PDA

View Full Version : Is this a PSU problem?

Mickey Juice
28th April 2009, 10:42 AM
Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on my PC problem...

For well over a year I've had a problem booting my machine.
It will either not POST at all or there will be constant long beeps:
beeeeeeeep <pause> beeeeeeep <pause> beeeeeep. etc etc

It'll take about 10 goes sometimes to get it to start. I solved the problem by never turning it off ;) (being a leech box I never bothered).

Now lately when I've been using it, it will stop dead ie no BSOD, just turns off like pulling the plug.

Reckon it's the PSU?

David_AVD
28th April 2009, 10:45 AM
Could be PSU, RAM, Video Card, Mainboard.

I'd probably reseat the RAM, and if no improvement change the PSU out.

Mickey Juice
28th April 2009, 10:50 AM
Could be PSU, RAM, Video Card, Mainboard.

I'd probably reseat the RAM, and if no improvement change the PSU out.

hmmm I'll try the RAM... plus I've got a spare PSU here at work, so I'll test it first.

I assume newer PSU's are backwards compatible? (mine is a P4 system.. Asus BE-7 RAID mobo)

David_AVD
28th April 2009, 11:25 AM
You'll have to check the PSU has the appropriate connectors. ATX20 vs ATX24 pin and the square 4 pin 12V one, etc.

Brad
28th April 2009, 12:09 PM
Most PSU's these days have both and are adaptable.

Brad

Womble
28th April 2009, 02:53 PM
Think of the powersupply as the foundations of a house, if the foundations are flaky it can cause weird effects to anything relying on it. Boot issues could well be powersupply issues.

Although the beep code should tell you something based on the pattern of beeps.

1) reseat all RAM
2) reseat all cards including the gfx card.
3) check that the gfx card has an extra power connector properly connected (if it needs one). If there is a molex connector, or a 4 pin connector on the end of the gfx card it cant get enough power from the slot, this may cause boot issues, but probably wouldnt show up until you put it into powerhungry 3D mode.

Mickey Juice
28th April 2009, 03:30 PM
Think of the powersupply as the foundations of a house, if the foundations are flaky it can cause weird effects to anything relying on it. Boot issues could well be powersupply issues.

Although the beep code should tell you something based on the pattern of beeps.

1) reseat all RAM
2) reseat all cards including the gfx card.
3) check that the gfx card has an extra power connector properly connected (if it needs one). If there is a molex connector, or a 4 pin connector on the end of the gfx card it cant get enough power from the slot, this may cause boot issues, but probably wouldnt show up until you put it into powerhungry 3D mode.

Yeah I know the GFX card has an extra power connection. I remember it not booting yonks ago and it threw up an error after post saying it wasn't connected properly.

Womble
28th April 2009, 05:02 PM
Yeah I know the GFX card has an extra power connection. I remember it not booting yonks ago and it threw up an error after post saying it wasn't connected properly.

My gfx card has a buzzer on it that goes off like a fricken siren if the extra power feed is lost. Couldn't work out what the hell it was, sounded like a car alarm going off down by the skirting board :rolleyes

Mickey Juice
18th June 2009, 10:31 AM
Further to this problem... I was testing PSU's and noticed the 12v connector (that plugs in next to the CPU) has scorch marks on it's metal connectors.

I'll post a pic soon, but would this indicate a mobo problem or PSU?

I'd just get a 2nd hand P4 mobo to replace it... but I'm running a RAID atm (Asus BE7-RAID), so can't just swap them out :(

Womble
18th June 2009, 10:38 AM
It indicates a poor connection between the socket and the mobo more than anything else. Sounds like its been arcing, easy to fix tho, using some thing pliers slightly bend the contacts so they make a tighter connection.

Mickey Juice
18th June 2009, 10:41 AM
okie dokie, will try that.
Is it worth giving it spray with electrical PCB cleaner to try and remove the scorch marks?

Womble
18th June 2009, 10:42 AM
Only on the connector, leave the marks on the board alone, its possible that you could do more damage trying to clean it off.

Mickey Juice
19th June 2009, 10:09 AM
Some pics

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/6049/p1010620.jpg

http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/5790/p1010619i.jpg

Womble
19th June 2009, 10:16 AM
Yup - that puppy has been arcing badly. Use a pin and you can remove the metal contacts from the plastic body for cleaning.

If it was mine I would probably chop it off and replace it but there is probably no need. One side of the connection is looser than it should be. Could be the mobo socket, or the cable plug, careful bending should fix it if you make it tighter.

Mickey Juice
19th June 2009, 11:01 AM
Yup - that puppy has been arcing badly. Use a pin and you can remove the metal contacts from the plastic body for cleaning.

If it was mine I would probably chop it off and replace it but there is probably no need. One side of the connection is looser than it should be. Could be the mobo socket, or the cable plug, careful bending should fix it if you make it tighter.

Thanks.
I'd chop it off too, but I don't have the proper crimping tool or parts

Mickey Juice
2nd September 2009, 11:48 AM
This 'puter is getting worse... so I'm going to upgrade for an i7 system (first major overhaul in 6 years so not bad)...

So quick off topic question, can you put RAID0 drives into another mobo that supports RAID? (without having to reformat? or lose data).
Just as a temp measure I want to put my 2x HDDs into another PC that is a bit more solid!

David_AVD
2nd September 2009, 02:11 PM
I wouldn't think so. Even without the raid factor, a Windows HDD that boots up in a different hardware box will be unhappy. It may struggle through and load new drivers but it may also turn to poo real quick.

Mickey Juice
2nd September 2009, 05:54 PM

Do you (or anyone here) know where I can get the same type of connector/crimps ? I'm going to replace the whole thing.

David_AVD
2nd September 2009, 06:59 PM
Maybe cut one off and old PSU ?

I may have some at AVD if you can't find anything local.