PDA

View Full Version : Quality or Quantity??

shootar75
4th May 2009, 12:55 PM
In a conundrum about what pin next for the games room....

Whether to get 1 nice pin to accompany my WCS or two pins for around the same price. Quality V Bang for your buck I guess.

Either a nice TOM or TZ. Can get a real nice TOM for 4k. Dont really know how much TZ goes for as havent seen one for sale for a while in Bris guessing about the same price :unsure

or

2 pins. JD & JP or Wh20. I like the theme of JD and JP is a good family allrounder.

Its a tough one. My office/games room can only fit 3 pins max at this stage.

Fish Tales
4th May 2009, 01:04 PM
Get what you really want. If you really desire a TOM or TZ then buy one. If you havent particularly got your heart set on either then buy 2 bang buck pins.

Talby
4th May 2009, 01:10 PM
I'm in the exact same position. I have the room and the clearance from the Minister of Finance to spend up to an amount that would get me a nice machine.

Then on the other hand, I have always tried to limit myself to spending no more than $2k on a machine (or thereabouts). This method has netted me WH20, BSD, Flintstones, Frankenstein and JP. They all needed some money spent on them of course but they are still relatively nice machines. So I've got 5 machines as opposed to maybe 2 big name machines.

I don't know what my next move will be, just depends what machine/s come up at the right price and location.

If you stick to the $2-2.5k price range you can still get some very nice, good playing machines and maybe have a few extra machines.......the more the merrier and better when mates come over.

ANT68
4th May 2009, 01:26 PM
IMO TZ is a kick ass game :cool.thumb:,because of the deep rule set it could take you a month to get into it , but once there ,well there's no turning back .It would be a keeper if you where to buy one ,and if you decided to sell ,it would sell in a flash.
On the flip side you could buy a couple of good games keep them for a while and turn them over ,
Comes down to $$ and how much you want to screw around with them .

Check out a few reviews,you can get a game rated 9-10 (rule set) but has a shit house rating of 3-5 (artwork/back glass) ,very under rated and they go for a real good price . :unsure

Good quality HUO pins are good ,but hard to find.

shootar75
4th May 2009, 01:28 PM
Yeah its a hard call. Honestly the most enjoyment i get from pins is having friends/family enjoy them.

TO & TZ are great games but they would be more of a selfish purchase for my enjoyment, whereas the other Bang4Buckers mentioned are probably a bit easier for people to get into........

Anyone got a TZ or TOM they are willing to part with? Also what type of dough do TZ's go for?

bwodie
4th May 2009, 01:29 PM
a little of column a and a little of column b :)

shootar75
4th May 2009, 01:31 PM
a little of column a and a little of column b :)

I hear ya.

I'm trying to kid myself that I wont end up spending a shitload anyway and getting a TZ/tom and another cheaper pin :rolleyes

ANT68
4th May 2009, 01:36 PM
Yeah its a hard call. Honestly the most enjoyment i get from pins is having friends/family enjoy them.

TO & TZ are great games but they would be more of a selfish purchase for my enjoyment, whereas the other Bang4Buckers mentioned are probably a bit easier for people to get into........

Anyone got a TZ or TOM they are willing to part with? Also what type of dough do TZ's go for?

TZ $3300-$5000+ depending on quality and mods .
One of my pins is a Gilligans Island ,very basic games with good artwork and good music .I'm a bit bias as I am a Gilligans Fan.they go from around $2000-2500.
T2 is good also ,I know of a member here that maybe selling his T2 ??

bwodie
4th May 2009, 01:37 PM
I love my tz so so much but it would be hard to get rid of my wh20!
tz 3500-5k depending location and condition
So, id go the wh20 , keep the left over cash and save the rest for a TZ
its all personal taste :)

Bluebear
4th May 2009, 01:40 PM
I hear ya Shootar - im sitting in the same spot. Games room all painted and a nice wad of cash waiting for a WH20 and JP to fill the space i have left for them.

Pesky people need to sell more of these things as i'm getting impatient :lol

But back to your post i feel the same way about having people enjoy my machines - there needs to be a balance between what you want and what other people enjoy. As long as you get a decent deal you most likely won't loose money so whatever you decide isn't really a permanent option.

