to put on a song in a pub full of bikers when I was completely loaded on Jack Daniels (a long story that is pretty embarrassing)

http://www.aussiearcade.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=10887&stc=1&d=1241860186

Here's the remote control that allows you to select tracks and sort though the albums from the other side of the room (neat huh) it was a pure coincidence that it can do this because I originally thought it wouldn't interface with SK Jukebox at all, but pickle me Grandma! it DOES!!!! what a bonus!!! ;) The big rotary dial in the middle contols the volume which is the main feature I hoped would work - the other stuff it does is just an absolute bonus!!! can't believe what it does actually! ;)

Gav
9th May 2009, 07:27 PM
Looks Great, bet it sounds even better. Well Done:cool:

acejas
9th May 2009, 07:27 PM
awsome mate...bloody looks trick...love the remote too

AdamC
9th May 2009, 07:43 PM
Wow , it looks great when lit up !

Are they blue LEDs under the control panel ?

What kind of remote is that one ? Where did you get it ?

About the tumblers ... maybe David_AVD could rig something up so it activates the reels when you put a song in , or just randomly ?? :unsure

Black Tiger
9th May 2009, 07:53 PM
http://www.aussiearcade.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=10888&stc=1&d=1241861208

Here's the lights in action - the blue down lights under the CP is a light bar of LED that point downward - the light 'panel' below that was an idea of a really cluey bloke that I work with. I got a piece of white lycra material and fixed it to the back of the speaker grille. The idea was to put a light bar behind the lycra and being a synthetic material and reactive to light it should diffuse the light and glow like a big panel of light - sure enough it does!
The two light bars that are mounted internally and directed at the lycra displays 52 million different colours which you can have rolling and fading or have it react to the music (the control panel for that is discretely on the back) it's another nifty little bells and whistles thing!

Now for the one thing that i don't like about my cabinet - the speakers on the side! they look out of place and too modern for the retro look of the cab.
It would have been easy enough to mount them on the inside, but that would mean the sound would be coming out at 90 degree angles and wouldn't sound as good - they have to be where they are to project the sound forward (nice and balanced) and also the remote control 'eye' is inset into the left speaker so that need to be in view too!!!

At the end of the day I have to look at it for what it is (a machine that is designed to play music) and it sounds absolutely amazing as it is - very much like a BOSE sound system - eg crystal clear highs and mids, with a very powerful bass response that seems to come out of nowhere! I think that's a good trade off for having the speakers situated where they are, even if I don't really like them there ;)

Are they blue LEDs under the control panel ?

Yep! fits neatly into the recess under the CP! a total fluke, I didn't even plan it that way!!

What kind of remote is that one ? Where did you get it ?

It came with the sound system that I installed - it's a Logitec Z-cinema 2.1 system - I tested a lot of stuff out - this one instantly blew my mind!
Not only does it control the volume, bass, treble and virual surround, it's also controls SK Jukebox! INSANE!!!!!!!!!!

Black Tiger
9th May 2009, 09:42 PM
About the tumblers ... maybe David_AVD could rig something up so it activates the reels when you put a song in , or just randomly ?? :unsure

HA! that would be very cool! do you think it could be done? the way they work is quite interesting for 1973 technology - each reel has arm/hook that is pulled downward by and actuator, in that motion spins the reel.
The reels have little perforations in them with a light on one side and a light-receiver at the other - when all the perforations line up it tells the system it has a jackpot - it's pretty clever for it's time.

The reel housing comes out as one piece with two spring loaded mounts each side - it's freaky:

http://www.aussiearcade.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=10889&stc=1&d=1241863459

Dutchy
10th May 2009, 08:46 PM
Cheers Black Tiger, thanks for the heads up on the speakers, I'm gonna have to check them out.
Nice job all round

Bendragon
10th May 2009, 10:09 PM
Nice unit...Pantera for the win !

Black Tiger
10th May 2009, 11:30 PM
Cheers Black Tiger, thanks for the heads up on the speakers, I'm gonna have to check them out.
Nice job all round

I think you'll be impressed - I did actually see a BOSE 2.1 system on ebay that would have fitted in pretty much the same manner, but with a starting bid of $2500, that kind of put an end to that dream quick smart :cry

The Z-cinema comes in a bundle pack. I got it off ebay for a few hundred dollars, you can probably buy a cheaper one if you shop around.

I was really taking a colossal risk when I bought it, The two-way satellite speakers and long throw sub is what sold me, but I wasn't actually sure it was going to work for my application - it's active, so it needs it's own mains power, but the audio operates digitally via a USB link cable - I thought I was heading for a catastrophe right there, but it works perfectly!

Nice unit...Pantera for the win !

