PDA

View Full Version : Please explain.... (48 in 1 boards)

jstr
12th April 2009, 12:31 AM
Hello,

I am considering buying a 48 in 1 board for my cocktail, and just wondering the following:

1. How stable are these things? Do they just die? Is static as devastating to them as with the original PCBs? Do they last, or are there many that die within a few years?

2. How bad are the sound issues that people are reporting? Is it the music out of sync, or the wrong tune, or terribly distorted? Would a person who has never played the game before notice that something was amiss?

3. My power supply (which I suspect is about 20 years old) is returning 5.3 V instead of 5V, and 10.5V rather than 12V. I am about to rewire the entire case to JAMMA so it wouldn't be a hassle to replace the power supply. Should I bother?

4. Does anyone know how this board work? Is it emulating the games on a modern CPU, or does it have a few z80s sitting it, or does it use something super fancy like an fpga?

5. Would Gamedudes $109 AA members discount be the cheapest way to acquire one of these boards?

6. Continue does work on these boards, but involve jumping back to the menu? In a configuration where only 1 game is setup, would continue work normally?

Sorry, a lot of questions there. If anyone can shed some light on any of this I would be very grateful.

Regards,

Jesse

dezbaz
12th April 2009, 12:43 AM
Hello,
I am considering buying a 48 in 1 board for my cocktail, and just wondering the following:
1. How stable are these things? Do they just die? Is static as devastating to them as with the original PCBs? Do they last, or are there many that die within a few years?
2. How bad are the sound issues that people are reporting? Is it the music out of sync, or the wrong tune, or terribly distorted? Would a person who has never played the game before notice that something was amiss?
3. My power supply (which I suspect is about 20 years old) is returning 5.3 V instead of 5V, and 10.5V rather than 12V. I am about to rewire the entire case to JAMMA so it wouldn't be a hassle to replace the power supply. Should I bother?
4. Does anyone know how this board work? Is it emulating the games on a modern CPU, or does it have a few z80s sitting it, or does it use something super fancy like an fpga?
5. Would Gamedudes $109 AA members discount be the cheapest way to acquire one of these boards?
6. Continue does work on these boards, but involve jumping back to the menu? In a configuration where only 1 game is setup, would continue work normally?
Sorry, a lot of questions there. If anyone can shed some light on any of this I would be very grateful.
Regards,
Jesse

They are great, and don't just die.

The sound is good, galaxian is not right, but hey, no-one really ever picks it.
I do suggest replace the PS if it's an option
Static hasn't been a prob for me, I forgot all about that and all of mine are still alive.
There is only continue on some games IE 1943 etc, not sure of others
Anyone?
$109 is a good price
Just do it, stop worrying they are great.

rod71
12th April 2009, 01:14 AM
Sound is a mixed bag.

The Namco games like pac man, galaga are pretty spot on.

The sounds in galaxian and moon cresta are in a lower key and sound off. As well as missing the fire sound.

Konami games like time pilot are distorted and need to be turned right down.

If you are not familiar with the games you probably wont notice all that much. Just crank a few tunes in the background and everything will be good :)

longreach
12th April 2009, 02:22 AM
My experience is pretty limited, my 48-in-1 is my first arcade machine. One thing that does bug me is that it doesn't record names on the high scores, just the actual score which kinda sucks. 1943 does do the continue, but you have to briefly go back to the menu (automatic...not really a hassle, but annoying to me)

Have had no problems with audio sounding terrible or anything. I wouldn't notice stuff like a lower key or anything tho.

Foot
12th April 2009, 07:04 AM
Like the others said some games have shocking sound (eg Scramble) but overall these boards are great little units.

Gamedudes members price is most likely the cheapest you'll find in AU

biggeorge
12th April 2009, 08:54 AM
In my opinion you get a $109 board for your money.

If you spend $200 more and buy a PC, you can run MAME and there won't be any glitches or continue problems, etc...

Just pure MAMEy goodness and a lot more games, and they all run correctly...

hmmm hm hm hm hm hm hm hm hm :D

jstr
12th April 2009, 09:54 AM
Thanks to the advice folks. When Easter finishes I will order a new 48 in 1 board a new power supply.

MAME is an option, but I don't know how many more games my cabinet would get since it has a vertical screen orientation, needs screen flipping for p2.

I was thinking once I finish this project, I would buy an upright and put MAME and Hyperspin on it.

Regards,

Jesse

Arcade King
12th April 2009, 09:58 AM
if you want as close to the arcade as possible spend the extra money and do a mame set up or better yet collect original PCB's ;). Those 48 in 1's dont come close to MAME.

jstr
12th April 2009, 11:17 AM
I'm starting to agree with you about the MAME option. I just saw my girl friend playing a reasonably modern game on MAME with vertical orientation. I guess my plan of attack now would be to wire my case up to JAMMA so that way MAME should be a simple as using a J-PAC.

elvis
12th April 2009, 12:08 PM
Here's something to bake your noodle:

You can (almost) play these 39-in-1 boards in MAME:
http://maws.mameworld.info/maws/romset/39in1

MAME emulating MAME emulating arcade games. Layers of emulation plus plus.

li_gangyi
12th April 2009, 01:38 PM
I have always never understood why they'd waste their time on that LOL, the programming effort would be better 'wasted' on making other games run...

dezbaz
12th April 2009, 01:42 PM
I have always never understood why they'd waste their time on that LOL, the programming effort would be better 'wasted' on making other games run...

I never was able to get it going LOL

jstr
12th April 2009, 01:42 PM
Probably has Xibit, from "Pimp My Ride" contributing to the source control:

"Yo Dawg, I know you like to emulate games, so we put an emulator in your emulator so now you can emulate while you emulate"

elvis
12th April 2009, 02:27 PM
No waste. The 39-in-1 boards use an ARM7 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARM7) processor. Emulation of the processor itself is far more interesting than the games themselves, as it's quite a powerful little device, and one that's used in a good chunk of video games (arcade and console), iPods, poker machines, Stern pinball machines, embedded devices and other stuff. In fact, ARM sell more CPUs every year than Intel and AMD combined!

MAME is about emulating chips. Playing games is merely a "pleasant side effect". All the work that goes into emulating these 39-in-1 boards doesn't go to waste as it will go towards getting ARM emulation working that will go on to help other MAME titles and emulation projects in the future.

Look below the surface, and think long-term.

biggeorge
13th April 2009, 06:59 AM
You can play every game on a vertical MAME setup. Screen Flipping is not a problem either.

I pulled a chip from the skull of killer robot called the T1000 on the weekend, can someone give me the address of the MAME team so I can sent it off to them and get it added to the emulator.

Thanks.

jstr
13th April 2009, 08:21 AM
Oh I understand that MAME is capable, I have MAMESDL running on my media server at home and could see all those nifty things in the config file, I'm just wondering how many more games I would gain. When did game designers stop supporting screen flipping?

Now my plans are to buy a 48 in 1, nicely restore the cabinet, then buy a JPAC and upgrade to MAME.