Best of luck mate,
Steve

Pop Bumper Pete
4th May 2009, 01:40 PM
Shooter, I do not think that you will go wrong purchacing any of the machines you list
All will bring you a lot of fun

I would keep the money handy, keep your eyes open and find a machine that is in good condition

sleazius
4th May 2009, 01:44 PM
If you have room for 3 machines, thats what you'll ultimately end up with. I like to have a range of machines that cater to different levels of skill. Your mileage may vary, but I suspect given that you've got room for 3, you'll end up with 3.

So if it were me, given that you're already holding a WCS (beginners pin) I'd look to get something of a middle difficulty, or, if you can afford to buy 2 pins (you might have to stretch the budget), pick up something deep, and something else halfway between the deep pin, and WCS.

TZ + (one of JD, JP or WH20) + WCS would be a very sexy lineup catering to a diverse skill set :)

Fish Tales
4th May 2009, 01:54 PM
After playing Jule's pins almost all the newy boys agreed that WH20 was boring, and TZ just too hard to get into (you prob need to love this pin before buying it).

What we really rated were Champion Pub, RFM, HS2, and Guns and Roses.

shootar75
4th May 2009, 01:56 PM
TZ + (one of JD, JP or WH20) + WCS would be a very sexy lineup catering to a diverse skill set :)

Yeah I'm pretty sure this is the route i will go. Sort of needed to throw it out there to get some suggestions as I am only getting back into into it after a 10 year hiatus...

Just need people to sell me their pins now ;)

silverball
4th May 2009, 02:39 PM
could never get into TZ although I tried.....I owned a mint one and let it go,without regret. There are many other great players for the fraction of the price.

Try before you buy.

shootar75
4th May 2009, 03:12 PM
could never get into TZ although I tried.....I owned a mint one and let it go,without regret. There are many other great players for the fraction of the price.

Try before you buy.

I guess that is the best advice of all, but TZ isnt a game that you instantly fall in love with. TOM on the other hand is a pearler straight up.

Goddamned decisions :realmad:

Mango
4th May 2009, 03:21 PM
I would go with 2 qand try and go something different.

If I could have 3 machines I would get an older SS game, maybe a flash or similar and maybe even an EM for some diversity.

For me the advantage of having 3 machines is that you can flip between them depending on mood or how you feel like playing whether you just want to bash some targets or play some ramp mania :)

prowler
4th May 2009, 03:22 PM
I'm also in the same position. Interestingly there are a couple of others in the same position. What about those of us that are wanting pins pool our money and get a container full from overseas?

BrissyGuy
4th May 2009, 03:23 PM
I don't even own one machine yet, but i think i'd prefer two decent machines over one more expensive machine. More variety, more fun for mates when they come around. A few people have mentioned JP here, must be a good one. Might be one i should look into. I need to find a shop in Brisbane where i can go and try out these pinballs.

prowler
4th May 2009, 03:27 PM
Good luck finding that shop!!!!

shootar75
4th May 2009, 03:35 PM
I'm also in the same position. Interestingly there are a couple of others in the same position. What about those of us that are wanting pins pool our money and get a container full from overseas?

Might leave that to the pros....

BrissyGuy
4th May 2009, 03:48 PM
Good luck finding that shop!!!!

Yeah, don't exist hey.

ANT68
4th May 2009, 03:53 PM
Some reading for the newbies
http://www.ipdb.org/
http://pinside.com/pinball/top-100
http://www.pinballreviews.com/trev.htm

furballx
4th May 2009, 05:10 PM
You picked two good pins for my money. TZ is on my want list when cash is available. JD was my first pin and there is no way on earth I am giving it up any time soon. If you know that these are titles you want just go for the one that presents itself in good nick first up. You will kick yourself if you pass up a nice pin and then can't find one in that good a condition again. There are a lot of over priced pins out there, but there are genuine bargins to be had as well.
Dave.

Beast
4th May 2009, 05:51 PM
A nice dilemma to have Shootar....

TZ & ToM both great pins, deeper than average rulesets, would be hard to play a few games on these and like them.

JP is another great game that is a bit under-rated...a lot to do on this pin with plenty of modes and won't get bored with it quickly.

Have found that different WH20 pins play quite different from each other more so than other pins....so I would play one of these a few times to make sure it plays like it should be...

One of each sounds the way to go....just my 2 cents worth:D