Dimebag was a hero of mine, some people say I am starting to even look like him ;)

Brad
11th May 2009, 08:56 AM
Nice look. I actually acquired an old pokie shell myself with the view of doing this. I'll try and design mine so the speakers aren't on the outside like that though. Not sure how yet =/

Brad

Mr Pubstuff
11th May 2009, 10:50 AM
wow, very impressive (and i'm not easily impressed)!
how much did it cost per metre landed (or do you have any leftover for the outside of a cocktail cabinet which im sure would look snippy) please?

poindexter
11th May 2009, 11:26 AM
Work of art Black Tiger.
Play the pokies and listen to tunes, perfect.
The light bars really set it off nicely.
Maybe a big set of JBL's away from the unit for speakers. :)

WOKA
11th May 2009, 11:26 AM
Great looking unit, I like it a lot..

You should hook up the original coin mech and get it to add credits for songs..! Drop 10c into the top and away you go..!

Z Cinema speakers look like the win..

Q. What OS are you running on this setup..? Media Centre, Vista..? Curious as to know how the speaker remote interacts with Windows / SK..

Black Tiger
11th May 2009, 09:56 PM
Nice look. I actually acquired an old pokie shell myself with the view of doing this. I'll try and design mine so the speakers aren't on the outside like that though. Not sure how yet =/

If I was able to mount them on the inside, I would have. It's the only thing I don't like about my project. Even though I made some nice solid brackets and made the wiring completely hidden / unseen - it breaks up it's 'streamlineness' if you know what I mean.

See how much better it looks when you don't see the speakers:

http://www.aussiearcade.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=10926&stc=1&d=1242042904

how long did it take to get the material here and how much did it cost per metre(or do you have any leftover for the outside of a cocktail cabinet which im sure would look snippy) please?

That would look awesome! it really is a great medium to work with and I have found it doesn't scratch easy.
The bit that I got was an off-cut, so unfortunately I've only got a few now very "off-cut" scrappy bits left over.
I got it from a bloke I know who works for a company who builds kitchens. Because modern kitchens are now favouring a lot of stainless steel fridges & dishwashers so they want their cupboards to match - so the demand for this SS 'look' MDF is high, so you should be able to get some from any place that makes custom kitchens.
I'm not sure how much a metre it costs, but it was me insanely cheaper than actual stainless steel that's for sure! :D

Work of art Black Tiger.
Play the pokies and listen to tunes, perfect.

:036: funny you should mention this. I'm a semi-professional musician and in the 90's when pokies were introduced into pubs, it totally killed our industry initially. It's recovered now of course, but when the pokies first came in, there was no need for live entertainment.
So with my project I feel like I have reclaimed what I lost buy putting music into a box that used to kill us! ;)

Maybe a big set of JBL's away from the unit for speakers. :)

Now you're talking!! :D it's doable too - with the Z-Cinema setup working by USB alone, the soundcard in the computer isn't actually being used, so it would be quite simple to set up some external speakers at the other side of the room.
Nice one poindexter :) my brain it ticking over already!

Black Tiger
11th May 2009, 10:42 PM
Great looking unit, I like it a lot..

You should hook up the original coin mech and get it to add credits for songs..! Drop 10c into the top and away you go..!

Stop giving me great ideas and making more work for me WOKA!! ha ha ha!!!!
Brilliant idea dude!! I could easily do this - the chute is still there inside and so is the original micro switch!! I will have to build some sort of box to retain the coins though - at the moment it will just drop somewhere in the dark void of the cab - which could cause a few fireworks! (literally) lol

Q. What OS are you running on this setup..? Media Centre, Vista..? Curious as to know how the speaker remote interacts with Windows / SK..

For my OS I am using XP "Dev6 edition" and Z-Cinema uses a special version of Windows Media Player as it's framework / engine. It comes supplied with the speakers :023: sweet!

WOKA
11th May 2009, 10:46 PM
Stop giving me great ideas and making more work for me WOKA!! ha ha ha!!!!
Brilliant idea dude!! I could easily do this - the chute is still there inside and so is the original micro switch!! I will have to build some sort of box to retain the coins though - at the moment it will just drop somewhere in the dark void of the cab - which could cause a few fireworks! (literally) lol

For my OS I am using XP "Dev6 edition" and Z-Cinema uses a special version of Windows Media Player as it's framework / engine. It comes supplied with the speakers :023: sweet!

Just use a length of 50mm dia plastic water pipe to guide the coins down safely.. And these speakers are sounding really interesting..

Mr Pubstuff
12th May 2009, 08:48 AM
whoops, i should have pointed out it was the material for the sides i meant, rather than the s/s laminate (which i can find thru contacts at ijf).

:)

Black Tiger
13th May 2009, 01:52 AM
whoops, i should have pointed out it was the material for the sides i meant, rather than the s/s laminate (which i can find thru contacts at ijf).

:)

Oh, you mean the snakeskin!! being American, they sell it by the "linear yard" [36inchs] in 42, 54 & 66inch wide rolls.

Being as expensive as it is to buy it from here, I got the exact measurements I need, so I don't have any left over sorry.
Here's the Web site (http://www.vibroworld.com/parts/tech11.html)
Check out all the different styles!! that arctic snakeskin (grey and white) is awesome! I came close to buying that initially!!

