PDA

View Full Version : What's The Deal with Dreamcast???

Crafty
13th August 2006, 09:21 AM
Hello All

This is probably a stooopid question, but what's the deal with the Dreamcast Console. I was watching this thread
Sega Dreamcast broadband adapters x 2 (Virgil Tracy)
and can see that it's something..

Just not sure what. With x-boxs and PS2's around why are you all so enthralled with this piece of hardware...

Just asking, sounds like I might need one...

Virgil Tracy
13th August 2006, 09:27 AM
In my opinion one of the most underrated consoles of all time, I have three and a about 100 games. Over all I find it is just good fun and it has many high quality arcade ports.

Arcade King
13th August 2006, 09:34 AM
Agreed.
Poor marketing in Australia and the legion of brand name sony fanbois was the downfall here.
The DC was a far better console than the PS2 and its a shame that the popularity of the beast came far too late.

Crafty
13th August 2006, 09:53 AM
In my opinion one of the most underrated consoles of all time, I have three and a about 100 games. Over all I find it is just good fun and it has many high quality arcade ports.

The reason I ask is I noticed that there seemed to be a significant number of games that I see in the arcade that are available for the Dreamcast, and as in the future I wish to put together a driving cabinet it seems like a dreamcast might be a must have. Also noticed the idea of connectivity which would be a BIG plus for games like Daytona, Sega Rally etc etc..

rottenpig
13th August 2006, 10:14 AM
yeah, the dreamcast is my best console and i think it has the best arcade ports. the graphics are unreal for the time it was released and still hold up today. the controller is awesome and the games... house of the dead, f355 challenge, daytona, sega rally, m vs c, bass fishing, crazy taxi, soul caliber, marvel vs dc 2, virtua tennis, gauntlet legends, power stone, the list goes on.

Mrvfone
13th August 2006, 11:13 AM
The dreamcast was based around the next evloution of the NEC PowerVR CPU. "Kyro" i think was the next version after the "PCX1". I think it was one of the first consults to use bump mapping. The CPU was also avalible on PC on an PCI card. the VideoLogic Apoclypise 3D and a 5D with the ET 6100 and 4.45 MB of MDRAM.

As you can tell i had 1 of each of these.. (I still have the 3D some were..) They were released around the same time as 3DFX came to PC. The power VR was heaps better.. But no one knew it... So.. it just disaperared....

Videologic and NEC developed it.. But i think Video logic changed there name a while back.

Here they are.. http://www.imgtec.com/

http://www.imgtec.com/powervr/products/

Here is some more on the "Kyro" line (After the dreamcast CPU)

http://www.segatech.com/powervr/index.html

But thats a quick histoy of its main grafics CPU. ;)

Mrv.

snippy
14th August 2006, 02:46 PM
You can add me to the list of "people who think the dreamcast is one of the most under rated gaming systems out there".

It really is a pity that it's life appeared to be cut short due to poor/no marketing (especially in australia) ?!

Awesome system with awesome games for it's time. Crazy taxi, virtua tennis, sega gt racing, power stone, soul calibre, tokyo highway extreme etc. Just this weekend I was playing sf3 on it with the dreamcast arcade stick, just shitted off that I can't find my VGA adapter for it. Or my guns... Grr. I had 2 guns and 4 controllers and a vga adapter, can't bloody find them! all i can find is my arcade stick.

Snippy.

AsH_
22nd September 2006, 11:22 PM
DC was an awesome console... i bought it as soon as it was available...

Sonic was soo kool... i remember playing it for ages...

yeh too bad it died out soooo quickly here...

lid2000
23rd September 2006, 02:12 AM
Greatest console ever. I wasted so much of my life (and money) on it... Crazy Taxi, Ecco, Shenmue, Shenmue II, House Of The Dead, Rez, Space Channel 5 (1 and 2), Sonic Adventure, Sonic Adventure 2 (the parts where you actually play as Sonic, anyway), Soul Calibur, Virtua Fighter 3tb, Headhunter, Resident Evil: Code Veronica, Skies Of Arcadia... happy times! I can't believe how much crap I imported for that thing. I also used to have the electronic maracas for Samba De Amigo! And PSO... Wow, that used to be like gaming heroin back in the day. Can't wait for Phantasy Star Universe.

