PDA

View Full Version : No ship explosion sound in Galaga

Darksoul
13th August 2006, 09:59 AM
Dusted off a MAME cabinet I made last year and fired it up.

Everything worked fine apart from Galaga and Galaga (fast shoot). All sound is fine apart from when your ship explodes, there is no sound for that explosion. All other sounds are fine.

Running in WIn98se.
Front end is GameLauncher
MAME .67 (I think)

Suggestions?
:unsure

The Pinny Parlour
13th August 2006, 11:18 AM
Load a later version of mame with the accompanying romsets. 0.106 is a good choice, its the release before all the video modes where changed.

elvis
13th August 2006, 11:43 AM
In the older version of MAME, Galaga required sound samples to hear ingame audio. Sounds to me like you're missing that sample.

As Pinny said, the easiest thing to do is update your MAME set to a recent release where the samples aren't necessary.

MadMikeAU
13th August 2006, 12:33 PM
Or record your voice saying "Bugger!" and use that as the sample.

Darksoul
13th August 2006, 01:44 PM
I should have also said that I have the same setup on my second mame cabinet and the explosion sound is present.

The Pinny Parlour
13th August 2006, 01:48 PM
I should have also said that I have the same setup on my second mame cabinet and the explosion sound is present.
What elvis said then, samples.

elvis
13th August 2006, 03:07 PM
Yup. Sounds like you copied the "roms" folder across, but forgot to copy the "samples" folder across. :)

Arcade King
13th August 2006, 03:38 PM
They should have stuck with samples, at least it was more accurate.

elvis
13th August 2006, 05:56 PM
They should have stuck with samples, at least it was more accurate.
Samples by definition are innacurate, as they will always have the innacuracies of whatever output amplifiers/equipment that sat between them and the listener's ear.

At least via emulation, the underlying calculations are accurate (in the case of Galaga at least - there are notable instances where games are non-emulatable).

Purists will argue that MAME doesn't sound the same, but they are often confused by the fact that they are listening to the games through PC speakers, and not the same sort of amp/speaker system of the old hardware. MAME only cares about the hardware on the PCB. Whatever sits between that at the user (screens, inputs, speakers, etc) is not MAME's concern.

The same argument goes for folks who complain MAME looks ugly on a PC monitor. All I can say is "well duh - use an arcade monitor".

Darksoul
14th August 2006, 04:07 PM
I checked the samples folder in MAME, galaga sample was there.

Replaced it anyway with a fresh copy of the sample and it worked.

Corrupted sample file?
:unsure

Anyways it works now.

elvis
14th August 2006, 04:34 PM
Corrupted sample file?
Yup. MAME stores CRC32 checksums of all files to be loaded (roms, samples, or anything else). If the CRC32 doesn't match, the sample won't load.

That's the same reason you can actually call your rom zipfile anything you like and force it to load in MAME. MAME will look at the CRC32 to find out the game driver you are trying to load. The name itself means very little.

wilddazz
15th August 2006, 09:28 PM
yEah get the samples shame that sound is sooo crap especially when the speakers are up ewwwwww!!