PDA

View Full Version : Taito Skilltester, interesting but frustrating fault

arcadus
17th April 2009, 09:36 AM
To explain fault:
Press button A- carriage moves out until button is released.
Press button B carriage moves across until button is released.
Claw instantly drops to pick up prize.
Retraction of the claw is operated by a pulley system which relies on the weight of the claw to keep it in place.
When the claw has reached the floor the weight is taken off the pulley which moves across and operates the reversing switch enabling claw to pull up.
Fault : intermittantly, from every time upto 15-20 times, the carriage would go out and across but the claw would be instantly in pull up mode.
Trip the reversing switch and everything would be OK.
Replaced reversing micro switch, checked relays, connections, everything electrical.
Problem: THE CORD WAS TOO SHORT!
Nine out of ten times the claw would land on its claws but when the claw fell over, the cord was too short to take the weight off the pulley system.
The cord would run past the anchor point on the pulley and wind up the other way giving the appearance that the motor had reversed.
Of course when the carriage went out again, the motor was still in wind down mode but with cord wound the other way, it was pulling up until the reversing switch was tripped by hand.
Thought I would share this bastard "non electrical" fault.

Crafty
17th April 2009, 10:52 AM
I hate skilltesters :lol

I had a very similar issue with mine, took me ages to sort it out.

Thanks for the write up. a few photo's might help others as well.:)

David_AVD
17th April 2009, 01:26 PM
That's a great bit of useful info there Ralph. :023:

I'm going to cut down the Jumbo Skilltester later this year, so will keep that in mind when working out the drop depth.