Did anyone else have the cool memory cards with the LCDs? I had Pacman on mine. :D

I had the fishing rod too. My (now ex) girlfriend used to be totally addicted to Sega Bass Fishing. And Virtua Tennis.

Unfortunately my console has been crapping out lately, refusing to load games, rebooting at random, stuff like that. I'll have to pull it to bits one day and see if I can figure out the problem.

stu
24th September 2006, 12:07 AM
Greatest console ever. I wasted so much of my life (and money) on it... Crazy Taxi, Ecco, Shenmue, Shenmue II, House Of The Dead, Rez, Space Channel 5 (1 and 2), Sonic Adventure, Sonic Adventure 2 (the parts where you actually play as Sonic, anyway), Soul Calibur, Virtua Fighter 3tb, Headhunter, Resident Evil: Code Veronica, Skies Of Arcadia... happy times! I can't believe how much crap I imported for that thing. I also used to have the electronic maracas for Samba De Amigo! And PSO... Wow, that used to be like gaming heroin back in the day. Can't wait for Phantasy Star Universe.

Did anyone else have the cool memory cards with the LCDs? I had Pacman on mine. :D

I had the fishing rod too. My (now ex) girlfriend used to be totally addicted to Sega Bass Fishing. And Virtua Tennis.

Unfortunately my console has been crapping out lately, refusing to load games, rebooting at random, stuff like that. I'll have to pull it to bits one day and see if I can figure out the problem.

My DC was doing exactly the same thing as yours. I actually came across a post which i sourced for you that is so retartedly simple its stupid.

This is the first one and the one that totally fixed my DC 100%

http://shibathedog.1emulation.com/resetting_no_settings_fix.htm

This is the second one for the dc laser fix

http://shibathedog.1emulation.com/gd_rom_align.htm

I hope its ok to link to these posts here as they are from another forum...hehe my first post ;)
Hope this helps you and anyone else

Virgil Tracy
24th September 2006, 06:16 AM
Links are fine.

Welcome to the forum and please feel free to contribute when you can.

elvis
24th September 2006, 07:04 AM
The reason I ask is I noticed that there seemed to be a significant number of games that I see in the arcade that are available for the Dreamcast
You just hit the nail on the head mate.

A brief modern-history lesson:

Sega released a piece of hardware called the Sega Naomi. It was well ahead of it's time in terms of quality 3D graphics and raw grunt power. It was also very good at delivering high-speed 2D, unlike other 3D systems out there (would you believe that the Playstation2 hardware struggles to spit out the same volume of 2D sprites that the Dreamcast can?).

System16's list of Naomi titles:
http://www.system16.com/list.php?type=h&search=naomi

That's not a small bloody list.

Note the Naomi hardware: 200MHz SH-4 CPU with PowerVR video. It could run Sega's own custom OS, or WindowsCE with DirectX7, which meant PC developers found it easy to use also.

The Naomi also had a "GD-Rom" version later, which was essentially a dual-layer CDROM.

Now, check the specs for the Sega Dreamcast:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dreamcast#Technical_specifications

What do you notice? The Dreamcast is merely a Naomi with a bit less memory! That makes arcade to home console ports quick and easy for developers, and means home users can get arcade-perfect titles VERY easily. Something that before the Dreamcast was difficult due to hardware limitations, and after the Dreamcast difficult due to hardware differences (play any of the Naomi games that have been ported to PS2, and see just how shit a job they did in the porting).

A little later, Sega (now partnering with Sammy) brought out a cut-down version of the Naomi for arcades: the Atomiswave:
http://www.system16.com/hardware.php?id=812

This is actually identical to Dreamcast hardware, only missing the GD-ROM drive.

Sadly the Dreamcast flopped in almost all locations mostly due to poor marketing. Sega make great hardware and great games, but never push them as much on the public as Nintendo, Sony, etc. Sadly, the public is generally rather stupid, and needs to be told what to buy. Sega treated the public like individual thinkers, and paid the price.