It's expensive because it's the real deal - the actual gear used by amplification companies. There is possibly someone in Australia who may sell the same thing, it's just that I saw it and HAD to have it. Once of those 'I can't wait, I gotta have it' things you know?

ozhomer
3rd June 2009, 08:08 AM
This has got me inspired to do a jukebox now. Great job :)

Black Tiger
6th June 2009, 02:59 PM
This has got me inspired to do a jukebox now. Great job :)

DO IT dude! it's very rewarding for the time you put into it, totally worth every cent!

Having limited time to myself, I fast-tracked mine by building it into an existing cabinet, though I imagine it would be more satisfying to do a scratch build.

Good luck and if there's anything you want to know, the guys in this forum at the ones to ask! ;)

Dannymh
15th June 2009, 04:33 PM
I am making mine at the moment, have the sides cut out and sanded back but waiting on a few more parts before I can start putting it together.

I am doing something similar with the grill at the bottom, blacklight and white cloth behind a blue car grill.

Out of curiosity how did you go about fixing your grill in place? Did you just bend it and tac it in or do you build it into a basic frame and fit that?

mxd
15th June 2009, 06:46 PM
on a similar note on the grill what did you use ?

Dannymh
16th June 2009, 08:25 AM
personally I am going to head down to Super Cheap auto and buy some car grill mesh there, its only $30 for 120 by 28cm

which should be ample amount IMO, unless there is a better suggestion

mxd
16th June 2009, 10:01 AM
I am planning to put a grill in front of the speakers (see picy) so I need around 700x750, I was thinking of looking for an old secruity door or something like that.

Dannymh
16th June 2009, 10:08 AM
yeah thats a bigger design than mine.

I am heading down the recycle centre today at lunch to look for some PC extraction fans and any mesh they have. Dont forget security doors rust so make sure you put plenty of treatment on them.

I would look around the various metal workers in your area too, especially 4wd centres.

I will let you know if I find anything good down the recycle centre today. Also how were you planning on fitting yours?

Here is an option too

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/STAINLESS-STEEL-MESH-316_W0QQitemZ180366720627QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Bui lding_Materials?hash=item29feb1be73&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A1|66%3A2|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1| 293%3A3|294%3A50

I will keep looking and post anything I find for you too mate

mxd
16th June 2009, 10:22 AM
I would like to have it so I can pull the grill on and off "quickly" so I can use that as a "door" to remove and replace the speakers. So I was contemplating doing hinge (piano) and have it as an actual door, either vertical or horizontal, then some locking mehanisn.

Still not too sure, still gotta get off the fat arse and get out there and finish it off :)

Dannymh
16th June 2009, 10:32 AM
So in other words, build a basic 4 sided frame and screw or attach the mesh/grille to that, then Piano hinges on that?

I am thinking something similar but without the hinges. I am building a door in the back of mine and it will be sitting on castors (have to remember to order them today).

So building a 4 sided frame and attaching the mesh to the frone wrapped aroudn the sides, mounting a cold cathode blacklight on the back with a bit of white fabric stretched beahind the grille, so it should glow niceley and I can then fit it into the cab fairly easily. It's the whole painting it and then having to attach the grille which is annoying me at the moment. I can really progress until I have this part sorted and figured out

mxd
16th June 2009, 10:47 AM
that's basically what I was thinking, I will have a door on the back, up high where the PC will be and I can reach around for the amp (will be sitting on a shelf above the speakers), then I thought I'd put a removable grill (need strong enough for kick panel) on the front to remove/replace the speakers when I move it around.

Dannymh
16th June 2009, 10:50 AM
check this place

http://www.metalmesh.com.au/cfm/index.cfm
and this thread on whirlpool

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.cfm/426504.html

Dannymh
16th June 2009, 12:14 PM
I have changed my design in my head now. I could do it with mesh but am going to buy some silver speaker cloth building the frame just like a standard speaker and since the front of mine is recessed have it sit flush with the top and bottom with standard clips. Have the black light behind this and it should look good in the light and dark. I just need to make sure it stays clean

Black Tiger
23rd June 2009, 11:44 AM
Out of curiosity how did you go about fixing your grill in place? Did you just bend it and tac it in or do you build it into a basic frame and fit that?

The grill material material I used was from a bloke who makes professional custom guitar and bass cabinets - it's the real deal, it's very heavy heavy grill - I looked at the stuff from Supercheap Auto and although it looked nice, it wasn't strong enough to put on the boom of a cabinet where feet often tread - all it would take is one small knock and the whole thing would be noticeably warped!!

With the grill I got, all you have to do it bend it around the edges (with a bending machine) and it becomes rock solid and attaches with tech screws from the inside.
I thought I would have to insulate it around the edges with rubber to stop the vibrations, but the stuff is so heavy that it's not needed! ;)