PDA

View Full Version : Raiden broken :(

Jinxer
27th April 2009, 09:08 PM
Hi arcade lovers,
I just recieved from the US a jamma board "raiden"

It has a small circuit board broken off it, was sticking straight up from the board at 90 degrees and something has sat on the packaging and snapped it off.

Looks like a simple solder the pins back on type job, but as Im not too good with fiddly things (im better at breaking things like this :()

Is there anyone I can send this too to have a look at, would be a shame if I have to just bin it, expecially since I havent even seen it running yet?

I would pay for any postage etc and for someones time of course,

Thanks in advance.
Jinxer

cal2
27th April 2009, 10:08 PM
I could do it for you, but I leave in France

Jinxer
28th April 2009, 12:06 AM
thanks very much, but i believe the postage would be a killer :)

cal2
28th April 2009, 12:07 AM
that's also my point of view ;)

Womble
28th April 2009, 07:17 AM
Am happy to take a look for you if no one in WA pops up. Is there no track damage or damage to the sip board, hairline cracks can be killers.

Jinxer
28th April 2009, 11:39 AM
im not sure what its called, but a little board by itself that rises from the main board has snapped off at the pins.

will add a picture tonight when I get home, i believe it will just be a simple soldering job, I just dont have the finesse and tools to solder that small

Womble
28th April 2009, 02:39 PM
Usually they are part of the sound system,, often an audio mixer, unless there is major board damage you may be able to power it up without it (don't if you are not sure), you will probably find that the samples and or chip sound effects are missing.

narf_
28th April 2009, 11:22 PM
maybe try jomac down in perth mate

and welcome aboard

Jinxer
29th April 2009, 02:01 AM
Photos

Thanks for all the help womble you sound like you know what you are doing.

Do these photos shed any more light on the problem

Jomac
29th April 2009, 02:22 AM
Photos

Thanks for all the help womble you sound like you know what you are doing.

Do these photos shed any more light on the problem

It is common on these boards for those chips to get a few broken legs but to be broken off like that is not good , if any of the pins have been pulled out of the chip that has broken off it is history , Snapped off completely like that means it has been badly handled , this might only be one of many indications of deeper issues.
It is also possible that tracks have been ripped off the board itself , if it is only a matter of soldering this IC back on and it works I would go out a get a lotto ticket :)
But you never know your luck .

Womble
29th April 2009, 09:47 AM
It looks like that was wrenched off with some force unfortunately. It might be fixable but I would probably have to resort to using a dremel to cut back the black coating in the hope of finding metal underneath that I could attach new pins to, I have fixed many chips using that method. It is by no means guaranteed to work however. Its hard to tell without looking at it in person what my chances would be.

The only consolation may be that as most o fthe metalwork is still attached to the board there is less chance that any tracks got torn off.

If you wanna post it over I will take a look for you, if you can cover the postage I will see what I can do.

SectionZ
3rd May 2009, 05:12 PM
I have a parts board with that part intact (pretty sure it works too as I did get it running briefly) It would be better to replace it.

VectorGlow
10th May 2009, 07:27 PM
That custom often breaks off Raiden boards (due to bad storage/handling), I have a few Raiden boards with it missing - the custom handles the mixing and final RGB video output, so with it broken off like that you're not going to get a picture I'm afraid.

As Womble says, it would be possible to use a dremel to grind back the black coating on the chip and to then attach new wire to the stubs in order to attach the custom to the board (best to put it in a socket - cut a 40-pin DIP socket in half, put the two halves end to end and trim one to fit (the custom has 22 pins). Quite a bit of work involved with the dremel but do-able (have done it myself on similar customs, as well as surface mounted customs with much smaller pins and finer pin spacing). :)