Browse around sites like Dreamcast-Scene and their attached forums, and you'll see there is still a huge Dreamcast following worldwide:
http://www.dreamcast-scene.com/

And believe it or not, there are some independant developers still selling Dreamcast games. Although they come out maybe once a year, I've bouhgt two Dreamcast titles recently: Radirgy (http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-x-49-en-70-14o0.html) and the very brilliant helicopter shoot-em-up: Under Defeat (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Under_Defeat). Under Defeat particularly shows off the fantastic power of the Dreamcast. You see trees blow around from your helicopter blades, and the explosions are the best I've ever seen in a 3D game, period.

And finally, I say this without remorse as Sega are no longer making money from either the console nor the games: the Sega GD-ROM was a prorpietary format designed to stop software piracy. Sega unfortunately left CD-ROM code in their BIOS, meaning pirates quickly cracked this and made games available for download that didn't require a mod-chip to run. Some blame this for the death of the Dreamcast, but in an era before broadband and P2P networks I somehow doubt that.

The good news is for modern day Dreamcast collectors, games are easy and cheap to come by. Generally I abhor this kind of behaviour for money-making devices, but again the Dreamcast is a write-off, and copying these games (asides from the 2 or 3 new ones which I urge Dreamcast users to BUY) is not depriving anyone of feeding their kids.

Great console based on killer arcade hardware with an interesting past. Thank you for listening.

catty
24th September 2006, 09:21 AM
Under defeat looks awsome. This is the type of games that I love. Why to game developers and companies seem to think that a 2d ( am I right to say it is 2d) is dead and no one wants to play it. :unsure

elvis
24th September 2006, 09:51 AM
am I right to say it is 2d

3D graphics but play is in a 2D plane / playing field. Close enough to 2D. :)

"Developers" have little to do with choices in games. The publishers are the ones paying the checks and pulling the strings. These are the people who make the calls most of the time when it comes to mainstream gaming.

And currently the thing that sells games is not gameplay but this giant e-penis competition between console makers as to who can make the prettiest games. Nobody cares if the game itself is shit or not. Unlike arcades, once you've made an initial sale in the console world you don't have to worry about needing return customers.

lid2000
24th September 2006, 01:03 PM
My DC was doing exactly the same thing as yours. I actually came across a post which i sourced for you that is so retartedly simple its stupid.

This is the first one and the one that totally fixed my DC 100%

http://shibathedog.1emulation.com/resetting_no_settings_fix.htm

This is the second one for the dc laser fix

http://shibathedog.1emulation.com/gd_rom_align.htm

I hope its ok to link to these posts here as they are from another forum...hehe my first post ;)
Hope this helps you and anyone else

Thanks! I've done the first one before (and also tried cleaning the prongs with metho), but I haven't seen the one for aligning the laser before. I'll give that a go this arvo!

Crafty
25th September 2006, 10:32 AM
Thanks for the history lesson Elvis...

I love the info that all you guys have/share...

I can add myself to the Dreamcast Owners club now...

skid
26th September 2006, 01:54 PM
Sorry for joining this thread late.

I bought my first dreamcast a couple months ago. Reason was that I could not get quality ports of Daytona USA and Gauntlet Legends on any other console for a decent price. Capcom Vs SNK 2 is pretty good too. The console is worth every cent.

feebmc
30th September 2006, 01:23 AM
I couldn't agree more about the dreamcast , i am still waiting somewhat desperatly for shenmue 3. The games had something about them which made them seem fun and new unlike the ps2 which i bought later and never used .

elvis
30th September 2006, 09:13 AM
i am still waiting somewhat desperatly for shenmue 3.

You and about a billion other people. :)

stu
30th September 2006, 10:18 AM
I gotta say it, i am a huge console gamer right from the days of the NES, i played those SNES RPG games until i fell asleep many many nights......but after the SNES there was the playstation and then my interest just died. Until i got my DC....i can remember we had Marvel VS Capcom 2 and Capcom Vs SNK 2......i have never ever played 2 fighting games more than that, there was three of us in the house and we all just used to rotate that little dc arcade stick like crazy....if there was someone in our house the DC would be going. I think because to me that was really the first time i could get the arcade experience sort of in my house. And at heart i've always been an arcade gamer ;) my 2c